“The best dive travel location I have ever had.”

Matava - Fiji's Premier Eco Adventure Resort
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Kadavu Island
Reviewed 7 November 2010

Arrived at Kadavu airport early afternoon. Took a short 5 min. ride to the dock area. I waited for my boat ride to arrive. It was 45 mins. to the resort. I enjoyed the scenery along the way. The postcard Palm tree lined beaches. As we pulled up at Matava dock there was Magee the resort host. Was greeted with a warm smile. The people at the resort and the village are the friendliest I have ever meet. The feel at Matavamis that of family. They check in my dive gear and placed my bags in my room. Offered my a drink and briefed me on how things are done there. Meals were family style. Varied menu, seafood, poultry,,etc. On several occasions through out the week we had Sasheme from the catch of the day. First time for me, it was very good. Plent of food to eat, if you went away from the table hungry, it was your fault. The kava there was really potient. It is a Eco Resort, so you would think that met roughing it. But just the opposite. My room was decked out in hard wood flooring, beautifulfking size bed. Bathroom had lights. Plenty of hot water in the shower. Both were provided by solar power. The deck out front of my Bure gave me a breath taking view of the bay and the reef father out. What a view! Down in the main Bure where we had our meals you could charge your batteries for your cameras ans laptops if you had one. The diving there was out of this world! Boat rides were no more than 25 mins at the longest. Easy back roll off the boats. Vis was 80 to 100 plus feet on most dives. The dive guides were very attentive. They were great at finding the critters small and large. Nudi branchs to Mantas. Leaf scorpian fish, grass eels, Blue ribbon eels, clowns, sea crates( sea snakes). Fields of hard corals of all types. Soft corals of every color. The one thing that was outstanding was that on every dive no other dive boats that I could see. It was like you had the entire reef to your self. We never had more than 6 divers on any dive trip. So if you like having alot of ammenties IE: getting massages, lying by the pool. You may need to look elseware. If you want to relax in a laid back atmosphere and feel like you are visiting a family friends place, this is the operation for you. Best divie vacation I have ever had. Kudos to there entire staff!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank dwyatt

Reviewed 30 October 2010

If you want a relaxing holiday with great diving in a small, secluded resort then Matava is for you. The staff are fabulous (especially Maggie!) and the accommodation is very comfortable - the views from the Honeymoon Bures are definitely worth the extra few dollars. If you want cocktails by the pool and large crowds of people stay on the big island - Matava is about getting away from the rat race. Snorkelling off the beach, awesome diving on the Astrolabe Reef (Naigoro Passage is one of the best dives I've done), and relaxing afternoons on the deck of your bure.

Overall, very highly recommended, and the sort of place we would definitely return to.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank amcp_10
Reviewed 10 October 2010

Stayed only 9 days at Matava Resort and loved every minute. Wonderful staff, VERY friendly and always around if you need anything at all. Beautiful food (& heaps of it!) gorgeous views from our tropical bungalow & awesome diving. Dive staff really look after you & take you to all the best spots. Great knowledge of the area and surrounding reefs. Highlights of diving were turtles, manta rays (up close) and lots of sharks! Not to mention colorful corals. Will definitely go back there.
Anj & Rob (Victoria)

2  Thank anjishyper
Reviewed 16 September 2010

My wife and I traveled to Fiji two weeks ago. First week on another Island, then a week on Kadavu. We stayed at Matava which my wife found on line after extencive research. And I am so greatful that she did. Matava is unlike any place I have ever stayed. Remote, peaceful, beautiful and the staff warm and freindly. I hurt my ears diving the first week so was unable to experiance the Famous Astrolab Reef. But my wife dived everyday and had the most amazing dives of her life. I had incredible nature walks. One with the local medicine man(Malachi). I visited his home, saw his plantation , shared a papaya with him. We walked into the jungle to find Parrots, King fishers and other tropical birds.
I bought kava from him and enjoyed some good talks.
Amanda and I enjoyed a kayak trip to one of the villages where they hosted a lunch for us. The food was colorful and tasty and the locals were warm and friendly. The setting was something out of the movies. Lush and peaceful.
Some other travelers joined us on another day to walk to Kadavu village.Amazing jungle walk and steller village with one of the coolest waterfalls I have ever seen.
Richard ,(one of the owners of Matava) was a great host and made our stay pleasurable.I loved the group dinning . And enjoyed our other guest. The time to reflect in peace with no other distractions was something I will treasure for a long time. This is a special place. And anyone who takes the time needed to get there will be well rewarded. Thanks to the whole staff. And Thanks for the New Zealand wines. Thanks for making one little spot on our troubled earth so right. Thanks Thanks Thanks..............

