“Beautiful location and good value for money”

Plantation Island Resort
Melbourne, Australia
“Beautiful location and good value for money”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Had a lovely stay at Plantation Island Resort (PIR). The beaches are fantastic and the snorkelling was great. A short trip on the boat takes you to an even better reef to explore. There is a water slide and jumping castle at the main beach which the kids loved. We stayed on the Lomani side of the resort and were in one of the newer bures which was beautiful. Plenty of space for our family of five.
The resort is a bit run down and the kids pool is quite small and the slide is a bit dangerous.
Staff on the most part were friendly but at times had difficulty finding someone in the restaurant to help seat us and order drinks.
The kids club needs renovating. It is a tiny dark room and my kids were not happy to stay in there. The outdoor kids activities were fantastic though and the kids loved the crab hunting, making coconut boats etc.

Room Tip: We stayed on the Lomani side of the resort and were in one of the newer bures which was beautiful. P...
3 Thank Victoria D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (559)
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

Every time I read bad reviews about this place I thought people were winging and had no idea how to enjoy themselves .. Until now.

This was our 4th time and we knew that the food here was not exactly fine dining- but the location always compensated for this- plus we could always go for a walk to musket cove -

FOOD
Well the food is even worse now- not exaggerating when I say jail food must be better.. breakfast was ok- cold cereal, eggs, something they are calling bacon that tastes and looks gross..

Lunch is the same menu everyday with 6 different items - steak which is sooo chewy it's unedible,
Fish that's really dry and unseasoned, cheeseburger which my kids would not eat (and they are not fussy) and a couple other things that were equally disappointing.. We tried ALL dishes and did not fine one that we could stomach..
Dinner - we arrived to plantation at 4pm on the Friday even though we flied 6.30am- between flying, waiting at the airport, catching a taxi and then the Malolo cat (boat) with 8 kids under 10 you could say were starving and tired.. We got the keys and went to our bure- settled in and then walked to the restaurant for our dinner- was around 5pm by then.
We get there and the staff tell is that we can't have dinner as all tables are booked!! And that we must book early as tables book out by lunch! Frustrated- they suggest that we walk to the hot food bar instead - we do that with 8 hungry kids in towe only to be told that it's closed..
We had no choice but to feed the kids packet chips,
Musli bars and le snacks .. Wish I knew on that day that this was the first of many more disappointing days..

The other nights at dinner were horrendous.. Staff take AGGGGES to serve you.. Even a jug if water for the kids could take 15 min... The buffet food was WAYY below average.. Not only that but you have to like up in this loong que with empty plate in hand that felt like you were in some kind of camp waiting for left lovers..
$50 (Fijian) per person and all we did was rearrange the food on our plates .. It was unedible..
And every night we went as we had no other choice - dicks place had nicer food and so does lomanis but they are both adults only.. Kids buffet was awful too.. Always the same- hot chips with pizza or hot chips with sausage roll or hot chips with spaghetti bol (which had mince that was almost black in colour)

And salad? What salad? There was none!

So every night we paid $50 each and we ate hot chips.. And bread.. And bread .. And hot chips.. I think I ingested more patato and grains in those 10 days then I did in my whole life! That was the only thing that tasted ok..

SERVICE
I have a distant memory of friendly Fijians always smiling and making me feel so far away from the hustle and bustle of home.. It seems they are gone.
This time no body seemed happy at all- in fact it was all a bit depressing..we hesitated to ask for anything as it always seemed they were really under the pump- you could see it in their tense faces and the way they walked.. The way they reacted when you asked for something and the way they talk to each other in Fijian .. I swear it seemed they were talking about us..

ROOMS

Dont expect anything fancy here - it is 3 star but it was all a bit bothersome.. Walk to reception to change towels ..walk to reception to get tokens for washing machine (reception ALWAYS soo busy it could take 20 min) walk to reception to buy drinking water (a few years ago they supplied each bure with a big thermo jug full of water which they used to refill daily- no more!!- u must BUY ur water now and it costs $6 for 500ml x by 7 daily and you can see how they get you in your final bill)
Walk to reception to ask for pegs which they tell you to buy- I wasted a whole day just trying to organise our washing.. And machines were always taken and if you don't wait for one to finish cycle(1.5 hrs) someone else takes it - and if you don't take out your clothes when your cycle finishes - someone will take them out and put them on the dirty bench)

Oh ! Now you have to go to reception to ask for a bag to take your clothes back to the room.. Another half hr wait...

