“Best in the Area!”

Good for: Groups, Kids, Child-friendly
Savannah, Georgia
“Best in the Area!”
Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

We live at Ft. Benning and always eat Mexican in Columbus. We were in Phenix City to visit a friend and ate here. It was the best we've had in the area. The chicken fajita nachos were amazingly delicious! The margaritas are good too. Definitely will be back!

Columbus, Georgia
“Great Service”
Reviewed 21 December 2013 via mobile

My family and I ate here while we were in Phenix city visting our father. We stopped here for dinner and we were extremely pleased. The food was delicious and the service was great. Very nice restaurant and I would definitely eat here again and would recommend this restaurant to everyone that is in the area.

Groton, Connecticut
“Great Food!”
Reviewed 27 November 2013 via mobile

This was the first time I had been here in 8 years since I moved out of the state. The food was as great as it has always been. The new location was even nicer than it was before on 280 bypass. It has more room. I took my wife there for the first time tonight. She is from CT so she has never been to El Vaquero and she enjoyed the food.

• Visited November 2013
Hoover
“A Random Stop For Lunch Unveils a Gem of a Mexican Restaurant”
Reviewed 6 October 2013

En route back to Birmingham, AL from a TV game in Valdosta, GA, our group was famished on a recent Sunday afternoon, so we opted to take a chance and stop at El Vaquero in Phenix City, AL. None of us had ever even noticed it before, let along heard a word about it, but there were cars in the parking lot at 12:30 p.m. on Sunday, so in we went.

We were greeted by a very nice hostess and a manager, and quickly offered our choice of tables. I've traveled Mexico, and I can tell you that the interior decor is very much resembles what you will see in the nice restaurants in Guadalajara's suburbs and Puerto Vallarta. The chips were warm and the salsa was fresh, and had a nice "kick" to it. There was no hesitancy at keeping the baskets of chips and bowls of salsa full, either!

The menu covers a wide range of Mexican food, with quite a few house specialties. The lunch menu is available on weekends, so I chose Item "X," which was a vegetarian combo of a burrito, a enchillada and rice for $7.50. The lunch menu ranged from as little as $5 to $8 for fajitas, but portion sizes make the prices a very good value. The dinner menu was $1 or two higher on each item, but nothing outrageous.

You construct your own veggie combo, and all I wanted was mushrooms - and that's what I got: a REALLY GOOD mushroom burrito and even better mushroom enchillada, with high-quality Mexican white cheese inside. The red sauce over the top had the right tomato flavor, again with a bit of "kick," and I was very pleased. Our portions were large, to say the least - and this was a lunch size.

One of my guests' combos featured a beef taco and beef burrito; the other chose a Mexican steak salad. Both are large eaters, and both were very pleased with the quality and portion size.

Throughout the meal, the three of us were regularly checked on, and soft drinks refilled as needed. The only negative is that the sweet and unsweet tea wasn't good - in this part of the country, that matters. The tea tasted like it was from a dispenser, rather than truly brewed - it it was brewed on the premises, it was on the low end taste-wise.

I also watched what other folks were ordering and saw the same large plates piled with food. I wish I had ordered a small guacamole (a favorite appetizer for me), but I did not want to over-eat, given the multi-hour car ride that would follow.

To-go cups for soft drinks are provided at no extra charge. There are lots of TVs scattered around the restaurant, and you had your choice of the NFL, ESPN, ESPN Desportes and non-sports programming. The floor plan is large and features the heavy tables and chairs you typically see all over rural and suburban Mexico. There is also at least one "wing" that is somewhat separated from the main restaurant area - a group of 50 people could easily be accommodated in that semi-private area - and they would be very satisfied after the meal ended!

There is a full-service bar in the front. The restrooms are clean. There is plenty of parking, and the traffic light at the corner makes it easy to get in and out.

All told, this was a VERY SOLID choice and one I recommend.

• Visited September 2013