“Third review and it gets better all the time”

Plantation Island Resort
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Third review and it gets better all the time”
Reviewed 3 May 2014

This review is more a heads up for those who remember Pi as being run down and old feeling
BOY ARE YOU IN FOR A SHOCK.
FIrst of all there have been several new bure's built at the Lomani side of the resort. VERY nice modern and up to date.
Second-at the Ananda's end several of the 1 bedroom back to back Bure's have been gutted out and refitted to a really high standard as 2 bedroom Bure's -really nice.
Also several other roooms have been set up with joining doors so large famillies can stay together.
The Old copra hut was closed whilst we were there and has had a full rebuild of the main kitchen.-Our loss is your gain---it looks fantastic and modern.
The snack bar is back out on the beach front. -but completely upgraded.
Theres the little things too
Theres a plentifull supply of snorkle gear available.
The day trips area is new and fresh feeling.The day trips themselves are in better boats.
Ohh and the Mololo Cat 3 has been replaced with a new state of the art mololo cat 4
I have to make a real special mention of the efforts of two really great guys.-They have painstakingly been reestablishing the corals first under the wharf but also in other areas out in front of the beach area. Yep LIVE coral has returned to Plantation island after a fair few years.
This has also bought back the colorfull tropical fish we used to see 20 or more years ago. Albert -Im darn proud of you guys.
No it hasn't lost any of its charm--but the feeling it was a bit tired and worn out is VERY rapidly fading.
Frankly the place has the feeling of being uncrowded and totally relaxing.
I won't go on about the fantastic and freindly service from ALL the staff That hasn't changed one bit over the years. I alwas feel like an old freind returning to visit rather than just a number in the book.
--Heck even the Garbage man was happy to say Bula and give a freindly smile.
I know this isn't a typical review-but the improvements are so dramatic and noticeable you simply have to go back.
On a personal note-THIS trip was something special for us because we were taking my parents away with us.We had the whole pacific to choose from and Plantation was our choice.
My dad is the most cynical -critical old bugger there is and he said he loved every minute being there.

Room Tip: definitely suggest the 200 series room --they are all really nice.
10 Thank Tony F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (549)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

Ocean Front Bure a must at this ageing resort. It's not 5 star and the buffet is pretty basic however for the price the family entertainment is good value. The 200 numbered Bures are best - stay away from restaurant side as it smells and construction goes on from morning to night without warning. Michael from staff is pretty good value and I encourage anyone to take a number of free island walks with him around the whole island

Stayed December 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 24 April 2014

OK...this may be a long one. We just arrived home yesterday, 2 adults and our son who is 3.
This place is really amazing...a true paradise.
Lets start with food...sure its not fine dining but for example breakfast....fried or scrambled eggs, hash browns, baked beans, bacon, pancakes, tea cakes, fruit, tea, coffee, juice, toast, spreads, cereals...what more do you want. Sure its the same everyday but I don't know anyone who loads their plate up with that kind of breakfast everyday...and maybe you should just have something different from the range everyday so its not so "boring for you".
We didn't have the lunch buffet but grabbed a vegetable curry roti from the mini mart for FJD5 everyday which was sufficient. Dinner was a different theme everyday and as much as you wanted...then a range of cakes etc for dessert....again...what more do people want? Unless your a chef by trade...I don't think anyone should be complaining.
People complain the place is run down....I didn't see that...the tiles around the pools were fine and the decking being right on the sea would need to be changed pretty much yearly for it to look perfect.
The staff try really hard and are really so so friendly. The babysitting we got for our son was great. Sereana was amazing and our son absolutely adored her. Heads up, babsitting is paid in cash. The going rate is $4FJD per hour...but would you really just pay that?? Works out to about $2.25 AUD...anyway, we didn't.
Activities are great, parasailing was amazing, dolphin safari we missed out on seeing any but what do you expect in nature. Our son also took a liking to one of the boat crew Jo...was really sad he missed out on saying goodbuy but it wont be the last time we see any of them. Shell tour was great, was so nice seeing all the kids at their local school and all really excited to see you. We took some stationery and stickers along and handed them out to the teachers to use. They were really appreciative. The girls at the salson are lovely and we will definitely be staying in touch.
The fish in the water is in abundance swimming right through your legs, snorkelling is heaps of fun and the beaches again...stunning!!! water is so clear and pleasant.
We stayed in a 1 bedroom garden terrace and that was perfect. Rooms cleaned every day. was wonderful!!
Anyway, all in all, you would have to be pretty snooty to expect more from Plantation....and if you do...go stay at plastic man made denaru with grey beaches!
Thanks Plantation...we will be back soon!!

