“Stunning...”

Ratu Kini's Backpackers and Dive Resort
“Stunning...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

The backpackers is much the same as most backpackers really, dorms and some doubles and it's reasonably priced. There were no hot showers in our dorm room but it's so hot all the time you welcome it and it's refreshing. The dive resort is run by the people that live in the village around it and all of the staff and people are lovely, they're really friendly and want your stay to be the best it can. The atmosphere at night in the bar is always good, and something goes on every night.

I did a scuba course there and it was fantastic, Pete was my instructor, he was nice guy and easy to get on with and made it easy to enjoy the course and the diving for a beginner. The range of wildlife around mana island is fantastic too with some phenomenal dive sites. Its an incredible place and would highly recommend it to backpackers and holiday makers alike

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ian C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Hebrew first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

Contacted the resort directly and got a good deal including the transfers and meals. We were picked up in Nadi and taken to the boat after which it's a 45 min or so ride to the island. Found the beach front cottage perfect being just 5 meters from the beach and was tidy & clean.

The meals included weren't too bad, though a little on the small side personally. Ended up having to order more off the menu to fill up. Breakfast was a bit pathetic with few spreads etc to have on your toast. The restaurant was lively in the evenings with quite a few people from the resort next door coming over, and the guys on the guitars getting everyone clapping along.

It might just be the time of year but the wind certainly kicks up in the afternoon so we snuck over to the north side where it was sheltered. Bear in mind that in doing so you'll most likely be asked by one of the Mana Island resort staff if you're staying at the resort, so avoid going over in the morning when it looks unlikely that you'll be a guest from the resort coming over to the backpackers (for breakfast?) then coming back.

The village seemed to be closed off but we had a wander through and came across the local school principal who told us guests were most welcome. We came prepared with some pens and things for the local kids which were well appreciated.

The small hill to the east of the island can be accessed by going through the village to the north east side and the short climb is well worth it to see the reef and surrounding islands.

Be prepared to have the local dog population around most of the time, they're all complacent and happy to get a belly rub and lie on the beach next to the guests.

All in all a good experience with friendly staff and the right place to chill out with a book on the beach.

Room Tip: The private beach cottages with aircon and own bathrooms are well worth it. Didn't appear to be...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank beached_whale7
Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

We visit Mana every year and stay at the resort but always visit Ratu Kinis restaurant. This place reminds me of some old 50's scene - a wooden place right on the beach, customers are 60% young backpackers (from everywhere) and the others are escapees from the resort. Great atmosphere and good food at low prices (love the chicken curry). One night I think there were 13 different nationalities (mostly Europeans).

The food can be very very fresh. One night I went in the kitchen to see a freshly caught Marlin of over 90kg. Another night their fishing boat pulls up at the restaurant steps with another catch of very big fish.

A special thanks to the 2 operators of the dive shop attached to Ratu Kini's. Who had their regular table at the restaurant. A couple of nights we arrived late at the restaurant when it was already full and they kindly gave up their table so that we could use their table - thanks you guys.

Great and interesting place to eat - a ton of atmosphere and good friendly service.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank VICOZ1
Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

I have just arrived home after staying @ Ratu Kini Dive Resort for 1 month. Many thanks to Tupou Loka the Manager, Shirley, Pete and Oliver the dive instructors, and the rest of the wonderful happy staff - Patrick who does the Fire Dancing is wonderful. We had THE most wonderful time together. I would heartily recommend this Resort to anyone - it was my 7th time staying there - this says it all - I WILL BE BACK!! Next year I intend to stay for 2 months.

Room Tip: All the different accommodations are superb for value. I always stay in the large Dormitory right by...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank judy071
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

We were staying at Mana Resort and ventured here twice for lunch. Yes it is a bit cheaper than the resort, but service was very rude and quite slow. The slowness was nothing new in Fiji, but when we arrived both times we were asked if we could order something easy to cook. The 1st time we did, in just getting a salad, sandwiches and burgers. They were all ok, but definitely to to the same standard as the food at the resort.

On our 2nd visit I took a gamble and ordered the mud crab. This was pretty good, although on the small side it was still a tasty curry flavour. So maybe if the kitchen didn't persist in telling us to order items easy to make we may have had a better experience.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank szkut
Cashmere
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

Spent four days here during a typhoon. Weather wasn't great but had a great time. The staff here is so fun. They had activities to keep us busy on the rainy days. Wasn't able to dive so don't know how their dive program was. But great people made the stay wonderful. Love fiji.

• Stayed February 2014
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

I Loved everything and enjoyed every bit of my stay at the Ratu Kini Backpackers and Dive Resort. I had previously also stayed at the Resort but enjoyed this holiday much better as more laid back and you get to experience the Fijian village lifestyle and the visit to the school was awesome too including the sports competition with the resort guests-kids.
I felt very welcomed straight away on arrival by the Ratu Kini family and was spoilt and very well cared for by all Staff during my week long stay.
Best Staff-super friendly and easy to get along with, most polite, courteous, honest, funny & willing to cater to all requests e.g room service. The brilliant Staff makes this place extra special!!
I arrived alone but left with a new family. Travelling alone, I found the island very safe, never felt lonely but more like I was with my family at all times.
My room-cottage 1-excellent!-clean, most comfortable, best location-on the beach.
Food-best!-Chefs made me mudcrab curry, lobster mornay & fresh fish curry that was caught by Staff hours earlier. Bar Staff very friendly and make good cocktails too.
Activities-fun! and you can choose to do as much or little as you like. Thoroughly enjoyed trip to Monoriki with Staff...awesome!! Dive shop Staff also very nice and I might try diving next trip.
Beauty Salon-tried everything and would recommend everything on the board.
The Villagers were very welcoming too and friendly and I enjoyed my time with them.
There was absolutely nothing I can fault about my holiday- only that I had to leave the island. From booking online to my trip back to Nadi on the cruiser and transfer back to my hotel-the whole process was smooth and flawless and was personally looked after by the Director himself so I cant ask for more when it came to level of service...100%!!
I would recommend highly & will come back to stay again in few weeks.
Vinaka
Prue Howe (Fiji/Sydney)

Room Tip: Cottage 1 - on beach and very clean, comfortable, close to everything. swinging chair great to laze...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Matamanoa Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Matamanoa Island
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,024 reviews
Sheraton Resort & Spa, Tokoriki Island
Sheraton Resort & Spa, Tokoriki ...
#2 of 2 in Tokoriki Island
Castaway Island Fiji
Castaway Island Fiji
#1 of 1 in Castaway Island (Qalito)

Been to Ratu Kini's Backpackers and Dive Resort? Share your experiences!