1  Thank pzenk
Reviewed 9 September 2010

Stayed at Matava fishing for 8 nights, certainly the best all round experience I have had in many years. Staff led by Maggie at the resort are the friendliest people you could ever hope to meet. Real people who go out of their way to make your stay one to remember.
Food is all very fresh and presented extremely well ( considering this is an eco resort) .
I f you are after noise, nightlife, bright lights and a 5 star hotel this is not for you.
However if its peace and tranquility with amazing views, crystal clear water where you can sit back and have a quiet drink and chat with fellow travellers you will not be disappointed. The fishing led by Adrian and his deckie Joe aboard their game boat "Bite Me" is world class, nothing is left out in their quest to help you catch your targetted species. You can be assured if you dont take your own rods and tackle the gear they provide is as good as you could possibly get, from heavy tackle right down to custom made ultra light gear.
Overall a beautiful place, and the hosts (Richard and Adrian) work very hard to make it a trip to remember.
The only bad thing is that you eventually have to leave and come home.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank Seamunkee
Reviewed 4 September 2010

I'm not sure where to start. Everthing they promised was true. i am not a ritzy big resort kind of girl, i like low impact, away from it all places and oh my, what an amazing place this is. And i must say the few criticisms i did read made me chuckle and want to go there even more. walking thru the mud at low tide was all part of being in touch with the rythms of the sea and land. we were greeted by maggie, the magical host with the most .dined everynite on incredible food [don't worry about going hungry here!] with owner richard and the small group of interesting and fun guests. I admire the commitment to solar power and hurricane lanterns.The super comfy simple bures had all i needed, although you shouldn't spend too much time in them, there is too much to explore. The early breakfast drum tells you it's time for a huge breakfast.then it's off to dive the great astrolab!! the dive staff was professional, safe, and just super fun. Richard took us out one day, what a treat! took a little kayak jaunt led by george to a local village for lunch. George was so much fun and told us all kinds of kandavu history and intrigue. Did some solo hikes with squacking parrots. Village visits with crazy boys jumping from 60 foot rocks around the waterfall. more food, more diving, good wine, laughter and a common love of the sea. We loved everything about matava. can't find a single bad thing to say. i want to go back!!!! Vinaka

1  Thank AmandaSueMyers
Reviewed 1 August 2010

Matava is the perfect place to experience the beautiful part of Fiji that is Kadavu.

The location is great, overlooking the lagoon and then to the outer reefs in the distance.

The friendly atmosphere created by the owners and the incredible staff (led by the incomparable Maggie) feels just right and the communal dining tables allows a relaxed, informal interaction with the other guests over the fresh and varied food.

The Bures are reasonably simple but very nicely done with decent amenities (lights, running water, proper toilet, shower etc.) considering that it is an eco-resort and very remote.

There is plenty to keep you as active or inactive as desired. Snorkelling is great between the resort and nearby island and others guests said the diving nearby is 1st class. Other activities include boat trips, private beach picnics, surfing and a real highlight of visiting the nearby school, village and waterfall.

The island of Kadavu is a window into the Fiji of the past, untouched by many of the historical colonial influences or present political contrivances.

We really cannot recommend Matava enough if you are looking for something different and beautiful. Set your expectations accordingly (remembering it is an eco-resort and a long way from anywhere) and you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
#2 of 2 in Waya Lailai
Kokomo Private Island Fiji
Kokomo Private Island Fiji
#1 of 1 in Yaukuvelevu Island

Been to Matava - Fiji's Premier Eco Adventure Resort? Share your experiences!