Room Tip: Lomani side...200 series for sure...although the 300's on the other side near Anandas didn't...
13 Thank JoannaZ79
Surfers Paradise, Australia
Reviewed 24 April 2014

If you are mega fussy and expect 5-star accommodation and food, then best to stay somewhere else. However, if you are wanting an island that has an amazing atmosphere, crystal clear blue water, white sandy beach, a great variety of accommodation and friendly staff, then this is for you! Our kids were aged 4, 6 & 11yrs and they all had a ball. Kids club, swimming pools, beach, snorkelling, playground & the little ones loved the nightly entertainment after dinner at the buffet, with the staff getting up to sing and Bale their favourite guitar man! There was also further entertainment down at the beach front bar from about 8.30pm. We also had our Wedding their on the Island which was perfect and well organised by Miri, Plantations Wedding Planner. There were 45 of us altogether and didn't hear of anyone that was disappointed with the buffet meals on offer. Some of our party also tried Anandas Restaurant which they were also impressed with. Plus there is Musket Cove which is more upmarket and also Lomani which is an adults only resort. Musket Cove is about a 10 minute stroll along the beach or Lomani about 7mins. The kids buffet was fairly limited with 4 choices each night. My kids are pretty fussy though, so they lived mainly on hot chips each night, followed by icecream in a cone. But who cares, they were on holiday and it was a treat! All in all, totally recommend Plantation Island, don't listen to the negative comments. If you wanna stay somewhere more upmarket, go to the Denarau Resorts on the mainland - it will feel like you're holidaying on the Gold Coast in Australia, rather than the atmosphere of a Fijian Island!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the new 2 bedroom bures, near the Lomani end of the island. Perfect! We had fri...
4 Thank Kerrie B
Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

This is the best island for a family with children ,with kids club , water slides in the pool , and a water park in the lagoon there plenty of fun ,beautiful water and sandy beaches , skip to the chase everything is great except for the meals on offer ( the buffet) and it's value , pub style food maybe not that good for $50 per person FJD (dinner ) What ever the currency it's a rip off even worse it went up from $40 pp with a blink of the eye and nothing else changed . Breakfast up to $40 pp and it's terrible ,very limited and poor quality, same everyday .when they say kids eat free , no they don't your over paying for every one . All guests that we spoke too felt the same way and some including me headed over to musket cove to enjoy a meal which was higher in quality ....room phone just used to book stuff didn't work from day 1 and still not working after telling them 4 times ( not a big deal just saying it 4 times is a pain . )over all worth a visit and a stay just don't spend any money in the buffet

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank craig b
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Great spot for a island holiday in many ways Plantation Island is the perfect spot . The staff on a whole a fantastic friendly . We arrived on the island and where told the place is totally cash less which should be the case expect for the fact that some of the staff are looking for ways to rid you of your cash in some back hand deals.

Some examples -GOLF- Decided to have a game of golf when I went to the pro shop (tin hut ) I asked for 9 holes of golf and a cart , the bloke in pro shop asked me to pay cash because it was after 4 .00 pm , he explained that the books closed and that it was normal to pay cash after this time , funny thing was I had no cash as previously I was told as all guests where that this is a cashless island after I explained this he said it was ok to book the golf to my room .

- Surfing , will we booked a early surf at the surf booth and was told the cost would be $210 FJ for the trip and for the boat driver to wait for us as long as we went to one spot and checked the break out and surfed if we decided to look around at the other surf breaks available the cost would be $250 FJ, well we went to one spot liked it and surfed it was great but the bill was $ 250 FJ and after our trip he then said we should go past a floating restaurant called Cloud Nine which was only a short trip which it's not it was 40 minutes out of our way , turns out the Surf boat guys get a retainer for ever boat they take past Cloud Nine as after a surf its a great spot for a drink and food , but we had no cash .

Jet Ski - Well at the water activity's centre where you hire SUP , canoes and Hobbie which there are two available , we notice a broacher which advertised JET SKI hire well after some time with a staff member from Plantation Island we arranged for 3 Jet Skis to hire . AS arranged we went to the water activity's centre at 1.00 pm for our Jet Ski hire which was for 1 hour , well FIJI TIME at 1.30 pm the staff member at PLANTATION ISLAND RESORT informs us that , for safety we need to book a boat as well to meet the 3 Jet Skis at the low tide sand bar , we where at this time just keen for a ride , after some time 2 Jet Skis arrive from a other resort I think the name was the Mololo resort anyway then we got want was really happening the staff member was on a commission from the JET SKI hire guys from the other resort and was not really allowed to sell the hire of JET skis from Plantation Island Resort .

SCUBA - This was not so bad went for a dive at the pre dive briefing we where all informed that out tanks had 200 bar , I should have checked myself I didn't , but within 3 minutes of hitting the water I checked my gauges and it read 130 bar which I then told the dive master at a depth of 10 meters, well he singled me to continue my dive lucky for me my dive partner friend so at his stage I made sure he new what was going on , anyway after a bit of time I was on 90 bar which I informed first my dive partner then the Dive Master he gave me the ok signal , but at 23 meters or so I was not so ok about this anyway after some minutes I was on 40 bar and the dive for the other 6 divers was only 3/4 of the way in but at 23 meters on 40 bar I had to make the call to my dive partner now that I was on 30 bar and dropping so as per safety we did a emergency ascent from 23 meters .

And holiday and adventure all in one .

1 Thank Wayne C
Gold Coast, Australia
Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

We went to a friends wedding & were pleasantly surprised by everything on island. Absolutely beautiful stunning!! Gr8 staff very quite & relaxing. Can't wait to go back:)) gr8 fun for kids & adults heaps to do if u want to. Gr8 experience wonderful

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
#2 of 3 in Malolo Lailai Island
Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island
Castaway Island Fiji
Castaway Island Fiji
#1 of 1 in Castaway Island (Qalito)
Likuliku Lagoon Resort
Likuliku Lagoon Resort
#1 of 3 in Malolo Island
Matamanoa Island Resort
Matamanoa Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Matamanoa Island
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,037 reviews

Been to Plantation Island Resort? Share your experiences!