“Could their steaks be better than mine? ”

Diamond Jim's and Mrs. Donna's Steakhouse
Ranked #39 of 143 Restaurants in Orange Beach
Price range: US$10 - US$33
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Could their steaks be better than mine? ”
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

Took the family on TA and a friend's advice. I told my young kids they "had" to get steak since it was an 'A' steakhouse. They worked with us since I have 5. Man did we all moan and groan about how good they were. A big time favorite of theirs is my steaks. After it was all said and done I asked 'em if their steaks were better than mine and I couldn't believe it but they all hesitated then said no. BUT I heard the hesitation.

1 Thank Lisnn

Evansville, Indiana
“Outstanding Food!”
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stopped after passing by the night before and then reading about it here. It was about 8:20 on a Wednesday evening and we still had to wait about 15 minutes. I had the most tender ribeye I have ever had and that was a well-done one. The flavor of the steak was delicious with a hint of spiciness. My husband had the pick two combo and his grilled fish was moist, tender, and had a great flavor. The twice baked potato casserole came in its own little dish and was a mixture of flavors topped with melted cheese. I've never had anything like it. Much better than any baked potato. It is a little pricey but the food is well worth it. The crowded parking lot shows that this is a great place to eat that is off the main strip. We will definitely return!

Visited July 2014
1 Thank GableFan
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing FOOD, GREAT people!”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

My family and I spent a week in Orange Beach, AL and ate at many places and this was my Favorite place to eat. First, they should have one of those planes that fly's over the beach telling everyone to go and eat at their restaurant!! Or this restaurant should be on one of those TV shows about good places to eat! Second, I don't eat seafood so I was glad they had other chooses like chicken and steak.

I got the steak and it was out of this world! The way it was seasoned was right on point and it was so tender. From what the other guest said they all like there food which was the seafood, but no matter what you get you have to get the side dish called twice baked potato casserole it’s by far the best thing I have ever ate! I wanted like a pound of it for the rode! I did not get to try the deserts because we were sooo blown away with the food and full we forgot to get cake for later but from what I heard they are all homemade so you can only imagine that they are as good as everything else!

During our time there we meet the owners (which work in the kitchen and that right there is a recipe for successes!) They were super friendly and really know what they are doing and run a wonderful business.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank claudia l
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent Food & Great Service”
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

I got the fried Oysters and they were delicious. Tasted the Ribeye. It was one of the best I've ever had. The "Twice Baked Potato Casserole" was the real star of the show. I'll definitely be back if I'm ever in Gulf Shores again.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Matthew M
Nashville, Tennessee
“EXCELLENT Food - Easily The BEST Meal In The Area”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Having spent a week in Gulf Shores late June for a family reunion (my wife's side), I was getting tired of the same-old seafood menu that nearly every restaurant in the area had. My father-in-law and I were craving a steak and since his birthday was the following week, I decided to take him out to a steak dinner. After word got out that my wife and I were taking him, our party size immediately tripled in size to 12 people. I called to make a reservation and the woman I spoke to on the phone handled it with no issues. She guaranteed us a seat at the specified time with no wait. I was stunned!

I have to be completely honest, as a foodie and I would never recommend a restaurant I've never tried to someone. But since the party size was so big, it was a lot of pressure on me. I just hate having a bad meal at a restaurant and would hate for others to encounter a bad experience. Luckily, it was unanimous that this was the BEST meal for EVERYONE. Having dined out nearly 3 times a day for 8 days, no other restaurant compared to Diamond Jim's.

I consider steak one of my favorite meals and I've been to several steakhouses, ranging from hole-in-the-walls to 5 star restaurants. The steaks here are to DIE for. Thick cut, huge portions, great marinade and spices, they literally melt in your mouth for a price HALF of what they should be. Even my wife, who eats her steak well done (blasphemy, I know) had the most tender & non-dry well done steak I've ever eaten.

My uncle-in-law, who ate at least a dozen oysters for every meal stated that the oysters at Diamond Jim's were the BEST he's had on the island. And these weren't skimpy oysters either. These where huge, meaty oysters the size of a child's fist.

My cousin-in-law ordered a pound of crab legs and loved them. They weren't just simply boiled snow crab legs, but crab legs with actual flavor and spicy BITE.

The salads are salads, but are very fresh and the ranch dressing is probably the best to accompany them. The sides however, are amazing. out of all the ones, the twice baked potato casserole was divine. I've never had potatoes like that. Buttery, cheesy, savory with a nice spicy kick.

Last but not least, based on the recommendation of another TA reviewer, we all had a huge slice of caramel cake to share. The cake was very moist and the icing was just right, not too sweet or overwhelming.

I would gladly recommend Diamond Jim's & Mrs. Donna's Steakhouse to ANYONE in the area. If you're having second thoughts or doubting it, do yourself a favor and DON'T. Just go. You'll be glad you did.

• Visited June 2014