“The Ying and Yang of it.”

Red Roof Inn Columbus - Phenix City
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Phenix City
Riverview, Florida
“The Ying and Yang of it.”
Reviewed 15 August 2013

We ended up at this hotel after we refused to stay at another local hotel for our planned vacation. On first blush, this place seemed better, but I have to say that you definitely get what you pay for. The best element of our stay was the breakfast and the food at the in-house restaurant, AJ's. The staff was always very courteous and helpful. The pool was clean and there weren't any problems with other guests.
Inside the rooms, things fell apart a bit. There was obvious damage to the walls (holes, cracks, peeling drywall). The A/C units all leaked across the walkways, leaving spots where mold grew. The biggest problem was the bugs. We were in three rooms, and all three had roaches. I saw at least 6 in three days. How many more were there that I didn't see? Not a place for the squeamish.

Room Tip: Try an upstairs room for better pest control.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Laramie, Wyoming
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Short version: THIS PLACE IS AN UNSAFE DUMP WITH RUDE, INCOMPETENT EMPLOYEES AND MANAGEMENT. DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!

Long story: I booked this room for a quiet place to stay prior to an early morning triathlon event. The first red flag was the 2 cop cars and description of a fight that had just occurred when we checked in. I was not too fond of the rooms having exterior doors after this first impression. I specifically asked for a quiet room....HUGE MISTAKE. We were put in a room in the back (I should have read the reviews more thoroughly or would NEVER have stayed here due to safety concerns).

Room issues: the bathroom light didn't work, the place was covered in mold, and the bathtub drain was clogged, the TV was the least of my concerns but it was bad too. In the morning, after my race, we returned at 9:00am. All I wanted was a shower and a nap before we checked out. Both proved to be difficult or impossible thanks to the staff here, as someone had entered our room, removed all the soap and shampoo, some of the towels, didn't clean and didn't replace anything....really weird. So, we had to track these things down and received rude service in the process. Right when I was about to get some needed sleep before a long drive, THE WORST: construction noise in the room next door. A circular saw was being used to cut wood right outside our room. I called the front desk and the woman acted like that was no big deal, eventually told us that the manager said there was nothing that could be done. I disagreed. I solved the problem in 1 minute by politely asking the workers to do less noisy work whilst there are customers attempting to sleep in the next room. They stopped. When checking out the woman was defensive and argumentative. THIS PLACE IS AN UNSAFE DUMP WITH RUDE, INCOMPETENT EMPLOYEES AND MANAGEMENT. DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!

Room Tip: choose a room at another hotel
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank COadmAL
Clawson, Michigan
Reviewed 24 June 2013 via mobile

Would highly recommend this hotel. Breakfast was great, Staff was very helpful. Place was super clean. Ate dinner at A.J.'s which is connected to the hotel. Food was fresh and delicious and the portions were large. Great place for families.

• Stayed June 2013
Reviewed 14 June 2013

there are some positives and negatives the positive things are the staff super friendly especially Tameka who works down in the lobby she was so gracious to my husband and my son and myself during our stay and just to see her smile again and to deal with her again we would definitely come backaccommodations there's mold in the bathtub needs re caulking there's staples in the carpet in the doorway to the bathroom I cut my toe on there's no weather stripping in the front door and bugs came inin the book it says breakfast is any day until 10 but the sign is different when you going to eat and as my husband and I were already in there I saw not to make a but another lady with dark hair and a gentleman close of the entryway after she saw two ladies with their small children trying to come in and eat I thought that was so horrible they couldn't make special accommodations for the children and it was their own error out of the book to deny children food was only just a couple of minutes before or after the allotted time to me was horrible managementI'm not sure who that lady was but if that would mean I have my children I wouldn't have been turned away so easily and I would have asked to speak with the ownersthe pool temperature was wonderful but the water itself was a bit murky and they don't have steps to come in and out only the handrails that slip inside the side of the pool for me as I was getting off the deep end this is the steps are an even better attach to the handrails and I slipped and hurt my knee on the side of the pool which was very painful and I now have a bruisethe time of the bar and grill opening also needs to be addressed we were told to and then we were told 3 and then the lady in the bar when she came she apologize to us she was very nice that she herself couldn't even open until after she spoke with the management which took an extra 15 or 20 minutes and so she wasn't able to see her customers in till 330 which is okay but if you're told a certain time in your planning around that time and its so hot out it's disappointing not to be served especially when you're out of town and you have family members with youthe whole staff was very nice and very accommodating and for those reasons we would definitely return so a big fat think you to the staff members your big smiles and your starry eyes you made us feel right at home and we're clear across the country from California I hope this review help improve these few small things that were needed Tammy and Matthewread

• Stayed June 2013
Daphne, AL
Reviewed 14 June 2013

We have been staying at Quality Inn in Phenix, AL for work. We have had a wonderful stay. Tameka, the front desk manager, has always made sure we had what we needed. The breakfast is a spread with options of biscuits and gravy, scrambled eggs, a meat, boiled eggs, and many other options. There is AJ's Bar and Grill that has great food as well. If you will be in Phenix and need good quality for a good price, I would highly suggest staying at Quality Inn-Phenix, AL

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Many hotels were booked due to the big soccer tournament everyone came for. We came to the room with only 1 towel and 2 rags in the room. The room was decently clean, but the TV was from the 1980's and sure looked like it. One time housekeeping couldn't give us any towels or rags for about an hour because all of them were being washed. This was very inconvenient because we had to go to a game. The location was pretty poor because it seems to be in the middle of nowhere, but after about a mile of driving you seem to reach civilization. In conclusion, this hotel is clean, decent, and gives you the bare minimum, but there are many hotels that we went to in the area to meet friends, and they were much, much better.

• Stayed May 2013
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed 28 April 2013

I am going to have to land smack-dab in the middle on this one; I have several mixed emotions about this stay. We took the trip to see my former gunner's Ranger Graduation and knew from living in Columbus that we wanted to shy away from staying there; so this was a good alternative with a straight shot down Hwy 280 into the Fort Benning gate. We arrived early, so that we could see him the day before on pass. I went to check in 45 minutes early to the 3 pm recommended time & the front desk made me wait, because not all the linens had been changed yet. So I left and checked in that night while putting our luggage in our buddy's room. The staff was not unfriendly- quite the contrary on most instances, but they could have been more helpful. The room was adequate-nothing fancy; but did have hard countertops, good carpet, descent furniture and an older tube TV. About what you would expect from a two-star. I did not like that the rooms all had walkway access, seems to go along with the security issue of other reviewers. Also, there were a large number of contract workers staying there; which could explain some of the past violence observed- none observed during our stay though. The walls were not really thick, but the room seemed pretty clean. The shower water pressure sucked, because they implemented some green water conservation shower head on it that they proudly told you about in a pamphlet on the back of the toilet. The best thing about the stay was the nice cabana and outdoor pool, along with their easily-accessed AJ's Restaurant that had entertainment and drink specials. My wife appreciated the all-day coffee service and the complimentary breakfast was the best that I've had outside of near-luxury accommodations (the eggs were real scrambled- no powder here!).

Room Tip: Walls are thin, so don't get a corner or outside room (Rm 204 on North Wing was pretty good) Th...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Courtyard Columbus Phenix City/Riverfront
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Phenix City-Fort Benning Area
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Columbus Fort Benning
Value Place Columbus Bldg. 2

Been to Red Roof Inn Columbus - Phenix City? Share your experiences!