“A perfect holiday destination”

Malolo Island Resort
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Malolo Island
New Zealand
“A perfect holiday destination”
Reviewed 17 April 2008

We stayed at Malolo island resort with our one year old child and a friend and absolutely adored it. The staff are really friendly and genuine, they love kids and our daughter lavished the attention. The food is amazing which was totally un-expected including the kids menu.
The Bures are very clean and tidy, little extras like plunger coffee and insect repellent are a nice touch.

Snorkeling was amazing, so many fish and coral so close to the beach. We also enjoyed kayaking and fishing.

I cannot recommend Malolo island resort enough and hope to travel back there very soon!

• Liked — The balance of a authentic island and modern facilties
  • Disliked — going home
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank chimpswife

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Auckland
Reviewed 15 April 2008

We stayed at Malolo at the end of March to early April for 6 nights. Originally we had planned to go to Treasure Island but the special deal for Malolo included all meals. Before seeing the advertisement in our local newspaper I had never heard of Malolo Island. After some quick internet research and comments found on Trip Advisor we decided on Malolo. Well actually I decided, my husband had no idea where we were going as he had never experienced Fiji before.

It turned out to be a great decision. As you have already seen in past comments, the staff on Malolo are fantastic. They make you feel so welcomed, they are genuinely interested and it is not some underhand way of trying to get a tip. The bures were fine and very clean. There is no TV or radio in the bure but we took our iPod and cradle so we had music. Surprisingly my mobile worked (Vodafone) on the island.

There are not many places in the world where you walk out of your bure onto the beach, snorkel and see so many beautiful fish. Even though there were two pools (one for adults only and one for children), everyone swam at the beach. The meals were great and plentiful. After two days I couldn't eat breakfast, lunch and dinner, so I started to miss breakfast and have lunch and dinner only. The pasta night and the BBQ night were my favourites. Import beers were pretty expensive, but when in Rome drink the local beer (Fiji bitter is fine when cold). There were a few children on the island when we were there, but you did not see them. Most spent all day at the Kids Club and the comments from the parents were really positive, their children didn't want to leave the Kids Club. Malolo is great for couples and families.

We have holidayed in Mexico, Thailand, Bali and other places but this was one of the best. Very sad to leave but we look forward to returning to Malolo one day in the future. Vinaka vaku levu.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank KDB11
Melbourne
Reviewed 8 April 2008

We stumbled across Malolo Island whilst staying at the Sofitel Denerau Island, we were meant to stay at the Sofitel for 9 nights but cut it short as there is no usable beach for snorkelling. Malolo is very special in many ways, the outlook from the beach is worthy of a Fiji postcard, the snorkelling straight off the beach is great(we went morning and afternoon each day), the food was pretty good(apparently they were in the transition phase between chefs) but the variety was excellent, rooms were excellent and spacious(no tv or radio is something that you will learn to appreciate as it aids your relaxation), the staff were first class, very friendly, by the end of your trip you will know most of them by first name, the day trips are not too expensive and offer some of the worlds best diving and snorkelling. Overall Malolo is what I imagined Paradise would be and luckily I found it. I already planning our next trip in October as we only had three nights and that just wasn't enough.

• Liked — Spacious, clean and modern
  • Disliked — No bottle opener
3 Thank Holidayholica
Auckland
Reviewed 4 April 2008

This trip was my 3rd time to Fiji.
I was taking my Partner Hayden for the First time and wanted him to experience somewhere a little special. I spent hour’s online checking resorts and pricing. Malolo was Amazing! We had a bure right on the beach. There were 3 Places to eat at the resort so there was plenty of Choice. Me and my Partner spent most of the Time at the beach Bar- Cheaper Food, more laid Back and right on the Beach. As for the other two restaurants the terrace was the most popular. Breakfast and Buffet lunch was served here. I tossed up whether to purchase the Food Package. It was quite expensive and I knew after eating a large breakfast I would skip lunch and not taking this option also gave us more variety and options. At the end of the stay we actually saved $300 from not purchasing the food package. The Treetops is quite spectacular. The food was amazing- Very expensive! But I would def recommend eating there at least once. There is also an adult’s only bar upstairs, Hayden and I would pop up there after our meals for a drink or in between meals as there was a designated area for smokers.

I would recommend stopping off the supermarket on the way to the ferry. We stocked up on nibbles. Chip and Crackers etc... We also purchased a few bottles of Coke for our Duty Free which we brought to the Island. I brought 5 Bottles of Wine to the island. Corkage at the restaurant was FJD16 But the cheapest bottle of Sav was FJD62 the wine list wasn't very impressive for the price we were to pay if purchased. Bringing out own Wine was a Good Choice. A bottle of Corona was FJD14 over all I found the alcohol very overpriced. Hayden and I went out on a pub Crawl and jumped around the other surrounding islands having a drink at everyone. When we seen the price of their alcohol compared to ours we were a bit shocked.

