“Blissful balmy holiday destination”
Review of Papageno Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kadavu Island
Papageno Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Kadavu Island
australia
“Blissful balmy holiday destination”
Reviewed 28 January 2012

We've been to Papageno resort twice now, it's a 20 minute boat ride from Kadavu airport and Kadavu is about a one hour flight from Nadi. Papageno is remote, and pristine. It is staffed by the locals so when we visit the village, to listen to gospel singing or other cultural activities we are visiting the same people who cook, garden, clean and generally take care of us while we are holidaying. There is a real sense of community and friendship.
It's a marine park outside the resort and I can kayak to the edge of the reef and snorkel serenely above the coral and fishes, its so beautiful looking at the reef that it's a surprise to look up and about at the beauty of the land, the lush vegetation and the volcanic formation of the island. The food is fresh, huge vegetable gardens and fresh coconut oil, which is pressed at Papageno, make this a health retreat without us realising, and lolling about in hammocks above the white sandy beach is the only way to watch the sunset. Love it at Papageno, we will be back. And the accommodation is quite luxurious, sigh.

Room Tip: Duluxe ocean bures and big and duluxe indeed.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank suzfraser

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 24 January 2012

My girlfriend and I had been in Fiji for a week (In the Yasawas, and then to Viti Levu) before we took the tiny airplane to Kadavu. We had resigned ourselves to eating anything good until we found Papageno.
When we arrived to the resort via the boat that picked us up and braved the stormy seas (that particular day), we were happily greeted by Lydia. She escorted us to our large, clean gorgeous bure which was steps from the beach. There were also two coconuts with sides of rum, placed on top of the flower donned table on the veranda for us to enjoy.
Lydia told us to take our time and get situated and that our lunch was waiting for us at the main bure when we were ready.
The food was INCREDIBLE! All of the meals we had were plentiful, fresh and grown on the island. The dishes were varied during our 5 night stay as well. From samosas, to goulash, to the best taro leaf coconut soup ever. The serve desserts and have a full bar available, which was awesome.
The resort is solar powered and has hot water, electricity and potable water, 24-7.
Our other host, Elisabeth was fantastic and booked all of our dives and other activities.
The diving was spectacular, especially on the Astrolabe reef. The life is abundant with multiple corals, fish, sharks, turtles and other creatures. We even made a stop along the way and snorkeled with a manta ray, a great highlight of the vacation.
When it came time to leave, we were sad to go, but the staff gave us flowers to wear around our necks and sang us a lovely farewell song.
I would recommend Papageno to anyone traveling to Fiji. I would go back in a heartbeat. I dream of it often, and I have only been home for a week and a half. It truly is paradise.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Suziecups
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 23 January 2012

Coconut trees, white sand, calm beach, hammocks and a fresh water stream down to the white sand beaches- all the boxes ticked for a tropical getaway...
The beautiful gardens contained tropical fruit trees, including the best bananas I've ever tasted....fresh mango juice at meal time from the huge trees.

The staff are great- very friendly, particularly loved Zahrya (sp?), the dive master, he was great with the kids. As were the lovely ladies who served the meals- my son has never been so spoilt ;)

As you can tell we loved our time at Papageno. The food was great- all very fresh (grown at Papageno), very tasty and adapted to the guest's tastes. And all beautifully presented. The fish curry was a highlight as was the fresh salad with lunch.
And I must mention the FANTASTIC birthday cake they cooked for my husband's birthday.

We stayed at the recently finished Kinder house, with two bedrooms/two bathrooms and more than enough space for our family of four. The daybed on the screen enclosed verandah was a favourite spot.

We did leave one day early- due to unseasonally heavy rain and storms. Elisabeth and Lydia were very gracious and helpful in rearranging our travel plans.

The snorkelling is good (about a 5 minute boat trip off the beach). Unfortunately the weather conspired against us for the manta ray trip and the waterfall trip but we enjoyed just playing on the beach, and Lydia's informative tour of the resort's eco facilities.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Sascha P
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 24 October 2011

We stayed at Papageno Resort for two weeks in October 2011 with our 2 children aged 8 and 5. All the positive reviews on this site are accurate. The guy who said there wasn't enough food must be joking.
On to the highlights:
1) The stand-in managers Don and Anne were superb and I couldn't think of two better people to run such a resort. They ran things perfectly, in a low key but organised way, and their mealtime conversation was scintillating. You will be lucky indeed to come to the resort while they are there over the next few months.
2) The staff are extremely friendly, with a great joie de vivre. They were especially great with the kids. Sakariah was an excellent dive instructor and fisherman for us beginners, and a competitive ping pong player. Sivo mixes a mean cocktail.
3) The food is 10/10. Great variety in the cooking, mostly in Fiji-style - unfussy but delicious. The cooks are highly skilled. We could not think of one average meal after two weeks. Most of the fruit and veggies are grown on site. The fish is freshly caught, eggs hatched daily, and we even had roast pork from an unfortunate piggy who learnt about Newton's laws the hard way via a falling coconut.
4) The activities are all described well by others. All exceeded or met our expectations, and we did most of the ones on offer. The day trip to see the manta rays followed by a picnic on a small deserted island was probably the highlight.

