"We booked for 7 nights and stayed for 17" !
My wife and I decided at short notice to go away for Xmas and the New Year.
Our parameters were :
1. To explore a new destination
2. Good weather
3. Beach resort
5. Activities to include golf and scuba diving .
Somehow we decided on Fiji although our travel agent and none of our friends knew anything about it ! That made it more intriguing ! After surfing the internet we came across Laucala Island. That is how our magical mystery tour started !
Coming from England we decided the best plan of travel was to fly to Los Angeles (11hrs) spend a pit stop of half a day there and fly overnight (another 11 hours) to Fiji . The journey was very easy. On arrival at Nandi airport we were met by a courteous member of the resort staff who escorted us to their own aircraft for the 50 minute ride to Laucala (pronounced Lauthala) island.
There are only 26 villas on the resort and nearly all are situated on their own private beach with swimming pool and both indoor and outdoor baths and showers. The rooms are decorated in a traditional Fijian style to a very high standard .
The island itself is pretty large and it is not difficult to seek privacy if desired. Going on a tour of the island was an education. They grow about 85% of the produce and flowers used on the resort including cattle. The standard of cleanliness is admirable .
There are no less than 5 restaurants and the quality of food and service is exemplary. Each villa comes equipped with a buggy to drive to the restaurants, sports centre and golf course which is spectacularly beautiful. Nothing is more than 5 minutes away .
The atmosphere is more of a private club than a holiday resort. Despite being there at the height of the season none of the restaurants were occupied by more than a dozen people yet always had friendly and efficient staff to attend to our requirements. Within a few days my wife and I knew the names of the key personnel and they all knew ours! They were all so obliging and nothing was too much trouble. Even my request to watch English Premier League games on TV was granted with the production of a personal Sling Box ! Although they don't grow grapefruits in Fiji the chef arranged for a case to be sent from Australia for my breakfast ! One day we were going to take ourselves off snorkelling when one of the sports team offered to take us in their speed boat out to one of the many reefs around the property for our enjoyment .
Laucala Island is unique . The owner clearly does not view the project as an everyday business venture, more of his own Robinson Crusoe retreat which outside guests can enjoy. He is continually improving and upgrading the facilities. As we were leaving the management were about to close down for 3 months to resurface the roads .
On past vacations my wife and I have visited some of the finest resorts in the Maldives, Mauritius, Seychelles and Malaysia but Laucala Island surpasses them all. It has everything ! In fact we booked for 7nights and stayed for 17 !
Guests do not have to sign a bill at mealtimes or for the extras as the price includes all meals, drinks, scuba diving, golf etc. It may not be cheap but in my experience the best never is !
I warmly recommend Laucala Island Resort to you but sh - don't tell too many people !
D.D. - LPH
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set upon 3,500 exclusive acres on its own island in the archipelago of Fiji,Laucala Island brings a new meaning to the term “all-inclusive resort.” Aprivate island resort, Laucala Island is set amidst coconut plantations,sandy beaches, turquoise lagoons, rich green mountains andbreathtaking natural beauty, often drawing comparisons as a veritableGarden of Eden. True luxury is appreciated in the privacy of the resort’s25 villas as well as the freedom to experience a variety of activities,ranging from golf to water sports to beachside horseback riding and more.The resort prides itself on an integral philosophy, incorporating elementsof the entire island into each guest’s experience, and offering productsand ingredients raised and grown on the island. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia and Ebookers so you can book your Laucala Island Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.