“Comfortable Place to Stay”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Saraland
Houston, Texas
“Comfortable Place to Stay”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I stayed here in March 2014, and I thought the room was very comfortable. I was traveling across the country, and I was not on vacation. For this type of trip, I thought Econo Lodge provided everything I needed. The accommodations were clean and comfortable, and the room had a microwave and small refrigerator. There is a WalMart close to the hotel, so it's easy to purchase a healthy alternative to fast food, and prepare it in the room. I was traveling with pets, and I noticed advertising stating that this hotel is pet-friendly.

I've been to other hotels that have a continental breakfast, and I think this Econo Lodge was about average in terms of the breakfast selections.

I enjoyed my stay here, and I would stay here again.

Room Tip: It was raining when I stayed here, and I wanted to get off the road and out of the rain. The Econo...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Bernadette V, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review. Our goal is to make each guest stay a satisfying one and I was happy that we did that for you. Thank you and hope to see you again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Greer, South Carolina
Reviewed 1 May 2014

I was traveling to New Orleans with my wife, and we decided we would stop and spend a day in Mobile before continuing on to Loiusiana. I had booked this hotel ahead of time through choicehotels.com, and upon arriving, we were greeted by a very friendly staff member. we received our room keys and we very surprised at how large and clean the room and and bathroom were. The property was quiet at night, and we slept nicely, very comfortable bedding. i dont understand all the bad reviews, unless i just got lucky and happened to arrive on a rare good day here. checkout was a breeze, i was asked how our stay was and if i had any problems during my stay, and i didn't. the breakfast was about what you would expect from a value property, some fruit, cereal, bagels and a waffle maker. juice and coffee were available to drink. i would definitely stay at this Econo Lodge again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Bernadette V, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
On behalf of the staff and management we would like to thank you for your kind words. It is truly rewarding when a guest recognizes our staffs efforts and takes the time to say thank you.We thank you for your business and hope to see you again soon!
South Bend, Indiana
Reviewed 15 January 2014

The price was right, that's why we chose this hotel. The first room we got was not very clean, but we decided to deal with it for the price. Light bulbs were out over the sink and the room was very dim making it hard to see. Both bedspreads had cigarette holes in them, even though we got a non-smoking room! The frig had rust all over the door. The bathroom light was hanging down, loose and the door hit it when you open it! So, you couldn't open the bathroom door all the way! When my husband and I got into bed, the top sheet had a big stain on it.....looked disgusting. When our son got out of the shower, he said the water was cold!!! That was it.... my husband went to the front desk and asked for a different room!! We were too tired to leave and find another hotel at that point.

The next room was just as bad as the first! The water was lukewarm. There were rips in these sheets. The next morning, my husband was the last to shower and the warm water was gone!

Breakfast was minimal! They had NO BUTTER! The girl at the front desk was eating a waffle and apologized with her mouth full of food! They had NO oatmeal, a few donuts, only one cereal to choose from, NO bananas and one dried up orange and 2 apples.

WE WILL NEVER STAY AT THIS PLACE AGAIN...it's not worth the money!!!!!

Room Tip: Check it out BEFORE you reserve it on line!!! Seeing is KNOWING what you're getting into!!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Bernadette V, Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, 17 January 2014
I am very sorry to hear you were unhappy with your stay at our hotel. I apologize for not meeting your expectations and I assure you we have addressed the hot water issue. If there is anything else I can do to resolve this issue please give me a call.

Travellers are raving about these Saraland hotels

Cleveland, Georgia
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Checked in here because this is where someone else from my company was staying. First off easy check in. but that was the last good thing. Stairwell to room smelled like old seafood. Bed was uncomfortable, Not enough wall outlets. TV displayed more static than anything else. Breakfast was horrible, You have better choices at a gas station.

Room Tip: Stay anywhere but here.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Bernadette V, Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, 6 August 2013
I would like to thank you for taking the time to write us a review letting us know what we need to improve on to make our guest stay comfortable. On behalf of the staff and management we would like to thank you for your business.
Macclenny, Florida, United States
Reviewed 21 July 2013

The people are so nice and go out of their way to help. Made decaf coffee for my husband with no hassle. Brought extra pillows when we asked. More things for breakfast than most places. ill stay here again if we are this way.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Bernadette V, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, 25 July 2013
I would like to thank you for your kind words regarding your recent stay. It is very rewarding when a guest takes the time out to say thank you. Thank you for your business and we hope to see you again soon!
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 6 July 2013

We were passing through Mobile and just needed a night's rest from all the driving, so we decided to chance it on Hotwire.
Upon opening the door, I knew it was a mistake. The carpet was dirty, the room had a musty smell. Although the bed sheets looked ok, the bed skirts were obviously never changed out and cleaned. There was a sheen of mildew on them, with green moldy spots. The bathroom was moldy. The shower curtain rod was installed upside down, so both sides of the curtain would open and slide towards the center while showering. Our room was right by the stair case, so we were able to hear people talking and walking up and down the stairs. We kept telling ourselves we just needed a shut eye and will be out EARLY! But I guess the hotel wanted us out sooner-we were rudely woken up at 5am by a wake up call that we never ordered. "Breakfast" was a joke. We left feeling more tired than when we checked in.
We have never stayed at an Econo Lodge before, we never will again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank J S
Bernadette V, Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, 9 July 2013
I want you to know the comments we recieve from our guest are taken very serious and I can assure you action has already been taken so this dont happen to any other guest. I also would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review. The reviews we recieve help us to better serve you.
Alabama
Reviewed 23 April 2013

Let me preface this with I stay almost exclusively at Choice Hotels when I travel for business. Last time I was in Saraland for business I stayed across the street in the Quality Inn and thought I had a bad room/stay. So this time I tried the Econo Lodge in Saraland., My check-in experience was painless with a very professional Desk Clerk and quickly had a room. The rooms all open to the outside and I couldn't help but notice vast amount of trash piled up next to all the over-flowing trashcans outside.
I walked into my first room and the TV was on, bed pillows piled up, and a bag of clothes on the bathroom sink, so back to the front desk. I had no issues getting a second room and I was off again. The second room had a bad smell (similar to old smoke) but I was tired and didn't want to fight it. I found long black hair in the bed cover (that went immediately to the floor), on the bathroom sink, and in the shower. The TV was old and the picture was completely shot. I went to sleep on the less than comfortable beds and was awoken around 0330 hrs by the trash truck that was emptying the 2 dumpsters. Upon check-in, I declined a wake-up call, but received a call at 0530 hrs. It was a rough night but I was looking forward to a decent breakfast and then heading out.
I stay at Choice Hotels often and was completely disappointed with the lack of options when it came to breakfast time. They had the bare minimum fruit loops, juice, coffee, and waffles. As quick as I walked in to the lobby for breakfast, I turned around and headed to the Waffle House for breakfast; great service at the W.H. was the saving grace this morning. I'm glad to write reviews for the places I stay and this is the FIRST time I have written a negative review. Although I will continue to stay at Choice Hotels, I will not ever stay at this location again.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Bernadette V, Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, 24 April 2013
I want you to know that I was very alarmed by the problems you encountered during your stay with us. I assure you that I will take the necessary steps to resolve these issues. I want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive from our guest are taken seriously. Your willingness to share your recent experience is genuinely appreciated.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saraland
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Saraland
Best Western Saraland Hotel & Suites
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Saraland/North Mobile
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Mobile/Saraland
Wingate by Wyndham Mobile
Hampton Inn & Suites Mobile/Downtown

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!