“Very Poor Internet Means Long Nighttime Hours working not sleeping”

Budgetel Inn & Suites Birmingham Hoover
Pelham, Alabama
“Very Poor Internet Means Long Nighttime Hours working not sleeping”
Reviewed 5 April 2013

Really sorry to HAVE to report negatively but...These people advertise High Speed Internet (WIFI with a huge sigh out front) that routinely cannot get even a static web page. I have talked to the management and every day am told it is fixed when it isn't.

Very poor business decision considering the fix is EASY and cheap but they wont do it. DO NOT stay here unless you can do without internet. Unfortunatetly for me it is part of my job but is so bad they should not be legally allowed to even say they have internet.

The above said... they didn't care that it affected my work and got no sleep spending hours every night on internet that didn't work fast enough to capture static data...they just kept giving lip service but no internet service.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank K0nanI

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Hampton, TN
Reviewed 4 March 2013

The room was clean and the breakfast very tasty. The staff was extremely friendly and seems willing to help whereever needed. I was pleased with our two night stay. It looks like I have to add some more words to make this review acceptable.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bob V
Reviewed 27 July 2011

Worth the money if u don't need 5 star accomidations

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank lettr
new orleans, la
Reviewed 23 July 2009

I had a business trip to the pelham, al and riverchase area near the galleria.
My friends and I needed an extended stay near Riverchase area.
I found the rooms very clean and the hotel had been upgraded since my last
stay. The management and staff met all of my needs. I am very pleased with
our stay and so were my business partners.
Thank you Oak Mountain Lodge for everything

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
Panama City Beach, Florida
Reviewed 29 May 2009

My 2 daughters and I stayed there in November. We got there late in the evening and checked in with no problems. The rooms were in pretty shabby conditon and were well worn. We were on the second floor and there were no elevators, which really didn't bother me at all.

The rooms were very small. We had a room with 2 double beds. There was a small kitchenette as soon as you walk through the door. There was only one small dresser. The linens were well worn and thankfully I brought my own blankets and pillows. The carpet needed to be ripped out and new put in. Even with a steam cleaning, I don't think these carpets would ever come clean. We never could get the thermostat to work properly. Either it was too hot or too cold, never just right. They did have wifi and we used it with no problems.

The bathroom was dated and small, but it was clean. The room served its purpose for us and I can't complain too much because I got an amazing rate on it. The major complaint I had was with just us 3 girls, I didn't like all the construction crew men loitering in the parking lots and hallways at night. Also at night, parking was a huge problem. The construction full size trucks (like electrical trucks with buckets) blocked alot of the parking spaces for the cars. It was hard to manage backing out if they had lined the street/parking lot with their trucks.

I would recommend this hotel for construction workers/guys on business trips with an extended stay. I probably wouldn't stay there again and wouldn't recommend it to families.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank pcbtmmgr
Birmingham, AL
Reviewed 19 May 2008

I tried to stay there in May of 2008 but was refused. I stayed there a few years back, while relocating - as I am doing again, and overlooked the poor conditions because it was only to be for a few weeks to months while I found a home. As is the case now. When I stayed before, they asked me to leave because of my Service Animal. When I refused, they withheld housekeeping and maintenance. I only went back because I needed a temporary location - not by choice, but, they refused me a room --- remembering me as the "disabled lady with a dog"! When I pointed out that is against Federal Law, I was told that it "doesn't matter"!!! Apparently, U.S. Law does not apply to them. Furthermore, the laundry room is poorly located, the parking lot is set up inconveniently, and, there were always men loitering outside, drinking alcohol, and saying lewd things. Not a good family location nor a place a woman would want to stay while traveling alone.

I usually have something nice to say about everything/everyone but I am at a loss this time...no redeeming qualities that I have witnessed. It's just a horrible place.

• Liked — Cannot think of anything good there.
  • Disliked — Prejudice against the disabled.
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank MeemzBirmingham_AL
sumter, sc
Reviewed 3 January 2007

Oak Mountain Lodge formerly known as the Suburban Lodge - is disgusting.

It is clear that it is not properly cleaned at all and also that the staff there are aware of this and either cannot afford to pay for the cleaning or do not care, I suspect the latter as you will see below. Firstly all advertisements for this hotel mention a kitchen in the rooms. To call what was in there a "kitchen" requires a giant leap of the imagination. This so called kitchen consisted of two dirty heating rings and a filthy microwave. That’s it. No silverware. No cups, glasses, plates, pots or pans - nothing. In addition the tiny food preparation area was covered in a sticky substance flecked with hair that looked like jam but I could not be sure. Clearly though this had not seen any kind of attention as far as cleaning goes. Already quite disgusted I continued to look around the rest of the room. I could easily smell mould in the air and this was because the windows are surrounded by it. Mould and gunk about 1cm thick lines the base of the window where it slides open. To my horror I found two used cotton buds covered in ear wax lying in the groove where the window opens nestled in the filth. The small table propped against one wall was dusty and sticky also having not been cleaned in quite some time. After a start like this I shuddered at the though of crawling between the threadbare sheets of the sagging bed. I could never bring myself to get in this bed - and could not possibly imagine sleeping there with my girlfriend. I gingerly peeled back the sheets holding my breath in anticipation of what I might find. At this stage I was beginning to feel sick. I went downstairs to the office, faced the attendant and the 7 or 8 clearly visibly "No Refund" signs surrounding him, and demanded that they give me a full refund. The thought of having them pocket almost $200 of my limited funds in exchange for 3 nights this neglected hovel was beginning to make my blood boil. After protesting their no-refund policy for several minutes, the attendant finally caved in and agreed to come and see the room. It quickly became clear after he gave the room only the most cursory of glances that he was not interested in discovering the state of it at all. Already aware that it was filthy, he was only interested in ensuring that I had left it untouched so that he could rent it out to someone else. Finally, I got refunded and couldn't get out of there quick enough.

• Liked — the refund
  • Disliked — the filth
  • Tips/Secrets — Never stay here.
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank plaxdan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pelham
La Quinta Inn & Suites Birmingham Hoover
Best Western Plus Oak Mountain Inn
Sleep Inn
Sleep Inn
#5 of 10 in Pelham
Homewood Suites by Hilton Birmingham-SW-Riverchase-Galleria
Hampton Inn & Suites Birmingham-Hoover-Galleria
Holiday Inn Birmingham-Hoover

Been to Budgetel Inn & Suites Birmingham Hoover? Share your experiences!