There are no bowls/plates or cutlery in rooms.. So the breakfast items we brought from the small supermarket at musket cove was a but tricky.. We ended up asking for some at the restaurant- anther half hour wait...

I must mention that there is a foul sewage smell around this island daily.. It seems this is normal as no one except us were bothered by this- and try not to use the bathroom adjacent to the buffet bar- the smell in there will turn u off your food..

Kids club

Activities were ok but very dark and dirty inside..

OVERALL
Disappointing! It was such a hassle to do anything.. Not much relaxing at all- 5 of the 8 kids with us got a vomiting bug to top it all off..
The best day we had was when we visited other islands like castaway.. Honestly I was kicking myself with regret for going to plantation..

Stayed May 2014
10 Thank Grace_h82
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Ok - I read all the reviews of Plantation Island before I arrived and I had an open mind on what to expect. But then I was reminded that I am paying over $200 AUD bucks a night - surely it can't be that bad - I think all reviews should keep in mind what the price of the accommodation is.
We were staying here because a friend was getting married here.

We had spent 4 nights previously at a Yasawa resort about 20 minutes away by seaplane which was amazing - but there were almost no children there - and having a 2 yo I also thought Plantation Island would be great - it's renowned for its child activities.

Booking - We booked online through a third party booking provider (their prices were 30% cheaper than going direct through the resort - I would suggest you do the same)
We received a follow-up email from the resort asking about our transfers. All good. Having read the reviews on the food on this website - we didn't want to be locked into any meal plans which made sense - the food turned out to be terrible - see below.

Arrival - We arrived via seaplane from our earlier resort - it saved us 6 hours in transit and was worth it - the view was amazing.
But our greeting on arrival of the plane was non-existent - perhaps you need to arrive via a large Catamaran to get one - this was different to the other resort we stayed at.
We were then marched from the beach through the resort to reception and provided with our room keys etc.

Our room was a garden terrace towards Lomani resort - it actually looked brand new - but unlike rooms of similar prices at other hotels there were almost no amenities. It is the first time I have ever paid over 200 bucks for a room and not been provided a television - or even a basic ipod dock would have been useful. But there was nothing provided not even shampoo and conditioner (I suggest you take your own if you intend on swimming whilst on holiday). But who needs a TV when there is so many activities I hear you suggest .... exactly.

Having read the reviews on the food options at Plantation when we arrived we quickly set out finding the alternative dining and drinking options on the island - for the same and mostly less money there were better options to be had a Dicks Place (the Fijian ladies there are lovely and the food is amazing compared to Plantation) and don't miss the Island Bar - in Musket Cove Resort. Well worth the extra walk for the view.

Activities
There are 2 or 3 pools at Plantation, the larger pool is quiet and away from the noise of the beach and dining area. The beach area is nice especially at sunset, limited shade during the day. The floatation tower is popular - some of our part say it is the best thing about the resort. If you are wanting to snorkel - bring your own - almost every snorkel available for hire at the resort has had the teeth holds chewed off which makes it near impossible to use with any confidence should you wish to put your head underwater.
KIDS CLUB
Kids club is great - no complaints. The baby sitter they arranged was perfect. Our daughter loved spending time with her. I can see this being a major drawcard with the resort.

Some negatives..
Under appreciated and over worked staff
This was the second resort in Fiji we had stayed at so in terms of what to expect I can only compare with the service we received elsewhere. That being said you could tell the staff were under pressure. I am not sure why there were so few staff members and why they are worked so hard but there was never enough staff to cope with the demand for services. We spoke with our cleaning lady who explained that she is paid $3FJ an hour and that she hasn't had a pay rise in 12-14 years!!. This to me is very disappointing. Something is wrong if the resort feels the need to charge over $400FJ a night for what is a very basic room and only pay their staff less than $3FJ an hour to clean it. No wonder the staff seem uninterested and unhappy to be there. I think the management of this resort need to do better - the money paid by guests is going somewhere and it should be shared with the staff to make everyone's experience more enjoyable. I get the feeling the owners don't care - and this does not make me want to return. None of the staff acted like they wanted to be there - and at the wages they are paid no wonder.

