All reviews main bure other guests dive master manta reef fish low tide dive staff local village dive sites organic garden world class cocktail hour great diving spent a week no electricity bug spray days diving
Reviewed 24 July 2007

It has been a few months since I have been back from my trip to Matava... and not a day or nearly an hour has passed without recalling my stay. I knew I wanted to really get away from civilization but I didn't expect to be fed and looked after so well not to mention stay in a lovely burre with an ocean view.

The diving was incredible but you can read several other reviews on that topic. The extra activities were equally remarkable. The overnight kayak trip to a neighboring village was a great adventure and my guide, George, was fantastic. I mentioned I wanted to see a sea snake and within a half hour into our kayak trip we found one slithering up the rocks. I also spent a couple of days fishing which were amazing. There is nothing like freshly filleted Yellow fin tuna on your plate that you caught a few hours earlier. I booked a 22' yacht for a half day cruise with a fellow traveler. We had a lovely day with fantastic snacks while sailing around the reef.

I would recommend this resort to travelers that really want to get to know the Fijian lifestyle and people. Although Matava has no electricity the staff can recharge your camera batteries, and the kerosene lamps at night create a wonderful atmosphere. The Matava staff were funny, helpful and what my grandma used to call "good folk". I extended my stay to a full two weeks and I could have stayed longer... I am definitely planning on going back.

Date of stay: May 2007
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
3  Thank carmenrae
Reviewed 18 July 2007

From the flight to Kadavu to the flight out, our Matava experience was delightful in every way. The plane could not hold all the luggage with a plethora of divers and their equipment, so, what did the airline do... used one aircraft for people and the other for luggage.
We were met by the Matava staff at the airport and whisked away to the resort. The boat trip wended its way through aquamarine water flecked with silver fish, dotted with reef in a rainbow of hues, blue stars, and a myriad of fish.
Greeting us at the resort were Maggie and Ta who explained the protocol - the conservation aspects, the layout, the loli (sp?) meal call and then off to meet the dive masters.
Our bures were freshened by the tropic breezes and surrounded by lush vegetation. One even had ripe papayas that could be picked from the deck! The views from the bures were through the coconuts with waves pounding on the distant reef and the blue Pacific ocean in the background.
We quickly became family and were welcomed with a kava ceremony and incredibly harmonious Fijian songs. The meals fed our hunger after hours of diving the great Astrolabe reef, meeting giant mantas, delighting in delicate soft corals, hard corals in every shape and size, and being chased by clowns when we invaded their territory.
A delightful vacation, one that we will never forget and that we plan on duplicating in the near future.
Vinaka and Mahalo ... for fulfilling our dream vacation!

3  Thank WahineHanapepe
Reviewed 14 July 2007

Friendly people, friendly places. It is a pleasure to wake up every morning. Welcome to hot coffee, fresh tropical fruits freshly picked flowers and on special days, mini bagels still warm from baking that morning. Enjoy the communal breakfast talking about the night before and the up-coming day's events. So many choices of what to do and advice given from the guests who've been there for a while and suggestions for newbies that have just arrived.

If you are a diver, you are fully taken care of by the dive shop and staff. All you have to do is be there when the boat takes off- everything is taken care of for you. Not only are they helpful with gear troubles or questions that may come up, they are also extremely knowledgeable in their dive sites as to conditions and safety.

And then the diving.... Sites that are absolutely astonishing at times. The visibilitiy allows you to see up to 50 meters at its best. At its worst, you are still seeing minimum of 20 meters, which for the pristine condition of the coral is more than enough.

The variety of things to see along the Astrolabe Reef is never-ending, impressive and astonishing. Having dived in other places in the South Pacific, I can say that Matava has some world class dive sites where you can see on a regular basis- mantas, sharks, amazing hard and soft corals, and a variety of species that I have not seen anywhere else. What many divers see and cherish are taken for granted
in this area.

Then the food. It is amazing that they are able to provide such a variety of dishes so well-prepared and presented flawlessly. The organic garden provides fresh greens, fruits and vegies and what they
cannot grow themselves, is brought in by local farmers. The fruit especially is amazing and the freshness of something that has been picked that morning cannot be matched.

My stay there was a magical experience that I will never forget. The staff became my family in the short time that I was there and the resort is a place I dream about ever since I got back. In a time of decadence and 5 star resorts, it's nice to take the time and effort to travel to such a remote place to be treated not only like royalty but like family and an equal who is welcomed into the culture with open arms.

4  Thank benzadrene
Reviewed 13 July 2007

what can i say!but perfect one day,better the next!matava was everything one could want in a holiday,the best diving I've done in fiji,world class fishing the best results one could ask for,and as for service and food well say no more,the beer was cold,the food off the planet 5star+and just the whole resort oozed good karma which as a guest you noticed,the staff had perpetual smiles and were always well presented, not to mention the management the guys were hands on with daily activities and always had time for questions on the best options for day trips,or any activity you wished 2 persue whilst here...the bures were very well presented,clean,fully mozzie proof,running water,flushing toilet and our "shalet"had views you could only dream of...as an "eco resort"matava for us was what the doctor had ordered so to speak!peace,tranquility,and the best medicine" Bula time"dont u wish u could bottle it and take it back 2 western society?my advice is go go go life is too short,and we are here 4 a good time not a long time!we shall be back vinaka giovanni/katherine

4  Thank giokat
Reviewed 9 July 2007

We spent a week at Matava in November 06 and it was everything we anticipated and more. I'm not a diver but my partner is and he did some brilliant dives, seeing mantas and sharks and a myriad of other wonderful things. The highlight for us was walking to the local village and swimming under the waterfall with the local children. So magical, we did it twice! We also snorkelled, walked to the top of the Island, checked out the beautiful organic gardens and spent a lot of time lying around, relaxing totally. The food & hospitality was great and we loved sharing our meals and experiences with the other guests. This is not the place to go if you want fancy pools and bars, but if you want to get away from the "regular" resorts and off the beaten track a little, then this is it.

Date of stay: November 2006