“Great Place for any event”

Grand Hotel Marriott Resort, Golf Club & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Point Clear
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I've been here for conferences for the past four or so years. It's a great place for a conference, a family getaway or a romantic getaway. The staff are well trained, courteous and helpful, the room was wonderfully furnished and quiet. Children of all ages will love the giant pool (which was some time ago the largest in the country), not to even mention the tennis and golf facilities and the City of Fairhope. There's not enough space to list it all.

Room Tip: Live Oaks in front of some rooms are beatiful
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank George S
Kevin C, Resort Hotel Manager at Grand Hotel Marriott Resort, Golf Club & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Thank you for sharing your recent visit to The Grand Hotel Marriott, we are very fortunate to have you with us over the past several years. We are thrilled to earn you enjoy your trips to The Grand and that the many activities keep everyone happy. On behalf of the Grand associates thank you, we look forward to your return.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

Took my wife to Grand Hotel July 9-11 for birthday, which included for her Spa, massage, facial,
and so forth. She advised that these were the best she had ever had! Also included: lunch for two days, & glass of wine or champagne.Room was very good, although you could hear guests in
next room; view was not of yacht basin but of part of golf course, and no wake up call was
received next morning. Otherwise, service was excellent; you called for golf cart pick up to go
too dinner or elsewhere on property; was able to catch nice speckled trout from dock & had it
broiled for appetizer. Restaurant was good; service good, but Kobe beef filet not as good as we thought it should have been.

Room Tip: ASk for room facing the Gulf.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank enochs
Kevin C, Resort Hotel Manager at Grand Hotel Marriott Resort, Golf Club & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Thank you for recently visiting and sharing your experience while our guest here at The Grand Hotel Marriott. We are very happy to have provided an enjoyable visit including Spa, fishing and dining. We thank you for entrusting us with this special birthday visit and we hope to see you again in Point Clear.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

I will start off on a positive....Point Clear and the town of Fairhope are utterly charming and lovely and worth a trip. Oaks with dripping Spanish moss, stately old homes, and lovely views of the sunset over Mobile Bay. One feels like you've stepped back into a simpler, happy time.
The bad part--unless you are lucky enough to have a friend who owns one of the above stately homes or you come across the rare rental, you're pretty much stuck with the Grand Hotel, which stinks, both literally and figuratively.
My husband and I had heard of the Grand Hotel since moving to Alabama a few years ago. My mother-in-law went there as a child on family trips; we had friends here who raved about the pool and the family-friendly nature of the place; so we booked a long weekend over the 4th to go and check it out.
Even driving in, I was a little surprised. Elegant, it is not---a hulking, ungainly brick building. The reception area and lobby are dated, to say the least-dark, with cheap looking antiques and rugs, and god-awful art and large multi-media collages on the wall (some for sale for a whopping $22,000) that look like something a high school art student threw together. Now, I GET that the original building dates to 1847, and I have nothing against antiques and understand that they aren't trying to be the W Hotel, but the decor is just cheap, y'all. We went up to our room (1209 in the old "main" part of the building, and opened the door and were a little speechless. Even my 9yo son said, "umm, is this really our room??". My 7 yo daughter said, " I thought this places was supposed to be "grand"? It smelled like many decades of damp and mold; the upholstery on the pull-out in the tiny sitting room may have dated to 1958, and some of the wooden panelling (which is all over the main building) was actually warping-- I wish I'd taken a picture. The vibe was rural motor lodge chic, and not in a cool, retro way. Did I mention the smell? The bathroom was so small that our toiletries kept falling into the toilet, and the main bed was nothing to rave about. Please keep in mind that we were paying a whopping $450 a night. The room wasn't even clean-there was a streak of sticky stuff on the wall in the bathroom above the trashcan. On top of that, the rest of the resort seems tired as well. The grounds aren't being kept up as they should, the bikes we borrowed were in horrible shape, and we were charged $40 to use the second pool down the street owned by the Grand.
If the room had been $150, I might have known what I was getting myself into, but for that kind of money, I cannot stress more that you should avoid this place.

Other great family destinations that we've been to in the southeast that are similarly priced are Reynolds Plantation outside Atlanta, The Grove Park Hotel in Asheville, NC, and Palmetto Bluff in South Carolina. All classy, with gorgeous grounds and activities, elegant dining spaces, and comfortable, clean rooms. Blackberry Farm is clearly in another league, but if you really want to splurge, that's great for families too.

We had a great trip because we had friends down in Pt. Clear, but we will not be returning. Ever. Such a shame for an old institution to fall into such a state. I don't know whether to blame Marriott (who manages it) or the owners.