Worst Neighbours in a Family Holiday Resort Ever
We were unlucky with the room we were given - as we were situated next to the one of the rudest neighbours we have ever come across in our 2.5 years of travelling with a child.
Having a 2yo is hard enough without neighbours who on the first night actually opened the door to our room to find out what was going on when our daughter was upset about going to bed.
On our second last night when our daughter woke up very early in the morning and wouldn't go back to sleep - our neighbour actually bashed on our door and yelled through the door at my wife. I have never heard of such behaviour before.

WILD DOGS!!
My wife decided to go jogging one morning near the resort golf course. Running down one of the tracks she was attacked by three vicious wild dogs. Now these were not the domestic dog who got off the leash kind you see in parks sometimes - but wild dogs - unhandled by humans defending whatever it is they were living on - food scrap garbage apparently. We have a large dog at home so my wife knows how to handle herself with dogs i.e not to run, and stand your ground and make a loud noises - but it was lucky that it was just her and not our 2yo with her who often goes in the pram with her. I have no idea how a resort that caters for families can possibly think any chance of wild dog attacks is acceptable. Luckily my wife only had slight scratches and they did not draw blood but the episode ruined what was left of our holiday. We informed the front desk of the nightmare that my wife had just gone through - and were told oh yes there are wild dogs - we have tried to get rid of them. Where did you find them we will send someone out with spears to kill them! No offer of a refund or discount of the trauma my wife just went through on their resort. There were no signs anywhere warning you of the chance of wild dog attacks of any kind. If you stay there - try and find a sign - you wont be able to.

FOOD
Don't bother eating here - some of the worst buffet food you will find. The selection is diverse but consider that you are paying around $30 AUD for a buffet and what you could find at the restaurant a short walk (DICKS) away with no chance of food poisoning and it is a no brainer. Trust me one of your party will get food poisoning if you decide to eat here. Numerous members of our party ended up with some type of food borne illness including children. Again avoid the food. We ate here only because our child enjoyed spending time with other guests children who had mistakenly bought one of the meal plans. Also be careful what they charge you - the waiter will tell you a price to get you to sit down there - then the receipt will come and they will say the front desk will amend the price for you as the computer printed it wrong - then when you get to the front desk to check out and query the price they will say no this is the correct price. By then it is 3 days later and almost impossible to chase up.

I would go on with complaints but even writing this review brings back memories of one of the worst holidays in memory.

Room Tip: For your own safety find one that is as far away from Plantation Island as possible. It is not hard...
9 Thank HolidayPete
Sydney
Reviewed 3 June 2014

This was our second time to Plantation Island (the previous time was 8 years ago) and whilst some things were new (e.g. coffee and juice bar, the 'water park') or upgraded (some rooms, the snack bar), many things were of the same basic standard (e.g. all three pools, the kids club etc).

Plantation has a great location in terms of the beach, with the sparkling (and very warm) water offering very good snorkelling for beginners. We probably saw 50 different species of fish over the course of the week we stayed there. We brought our own masks and snorkels and hired flippers (FJD5 for the week). The sand bar snorkelling trip (FJD15 per adult) was excellent, as was the afternoon trip to Honeymoon Island and Castaway (FJD69 per adult). The water park slide and bouncy pillow was a lot of fun for our two girls (aged 11 and 8), so if you have active kids who are confident swimmers Plantation is a great choice. We played putt-putt golf a few times but our girls didn't like the look of the kids' club (more suited to 4-7 year olds) and only went for one session of tie-dying a t-shirt.