No negatives at all - make sure you bring repellent to keep the mozzies away. The Bures have flywire which is mostly effective (a few holes needed patching in ours).

3 tips if you come:
1) Bring pencils, stationery, clothes and books for the local kids, and books for the adult villagers - all appreciated.
2) Don't bring younger kids if they are hyperactive and demanding. Not the place for them. Take them to a big resort with a kids' club.
3) Tip the staff generously, they deserve it.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
8 Thank DanielL701
Reviewed 16 October 2011

The food is great, such a wonderful place to getaway and recharge. I attended a friend's wedding and stayed for 4 nights. I will definitely be returning one day for another respite :)

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank DrDevina
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 October 2011

Sun drenched beach. turquoise waters, swaying palms, absolutely beautiful setting!
We are avid travellers, and Papageno's was reccomended by friends, and.... wow!.. i don't think that words alone can describe such a stunning and friendly place. great food, a beautiful Bure,the staff unreservedly befriended us, making our trip so enjoyable, we are making plans to visit next year with friends.
It is fairly remote, which makes it even more attractive for those who have never experienced a totaly Eco friendly resort, far from the beaten track,... it does'nt get any better than this!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank william c
Annandale, Virginia
Reviewed 7 October 2011

After spending 2 weeks volunteering at the Dilkusha Children's Home in Nausori, Fiji through Projects Abroad, I was looking forward to four days of rest, relaxation and pampering before returning to my demanding job as a public high school counselor in Northern, Virginia, USA. I also wanted something that was all inclusive, peaceful and beautiful. Extensive internet research convinced me that Papageno fit the bill.

As a solo traveler, I found the staff and the locals to be friendly and attentive. I took advantage of opportunities to get a massage, to visit Daku village, Vunisei District school, the Viseisei school up the road from the airport, to tour the resort grounds, to take warm solar powered showers, and to hike up to the resort's small waterfall. I was not successful obtaining cell phone reception so I passed the time reading through the resort's magazines and books in its small library, standing midcalf in the water (it was too cold to my taste for swimming during their 'winter') while the curious fish circle and nibbled me, lying in a hammock guarded by my personal rescue dog Freddy, trying to catch a glimpse of the wild parrots and other wild life (boars, etc. , napping, or just enjoying their wholesome meals and snacks.

My favorite memories of my stay at Papageno was:
drinking kava with the village spokesperson and villagers at Daku,
learning about Kava production-chief export of Kadavu,
touring Daku village and just talking with the people-I was not interested in scuba diving to see the giant clams,
playing games with the children at the Vunisei district school (they have solar panels but no computers HINT, HINT),
drinking kava with the men and getting them to sing a song for me http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcoLidks5_0
reaching Papageno's waterfall after a challenging hike,
touring the grounds, gardens, and the impressive physical plant of the resort,
having a seaside garden bure all to myself,
having a waiter (Civo and Saloti) to cater to my dietary whims,
fresh, organic food

My only regret is that I was not able to experience the gospel singing at Sunday services, to take the weaving class or to see the manta rays. Maybe next time around. A family of four shared the island with me during my short stay, but except for meal times, I only saw them in passing. I would recommend that a solo traveler bring along a laptop, musical instruments, and some reading material (which can be donated to the resort's library afterwards), hire a staff member to accompany them on the demanding and long hike to the waterfall because the diving, kayaking, watersports, ping pong, etc. did not particularly appeal to me. I would also have liked to have brought along some toys and educational materials for the school and village. I wish they would also install a dock at the Kadavu airport and the resort so that you don't have to get your feet wet traveling to and from the various attractions. The staff gathered to wrap a flower necklace around my neck and to serenade me with their gloriously harmonious rendition of the farewell song Isa Isa.

Papageno, I bid you aloha and hope to see you again during YOUR summer months!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
Oneta Resort
Oneta Resort
#2 of 3 in Ono Island
Matana Beach Resort - Dive Kadavu

Been to Papageno Resort? Share your experiences!