May 2012 - We have just returned from a 7 night stay at Plantation Island Resort and wish we were still there. We travelled with an 18yo and 14yo and none of us wanted to leave. It was a brilliant holiday. You could do as little as you liked or as much as you liked. There is an activity board put up daily. We found the activities to be fantastic and a big thanks to Bill for organising them - he does a great job. There are numerous activities but a few are coconut husking, basket weaving, nature walks, a golf tournament etc. My husband and son especially enjoyed the golf day with Bill. Every night there is an activity at 9.00pm (also organised by Bill) - Bingo, crab racing, Mr Plantation, frog racing etc. All were enjoyable and great for a laugh - especially Mr Plantation!!
There are no shortage of water activities either - snorkelling is great straight from the island - straight out from beachfront Bure 209 is ideal. For a small fee you can take a boat out to the sandbank which is brilliant for snorkelling as well. Kayaking is free and great fun. We went on the banana boat, my son went parasailing, we took a trip on a dolphin safari (which included two snorkelling spots which were brilliant).
I cannot understand why there are so many negative reviews on this website for Plantation Island - it really makes me wonder if you can actually please some people. It is a 3 star resort - it has the most beautiful beach, gorgeous sunsets and amazing staff - it does not need to be 5 star. Personally, I think what we found most appealing was that it had a much more relaxed atmosphere than a 5 star resort would have. We were more than happy with our room and it was clean and spotless for when we arrived and that is what matters most to us. We stayed in a Studio Garden Bure and it was perfect for the four of us. It was perfectly located near the main pool and close walking distance to the restaurant. Perfect position. Every morning the room was cleaned to perfection and always done so discreetly - we never even saw the cleaners - usually it was done when we had gone to have breakfast - we would come back to a clean room.
We took the half board meal plan which suited us fine. We chose the buffet most nights but if you didn't like what was on the buffet, there was always a choice of the chef's special which gave you a choice of two main meals. Mongolian BBQ on the buffet was the best!
A special thank you to Semi in the restaurant who helped make our holiday special. Semi was always smiling and gave us many laughs. It is the little things like this that we remember and take home as happy memories of our holiday - thanks Semi.
All of the staff in the restaurant were amazing and we found them to be pleasant and all greeted us with a cheerful 'Bula'. They all worked extremely hard in order to please the guests staying there. If you are not keen on a buffet type meal, there are other options - Anandas is very good and the new restaurant at the convention centre was also very good. You certainly will not go hungry!
Cocohut is great for iced chocolates, iced coffees, milkshakes etc. or cappuccinos or lattes.
On a final note - we stayed a couple of nights at a five star resort in Denarau before coming over to Plantation. Next time, we wouldn't bother - we would just come straight to Plantation.
The friendly atmosphere on Plantation Island is what we love.
Thank you everyone on Plantation (Semi, Tomasi, Bill (activities), Richie, Miri, Anjana) we had a brilliant holiday and didn't want to leave. A few tears were shed on the boat leaving the Island. I think that says it all. We will be back soon.
The Eastaway Family
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled on the 553 acre island of Malolo Lailai, part of the Mamanuca Group of Islands, Plantation is surrounded by 23 acres of tropical gardens, coconut palms and white sandy beaches that front a beautiful sheltered lagoon. Plantation offers several accommodation options to suit most budgets, and is great value for families, students and fun loving couples. Most of the activities are complimentary including the 'Coconut Kids Club'. Come experience the friendly Fijian hospitality! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Plantation Island Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Plantation Island Hotel Malolo Lailai Island
- Plantation Island Malolo Lailai
- Island Plantation Resort
- Plantation Island Resort Fiji/Malolo Lailai Island