In terms of the food on offer, the thought we had was "You go to Plantation to eat; you go to Musket Cove to dine." The breakfast at Plantation (FJD30 for adults) was very basic and not very appetising, so after the first morning we stocked up with cereal and milk from Ananda's Mini Mart and had breakfast in our room (using bowls and spoons we had brought with us). The 3 buffet dinners (FJD40 per adult) we had at the restaurant (curry, BBQ & Fijian) were not too bad and offered enough choice at a decent quality. However the lunch options were limited and the snack bar had poor quality food with dodgy hygiene, so sometimes we bought bread rolls (plus butter and cheese) from the mini mart, along with some snacks and fruit. Other times we walked across to Musket Cove and had many fabulous meals (both lunch and dinner), which were really nice. I would highly recommend a trip to Musket Cove to sample their restaurant.

One point about the meal plans which was very confusing: we did not pay for the meal plans, nor were we on a "kids eat free" deal, so after each meal at Plantation we were presented with a bill which had a cost for the kids' meal (e.g. FJD20 for dinner; FJD15 for breakfast). When we checked out the kids' meals did not appear on our final bill, even though they were on all the dockets from each meal.

The garden bure room we had was of a good size and location (20 metres to the beach), but as it had not been renovated it was very old and tired. One thing to consider is that there are no windows (only shutters), so to keep the bugs out (and the cool air in when you have the air con going), you have to keep the shutters closed and can't look out. If you are considering staying at Plantation then have a good think about the room type and compare prices against other resorts. If you are happy to compromise on the appearance of a room to save money (but still have all the benefits of the location), then Plantation is still worth considering. Just be aware that your expectations of the quality of the room may be too high when you work out that you are paying to stay at a relatively cheap resort.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Kirradom
Reviewed 3 June 2014

July 2013 was the furthest back the review would let me go but I actually went with my family in October 2011.

This island resort is beautiful and fantastic for families, there's plenty to do for everyone and as anywhere in Fiji, the locals are just beautiful, friendly people!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank shepppy
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Initially booked this holiday with a bit of trepidation given some of the less than complimentary reviews posted here. Happy to say none of the issues raised by the harder to please eventuated.
Room: The location was sensational (bure 405) in a newly refurbished room. Admittedly a couple of minor teething issues with the room - but now i know how royalty feels with the smell of fresh paint prevalent. The issues with the room were quickly and effectively dealt with by reception. (of note - I wouldn;t necessarily hire the tradies for their attention to detail and finishing skills) excellent aircon - when needed. Good privacy and easy walking distance to anywhere.
Food: Had no major issues with the quantity or quality. Breakfsat is as good as many hotels I've stayed at around the world. My daughter loved the hot cakes and my wife the 'scones'. In fact, the food was that good we noticed a few people sneaking cup cakes etc into their bags for later!! We took a couple of evening meals at the buffet and were pleasantly surprised. Curry night was great, pasta night a hit with the kids and still plenty of options for gluten free me. We were only midly disappointed with the Asian buffet but only due to the long wait (eventually we left and went elsewhere) this due to it ebing along the lines of Mongolian BBQ i.e. choose yr meats and veg and they cook it in front of you - a few logistical hurdles for the management to address. It should be noted that due to the usual buffet restaurant getting some overdue attention only one venue available. having said that, enjoed a couple of meals at Ananda's. Not five star but still good enough - great curries and accompaniments. Also ventured to Musket ove for a meal and was largely underwhelmed.
The snack bar was a good choice for lunches and the two shops/supermarket were adequate for snacks etc (similar pricing to the main island) The 'coffee shop' was a particular plus. Good hot and cold drinks with a daily smoothie or iced chocolate becoming a fixture.
Staff; Overall, sensational. Polite and friendly and willing to go the extra yard if you treated them courteously and repsectfully. No issues when paying the bills. The restaurant staff even offered to talk with the chef to get more GF options for me (which wasn't required but a nice offer all the same). Some comments referred to surly and dis-interested staff. I would be too if treated in the manner that some of the 'budget' travellers did. There's no need to be rude and/or hold overly demanding expectations of the staff, they're doing their best in often trying circumstances. watching people with a sense of entitlement engaging, often rudely, with the staff angered me.
Facilities: many people commenting on the fcat construction noise bothered them - dry your eyes. It is actually heartening to see the resort putting the effort into upgrading their facilities and when you note their occupancy levels you then appreciate the small windows of opportunity for them to do maintenance let alone upgrading. many possibly think off peak times would be better, however there's a reason people don;t travel to fiji at certain times of the year and those same resons often preclude construction work. It was nice to see a new Jetty and function centre/bar underway at the ananda's end. The gear hire and other facilities were great. the inflatable water park was a hit with all kids. The other activities all seemed reasonably priced and appropriate. pools were good with perhaps the kids pool needing some TLC.
All in all one of the most relaxing trips for a long time...nothing to do and all day to do it.
A few warnings though: Follow the rules re water usage. Only fill the provided bottles at the bar. Wear sunscreen and a hat - then you have less chance of getting heat/sun stroke and trying to blame the food for your self-induced illness. (thanks to a lovely Italian lady for clarifying that for me in resepct to her daughter lol.)

