“very nice lodge in secluded place,but.....”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pisgah
Lodge on Gorham's Bluff
Ranked #1 of 1 Pisgah B&B and Inns
Jasper, Alabama
“very nice lodge in secluded place,but.....”
Reviewed 25 October 2012

Just spent last Saturday night at the Lodge at Gorham's Bluff in Pisgah AL. The room was pricey even with the 10% discount, but the room was beautiful....The Parton Suite on the second floor. Beware this lodge has NO elevator so you have to carry your bags upstairs. The suite had an electic fireplace or gas fireplace...not sure. When the girl showed us to the room I asked how to turn the fireplace on....she did not offer to tell me. She said to use the remote control and I asked where it was. It was not in the room. She said she would get one and bring it up. That never happened. We went down and asked for it and she said she had called housekeeping to see if they knew where it was. We kept asking and she kept saying they never called back. She never offered to give us another one or tell us how to turn it on. Finally I had to ask her how to manually turn it on and she told me. When I finally got it turned on the flame was so little it wasn't worth the bother. The check in lady seemed very busy and with no help. We had a 7:30 reservation for dinner and we were informed upon check in that "Something had happened and they only had 6:00 or 6:30 available for reservations for dinner". We never were told what happened nor apologized to for having to change. The meal was good though...rib eye was good and so was the dessert. The service was good, but the staff was not very experienced. We took our own bottle of wine since they serve no alcohol and encourage you to bring your own wine, with no corkage fee. They did open the wine, but did not pour a tasting of it first and never poured any of it in the wine glasses.. I feel like they did not know they were supposed to do this. We had room service the next day and the girl had no idea of where to put the food. I asked her where other people were served their food and she said she was always told to leave the food on the tray outside the door! We cleared a table by the bed and had to bring a chair in from the balcony so we could sit down and eat. The food was good but the Applewood bacon was the thinnest sliced I have seen anywhere. They did not bring any butter for the grits or toast. The food was good though.
The view from our balcony was beautiful and worth the money. The balcony was large and had two rocking chairs. My husband noticed that the property is showing some wear and the resort is not keeping up with repairs and maintenance. Some of the homes that rent are in very poor repair. Again the view from Gorham's Bluff of the TN River is gorgeous, but there is nothing else at all to do in this area. It is very remote and miles from Scottsboro. There is nothing to do in Scottsboro and no decent restaurants there. We had to bring our own luggage in and carry it upstairs. Handicap accessible is out of the question. I asked about this as I have a friend who cannot climb stairs and I was told because they only have six rooms they do not have to be handicap accessible and ADA doesn't apply to them. The restaurant had nice small tables set up and there is a fireplace in the restaurant. The chef is new and the Lodge no longer offers the famous Sunday lunch. This chef has experience in Scottsboro and that was all they could tell me about him. It was an enjoyable night, but I wouldn't go back again. Once is enough. The bed was good and comfortable, linens were clean and the room was clean. The Lodge itself needs some fairly minor repairs though.

Room Tip: If you have a problem climbing alot of stairs do not go here! No televisions in the rooms but that...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jeannie b

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 14 July 2012

This was my second trip to The Lodge at Gorham's Bluff and I was thrilled that the Executive Chef, Keith Izydore was still there. The dinner and breakfast were out of this world. I told Keith he could give Frank Stitt at Highland's Bar and Grill in Birmingham a run for his money! My husband and I stayed in the King Room. The decor was lovely and you can't beat the view. I highly recommend staying here!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 1Leslielee
Fort Smith, Arkansas
Reviewed 9 July 2012

A friend and I stayed here for a girls' weekend out. We had the only room with two beds (so plan ahead). The lodge is out in the middle of nowhere on a bluff overlooking the Tennessee River. Spectacular view from the balconies. Ours had two rockers and a table. Enjoyed sitting each evening and watching fishermen on river. Room has a rock fireplace for winter and is quite large with very large windows and lots of natural light. Has two very comfortable chairs by fireplace where you can totally enjoy being lazy. Downstairs is a beautiful sitting areas and the small but elegant dining area. (You can have all three meals here if you elect to do so.) Areas around the lodge has many upscale country houses , as this is suppose to be a property for weekend second homes. However there were few people around so felt a bit isolated. There is a nice pool here just across the way. Food was good and there is a chef. Coffee is brought upstairs and placed on a buffet at 7am and you can walk down the hall and get a cup to bring to your room. Now, about the flip side: first there is no elevator or anyone to help with luggage so you must wag your own stuff up to the second floor. My friend could not so I carried both. There is no TV in the room or phones. That's fine with me but not for everyone. At night, the lighting in our room was not good. My friend could not read by the light and I could barely do so. The draperies are lovely but do not block the moring light so if you require a dark room for sleeping this will not work. Bathroom has jacuzzi tub and shower combo which is fine but only body wash is offered, no bar soap, and I don't like the slippery, slimy feel of that. (I know, small but at a highly rated place like this I would expect a choice.) Staff is nice and they always spoke to us but their trainning level for this type of lodge was, in our opinion, below par. The server was a very young person who removed the dirty dishes by stacking them up on each other at our table. She twice forgot to bring silverware for our soup or oatmeal. Filet was wonderful. Strawberry shorcake was some kind of breadlike offering with ice cream. Not my idea of strawberry shortcake.So did we like it and who should go? Yes we liked it. For what we wanted it was fine. (We wanted a unique place to day trip from and one where we could retun about 5pm and relax and enjoy the surroundings.) Dont come if no TV or phone is a problem. Ditto things to do, day or night. You will have to drive about one hour to Chatanooga or Huntsville, which for us during the day was fine. Dont bring kids. No room service but there is a guests pantry where you can walk downstairs and get free drinks, ice cream and packages snacks. Other than the pool and walking, there is nothing to do but relax. This is a hidden away place that is very private and quiet. Unplugg and contemplate or, day trip. Just depends on your needs I guess. It is in Pisgah, AL. If you do go here, go to Scottsborrow to the Unclaimed Luggage Store. It's a lot of fun for a few hours.

