This review is of course connected with Musketcove resort, as a partner to the reefhouse. It shows a part of our personal experience during our stay.
The owner is Grant Ingram from NZ and he is really dedicated to make you happy in his house, which is under maintenance of the Musketcove resort (like other villas to rent and to own) and of course you have to pay for your stay. The house is surrounded by two other houses and still in the flat area. The house itself offers the most needed accessories, we only missed a strong tin-opener and the pump for the bike tyres had the wrong size. There are some bicycles, which are definitely necessary to reach everything on the island. One service-guy took the needed bikes on his truck to his workshop and filled them up within a few minutes! sure in a salty surrounding the materials show some abrasions.
The drinking water is rain-water from a plastic-tank.
There have been some big mothes in the house when we arrived, maybe coming through some chinks. Not that problem. Vukei the housekeeper is nice.
The trader shop has some vegetables and fruits, but be aware of the zucchinis: 20,- per kilo! The rest is much cheaper. The beach is very tidal. There are some sports included with the white-card.
It is a location easy to reach from Nadi by the MaloloCat 50min-4times-daily, stopping first at plantation resort. As far as I have read, air pacific sun has cancelled now the routes with the smaller aircrafts.
The low season was good, not many people around and on the boat.
And I don’t want to hide our cons we had/saw:
· The reservation lady was unable to make a firm reservation within 14 days! between the resort, Mr.Ingram and me. Mrs. K. (I don’t write private names, if they don’t know it) from Sales Management helped out very professional. We also appreciated the offered compensation. Before that, I considered to go somewhere else! she had been having computerproblems, I was told later.
· Arriving at the wharf in denarau at MaloloCat-office, our names were missed for the confirmed FOB-transfer. The lady at the office was hard to convince. Understandable. I pleased her to call Musket, but at 07:00 am is nobody in his office. I offered to use my USB-stick with the data, but no PC there. Fortunately after 20min. she let us pass., Mrs. K. (one of the best staff) met us after arrival and provided a free breakfast to make amends, as well as for the next point.
· Arriving at musket, I asked for the safe deposit box I have been told from Mr.Ingram. The first answer was: we don’t have a safe, only a wooden cabinet. So it took another hour waiting for the manager Mr. J.. I had to explain, that the owner doesn’t wish to use his safe in the reefhouse and that there should be a safe at the reception! (the same is written on the safe in the reefhouse!). so after a while nevertheless, there existed a safe deposit box at the reception, which is in use for the reception! So we have been the first couple asking for that???
· The snorkelling-trips to the sandbank and The Black Rock are a good idea, but the corals are 90% dead and not plenty of fish. Not a fault of the resort.
· the marina is rather big, 2 Malolo-Cats and even tanker for the support of fuels approach.
· When you follow the smoke on the end of the airstrip to the left, you will see that they burn up many things. Well, like in so many other countries. Maybe there is soon a high fence around with signs “keep out – private property”.
· We had to leave early at 05:45am with the first boat. That was necessary to reach our next boat-transfer. So I got some promises from reception Mrs. L., that the porter will come in time to pick us up. I told them, please at 05:15!
so what do you think happened: no ,nothing! Fortunately there was an emergency number to call from the house. At 05:35 (10 minutes before departure!) somebody arrived. In the light i could see it was the manager himself...(obviously waking him up).
Sure you are shocked, when you need something in time. Especially at this “night”time and nobody around for help! Still waiting for an apology.
With the Musket compensations it was quite even at the end. But it nerved. Mr.Ingram is far away in NZ, depending on the staff provided.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Are you interested in a Fiji vacation where. There are more daylight hours than anywhere else on earth? You can hire a boat and visit many uninhabited islands. People dine out at restaurants in their bare feet? Every water sport and activity imaginable is all within a few minutes of your front door? And you'd like to do all this staying in accommodation that feels more like your own house than a hotel room or resort villa? ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Reef House Fiji/Malolo Lailai Island