“Magnificent Island Resort Setting with Friendly Customer Service” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Malolo Island Resort

Malolo Island Resort
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Malolo Island
Brisbane
“Magnificent Island Resort Setting with Friendly Customer Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2007

From the moment we stepped off the boat to our departing day my partner and I felt like we were part of the Malolo Family. If you want a relaxed casual island stay close to mainland - without the tourist hoards chasing you down well then this might be your slice of paradise. Phones and internet access is up at the reception only (not in your room) so you are forced to wind down and to get back to a more befitting pace (cocktails and a good book at the ocean bar was a favourite afternoon activity for us). Should you want to up the pace a notch there is plenty of activities to keep you and your family busy (snorkelling, cruises, walks, kayaking etc). Our Deluxe Oceanview Bure was incredible…..well laid out with simple décor and plenty of room for us to throw our bits and pieces around.

Malolo Island Resort simply would not be the incredible laid back resort it is without the personable and relaxed atmosphere the staff has created. You don’t go too far without having a good chat and a laugh with one of the locals.

If quiet time is what you need order a bottle of wine at reception and slink back to your bure for some down time or wander down to the beach (3 ft from our bure) and watch the sun set.

Everyone is very respectful of each other and we never heard the kids except when we walked past the kids club. We don’t have children but noted how attentive and loving the Fijian women in the kids club are. The activities program for the kids was amazing too.

Oh and the food is faultless. We are going back!!

• Liked — clean and fresh rooms
  • Disliked — lighting
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
4 Thank DanesandSmash

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Adelaide
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2007

We stayed here in June 2007, and got married on the island, and I couldn't have asked for a better time! everyone who works there are simply wonderful, some of the kindest and warm hearted people I think I will ever meet. Everyone made us feel very much at home, and the wedding couldn't have gone smoother, it was easy, fun and relaxing! perfect really! Wonderful food, drink, accommodation and great beach, relaxing on the beach each morning was just lovely! We took over a group of people (17) and there was no problems in accommodating all of us all of the time! Fantastic! Brilliant diving, a few of us dive and we got out there most days, to 20 odd metre VIS and fish life a plenty! what more could u ask for??? We will be going back!

• Liked — Everyone has own space, great views of the beach!
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank grubbytraveller
Redding, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2007

We recently spent 6 nights at Malolo and enjoyed every minute of our vacation there (except for a few mosquitos - use the spray provided!). The snorkeling on the reef off the beach was very nice and the optional trips to other snorkeling sites (Castaway Wall, Mondriki Island, etc.) were all well worth the money.
Our deluxe Oceanview bure was well located a 45 second walk to the beach and it was well-appointed - comfortable bed, living room and a nice bathroom. It was very quiet and private at the resort even though there were children - toddlers to teenagers around. The Kid's Club seemed to keep them quite occupied and they were well-mannered when around the adults.
We opted for the food plan after the first day since it gave us more flexibility. All the staff were friendly and helpful. We would definitely stay here again.
We took the seaplane from Nadi airport - a 15 minute flight. It was an enjoyable experience. We followed our stay with a 6-night Blue Lagoon cruise and were taken by boat to meet the cruise ship. It was great fun.
Vinaka vakalevu to all the staff, especially Viren, at the Malolo Island Resort.

• Liked — Comfortable, air-conditioned bures.
  • Disliked — Lighting
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Adorevoyager
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2007

My Family and I have just returned from 2 weeks stay in Fiji. I have two girls aged 17 months and 4.5 years old. We spent the time at two island resorts the second being Malolo Island Resort.

First of all, I have got to say they the Fijian culture is awesome, relaxed and casual. "Fiji time" does really exist. The Fijian's love kids and are very good at looking after them. My wife and I are quite protective with them and after our initial hesitation of letting them go with a complete stranger, we were very comfortable with their care. The older one could go to Kids club for free but the younger one needed to have a babysitter (who we also let go to the kids club). Babysitting was only $4 fijian an hour and they were absolutely fabulous with the kids. Our 4 year old wanted to go to kids club all the time. She made some great friends. We did Kids club from 9am to 12pm and then again from 5.30 pm to 8pm. They fed them and looked after them for dinner which allowed my wife and I to eat in peace. We set the menu for the kids by 4pm each afternoon and this was what was dished out to them. the Fijians would do their best to feed them and the kids did not go hungry.

