“Great B&B in central Alabama”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Prattville
Smith-Byrd House Bed & Breakfast and Tea Room
Ranked #2 of 2 Prattville B&B and Inns
Knoxville, TN
“Great B&B in central Alabama”
Reviewed 25 September 2013

We enjoyed a short overnight stay at the Smith-Byrd House in Prattville. This a great way to break up the long drive to the Gulf coast. David and Beth have lovely old home and were very gracious hosts. Breakfast was wonderful and we were served scones, omelette, juice, coffee and obviously tea. We used the room downstairs and the king bed was very comfortable. The bath has a very large shower. There is also a claw foot tub but we did not need it. The house was in good shape and seemed very safe (up to code). On house this old there will always be ongoing maintenance activities visible

Room Tip: Only two rooms and we did not go upstairs.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KenC_Knoxville_TN
SBH_Innkeepers, Manager at Smith-Byrd House Bed & Breakfast and Tea Room, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
We are honored that you chose to stay with us. Thank you for letting us serve you.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Reviewed 20 April 2013

Headed for a special event in Montgomery, Alabama, but want a quiet spot to stay? Book a room at this charming Queen Anne B&B in nearby Prattville, Alabama.

Innkeepers Beth and David Melling are charming hosts. The Inn is beautifully decorated with period furniture. With the atmosphere and exceptional breakfasts, the Smyth-Byrd House is a great value.

The Mellings accommodated our schedule by serving our breakfast early. They also offered local restaurant recommendations that were spot on.

We've stayed in many B&Bs. This one's a hidden treasure. Do know that the Mellings are still in the process of renovating the home meticulously. And they will have an elegant Painted Lady upon completion.

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank MSullivan52
guntersville,AL
Reviewed 14 April 2013

I did not stay in a room here so my review is just for the tearoom. The Smith-Byrd house is a beautiful victorian style house built in the late 1800's. They had some of the most gorgeous azalias in full bloom!
The room I was seated in had a variety of table settings. All of the tables were covered with white tablecloths and preset with mismatched china, which I loved! Fresh flowers on each table, too. I ordered the Princess tea which included a bottomless pot of tea and a three tiered stand of tea treats. It was $16, which is quite reasonable for the amount of food you receive. For $21 you can order the Queen's tea which includes all of the above plus quiche and a salad. The menu also offered other combinations of salads, quiches, scones, sandwiches and treats.
Their tea menu is HUGE! Many , many types of tea and flavors. What is great is you can try another flavor or two since their teapots are "bottomless". I chose peppermint bark for my first pot. The tables had containers of artificial sweetners for the tea as well as sugar cubes. They also offer cream for your tea.
The tiered service was brought out and the owner, Beth, explained what everything was. There were 2 types of scones and they include whipped cream and lemon curd. The scones were quite good.
The sandwiches offered were chicken salad, a spicy pimento & cheese, a cucumber & cream cheese and a chocolate marscopone cheese and strawberry. The pimento and cheese and the strawberry one were very delicious.
Finally,on the top tier were the desserts. There was a cookie of some sort( not my fav), a chocolate orange brownie( very dense and good) and a creme brulee ( very, very good and my fav).
The mint was so good that I bought a bag to take home with me. I tried a second flavor, a toffee flavored one. It was good but I just prefered the mint.
Theyo have a gift shop with many tea items such as strainers, china cups and saucers, lotions and such.
I really enoyed the food and the ambiance of the old house. The owners were very friendly. It was a truly relaxing time! I'll go back the next time I'm in the area~

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank mmjtr
California Hot Springs, California
Reviewed 30 January 2013

Everything we have ever eaten here has been delicious, tasted very fresh.
Unusual menu items make it better than an average tea room.
The owners are very friendly and attentive.
They also have a gift shop and overnight accommodations.
A beautiful place, it feels like a little bit of history preserved.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank elllmt
Reviewed 29 January 2012

I spent my honeymoon here and anniversary ..I can't wait to go back! From the incredibly kind keepers and best grits you will ever find to the stroll to church. Simplicity is sometimes hard to find.... not here ... home away from home! Oh and the best nights sleep away from my own bed!

• Stayed October 2011
3 Thank kzaz
Orlando
Reviewed 31 January 2011

The bed and breakfast was very clean and friendly, however, it was a bit too cozy for us. The owners of the B&B actually live in the house, right up the stairs from the room we were in. We felt like we had to be extra quiet and come back to the room before they went to bed so we didn't wake them up. They were very nice, just not our idea of a comfortable weekend vacation.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple