our little family of 4 (kids 8 months and 3 years) recently stayed for 12 days including the recent Cyclone.
this is our 3rd time in Fiji, and we have stayed at the Shang ri La Fijian, as well as 10 years ago at castaway, Hideaway and a number of others.
It is our second visit to Malolo and it is even better than when we where here last time, the food is simply awesome and I can't believe that they can do such a high standard considering how isolated they are, everything was perfect, clean and tasty even if expensive and they can even make pureed food of your request for the little ones.
The room was good, (not like international 4 star) but great for Fiji, the resort is old but well built and we spend the Cyclone in our rooms for 24 hours, being waited on with amazing food every few hours, including a full roast chicken dinner for tea. (bought to our room).
The chef even was able to make some tuna sashimi up for our 3 year old when it was not on the menu, we just had to wait for the day when the fresh tuna arrived.
the food is not cheap (20-26 FJD for lunches, and more for dinner) unless you are on a meal plan, and then you will find yourself overeating with desert even with lunch. I put the great food down to the head chef and his team of 25, check he is still there, as he has been for the last 3 years. without drinks I imagine you would spend 120-160 per day eating here, so be warned.
The room was clean and made up properly and the babysitting was great value, ($5 FIJI per hour, we had baby sitters every night for 2-3 hours to allow us a relaxed dinner). Grounds great, and enough hammocks for every-one.
Two pools, so the kids have a perfect one, and stay out of the adults one (with swim up bar).
Beach is not fine sand, but a mix of course sand and also some coral, and every morning they had raked it clean of any seaweed if it was washed up by 6am (my kids are early risers. Sunset over the beach with drink in hand is the stuff of postcards.
The only complaint I would have is the cocktails did not live up to the expectation that I had, and where on the pricy side, (FJ16). take your own DF vodka and enjoy their "soft drinks".
Sailing was great, and free, as was the kayaking, and snorkelling.
Seaplane transfers to and from make it quick and you don;t need to overnight on the main land. (though they can get stuck with the weather, they where not flying for about 4 days during the recent Cyclone. (pacific Island seaplanes). The helicopter seemed to be more weather resistant, however Malolo does not have a Helo pad, but Liku Liku does, (owned by the same company and a 1 min boat ride from Malolo.
I also had a behind the scenes tour of Liku Liku and I will not be paying the FJD$1600-2000 per night for the overwater bungalows. There was quite a few unhappy Americans there, (sorry to generalise) who would not have had the experience they had paid for due to the Cyclone, and where leaving early.
I most certainly will be going back to Malolo, and I also took a look (island Hopping) at Castaway, Amanucka, and Mana (what an absolute dive of a place, it was almost unbearable to be left there for 30 min).
Malolo is very intimate, and we mixed with many of the guests, who where a mix of couples and families, as well as one wedding while we where there.
It is perfect, and not as expensive as castaway, certainly worth considering.
Ian - Sydney
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Malolo is an intimate, rustic resort. It's about a bure near the beach, surrounded by the world's friendliest people with a living and authentic culture. You will be served by the descendants of villagers who have lived there for thousands of years, offering true Fijian hospitality. Perfect for families and couples alike, at Malolo, you can fill your day with a myriad of activities or simply unwind and do nothing at all. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Malolo Island Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Malolo Island Hotel Malolo Island
- Fiji Malolo Island Resort