“Love at First Sight”

Likuliku Lagoon Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Malolo Island
Reviewed 16 July 2008

This place is a Honeymooners Haven, I can honestly say that we debated on going here for quite a while but decided to give it a try, and we were so glad we did. We would recommend though if you have a long flight to spend a night on Nadi (the main island ) to give you time to rest up.

The Helicopter ride over to likuliku was so stunning I would recommend it to everyone as the way to get exicted for arrival. The second my husband and I seen the Island we couldn't wait to land, when we did we were greeted with a necklace lei, cool towels and the best tea that I have ever tasted.

We had to wait a couple of hours to get into our room but it was well worth the wait, we stayed in an Overwater Bure and though it was quite a walk from the main area I would of walked it a million times over to stay there again (though we didn't have to because we had a golf cart escort.) The room was way beyond our expectations the view was amazing, and the room had more than enough space. Being able to snorkel right off of the balcony was the greatest part and even in low tide (which was the most part of the day) it never kept us from being able to snorkel, though we were Bure # 2 which in our opinion was the best. I can say though after seeing the beach at low tide that I would have been very disappointed if we would have stayed in a becah front bure because your view is nothing but mud.

The food could have been better in our opinion but we are not the biggest sea food fans. We would highly recommend bring snacks even though a lot of people enjoyed in food it is nice in between meals to have a snack and your choices on the island on limited. Even though everyday we did get fresh delicious cookies delivered to our room and a small snack.

The spa in my opinion was wonderful we got a one-hour couples massage and it was very relaxing .

We would recommend the Village Tour that they offer, it was a wonderful was to better understand the culture, and an even better way to get your shopping done since the gift shop is very expensive and you can not get all of the traditional fijian gifts that you can in the Villages. Though I warn you to prepare yourself for the Kava Ceremony it has a very different taste and it will make you mouth go numb, but we were thrilled that we got to be part of such a strong Tradition.

We were so sad when we had to leave the island we really did feel like family in just the few short amount of days that we had on the island. In review I can say Likuliku is the best place to stay in Fiji the people are amazing and the service is wonderful. Even though the prices are a little high, and it is a 14 Hour flight fr us we would be thrilled to go back for our 5 yr anniversary.

2  Thank Honeymooners61408

Reviewed 8 July 2008

I am a bit late in writing this review and im sure i cant say anything new that the others havent said.

We wanted an isolated, relaxing and romantic trip - and that was exactly what we got. Yes, it was very expensive and my partner thinks a bit too pricey at the end of the day, especially since we only stayed 5 nights and sometimes you need longer than that to truly unwind.

The food was amazing, the service was fantastic and the room (ocean front bure with plunge pool) was wonderful. In fact, so spoilt were we by the Likuliku experience, when we had to spend a night on the mainland before flying back home, we felt annoyed and repulsed by the room, other guests, food and service in what was essentially a good 5-star hotel!!!

The only downside to Likuliku was at the time of year we went, the plunge pool was a bit cold to really enjoy, and if it rains too much it can get boring. But when it did rain, the staff went out of their way to arrange activities or get togethers to make the most of the time in-doors.

For a couple who only want to focus on themselves, read, sit in the sun, swim and just not be bothered this is the place to go.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
6  Thank The_Logocracy
Reviewed 6 July 2008

