“Not so happy!”

Holiday Inn Express Orange Beach
Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in Orange Beach
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the Holiday Inn Resort in Panama City Beach and had activites all day every day including hawaiian fire show and movie pool side. Great pool and beach access with pizza and bamboo grill with pool side bar to list a few. We left to come and check out Orange beach and was surprised to be charged practically the same price for a room that I had to wait until exactly 4:00 pm to check in and had a much smaller room (3) drawers and closet to put clothes, no safe and pool jacuzzi to hot to step in and beach water not as nice. I dont think I will return.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
christina g, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Orange Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Hi ConnieD,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with candid feedback about your recent stay with us. I am so sorry to hear that you did not have a great experience at our Holiday Inn Express compared to the Holiday Inn Resort in Panama City. I have personally ensured that the hot tub is kept at a temperature that does not exceed 104 degrees so that all of our guests can enjoy the hot tub. I am sorry to hear that you did not find the beaches in orange beach comparable to panama city beach. If you are ever back in the area and would like to give us another chance to serve you please feel to contact us for reservations. Thank you again for taking the time to provide us with candid feedback from your stay with us.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

I think you should rate hotels on the beach in a different category. Keep in mind they are constantly dirty with all the sand and water that folks track in. This in turn is very hard on the interior of the property, and almost impossible to keep clean. That being said, this beach hotel was far more worn and dated than others we have stayed at. And it was quite expensive. The rooms are tiny, the carpet is a scandal, and most of the rooms are not beach view. We visited during a very busy time (early June) and breakfast was a bit of a nightmare. The breakfast area is not nearly big enough for the number of people staying at the hotel, and the breakfast area is very dated and worn. The staff did a great job keeping up with everyone, and did their best to keep everything clean. This is not a staff problem. This comes from higher up and not making an investment in the property. I would suggest you stay elsewhere for the money. If you are paying upward of $300 a night, pay a little more to get a nicer property.

Room Tip: Request a beach view, otherwise you won't get it.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Liberty K

Hi Liberty K,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with candid feedback about your recent stay with us. I am sorry to hear that you were not impressed with our property during your stay However, I am happy to hear that the staff did a great job. Please be assured we have several property improvement plans that we are going to begin in the later part of 2014 and 2015. We take great pride in ensuring all of our guests have a great stay with us and I so sorry to hear that this was not the case for you. It is because of comments such as yours that we can improve our service to our guests. I certainly do hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you when traveling to the area.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

It took us about 5 hours to get to the hotel due to traffic. Once we walked into the small lobby, we quickly realized it was going to be a while before we could get checked in because there were about 10-15 people standing in line at the front desk. This was about 3pm...when it was our turn, we were told that our room was not ready and that they would call us to let us know when our room was available. We were also given the option to enjoy the beach/ pool/ pool bar while we waited. So once we packed our stuff back into the car, we wandered around to the pool bar for a drink. It was extremely hot out, but there was a pretty gusty breeze that made it tolerable. There were a couple of tables with umbrellas our there so we quickly appropriated one. Billy, the bartender is great! He is very personable and extremely helpful. That being said, we were still waiting for our room at 6pm. When my husband went to check on things, he was told that our room had been ready...yet no one called! The staff was very helpful and attentive during the rest of our stay, but this was definitely not a good way to start things off. The room was nice and very clean. We were in a handi-cap accessible room so the bathroom was extremely spacious. We were here for a long weekend trip and truly enjoyed the central location. Everything was about a 5-10 minute drive. I would come back here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Michelle T

Hi MichelleT,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with candid feedback about your recent stay with us. I am so sorry about the traffic that you experienced driving to the hotel. This time of year we have a lot of tourists that come to our are and at times the traffic can be heavy. Also I am so sorry to hear that you were checked into your room later than check in time. I completely understand the frustration due to this and in addition to that the traffic you experienced. I will make sure I speak with our Executive Housekeeper so we can ensure everyone is getting checked into their room in a timely manner. I will also celebrate with Billy the awesome comment on how he exceeded your expectations. We can't wait for you to come back again soon.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Loved our stay here! We had a nice, clean room with a great balcony view of the beach. Room was large and comfy with a king bed and pull out sofa bed. Good breakfast but very crowded. We took our back to our room and ate on the balcony. They had eggs, ham, juices, milk, yogurt, oatmeal, muffins. The staff here is amazing! They really go above and beyond. Maintenance guy brought suckers to my son while we had to wait for the elevator, he brought beach balls to every kid in the pool, and cleaned the pool flawlessly each morning. Front desk staff was equally friendly and welcoming! The housekeeping staff even called to check to see if we needed anything before they left for the day, since we had the do not disturb sign on our door. Pool was awesome with little fountain jets perfect for toddlers, kind of like a splash pad.

Room Tip: Ask for a gulf view room
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank bblovesthebeach
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We stayed here on a family trip. I am a IHG Platinum Member. I used my points to stay here for a week. The staff was really nice and the location could not be any better in Orange Beach. My family loves going to the beach every year. When we go back to Orange Beach, I will probably be staying here again!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

Rooms are great, comfy, spacious, clean. We didn't request a gulf facing room which I was kinda regretting. But our room is on the side facing another condo building and you can still see the beach. This was our 2 yr olds 2nd beach trip and he's had a blast. Breakfast was awesome and filling too. Pool is very kid friendly. Beach is relaxing. Not far from The Shrimp Basket which is a great quick midday lunch break. :-)

Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Brandy T
christina g, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Orange Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Hi Brandy T,

Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know how your stay was with us. I am so happy to see you had a great experience and your two year old had such a great time for their 2nd time back to the beach. We hope you come back to see us again soon.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Very clean room and the mattress was so comfortable! I wish I knew the mattress brand so I could buy one for home. The hotel was fully booked but we were never disturbed by other guests slamming doors or yelling in hallways. The walls must be thicker than other hotels.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Leah T
christina g, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Orange Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Hi Leah T,

Thank you so much for taking the time to let us now how great of a stay you had. The Mattresses in the room are Serta Perfect Sleeper extra plush. The beds are amazing and I am so glad to her you were able to have a great night sleep. We hope you come back to see us again soon.