Room Tip: appears that all the rooms overlook the river and have balconies but you might be sure to ask.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank rivermom1
Alabama
Reviewed 1 July 2012

My wife and I celebrated our 39th anniversary here this weekend. This lodge is one if those timeless places. It is not old but it is made to look like it is and the whole place is so inviting and comfortable. We would have checked out the trails had it not been 103 degrees but it was nice and cool inside.
The lodge rooms are furnished with reclaimed furniture that adds a nice homey touch and each room has a private balcony overlooking the river. Paintings and books abound at this place and the staff makes you feel so welcome.
The food is out of sight and us worth the trip for sure even if it is a little pricey. We met the chef after breakfast and he sent us home with tomatoes from his garden even!
We will definitely be back in cooler weather maybe fall to enjoy the foliage and the fireplaces.
This is one place that is defintely worth finding, seeing, staying, dining, and enjoying.

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank TownsendTraveler
Evans
Reviewed 24 June 2012

The Lodge on Gorham's Bluff is not easy to find, but it is well worth the trip. The directions on their website were clear and accurate and they had signs posted on the roads as we got closer. Our room was spacious, comfortable and well appointed. (Our only complaint was low wattage bulbs in the lamps.) We enjoyed great meals and the views from our room over the Tennessee River were awesome. We were sorry when it was time to go and hope to return soon

Room Tip: We stayed in the Woods Suite, a corner room with 2 queen bed, two armchairs and a hassock in front o...
1 Thank Barbara P
Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed 11 June 2012

Needing a much needed weekend of quiet and relaxation, my husband and were pleased to find Gorham’s Bluff – a beautiful lodge sitting atop Sand Mountain outside the sleepy little town of Pisgah, AL. What a find this place was! With a spectacular view of the Tennessee River, the lodge itself houses 6 suites but if you need more privacy, there are 10 cottages around the property that you can rent. My husband and I stayed in one of the cottages. It had all the amenities of home and then some. It had a quaint living room with kitchen and full bath downstairs. The upstairs was a king bed room with full bath. The furnishings were luxurious. The whole place was impeccably clean and it was truly hard to leave at the end of our short weekend getaway. The lodge’s restaurant should be a destination itself, but we were delightfully surprised at how it compares to some 5 star restaurants we have eaten at in much larger cities. I am surprised that the executive chef Keith Izydore is tucked away in this little countryside lodge restaurant. Culinary talents such as his are usually enjoyed by big city restaurant diners.
We would recommend this secluded lodge for anyone wanting to get away from it all and relax. Definitely eat at the restaurant. You will not be sorry. Be sure to watch the sunset behind the lodge – breathtaking!

Room Tip: If you want a view of the Tennessee River, you might want to stay in one of the Lodge's suites...
1 Thank CCkirk
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 4 June 2012

My wife and I spent the weekend at Gorham's Bluff and really enjoyed it. At first we worried there wasn't much to do, and then we were thrilled there wasn't much to do. We sat on the bluff and looked at the river, we rode bikes along the bluff, we had a picnic on the bluff and we walked along the bluff. The breakfast, boxed lunch, and dinners were outstanding. The other guests were very friendly. There were tons of books to read, and we went swimming twice. It is a 2.5 hour easy drive from Atlanta, and we highly recommend it for a get-away-from-it-all trip.

Room Tip: The two rooms on the third floor are hugh, but don't have porches. The four on the second floor...
1 Thank Verdun
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pisgah
Comfort Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
#3 of 10 in Scottsboro
Hampton Inn & Suites Scottsboro
Quality Inn Scottsboro
Quality Inn Scottsboro
#4 of 10 in Scottsboro
Red Roof Inn & Suites Scottsboro

Been to Lodge on Gorham's Bluff? Share your experiences!