My partner and I have just returned from a 5 night stay at Likuliku (first week of July 2008). We purchased the Keys of the Ocean package which included helicopter transfers - a method of arriving that we would definitely recommend! Flying over the beautiful waters of Fiji is a wonderful introduction to the resort. We had a very relaxing week and found Likuliku to be everything that had been represented on Tripadvisor by other guests (and this is definitely not the marketing manager for the resort writing!) We had reviewed all the Tripadvisor reviews for several months before deciding on Likuliku and felt that the reviews were very accurate.
Accommodation
We chose a beachfront deluxe bungalow with plunge pool for our stay and ended up staying in both Bure 43 and 41. Both are at the western end of the lagoon, closer to the helipad not the overwater bungalows. We were very happy with this location - we found the outlook more interesting than if we had been down the other end of the beach where we would have been looking out at the overwater bungalows. Bure 43 was set forward near a large old Dilo tree, with other trees shading the deck, which was both an advantage - shadier in the afternoon sun when it got pretty hot - and a disadvantage - the plunge pool was pretty cold as it never really got a chance to heat up. We requested a move for two reasons - the plunge pool was losing water and so ended up being very noisy at night once the pump started sucking in air, and also a fuse kept blowing out turning off the fans and the main lights. Other than these two problems, we would have been very happy to stay in 43. We notified the front desk of the problems which weren't fixed immediately, so after another night of these issues, we requested a move which was arranged without fuss. Of the two, Bure 41 was probably our preference - also forward on the beach and two closer to the main pool, it was much sunnier as there were no large trees. The pool was a lovely temperature and while the deck got a lot of sun, the day bed had shades that could be drawn down. The shrubbery around the deck was more plentiful so it hid the neighbouring bures more successfully than in Bure 43. The rooms were otherwise identical and we were very happy with them from a comfort and space perspective. We were also happy not to have taken an overwater bure. They are much further away from the main complex, do not have as big a deck, and obviously don't have the garden around them which is a pleasant aspect. Also as I was 6.5 months pregnant, the idea of climbing up and down stairs to go snorkeling was not appealing!
The servicing of the rooms was efficient and extremely discreet.
Meals were fantastic! We chose from both the standard menu and the vegetarian menu and were very impressed by the quality and variety throughout the five days. The service in the restaurant was friendly and reasonably efficient (although we noticed on the day of shift change that the attention to detail had slipped a bit).
Activities/Spa
We snorkeled and kayaked while there, plus had some spa treatments. The snorkelling is great at the end of the main jetty - a great way to spend some time. The spa treatments (massages) were good - but coming from Sydney which has some great spas, we did not think the treatments were overly outstanding. A particular difficulty for me was the lack of pregnancy bolsters or adjustable tables - which was a shame given that they advertise a pregnancy masssage but ask you to lie on your stomach (not the most comfortable or reassuring!)
With over 120 staff for 46 bures (or about 90 guests), service is definitely friendly and fast. The only thing we would recommend is to book through the hotel's reservation service - we overheard the front desk telling other guests to 'call your travel agent' when there were problems/.changes required...which would have been a bit frustrating! We had to change our departure plans due to the weather conditions - instead of the helicopter departure we had to take a boat and taxi to the airport - which the staff booked and arranged for us immediately on request (at extra cost but we understand that we will receive a refund for the heli transfer), whereas another couple in a similar situation who had booked through a travel agent were left to their own devices to organise alternatives.
Overall, we would definitely recommend Likuliku for a relaxing holiday and would like to think we will be back one day....

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sydneysider08
Reviewed 4 July 2008

Well, what can I say apart from the title of my review. LikuLiku Lagoon Resort was just superb. We arrived by helicopter which is something everyone should treat themselves too. It made the arrival so special, coming around the headland and seeing the resort for the first time will always be etched in our memory. We arrived to smiling faces and a welcoming song from such wonderful warm and friendly staff. This was our Honeymoon and we stayed in an Over Water Bure which was so private and the views of the sunset were just spectacular. We live in tropical North Queensland in Australia and have a similar climate and lifestyle, but LikuLiku gave us something we will cherish always and that is how special we felt staying somewhere so beautiful.
The meals were so enjoyable as was the atmosphere and the views from the restaurant day and night were just great.

We met so many interesting people from so many interesting places and the greatest thing was that everyone was there for the same reason...to enjoy the private times as a couple and to enjoy mixing with others if you wished too.

We will be returning to LikuLiku Lagoon Resort to see the friendly staff who I hugged many times and to enjoy the wonderful food and to just take in the pure relaxation of paradise.

Thank you to all at LikuLiku for giving us a Honeymoon we will always remember.