The resort was not very busy which in one way was good however as a result, the Kids club was not always full. They still looked after our kids well though and gave them plenty of activities to do such as Hermit crab collecting, Basket weaving, Crab races face painting etc.

We stayed at the the low numbered waterfront bure's on the eastern side. This was not the best spot as it was close to the Watersports hut, was a bit of a thoroughfare and didn't really have a good swimming beach. You needed to walk towards the western end to get a better spot on the beach and this was near Bures numbered 13-17 or so. These would be better than #1-8 bures.

The beach bure's were nice and cool with really high roofing. The bathrooms were nice and modern and it had a nice living area. They were cleaned every day though and were livable.

The resort was well laid out and you were pretty close to everything. They had two separate pools one for kids. This was OK as the Kids pool had a great shade cloth and was great to swim in all during the day.

There are 3 eating areas one upmarket, one main stream and the other was at the beach front (Good for cocktails and lunch). All the food was pricey which is what you would expect I guess for this class of resort. Unfirtunately it was pricey for the kids as well. Breakfasts for us continental were $20 fijian per adult, $10 for our 4 year old and $6 for the 17 month old. Our 4 year old only ate a slice of toast most times yet got charged the $10.

On the flip side, the Chef was a master and would make anything you wanted for your kids in any format you wanted. You could get stuff pureed, mashed, fried, whatever. Take advantage of this if you can... saves you having to worry about feeding your kid.

We did not take the meal plan and food was very expensive. We spent a lot more than the meal plan so I would recommend you take the meal plan if you want to stick to a budget.

There was only one convenience store on the resort and as you can imagine, these were quite expensive so bring a lot of the basics or else you will be charged a packet. Chocolate bars are $4.50 per bar?? One bonus was that they did provide complimentary Aeroguard in the rooms. You need it and will churn through at least one container per week or more.

They do spray for mossies every day but there were still plenty of mossies at dawn and dusk so you need to be sprayed up at these times.

The beaches at Malolo are nice but the sand is very coarse and the coral not far from the waters edge. You should consider reef walkers or be careful as the coral is sharp. The snorkelling however off the beach is sensational and you will see anenomies, rays, tons of fish and lots of interesting coral and coral formations. (Start your swim near the pole and work around towards the north and you will have a nice snorkel).

The boat trip snorkels are off the planet. SImply the best I have ever seen. There are coral reefs better then the great barrier reef in terms of life and sea animals. The best one we went to was the "castaway wall". This is an absolute must and you should check out the boat house schedule to make sure you do this either as a snorkel or dive. It has been etched into my memory forever.

The catamarans are great and free. You can only sail in high tide unless the staff know you can sail. Then they will let you sail when the tide is lower if you promise not to go over the shallow reefs.

I am a windsurfer and was very disappointed with the equipment which was in a state of disrepair. They were essentially useless and I complained bitterly to the hotel.

Overall, we had a great stay at this island. It was relatively expensive but worth it if you wanted to be pampered.

We made the mistake taking the ferry which meant we had to stay one night in Nandi. This was a waste of a day and a waste of time. Next time we will get the sea plane in and out to reduce transfer time and spend as much time at the resort as possible.

By the way, the islands get less rain than the mainland so the rain figures are grossly overstated. We were there in the wet season on the shoulder and out of the 14 days we were there, it only rained on two days and the other times it only rained at night. We were pleasantly surprised but I guess this was just a lucky thing for us. They said October had been quite dry and September unusually wet so I guess we were just lucky.

We will go back.

P.S. Bring in as much wine/alcohol as you can fit in your bags. You can bring in either 4.5 litres of Beer/Wine or 2.25 litres of sprits per adult. This will save you a packet. We bought in some Moet and Chandon Champagne that cost us $100 which at the resort was being charged $400 Fijian

• Liked — Clean tidy and functional.
  • Disliked — We did not get a good bure. Make sure you get one on the Northwest side
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled with family
19 Thank fishinwater
Ruakaka NZ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2007

Our First visit 14 months ago was overwhelming, the people are so friendly making you feel that they are welcoming you into their family. The whole experience was something my husband and I will never forget, so much so 12 months later (now) we had no hesitation to book the same island resort. Once again the total experience was fantastic.

