“Plantation your simply the best :0)”

Plantation Island Resort
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Plantation your simply the best :0)”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Just come back from 7 nights on Plantation Island, our 5th visit in 8 years. We stayed in a beautiful bure on the beach front, we were so blessed to get one that had 2 bedrooms. The staff were even more friendly and helpful than ever before. Every day our room was cleaned to perfection by Emi or as I thought her name was Emma. We had the Breakfast and dinner meal deal, totally awesome. The breakfast was out of this world, the choice is amazing. I chose the fresh fruit and musli with youghert and perk coffee, and fresh orange juice, toast and eggs, you could have a omlette cooked while you waited for fried eggs. The way the new restaurant is set up now makes for a large roomy area where you are never waiting for anything, the only part that was a bit of a shame was we were no longer eating at the beach, but understand that with the volume of people to cater for I would rather have it the new way. We never had to worry about getting flippers etc at any time of the day, plenty of everything and no wait. I had a beautiful massage and a hair treatment with the ladies at the salon, and at a very good price too. Yes each night is a differend theme for dinner, and yes sometimes it might not be your favourite, but we enjoyed each and every nights dinner very much. Sometimes I think toward the end of the holiday your getting a bit spoilt with eating out and thats when you get a bit tired of the food. Everything was done in a very professional way, well done Plantation Island you have done it again for us :0)

8 Thank SHERYL407

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (561)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

This was our first trip to Fiji, we Just returned from a 7 night stay at Plantation Island and 3 nights at Raddison Blu. After 2 nights at Plantation I was ringing my travel agent to see if we could leave and move back to Denarau Island. Unfortunately we would have been out of pocket quite a bit so chose to stay and make the best of our trip with the kids. I will start with the good things...Our 2 bedroom garden Bure was new, clean and tidy and a short few steps to the beautiful blue water. A tour to local village and school was fantastic, also many other snorkel tours available and island hop tour. Kids club staff and babysitter service good and affordable at $4 FJD per hour, movies every night for kids 7-9pm giving parents time out for dinner or drinks. Plenty water sport options & putt putt golf which the kids loved. We prepaid our meals as we heard this was most cost effective, unfortunately I did not count on the food being below standard. Most days my hubby and I dreaded the dinners and Buffett breakfast, even the kids got sick of hot chips as most other options they did not eat and normally they are not fussy eaters! I heard so much about Fiji before this trip about how warm the people are and how nice the food is so was totally let down by this experience at Plantation. Like other reviews stated most staff really seemed as though they did not want to be there. Every night the buffet has a theme so we tried it a few nights and then chose to eat elsewhere even though the kids did not eat free there. The other 2 options were better but still not great. If I visited any of these places in Sydney I would not have gone back, so being stuck on the island and having to eat there 7 nights was terrible. Also like other posts most of the resort is run down and in major need of renovation. I was also looking forward to a few treatments whilst there, unfortunately there is no real day spa....It's a hairdressing salon that does manicure,pedicure and massages,we walked in for our massage and we were overcome by hairspray guests were getting ready for a wedding. The massage was nice but my hubby and I were dripping oil afterwards. We may visit Fiji again but definitely not plantation Island!!!

3 Thank Marysa1
Dave W, General Manager at Plantation Island Resort, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Bula Marysa 1.

Thank you for taking time to write to write your review of your recent trip to Plantation Island. Your feedback is important to us and helps us maintain or make corrections where necessary.Thank you for your positive comments and pleased to know that you enjoyed some aspects of the resort. I am sorry to read your comments on the food and service and have discussed with the chef and his kitchen staff. This is a new team at the resort and we are trying to rectify a number of issues. It is pleasing to see such comments of areas that we are improving on. the resort has started training programmes for all departments and with this in place, we hope to improve in areas whereby guests such as yourself has have made reference to.
Once again, thank you for your feedback from the team at Plantation Island resort.
Dave Woodman GM.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Beautiful location with beach at the door step. The rooms really need a good revamp or at least a coat of paint. The bathroom wall didn't even go up to the ceiling so we could clearly hear each other when on the toilet. The safe in our room wasn't working but thankfully was promptly fixed and no problems after that. The rooms were clean and tidy, water was hot, made up each day after lunch but really need a make over, fast!
Luckily we took plug in mosquito zapper for inside our room at night as the little biters are persistent, sprayed aerogard on our legs at dusk for that very reason. I noticed around the dining area that there were many mosquito coils quietly burning away in little boxes about the place. I also noticed people with obvious mozzie bites on their arms and legs, saying that they were attacked through the night.
The food was OK but not a lot of variety, same menu for lunch each day. Kids menu was quite boring, lacking variety but my 11 year old son liked it. The floor around the dining areas was always very slippery with sand, I almost lost my footing a few times. During dinner, there were some Fijians with guitars singing really well but were singing Top 40 type songs...found that quite disappointing as I would prefer native songs. Each night in the central part of the restaurant they would sing the Bula! song which was lovely, then a staff member wuld start talking about the resort. Problem was, unless you were sitting within a 3 table radius, you couldn't hear a word he said. We were on the prepaid full board package but luckily we asked for a printout of our expenses after a few days and found we were being charged for lunch daily. That was rectified quickly and didn't happen again thankfully, luckily we checked. We had to sign a receipt in triplicate every time we ordered lunch or bought something from the little shops, so it was charged back to our room. At first I thought how tedious but quickly realised that our copies of the receipts were what helped us notice we were being charged for things we shouldn't have been charged for. Keep your receipts and ask for printout of expenses every 2nd day and check them off carefully.
We went on a guided walk up to a high point on the island, which was very nice and scenic, the guide Albert, was very friendly and informative. The staff were all pleasant enough, always well dressed and presentable but weren't as friendly as they are at the smaller resorts we've stayed at in Fiji.
Generally I found Plantation to be quite a busy resort, so many families there, which I don't mind as we've got 2 kids ourselves but it was almost like George Street at times, what with people walking around, small aircraft landing on the airstrip between the two resorts and/or sea planes landing very close to shore, little trucks back and forth between Plantation and Musket Cove. I found it too noisy and busy, not as relaxing as I'd hoped.
The water park was a great attraction for the older kids (I'd say 7+), they all had to wear life jackets because at high tide the water is quite deep. The pools were incredibly busy with younger kiddies so we avoided them altogether and snorkeled, paddled every day at the beach.
We stayed for 7 nights but really I would have preferred only 5 but I'm not sorry that we went.
Remember the mozzie zappers for your rooms!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Judi K
Dave W, General Manager at Plantation Island Resort, responded to this review, 20 July 2014
Dear Judi K.

