“Paradise!”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Malolo Island
Wellington, New Zealand
“Paradise!”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We loved Tropic Island Resort. I would absolutely recommend it for a couples get-away. Our bure was lovely and beautifully cleaned every day. The staff were extremely friendly. The pool was lovely and we had great weather for seven days in July. The food in the restaurant was delicious. The service was a little hit and miss with mains arriving before wine but we were not disappointed with the quality of the food. I'm keen to go back!

Room Tip: Beach front bure highly recommended.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 250Vanessa
TropicaIslandOwner, Manager at Tropica Island Resort, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Bula 250Vanessa,

Thank you so much for your review. We are very lucky to have an excellent team in the kitchen. They will be ecstatic at your comments.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Scott

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

This was my second visit to this beautiful resort. I was here last year just after they had opened with my daughter and another couple. I returned this year with my other daughter and son in law and the same two friends. We had just spent three wonderful nights on the same island at Malolo Island Resort. Tropica sent their boat over to collect us after lunch. We experienced a welcome we will never forget. Almost all of the staff were there to welcome us "back home". We were then shown to our Bures. My friends and I had Bures #4 & 5 which were still being completed at this time last year. They are at the far end of the resort with a large expanse of grass and sand out front. Very tranquil.just love the outdoor shower. My daughter and son in law were in #10 which is closer to the pool, bar and dining and reception areas. Upon entering our bure there was a bottle of sparkling wine waiting for us and a beautiful welcome message spelt out in tropical flowers on our beds. Since our last visit there have been quite a number of changes especially amongst the F&B & activities staff but the service and warmth and friendliness is still the same. A special thank you to Va,Isi, Misi, Tommy, Missy,Roma, Larry, Nancy, Louisa, Livi and Kara. You leave feeling like family. They now have a boutique selling clothes, jewellery and souvenirs. It's also great to see hammocks and loungers in front of the Bures The resort also has two new boats for guest transfers and excursions. Much easier for boarding and disembarking. The food has improved a great deal since last year. My only gripe would be the salad they serve with the main meals and that it contains citrus rind every single time. Citrus seems to make an appearance every time as a garnish as well. The drink prices have increased dramatically since last year. A lot more expensive than neighbouring resorts and even 5 star hotels in Denarau. As you are a captive audience you really don't have a choice. That said the cocktails on most part were delicious and the wine and spirit choice quite comprehensive. The Serenaders the two Joes,two Davids and Ice are amazing musicians. You can do as much or as little as you like here. They have day and evening activities. Ice and his crew are great. We struck record low temperatures for most of our stay so the beautiful infinity pool was a bit chilly. The strong trade winds also played havoc with our two snorkelling trips. However, this was very unusual for this time of year. I would like to thank retiring GM Leba Pareti and Head Chef Kevin for fulfilling our wish for a Lovo (Fijian Feast) on our last night. This is only the second time they have had a Lovo at Tropica the first being on our last visit. They are now looking at making this a regular occurrence as it was such a hit with all of the guests. Upon returning to our Bures on our last night there was a lovely gift of Pure Fiji products and a card on our bed from owners Sue and Rob Ciccone. You won't regret staying here that's for certain.The staff will make sure of that. Vinaka vaka levu Tropica. Lolomas.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Libster1953
TropicaIslandOwner, Owner at Tropica Island Resort, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Bula vinaka Libster1953,

Thank you so much for your fabulous review of Tropica. The staff were truly so excited at your return and could not wait to greet you at the jetty and perform your now famous - Taki Taki dance!! Welcoming guests back to Tropica is such a highlight for our staff, and I believe 2 of our past staff members even made their way to the Port to see you before heading to the airport! Such is the genuine nature of the Fijian people.

Thank you for your positive comments surrounding the staff, musicians, resort improvements and the food (and yes, we now put on a lovo each week). Appreciate your feedback regarding the salads and have already addressed this with the kitchen. We are introducing a new wine list and cocktail menu in coming days and in line with that, have conducted a full audit on alcohol pricing to ensure we remain competitive with nearby resorts and mainland properties.

We look forward to welcoming you back as part of the Tropica family and as per your FB post....we will be relying on you to keep the Taki Taki tradition going!!!