2  Thank Ellie777
Reviewed 3 July 2008

We decided we wanted to return to Liku Liku the day we arrived. After a stunning arrival by sea plane we were greeted by the friendly travelling band that also serenade you at each meal.

We began our stay in Overwater Buree 1 which is the furtherest out.This Buree was absolutely stunning and provided amazing uninterrupted views. The burees are modern, contemporary, spacious and very comfortable. The afternoon canapes delivered to the Overwater Burees were amazing. On our visit day we were delivered a whole freshly caught and grilled lobster.What a surprise.

This set the scene for all the great food we were to enjoy over our 5 night stay.The restaurant is excellent and the food rivals any of Melbourne's top restaurants which was great. My partner is vegetarian and was well catered for.Be sure to let them know in advance.

Unfortunately due to a busy period we could only stay in the over water burees for 2 nights and then had to transfer to the Beachfront Burees. This was I must say an adjustment as we missed the privacy and unique experience of being over water. In future we would only stay in the Over Water Burees.

Having said that the Beachfront Burees are still a great design and lay out and offer an experience that surpasses most luxury resorts. We chose Buree 48 which was right on the end.It was very private yet adjoined the service road for the resort which got noisy at times with staff arriving and going and deliveries. We spoke to the management about this and there were plans in progress to create more privacy in this area.

If you are a scuba diver I can highly recommend the scuba diving from Liku Liku.They contract to Subsurface Fiji who pick you up from Liku's own jetty and take you on a selection of amazing dive sites. We ended up diving 3 out of our 5 days and loved every dive.You can also do courses through these guys if you want to learn. They are PADI accredited.

The staff at Liku Liku really make your holiday and amazing experience. They are so friendly and really make you feel like family. It was hard to leave some of our new special friends.We also took part in a couple of kava ceremonies. The Fijian tea that is an acquired taste but offers a unique island experience.

If you're unsure of where to stay in Fiji.Try Liku Liku, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jake15362
Reviewed 30 June 2008

I stayed at Likuliku for 5 nights of a 10-night trip to Fiji (5/26/08-6/5/08). After staying at the Westin Denarau, I was a bit disappointed with Fiji until we arrived at Likuliku.

Transportation: We arrived by seaplane, which picked us up directly in front of the Westin. It was a totally hassle-free way to get from one hotel to another. We lounged on the beach until our plane arrived and then hopped on and 10 minutes later we were at Malolo island. Definitely spring for this mode of transport if you can.

We took a speed boat to our next resort (Vomo), which took an hour. It was just my boyfriend and I, but it was raining and I had to pee. Plus the boat stalled and I freaked out for a minute because I thought I might have to jump in the water to relieve my bladder. I highly suggest a bathroom stop before choosing this mode of transport ;) Otherwise, it was fine. Not much cheaper than the plane or heli, though.

Arrival: We were picked up by boat from the seaplane and enjoyed the welcoming "Bula" song that was being sung from the pier on the 2 minute boat ride. We were shown around and then given some iced tea that at first made me a bit squeamish. It was literally passionfruit iced tea, something this San Franciscan did not identify immediately. I soon came to love those slimy, crunchy, tart seeds and ordered the refreshing beverage at every meal. Our room was not ready when we arrived, which did irritate me. Although, they gave us a wonderful lunch and my boyfriend watched the NBA finals in the air conditioned TV room while I sat by the pool.

Deluxe Overwater Bure: The A/C did not work well, but it must not have bothered us too much because we never complained about it. They provide bug repellant and sunscreen--use both liberally! The plunge pool is FREEZING! I only got in it once on our last day and then loved it. The rooms are perfect in every way. The bed is comfortable with a fan directly above you and the beautiful ocean in front of you. The daybed was my favorite spot to sit with a good book, a cup of coffee, and lots of bug spray. Did I mention that bug spray is very important? They do spray in the evenings, but those little buggers WILL get you if you are not covered head to toe (don't forget your toes) in repellant. I don't think I can say much more that hasn't been said about the rooms. They are huge, 5-star quality (I've stayed in plenty), and the warm cookies they deliver are quite addictive. My boyfriend actually tried to convince the guy that delivers them to fill up the sugar jar with cookies too. Oh, the mini-bar is kind of annoying. If you want it filled, you have to fill out a sheet of what you want and pay for it. They do give you milk, coffee, tea and water every day.