Thanks very much for taking time to write your review, your comments and feedback are very important to us. We have noted the areas of concern and where necessary discussed with the various department managers.

We are sorry that you found it very distracting with the various modes of transport. I am pleased to advise you that the resort is soon to commense further refurbishment to the resort. This includes the continuation of rooms/bures upgrades. Unfortunately with the restaurant just metres away from the beach, sand is very easily transferred by foot in and around. A constant brooming where possible helps but it's an ongoing task.

We do thank you for the time you have taken to write your review and also thank you for choosing Plantation Island Resort. Maybe another opportunity in the future to visit us in the not so busy period is possible? We hope so.

best regards,
Dave Woodman GM. Plantation Island Resort.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed for a week recently . Beautiful location. The resort is tired in parts but they are spending money doing it up. What they have done is lovely.
The buffets are good value for money and a reasonable standard. During our stay we had buffet dinner a few nights, dinner at Anandas twice which was quite average. The Old Copra opened half way through our stay with a la carte food and it was very nice.We ate there twice. They have a very complicated billing system where they charge every meal and then credit certain amounts from the meal plan, instead of billing extra only. This is further complicated if you have family across different rooms. Allow time to sort at end of holiday. We had an in incident during our holiday when I returned to the room one afternoon to find it full of smoke. The air conditioning unit we shared with our neighbours had caught fire and caused lots of smoke to the rooms. Smoke alarms did not go off as no batteries. They moved our room and gave a small credit, but not enough considering during a night it could have killed us. Mgmt response was they are putting new smoke detectors in all rooms, from Australia instead of China. To be sure take your own and batteries for it...

8 Thank NZLucy
Hi NZ Lucy.
Thank you for your review and the positive feedback you have given even though you had a distressful moment with the aircon and the smoke alarm. Our most sincere apologies over that situation and would like to assure you and those who read your comments, all detectors have been thouroughly checked for servicability.
thank you for your comments also on the fact that the resort is spending money on refurbishing and that it is noticable.
Your comments are well received and appreciated that you have taken time to give us feedback. We need the guest comments, good or bad to help us maintain or improve our standards. From all at Plantation Island, thank you.
Dave Woodman, GM.
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

Idyllic location. Resort is not plush, would benefit from a revamp of facilities, and the restaurants are basic, but lots to do, and lots of fun to be had if you go on the understanding this is not a 5 star resort. For the cost of the holiday this exceeded expectations. Lots to keep kids and adults amused; great beach, good pools, activities, bars and sports. Enjoy

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank nzstevo1
Bula NZstevo1.

We very much appreciate the time you have taken to write your review of Plantation Island Resort.
We are equally pleased to read that you had a good time.

I am happy to tell you that the resort will soon embark on a major refurb programme.

Your feed back is important, and helps keep us heading in the right direction.

Once again, thank you for the review and for choosing to stay at Plantation Island Resort.

