“Great hospitality, clean rooms, lousy beds”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites - Pell City
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Pell City
Augusta, Georgia
“Great hospitality, clean rooms, lousy beds”
Reviewed 27 March 2012

I've stayed at this hotel many times over the past few years. The first thing you notice about this hotel is how clean it is when you walk through the front door. It smells nice and lemony fresh, and the front desk attendants are always smiling. Check in is very quick and easy, and the rooms are always clean and fresh. They're a little small, but if you're travelling alone, it's no problem really. Until recently, I've had no issues at all with this hotel. However, the past couple of times I've stayed there, I've had two complaints. First, the beds have recently begun to sag and get very lumpy. Also, the mattress pads they use are not "fitted", so they tend to bunch up during the night, making it very uncomfortable to sleep on them. I haven't had a very good night's sleep there in awhile, I kept trying to tell myself that it couldn't be the same with all the beds in the hotel, but unfortunately, it seems that it just might be the case. The other issue I've had is with the temperature control. It is pretty much impossible to get the room at the right temperature. It seems to take forever to get it cooled off, and then you wake up during the night with icicles hanging off your nose. I've tried everything I know, and I've even called down to the front desk, but it's just very hard to control the thermostat.

One other thing I've noticed... the cost of the room at this hotel is the same as a 4 star hotel in Birmingham. That just seems a little high, but maybe that's just me.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank JennJ5501
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites - Pell City, responded to this review, 29 April 2012
Dear Jennifer T,

I'm happy that you decided to stay with us, and I'm glad you enjoyed your time here. I am sorry you were not happy with the bed. you comments on the bed and the AC will be shared with the appropriate departments. We always welcome any opportunity to improve.

Thanks again,

Katie J
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 5 February 2012

Nice middle of the road hotel just off of I-20 - stayed two nights while visiting family in PC. Comfy beds, wifi included (important) and nice, clean lobby and breakfast area. Delish cookies in the lobby each pm. Staff was pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Coco7746
Pensacola, Florida
Reviewed 3 January 2012

We always stay in HIE when we come to Pell City to visit family. Recently we had a hiccup in our stay, but the front desk staff got in contact with the manager and she was on the phone calling us at 10pm to make sure all was okay (we had just got in, so she didn't wake us or anything). The rooms are comfy and cozy. We used a crib during the stay,and it was safe(non drop side/appropriate mattress and sheet combo) for infants for parents like me worried about SIDS. They always have a smile on their faces here, and are willing to help. Why stay anywhere else?

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank lorzarn
Tifton
Reviewed 14 December 2011

Feels like home. Our group has been staying at this hotel for several months, and we have all been treated like family! Amazing staff!! Will be sad to go!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank David T
Littleton, Colorado
Reviewed 27 November 2011

This is an older but reasonably well-kept structure. Our two-queen suite was spacious and clean, with Bigelow tea packets in the room. A perfectly decent value for the money in a still developing area. Outstanding reception from Tiffany. Out of seven receptionists during seven nights of stays in different hotels each night, several with excellent receptionists, Tiffany receives the "top star" award. During the evening hours they provided cookies, ice cream and cheddar cracker packs and peanut cracker packs. NOTE that 1/4 of the top (3rd) floor is for smoking rooms -- plenty of smokers here in tobacco country. Strong smell on that side of the hall but our room was okay -- a hint of smoke but workable. 2nd and 3rd floors appear to be smoke free. Cannot say that the mattresses were up to HIE standard. Soft, still decent, though. Bedding did smell fresh. Lots of fast food / sit-down eateries nearby plus Walmart Supercenter, Cracker Barrell, Subway, Arbys, McD, BG, etc. Breakfast fare normal HIE standard.

Room Tip: Ask which floors do not allow smoking.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank 1frontranger
Jackson
Reviewed 1 November 2011

This hotel is very nice and close to Talladega Super Speedway. I stayed here during race weekend and was very pleased with the overall presence and atmosphere of the hotel. The folks working here were very nice and helpful. Walmart is across the street and Cracker Barrel next door. The room was nice. I had two queens first floor so location was nice. The room had your usual items as most hotels do...frig, micro etc. The beds seemed a little old or worn out. I see from other reviews I am not the only one who noticed this. When I first sat down I sank to the bottom it felt like. Just seemed the mattress had no support at all and this was the case for both beds. Overlooking that I did sleep pretty good so either I was just exhausted or these beds did make a difference. Checkout was a breeze so upon my departure I would definitely recommend this hotel even if it is not race weekend.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank crwchief6
Mobile, AL
Reviewed 30 October 2011

This is a clean and friendly HI Express. I had stayed at the Hampton next door the night before (they are owned by the same company). I didn't think I would need the second night and had checked out. When I realized I would need another night, I decided to try the HI since it was about $10 cheaper. While I had no particular problem with the HIE, I found the Hampton to be worth the extra few dollars. The bedding more comfortable, rooms a little nicer and the breakfast bar certainly better. In fact the breakfast is the only thing that was somewhat of a disappointment. Lot's of fatty foods and not a single piece of fruit in sight.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Comfort Inn Lincoln
#1 of 3 in Lincoln
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Talladega
Hampton Inn Birmingham / Leeds, AL

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites - Pell City? Share your experiences!