Our Day excursions tended to be a lot more expensive than the other islands also, in saying that though Malolo Island Resort Is a top Resort! And was well worth paying extra for. I would strongly recommend to all couples. Not a resort I would take younger kids due to the price. I found Plantation is far better suited, and has better facilities for the Kids.
Everyone On the Island was so friendly; we really did have a magical Time. I would definitely stay Again!

• Disliked — The Resort Let a Cruise Ship of 400guest to our Island for the Day. The used all our beach Chairs, put there clothes on the chairs and Hammocks all day so we couldn't use them. We werent impressed!
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank NZJAFFA
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 1 April 2008

Mana Island Resort, Castaway Island Resort, Treasure Island Resort, Plantation Island Resort, Amunuca Island Resort, Musket Cove Island Resort, and Malolo Island Resort, all are given the same star ratings, but Malolo is the best by far. We have been visiting Fiji for over 18 years and have stayed at most of the island resorts in the Mamanuca group of islands but. Malolo has something special. First of all, we can"t speak more highly about the staff, absolutely fabulous people. The food was as good as you get in any 5 star resort in Fiji, especially the Wednesday night seafood BBQ night. It included NZ mussels, scallops, prawns, salmon, eye fillet steak, chicken, every salad possible and the desserts and cheese selection was just awesome. The bures although close together were never a problem, they were kept so clean your could almost eat your meals off the floor. A kayak out to the small island out the front of the resort is a must. The bird life and fish surrounding the island is worth taking your snorkeling gear. We highly recommend this resort for couples ( old & young ) and families with children. It is a smaller resort, but more friendly with great service. It also has a choice of 3 restaurants, which is a plus. Any queries that you might have about Malolo, just email them and they respond straight away, which we found excellent. Infact it was one of the main reasons we decided to visit Malolo because we found them so reliable and we later found out, how well the resort was run. I am sure that if you decide to holiday at Malolo, you wont be disappointed.
Vina Du Riki Malolo

• Liked — It was so clean & comfortable
  • Disliked — Nothing
6 Thank Kayno
Brisbane
Reviewed 12 March 2008

I have been to Fiji 4 times and stayed at different resorts each time and Malolo wins hands down.
I was a little hesitant about the food when booking as it is a smaller resort and I expected less variety but this was not so. All meals were fantastic with a good variety at each sitting. Nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff and they all loved kids even though i wasn't travelling with children it was one of the first thing i noticed. The outlook of the resort is beautiful and it is central to all the other resort islands if you wanted to do day tripping.The accomodation was also excelent and the beds were comfortable,overall I would recommend this resort to anybody and I will definately return to Malolo for another holiday. The only disadvantage I could see was the lack of easy walking areas, but hey you can always canoe for exercise.

7 Thank cle000
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 10 March 2008

We left the kids at home and stayed at Malolo for 4 days while guests at a wedding at neighbouring Liku Liku.

To be straight, Malolo isn't flash: cheap and cheerful accomodation, very average cocktails, slightly pricey on the food and beverage front, but at well under half the price of Liku Liku it's great value for money comparatively as it is very well executed.

The staff were always cheerful, helpful and knowledgable, the room was simple but well maintained and cleaned, the watersports were very well done (but caution, sailing only available when the tide is high) and the snorkeling on the reef a couple of hundred metres out the front of the resort was great. The food was pretty good, a few misses (don't go near the muffins at breakfast) but on average quite pleasant. We had a couples massage which was very well done.

Big downer there's no mobile phone reception, there is at Liku Liku which picks up the Mana tower, but to be fair you can live without it! We didn'ttry this, but there's probably reception standing on the rocks on the point at the western end of the resort if you're desparate.

The resort is small, and there's not an enormous amount to do aside from diving, snorkeling, kayaks, sailing and massages, however and it's hard to get away to other interests, so unless you're planning a laid back read-a-book on the beach holiday it would get boring after a few days.

Can't speak to the kids club, looked OK from the outside, but small. Probably only a couple of days before they get bored.

We needed a late checkout (2pm instead of 10:30 am) and they slugged us $60 for the privelege, that's out of order IMHO.

For a transfer in we took a water taxi from Denerau, took taxis from Nadi airport to the port. Split between 5 people it was as cheap as the shuttle ferry and we didn't have to overnight on the mainland as it's only a 45 minute trip. Worth doing. Transfer out was on the fast ferry which was perfect too.

• Liked — Execution, well done, good staff, everything worked
  • Disliked — Lack of space, variety of things to do
Also consider these accommodations in or near Malolo Island
Lomani Island Resort
#1 of 3 in Malolo Lailai Island
Castaway Island Fiji
Castaway Island Fiji
#1 of 1 in Castaway Island (Qalito)
Likuliku Lagoon Resort
#1 of 2 in Tokoriki Island
Musket Cove Island Resort
Musket Cove Island Resort
#2 of 3 in Malolo Lailai Island

Been to Malolo Island Resort? Share your experiences!