Best regards, Davwe Woodman GM, Plantation Island Resort.
Auckland
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We have been travelling to Fiji ever year for the past eight years and have stayed a number of places from Blue Lagoon Resort, Octopus Resort to The Radisson in Denarau and we have never experienced such a run down, horrible resort experience in our Fiji holidays before. I know Fiji and was not expecting a 4 or 5 star experience when I booked here but did however expect decent food, beach towels provided, a nice bar and dining location and experience - but you will not get this here! The buffet at FJD 50 pp was a rip off given the quality of food. breakfast also you have to 'line up' like in army barracks and be sent to your table and told you could only eat when you got your ticket which half the time never came. There was a constant lack of glassware, bread and butter. Water leaked on the floor from water fountains that staff seemed quite ambivalent about mopping up. The food hall (yes you actually felt you were eating in a food hall) was loud and noisy with no entertainment at dinner sitting at all- no music, no local Fijians singing nothing. The swimming pool area was poor and it felt no better than a glorified campground swimming pool. No cushions were supplied for outdoor chairs or loungers - you had to check them out and and carry them around each day (as if guests were going to steal them or something). The kids pool was about 1.5m deep so kids 10 and under actually couldn't even touch the bottom of the pool so not much of a kids pool! There was hardly any seating by the kids pool and as a parent you want to be at arms reach to young kids in the pool. The staff are sloppy and unfriendly and all looked like they didn't want to be there. The restaurant area by the beach was dark with a desolate feel to it and there was no nice outdoor seating or cool outdoor beach/pool bar area which seems to be the general model at resorts in Fiji. The beach is beautiful at high tide only. The tide is out most of the time and your view turns to mud flaps and the ugly wharf where the big boat comes in four times a day. I realise this place is not 4/5 stars but I have stayed in other 3 star Fiji resorts and they put this resort to shame! The basic elements to make a Fiji experience are just not delivered here. The only good thing I have to say is that our beachfront bure was tidy and that after a heated discussion with management the resort agreed to refund 2 nights for us. we had paid for 6 but decided to leave early because it was that bad. I had also spoken to two other families that we're leaving early too because of such a horrible experience. Please read the bad reviews on this site and believe me when I tell you that it is all true. Do not book here!!!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
17 Thank rtanner1975
Dear rtanner1975.

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of your recent stay at Plantation Island Resort.

We are very sorry that your time with us was not an enjoyable one. Your many comments are a point of discussion between the Department Heads and would like to assure you that, where necessary and applicable have been dealt with.

Plantation Island Resort prides itself on the reputation of a fine family orientated resort. Guest feed back is always welcome as it helps us to make amends and better ourselves in areas of concern. Your review has been constructive and we thank you for raing those issues.

The resort has embarked on a Customer care/Service training programme which will enhance our committment to our valued guests.

Once again, our sincere apologies that we were unable to meet your expectations.
Sincerely, Dave Woodman GM. Plantation Island Resort.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We just got back from a 7 night stay in a 1 bedroom garden terrace. The room was ideal with two small children as we were very central to everything (close to the reception building) but still surrounded by beautiful gardens. The room was clean, spacious and had everything we needed. We used a cot which was old style but clean. With four ceiling fans we didn't really need to use the air conditioner. It was beautiful to sit outside every morning and enjoy breakfast.

The resort was full of kids so I'd probably avoid this place if I wasn't travelling with them but on the other hand if you have them this is the place to go. Ours were a little young to make the most out of the waterpark, the kayaks, snorkelling and all of the organised activities (1 & 3) but there is a kids club and you could hire a babysitter to stay with them if you wanted free time. Kids had to be over 4 to be signed into kids club on their own. However, this was our only real negative of the whole place. We felt kids club was very dirty and we also didn't feel comfortable leaving our kids there. This may be a cross between the fact that we haven't used childcare yet so have never left them and that we are both teachers so felt it was a little lax for the care of toddlers. Others happily used it though and the benefit for the older kids was fantastic.

Unlike other reviewers I found the food great. We didn't go for the meal plan as we're happy to have cereal for brekky and I knew I'd over eat at dinner so one meal where I ate too much was enough for the day. We used the supermarket to purchase groceries and they had fresh bread, banana bread and muffins daily so we were right with that. There's also another supermarket at Muscat Cove if you can't find what you want at Ananda's. For dinner I mainly had the chefs three course meal (I'm not keen on buffets) and my partner had the buffet. We were both more than satisfied. Good food and lots of it. I'm sure I've put on a few kilos. The only meal I didn't enjoy was the last meal as the steak was tough and the dessert dry but I could eat my partner's so I was fine. The kids ate free as long as we ate. They ate lots of spaghetti bolognaise but that's the nature of toddlers so we made sure they had plenty of fresh fruit. The vegetables were a little too hard for them and other options were wedges and wedges and wedges. They survived! We ate once at Ananda's and weren't overly impressed. Oh, and the coffee hut was excellent and such a bonus. There's also another coffee hut at the neighbouring resort but the coffee was much better at Plantation. If you get a night off from the kids Muscat Cove has a bar right at the end overlooking water in a gorgeous setting with couches, etc. We explored during the day so didn't see it open.

We had a relaxing holiday escaping Melbourne winter so everything we wanted. The kids had lots of fun and our 3 year old didn't want to leave. I loved the fact everything was right on the beach and the water sparkling. Would we go back? Definitely but maybe when the kids are a little older (5 years) so we can also do the activities we enjoy. We are going to Fiji again in April but staying in Denarau so a comparison will be great.

It's a 3 star resort and if remembering that I felt everything (except maybe kids club) exceeded my expectations. Thanks for an amazing break.

Room Tip: If you have really small children the gardens terraces (260) were very close to amenities but not on...