Montgomery Marriott Prattville Hotel & Conference Center at Capitol Hill
Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Prattville
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Found a roach in the bed”
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I could tell you all the arresting details about how lovely and luxurious this hotel looks, but all of that fades into insignificance once you find a big black bug in the bed. Game over, not interested, a Motel 6 looks better at that point. My husband was taking some pillows off his side of the bed when we found a big nasty bug below the bottom pillow laying on the sheet. I ran to get some tissue to grab it before it skittered off, and it was only when I scooped it up that I realized it was already dead. I quickly flushed the disgusting thing, and after that, we were just totally grossed out by this hotel. We found this after I'd been laying in the bed for hours already on the opposite side of the bed and my husband had lain down right on top of it for about an hour when we first arrived (icky), and were really tempted to ask for another room, or a change of bedding (sleeping in our car crossed our minds for a minute). But it was late and we were exhausted by the time we found the bug, so we gritted our teeth and stayed put.

Some other problems included thin walls. The guests next to us had the TV blaring for hours, and you could hear it very well. It's not the hotel's fault if people blare the tv, but the soundproofing could be better, especially at what I would think of as a luxury hotel, a place that seemed like it would be a treat to go to. I was too exhaused to even call down to the desk about the noise because we were travelling, and every day that we have a long drive it for some reason knocks me out and by the time we get to the hotel I go straight to bed. So the noise started around 6 or 7pm and lasted until after 10 or 11 I think. I was dozing, but kept surfacing because of the noise, then I'd drift back down for a bit. When my husband got back (I'd told him to go out with friends alone because I was too exhausted), I asked him to call the front desk about the noise, and to their credit they called the other room and the people did turn the tv down.

Thirdly, the AC was a pain. The room had a balcony (a nice perk). We stepped out when we got there, looked around, went back in the room. The room was freezing, so I turned the AC down. The next morning, it was very hot, so I tried to turn it on -- to no avail. A sign on the balcony door says the AC will not turn on if the door is open. Well, we doubled-checked, the door was shut tight. Still no AC. At this point we were so fed up with this hotel that we tried to get ready as quickly as possible in the heat so that we could get the heck out! Didn't even want to spend the time to call the front desk to ask about the ac, that would just hold us up from getting out. But it was very unpleasant and hot getting ready to go. I went out to the balcony to take a last look, and when I came back, the AC worked! So apparently it's not that the balcony door has to be closed to make the AC work, but that if you've opened it at all you have to close and open it again. They need to fix the system or give better instructions.

Another thing we noticed is that some of the guests, well, seemed loud and obnoxious. I'd noted other reviewers here talking about golfers getting special treatment, wasn't sure what they meant. But perhaps it means some golfers are there for a party weekend and get wild or loud or just a pain to be around? Don't know, haven't hung around many golfers. But there was a little bit of people being loud, rude and thoughtless.

Other than that, I will say when we first walked into this hotel we were impressed. It's beautiful. The room was beautiful. Had a balcony, a little bench on one side of the bed, a comfy armchair on the other, and a desk. The sink area was separate from the toilet/shower area, which I always like. There was a mini-fridge and I think a microwave. The furnishings and decorations in the room seemed good quality. We were thrilled when we first walked in. Before the night was over, though, we knew we'd never stay there again.

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 10 July 2013

I have stayed at this property on golf trips and travel to Destin. The Hotel is right on one of three golf courses at Capitol Hill. The staff is very professional & accommodating. Called for Breakfast Room service 5 minutes before kitchen was scheduled to close. They pleasantly took order and I also requested news paper if possible. Fifteen minutes later breakfast arrived with not one but two newspapers. Had minor issued with TV, called front desk and they sent staff to room within 5 minutes to repair. The housekeeping staff is very friendly and seem to enjoy working for Marriott. If you are looking for a quiet, affordable, beautiful place to stay, I highly recommend this hotel. Last stay was June 29, 2013.

Room Tip: Highly recommend room with golf view and balcony. The view of the Links style golf course will give...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Coastal South Carolina, South Carolina
Reviewed 14 June 2013 via mobile

We spent one night here on our way home from Florida. It is a large, well maintained complex. All the staff are pleasant and helpful. We had two queen sized beds in a spacious room. The shower is unique with a fantastic shower head. There is no complimentary breakfast but there is complimentary coffee in the lobby. You can't go wrong staying here.

• Stayed June 2013
Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
Reviewed 26 May 2013

Marriott is a good hotel chain, this one has nice rooms very nice bar and restaurants, pool, hot tub, fire pits and of course is located at The Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail which is why we went there. The staff were friendly and are fully trained, not like the Marriott Auburn Opelika at Grand National which I also reviewed.
I like Marriott Hotels but it is 2013 why can't they just include the WIFI and not charge extra, REALLY??

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Richard K
Reviewed 24 May 2013

I was down for work in the Montgomery area and had the weekend free. Wanting to play the Capitol Hill golf courses but not have to travel all the way back to where I was staying, I decided to stay at the Marriott. First it was a very good deal as I was able to stay under the government rate (almost half off the rack rate) and the hotel was very accomodating with moving me when I was initially unhappy with the location of my first room (right next to the elevator). Room was nicely appointed and comfortable with an upper scale feel to it.

The hotel restaurant/bar is fine if you are just looking to relax and get a quick bite or drink. Don't expect it to be more than that and you will be happy. Food was good for both dinner and breakfast.

An excellent choice, especially if you can get a reduced rate.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Hinesville, Georgia
Reviewed 2 May 2013 via mobile

Me and my daughter arrived Friday night of Easter weekend only to find out the online representative had booked us in a one bed instead of two doubles. Of course they were all sold out of doubles. They called Marriot Courtyard and they were sold out as well, at this point I was tired and almost frustrated when the manager on duty Ms.Sharita (forgive me if I have the name wrong) offered us a room with a King and sofa pull out. She took her time and went and cleaned the room and prepared it for us. Brad was also very nice concerning the situation. The young lady that worked Easter Sunday when we checked out was very nice as well. I always stay at this Marriott when I come to my home town and this was the first issue I ever had, and because of the way they went out of their way to accommodate us it will remain my stay of choice when I visit. Thanks for a Great stay!

• Stayed March 2013
Cumming, Georgia, United States
Reviewed 25 April 2013

It can be annoying if you are not a golfer to stay on the weekend. But,I have now stayed here twice. They are clean and go beyond the call of service. A bit pricier than the other hotels but well worth it. Skip the steak house though.

Room Tip: Stay away from the elevator.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family