Room Tip: I heard the spa building has the cleanest, most modern rooms, though I never saw one. Avoid the main...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank suz1000
Kevin C, Resort Hotel Manager at Grand Hotel Marriott Resort, Golf Club & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Thank you for recently visiting The Grand Hotel and sharing your perceptions. We are obviously sorry to learn this Resort didn't provide the experience you were expecting. Thank you on behalf of the team and all our best in your future travels.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

This was the 5th time that I stayed at this hotel. My children and I love it, it has many activities and truly is home away from home. The rooms are spacious and clean, and the staff was nice and friendly. I work at a school so every year we come here and I enjoy the discount that working at a school affords me. I don't have any complaints, the only thing that I would have to say was the days I stayed. Usually we stay during spring break, but this year there were no discount days available. If I had to change one thing, I would have to say more availability for the RSA discounts. Overall the trip was wonderful, the rooms were great as usual, many activities as I stated and they also offered appetizers in the evening. Also the afternoon tea was a joy to attend. I can't wait for my next trip, we came home a couple of days ago, and I already miss the hotel .

Room Tip: If you have children the double beds are good to have , as well as a roll away bed, my children love...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your recent visit to The Grand Hotel Marriott. We are thrilled to know the entire family enjoyed their visit and the many activities offered. We are very happy to see all of our RSA guests enjoying a Summer visit with us and hope to see you again for your 6th visit soon. On behalf of The Grand family thank you.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Made a reservation but it didn't matter. When we arrived the "grand" hotel changed it. Said there are no guarantees. Stuck us in a pathetic little room. Poor customer service. What is the point of a reservation!

• Stayed: July 2014
6  Thank Wagster5678
Kevin C, Resort Hotel Manager at Grand Hotel Marriott Resort, Golf Club & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Thank you for recently visiting and sharing your experience while a guest at The Grand Hotel Marriott. We apologize for the experience during your visit, it certainly isn't what you should expect from us. I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you further regarding your visit if you would contact the Resort. Again our apologies and I look forward to speaking with you.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

This is our second trip to the Grand Hotel Marriott Resort and the second visit did not disappoint. The staff could not be any friendlier, no matter who you meet. The grounds are absolutely beautiful with big old trees with tons of character spread throughout the entire complex. I love walking around the small ponds and seeing all the gorgeous trees. With the property sitting right on the bay, there are some gorgeous views. We spent most of the weekend at the pool which was great.

What could be better?
Ask for a view of the water when you book your reservation. The first time we came we had a view of the bay and we liked that room a lot better than the one we got this time. It definitely seems like the building you stay in will determine the quality of the room as all rooms are not the same. But it was the 4th of July weekend, so they were very busy. And parking was a nightmare but again I think that is because it is the 4th of July.

All in all, I would highly recommend this property to anyone looking for a nice get away. We will definitely be coming back.

Room Tip: Ask for a bay front room. There are plenty of other options with less than favorable views.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jhobackatl

Thank you for your 2nd visit to The Grand Hotel. We appreciate your trust in us for a special Holiday get-a-way and look forward to your next visit to Mobile Bay. For the entire team here at The Grand thank you for your recommendation.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

We just returned from a trip to The Grand Hotel ( check in Sunday, June 29th, check out Wed. July 2nd). This was our 4 th visit and we have always had a wonderful stay. This time we were very disappointed with our check in process and room we were given. When we made reservation we chose to be in spa building and chose 2 queens ( which it said that choice was guaranteed). We had 4 people staying in the room. We arrived to check in early about 2:30 p.m. with 17 people in front of us in line. Once at desk we were told the room we requested ( 2 queens w/ balcony ) was not ready. We could either wait or go ahead & take something else. We chose to wait & went to pool & checked back @ 4:00 p.m. At that time, we were told all they had was a king , and no balcony . When my husband reminded them of what we were told , they just told us it was not available & we should have not been told that. They then said they could send a roll away, which we were then charged for @ check out. A king bed is not suitable for 4 people. 3 people in a king bed & 1 in roll away is not comfortable. At the very least, we should have not been charged for the roll away. Needles to say, no one slept well on the trip. We were very disappointed, as we have always had wonderful service with our previous trips here.

Room Tip: The spa building is newer and has larger rooms with queens as opposed to doubles in older sections o...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Jennifer C
Kevin C, Resort Hotel Manager at Grand Hotel Marriott Resort, Golf Club & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2014

Thank you for once again visiting The Grand Hotel Marriott. We apologize for the difficulties you experienced with your room assignment while our guest. We work very hard to provide a all our valued guest an experience you deserve, we obviously fell short. We certainly hope you enjoyed your visit otherwise and would welcome the opportunity to improve upon your experience with a return visit. Again our apologies and thank you for brining this to our attention.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Point Clear
Homewood Suites by Hilton Mobile-East Bay-Daphne
Staybridge Suites Gulf Shores
Staybridge Suites Gulf Shores
#1 of 25 in Gulf Shores

Been to Grand Hotel Marriott Resort, Golf Club & Spa? Share your experiences!