Room Tip: two bedroom bures at the ananda's end. also look at the poolsides in the same area. A bit quiete...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank olddadnz
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I first visited Plantation Island in 1982 as a 6 year old and many times over the years after that. I hadn’t visited for several years and returned, it had changed but it was still the same place, perhaps a little tired looking, this was a few years back and since then I have returned 4 times, the most recently with my 2 year old daughter. I viewed this trip as the beginning of the next generation of my family to visit, sadly it will probably be the last.

Our room was dated but as we planned to spend very little time there it was ok. There was air conditioning, which barely worked but it sufficed. One leg of the floor mounted machine had rusted and was jagged on the bottom, perfect to cut an inquisitive child.

Our room was tidied each day and the beds made, but our glasses were not cleaned or even removed and as such sat there for two weeks. We had a water jug supplied to the room, which when empty I called reception to have them refill, one day I had to call them four times to have it refilled.

The food is, as mentioned by most, horrendous. School camp and prison food are all apt descriptions. It is cheap and mass produced, no doubt part of their cost cutting regime.
If there were plates, there was no food and boy was it busy. Meal time was like a cattle muster, without Jackeroos and drunk cattle. Currently capacity stands at around 700, no doubt PIR management will correct this in their defensive, combative response (if they can be bothered), with plans to expand to 1000! At our time of visit the resort was only 60%-70% full.

A full house would be unspeakable, I couldn’t imagine anything worse.

Was it the food that made us sick? Not sure, but there were plenty of others who were sick, I felt particularly sorry for the family with 12 month old twins and a 3 year old, all of whom were sick, at the same time.

Plantation Island has always touted itself as a family destination, so it was strange that the group of single men waking us with their swearing and vomiting in the small hours a couple of nights in a row were actually there. Maybe they had eaten something dodgy too?

Some have mentioned in previous reviews that they found the staff rude. I found them to be lacking motivation, however once engaged they were beautiful, warm and welcoming but over worked and stressed, due to staff cut backs I assume. As a management professional I know that when frontline staff are unmotivated, management is to blame, negativity is heavy and flows down from the top.

I tried my best to overlook all of this, and the biggest sign that I wasn’t having the best holiday, was when we visited Musket Cove for dinner and it felt like a weight had been lifted. It was quiet, slow paced and the food was exquisite. We didn’t eat at Plantation again.

It is still a beautiful island to visit, however the continual deep water dredging near Ananda’s is eroding the beach up by the “200” bures. That was once the most beautiful stretch of powdery white sand on earth, sadly it will be gone one day, all in the name of progress.

I hope PIR management reads all negative reviews carefully and doesn’t immediately leap on the defence, you can turn it around but it will take some clever thinking and a hell of a lot of hard work.

Let me know when you get there and I might come back.

Room Tip: Book a room at Musket Cove.
4 Thank returnoflono
Musket Cove Island Resort
#1 of 3 in Malolo Lailai Island
Castaway Island Fiji
Castaway Island Fiji
#1 of 1 in Castaway Island (Qalito)
Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island
Likuliku Lagoon Resort
Likuliku Lagoon Resort
#1 of 3 in Malolo Island
Tokoriki Island Resort
Tokoriki Island Resort
#1 of 2 in Tokoriki Island

Been to Plantation Island Resort? Share your experiences!