Vinaka vaka levu,

Sue
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We have just arrived back after a second trip to Tropica resort.
Once again after a special arrival, we had a wonderful time. The staff made us feel very welcome.
Tropica put on a Lovo ( specially cooked meal in the ground ) the last night we were there, which was delicious. We also enjoyed all the other meals we had.
The Serenadors did a wonderful job during each dinner, singing lovely Fijian songs.
The only thing we could fault was the price of the alcoholic drinks, compared to neighbouring resorts we visited, we found Tropica's to be quite a bit more expensive.
Putting the drink pricing aside, we had another fun time, along with another special farewell.
As other reviewers say, you can do as much or as little as you want, and enjoy a relaxing time.

Room Tip: All though the Bures are Great, for the time you spend around them, a resort room may be a cheaper o...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Sutre69
TropicaIslandOwner, Manager at Tropica Island Resort, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Bula Sutre69,

Thank you so much for your review! It is fantastic to get feedback from our return guests.

I'm very happy to heed your advice and we will be off to conduct some market research on alcohol pricing to ensure that we remain competitive. Our last update on pricing was comparing with mainland hotels of similar standard and we were definitely in the ball park or under.

We look forward to seeing you next year for another return visit. Feel free to drop me a personal note through our enquiry page if you have anything else you'd like to give us as feedback on!

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 28 July 2014

This was my experience:

No management to be seen and attention to detail, quality, service absent.

Good menu choices - however food plated up not always very good. Limited fresh fish. What was served and called snapper was dry and chewy. A request for a special curry meal did not materialise. When it did it was excellent (one day later) Steaks over cooked not to order and salad choices very repetitive.
Tips: change dressing, add nuts, not pineapple in every salad. (I loved the pineapple) others did not! Chicken and lobster dish had no lobster.

Breakfast - good choices on menu but very processed hash browns and terrible sausages served. Eggs often had uncooked see through film on top. Breakfast croissants and other pastry seemed bulk frozen. Two out of three pancake orders came out burnt.

One had to ask staff multiple times for tea, soda's or any side dish. Staff look busy, avoid eye contact with guests. Not much service been given.

At the sunset bar a cocktail costs $15 - however a Mojito did not quite taste like it should. Very hit and miss again. Training needed.

The 2 spa treatment rooms were good however not comparable to Asian standards but a lovely massage received.

The resort pool is in a great setting, modern near beach. Lovely pool lounges. The pool was not heated. If you stay there and have 3 out of 6 days where it is windy and overcast the pool is wasted. As frequent travellers today's standards are expected to make guests comfortable. A slightly heated pool would add great value to Tropica Resort.

The staff at Tropica are all wonderful.
I state this again the staff are the most friendly you will encounter.
They are friendly, caring, on mass.

So, I'm guessing that the management is in trouble. On our last night we did see someone who was identified a the manager. However he was very busy eating dinner with two companions who appeared to be staying over at the resort that night. He did not make any contact with guests at dinner after enjoying drinks at the bar. He fails to notice that after 5 days at a small resort all the guests have worked out who's who and what is happening - especially when there is a terrible lack of service and good quality food and beverage service. Clearly the kitchen staff
fall short of competence and lack of management.

At $500+ Australian per night EXCLUDING meals - we were disappointed.

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank mrscapetown
TropicaIslandOwner, Manager at Tropica Island Resort, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Bula mrscapetown,

Thank you so much for your feedback. Quality of produce, presentation and consistency is something that we usually excel at, I am extremely sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectation during your stay. Our chef and I have dissected your experience to ensure that we stay on the very cutting edge of our guests expectations. Some of your comments we will be able to address easily. Others may require more attention given the proximity the island has to our mainland suppliers.

Your quandary about having the pool temperature regulated is an age old quandary in Fiji, in winter the temperature is usually very pleasant, a couple of days of bad weather during a nearly perfect May June and July and the pool and ambient temperature no longer harmonise.

I am extremely sorry that we did not get a chance to meet on the Friday evening, being new to the Tropica team and not due to commence full time on the island for a few weeks. I am only in and out once or twice a week and try and meet as many of our guests as I can during my short visits. I ducked out of dinner that evening to catch up with the team in the Staff Quarters before returning to my dinner companions and meeting with Hamish, Jillian, Robyn and Wendy.

I totally agree with you, our staff are amongst the best in Fiji, we are very lucky in this manner. We are very appreciative of your kind comments.

I am confident that on your next visit this little transitional speed hump is a hiccup of the past.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

After spending a week on the Coral Coast (Intercontinental Resort) my wife and I looked forward to a week without children (and hopefully without yahoos!) celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary on an island. Tropica did not disappoint.

Transferring from the ferry by one of Tropica's two launches we were welcomed by the smiling, singing staff, who we were to come to know and appreciate during our stay. Our luggage was taken by porters to our beachfront bure and we sipped a fruit cocktail whilst booking in.