Overwater Bure: If you can afford it, stay in one of these! It's a much longer walk to lunch, but well worth it. You won't need that bug repellant nearly as much. Request bure #2, it is overwater more than the others. #1 is over mud during low-tide, but #2 is always over water. You get more cookies and an extra afternoon snack delivered in the overwaters. You get a TV in these rooms, but no cable. Ask the front desk for a list of DVD's. The A/C rocked! Very cool watching reef sharks go by. My boyfriend and I gazed down at the fishies for hours.

Food: Wonderful. Every meal offers fresh fish and light healthy options as well as something to please us American's. I appreciated the option to have french fries at lunch. The bread is the best I've ever had. I think I gained 5 pounds on bread and butter. I agree with the previous reviewer that the Fijian buffet wasn't the greatest, but that's because it happened to be my b-day and I don't like those types of foods. The Indan/Fijian night was awesome, though! Breakfast is great because you can help yourself to fresh fruit juices, granola, muffins, coconut juice, etc. at the buffet and then order off the menu as well. The very best thing is the brioche french toast with marscapone followed closely by the pineapple pancakes with coconut ice cream. Can't beat that.

Make sure to reserve your table for dinner in advance for your entire stay.

Activities: Ella at the activities desk was great! We did 3 dives which weren't so great. I guess Fiji isn't known for its diving, so I can't complain. It was so murky at times that I couldn't see the person in front of me. But obviously it wasn't so bad that we didn't want to go a 2nd and 3rd time :) We did the hoby cat thing, which was fun and also snorkeled off the pier during low tide. I swam a lot off our overwater bure, but not much from the beach. Water skiing was fun and cheapish ($60 Fijian for 1/2 hour).

The beach: It's Fiji, what can I say. It's very tidal. But it's that way everywhere. Don't go to Fiji if you want an amazing beach, 'cause sometimes it disappears. We were lucky enough to leave the day the tide changed to be the lowest during the sunny hours of the day.

The Spa: Small, but wonderful. We had two couples massages that were so very relaxing. Make sure to book in advance because they get booked up.

Gym: We walked past it so I know it's there, but I hear you have to go get a key from the front desk to get in. Kind of annoying.

These are a few of my favorite things: NO KIDS!!, cookies, friendly staff, free internet in the lobby, passionfruit iced tea, daybeds. Go here, you won't be disappointed unless you're super hard to please.

Whew! That was long, hope it was helpful.

4  Thank goreengo
Reviewed 23 June 2008

Although the resort itself is fabulous I don't recommend you swim in the water unless you take a boat and get away from the actual beachfront. I was snorkling close to shore and noticed something sticking to my hair. First I thought it was a lump of seaweed but discovered it was actually some sort of varnish that had been spilt into the water. It stuck to my hair in lkittle white lumps and was impossible to remove. Although the staff were apologetic in their lovely Fijian way I was unable to remove it.
I have had to have my hair cut and let the rest of it grown out.
Three months down the track it's still noticable. The resorts response to my complaints was to give me the name of the particular varnish so that I could use some sort of stripper to get rid of it!
The food was great except for the two nights when they have a buffet.
Accommodation is fabulous.
Beachfront is tidal and not really suitable for swimming. You really have to go offshore to enjoy the beautiful Fijian water.
Jacquie Blatchford. Sydney. Australia.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
Tokoriki Island Resort
#1 of 2 in Tokoriki Island
Castaway Island Fiji
Castaway Island Fiji
#1 of 1 in Castaway Island (Qalito)
Sheraton Resort & Spa, Tokoriki Island
Malolo Island Resort
Malolo Island Resort
#2 of 3 in Malolo Island

Been to Likuliku Lagoon Resort? Share your experiences!