Their hospitality through all departments from the selection of restaurants, bars and housekeeping to the whole range of activities offered has once again left my husband and I longing to spend another vacation at this very friendly magical paradise. From the moment we stepped on to the jetty we heard "welcome home" with the staff acknowledging our return visit, meaning that we werent simply just another number but a return guest whom they dearly welcomed back to their "home".

We would have no hesitation in recommending Malolo island resort to both friends and family, and hope one day to bring our grandchildren back to enjoy the experience with us.

We would like to send a special thank you to all the staff that made our stay so memorable AGAIN!! and also to Steve whom we truly admire for his fun loving enthusiasm and a job well done.

Vinaka Gail and Trevor

• Liked — Authentic Fijian accommodation and proximity to the beach.... its right on your doortsep
  • Disliked — In room lighting... no quality lighting for reading at night.... other than that perfect
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank gctc
England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2007

There is a fab kid's club at Malolo, our 10 yr old loved it. Tia's Tree House is well located, only yards from most points in the resort, which is small, quiet and intimate, so parents can feel very relaxed. One-on-one supervision is required for children under the age of 3 to go in there. Our 10 yr old made friends quickly and spent alot of her time up there. Our 3 yr old stayed with us but, nearing the end of the holiday, we were keen for some time alone, so we booked a babysitter to look after her, in the kid's club, from 3 - 8pm where she could play, and have tea, with the other children - her older sister included. The babysitter was booked without any problems and I took our 3yr old up to the kid's club as scheduled.

My husband and I stayed close by all afternoon, just incase there were any problems, not leaving the pool or beach bar area , both only a few yards away from the kid's club.

Our whole holiday was turned upside down when my husband went back to our bure, by chance, at 5.20pm to find our 3yr old in there on her own - no babysitter, no air-conditioning, door open and only about 20 steps from the ocean!

In short, the babysitter is a chef in the resort kitchen and had a shift starting at 5.30pm so, without telling a soul (I'm lost as to why), she took our 3yr old out of the kids club, back to the bure, left her there and went off to work - the most amazing stunt she pulled was managing to by-pass myself and my husband on the way! And that fact that she went to work in the kitchen and didn't even tell anyone what she had just done - it's unbelievable.

I won't go into the details of the fall out from this, needless to say we were shattered by it and even now I can't stop myself from imagining what could have happened. Our older daughter is racked with guilt for not realising that her sister had gone from the kids club - busy playing with the older kids and only half aware, she assumed the sitter had taken her sister for a walk or the like. We have made a formal complaint, because we are so very worried that an incident like this may happen again, with fatal consequences. As for us, what do we expect back? Nothing. There is absolutely nothing they could say and no amount of money in the world that could compenstate for taking a risk with the safety of children.

I am sure there are many people who have had positive experiences with babysitting at this resort so I am sorry to wave a red flag, but incidents like this really should be brought to parents' awareness, especially in light of the tragic abduction of Maddy McCann.

• Liked — the air-conditioning system and the over-head fans were a god-send.
  • Disliked — a little old and worn, certainly in need of a re-vamp
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with family
20 Thank ziggi
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2007

I am writing this review 3 years after travelling to Fiji but felt I had to share my opinion. My husband andI had a wonderful time at Malolo. The staff was great and we had so much fun going to Nadi by boat for a Rugby game with some of the staff! The scenery is beautiful, the water clear and snorkelling great. The sand is a beautiful pinkish color but the sand is coarse. Very nice but not super fine like in the Yasawas. I recommend Malolo, howeve, if you can only see one island chain- go to the Yasawas. Those islands are something out of a tropical dream!

• Stayed November 2004, travelled as a couple
Likuliku Lagoon Resort
#1 of 3 in Malolo Island
Castaway Island Fiji
Castaway Island Fiji
#1 of 1 in Castaway Island (Qalito)
Tokoriki Island Resort
Tokoriki Island Resort
#1 of 2 in Tokoriki Island
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,294 reviews
Musket Cove Island Resort
Musket Cove Island Resort
#2 of 3 in Malolo Lailai Island

Been to Malolo Island Resort? Share your experiences!