Accommodation: We stayed in Bure 12 decorated in Fijian style. Comfortable king size bed, large wardrobe, tea making facilities, interior shower, basin etc, and outside shower. Swinging chair on the porch - very relaxing. Enclosed garden area between porch and walkway adjacent to beach. There are only 14 bures (as I recall) plus a few motel type rooms at the back of the resort - the staff almost outnumber the guests.

Location: Our bure was maybe 15 metres from the beach. Sitting on the porch we could see the private (and very expensive) Wadigi Island in front of us, and Castaway Island to the right. In the evening the sun set (and what sunsets!) directly behind some small rocks to the right of Wadigi. At night we could see the lights from these resorts, and from Mololo Resort as well, We heard no noise from these other resorts, nor from the new resort being constructed on the old Funky Fish site which is on the other side of the hill behind Tropica.

Activities: Our number one activity was relaxing: drinks by the pool, swinging on the porch, dozing to the sound of wavelets on the beach.
One can also use the non-motorised water toys - canoes, paddle boards, Hobbycats etc. Snorkling gear is provided too.
On certain days the staff held basket weaving classes and demonstrated how to climb a coconut tree, cut off coconuts and gave each couple their own coconut to try. Each morning a power walk is available.
Whilst we were there trips were available (numbers permitting) to Honeymoon Island (snorkelling), Cloud Nine - a pontoon on a reef where there is a bar and snorkelling, and Monriki Island where the film "Castaway" was filmed - walk around and snorkel!.
Then there is the pool (fantastic), the bar (ask for the cocktail of the day) and walking to the old bar on the headland - it is being transformed into a wedding venue.

Staff: The best. All so friendly and helpful. All willing to cater to all your needs. All greeting you with a friendly "Bula!" All seeming able to sing like winners of The Voice! And Tropica has Tommy - the loveliest man in Fiji!

Meals: I am fussy. I loved every meal. When I asked for no sauce my meal arrived with no sauce; when I asked for bacon and eggs on toast, even though it was not on the menu, that is what I got. Some expensive Sydney restaurants need to train their staff at Tropica! Each night the fabulous 4 sang wqhilst we ate - Fijian songs as well as more familiar tunes.
As it was our wedding anniversary we ordered a special dinner at the end of the pier. Worth every penny - escorted there by singing staff, bottle of champagne, serenaded by Joe whilst we ate - a special menu - delicious!

And then there is the worst part of the week - leaving. Both the wife and I had a tear in our eye as the staff sang their farewell songs.

We will be back!

Room Tip: Choose a bure. They are all adjacent to the beach.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Frank B
Sydney
Reviewed 27 July 2014

In April we visited the Tropica Island resort and we had a great holiday. The staff is excellent and willing to run the extra marathon for you. If you go there, definitely book one of the ocean front bures (the ones close to the reception desk have still wifi reception). Rooms are ok, but for Fiji standards good. Food was good and the menu was changed every day. Sometimes you had to wait a while, but that's bula! Highlights were the kayaking to the coral reef, the open air shower, just chilling in your hammock, the food, an evening dinner for two on the jetty and of course the friendly staff.

Room Tip: Go for the beachfront bure. Perfect view. The hotel rooms have a view on the backside of the kitchen
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Robertvang
Greenville, North Carolina
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Tropica Island Resort in Fiji was wonderful. We enjoyed the staff, the accommodations, the food, the pool. The beachfront burre is worth the extra money if you can afford it. The menu changes at lunch and dinner every day and the food is excellent… a delightful surprise since you are captive. For most people the food plan probably makes sense. We did ala carte and spent close to what we would have on the meal plan and we didn’t have starters or dessert. The snorkeling in front of the resort is ok. The diving was excellent for animals, fish and corals but only ok for visibility. We are told that serious snorkelers and divers need to go north for their adventure.

Snorkeling in front of resorts is ok. We took a boat trip to Honeymoon Beach and snorkeled the circumference of the island (1 ¼ hours). It was good but not great.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Tokoriki Island Resort
#1 of 2 in Tokoriki Island
Castaway Island Fiji
Castaway Island Fiji
#1 of 1 in Castaway Island (Qalito)
Musket Cove Island Resort
Musket Cove Island Resort
#1 of 3 in Malolo Lailai Island
Malolo Island Resort
Malolo Island Resort
#2 of 3 in Malolo Island

Been to Tropica Island Resort? Share your experiences!