“6 Stars!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Mana Island
Moorooduc, Australia
“6 Stars!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

My husband and I have just returned home from Tadrai. It was all that we expected and more.....We needed a totally relaxing holiday and that is exactly what we got!
From the moment you arrive - you are made to feel so welcome and special.Nothing is too much trouble for the Tadrai staff - for example - I had forgotten my sunglasses - no problem - Tim, the manager just had a selection of sunglasses brought over from Nadi!

Meal times ; forget set meal times...you can sleep in and have breakfast brought to you ...we ordered breakfast as late as 11am some days...and some days we were still in our room at lunchtime..again, no problem - lunch brought to the room!

Housekeeping ; Because the resort is so small (5 couples maximum) and there are so many staff (24) - housekeeping know when you are not in your room - this is when they come to service the room - so they never disturb you....AND they come back when you are at dinner and service the room again....not just a turn down service...towels replaced, dishes cleared, room glasses cleaned etc.

Activities : Well whatever you want to do - they will arrange....one day we were taken by boat to Sunset Beach for a swim and Moet on the beach.Another day we went snorkelling near the sand bar.The activities staff manning the boat stay constantly on guard.I was running out of steam whilst snorkelling and the boys could see - and they pulled the boat right up to me and hauled me back in!

Food ; There is a menu selection each day which we were more than happy with and we always chose from the menu...but you can order special meals if you want to and it's no problem.

Spa Treatments ; We had beautiful massage treatments and I had a fantastic facial one day.The beauty of this small resort is that some of the staff are multi-skilled - that way they are always on hand.....for example one of the waiting staff is also a trained massage therapist and one of the housekeeping staff is also a trained beautician and massage therapist.

I would especially like to thank the Resort Manager, Tim, for his professional and friendly attention and the Food and Beverage Manager, Sian, for always being on hand with a beautiful smile and a bottle of Moet !
The Fijian staff were all fantastic too but there are too many to name...
We need this kind of holiday at least once a year and we will definitely be back!

Room Tip: All rooms are good!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank KillarneyFarm
Timothy B, Manager at Tadrai Island Resort, responded to this review, 3 May 2012
Bula and vinaka for your review on your recent stay with us. It's great to hear your praise for our truly fantastic dedicated team. We cant wait to see you both back at Tadrai Island Resort in the future, and we look forward to welcoming you back with a big bula welcome. We will be the one waiting for you, with a bottle of your fav Moet and Chandon in hand!. Vinaka from all the team at Tadrai Island Resort.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Korean first
many
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

I will be as honest as I can be. That is the way I live. I have read some of the posts about people that I got to know well and about travelers that have had a hard time at Tadrai.

We found this resort because Bedarra was wiped off the map by hurricane Yasi. We were very pleased. At AU$1200 per night compared to Bedarra at AU$2500 per night, it was a bargain.

In light of that, one must not expect that they are at a $2500 per night resort.

Now, my experince at tadrai.

Tim and Sian will do anything to help you, feed you, adapt the kitchen for your diet, you can ask for a bowl of chips in the afternoon. no problem.

The fresh food from the sea was awesome. I went out with Seru and fished for fresh crab, slipper lobsters (bugs) and fish. The kitchen made us a ceviche of the fish we caught the night before.

Does the tide go out, absolutey, but time your snorkeling aroung the tides. If you go to the sand bank and can't go out, "really", you can follow the channel that the boat goes thru. No reef shoes needed. I must add that I had staff that said they would carry me over the shallow reef.

The rum and soda, They did not know how to make that??? That was my drink before I went out in the water, and the butler/barman did it very well. Exactly as I wanted!

When we went to the sand bank, the boat driver stayed in that cut, and waited for us. He watched us the whole time.

My only complaint would be that they should get 750's of Moet, but the aussie sparkling was a good replacment.

I think Tadrai could benifit from a snack table in the main room, but you do get canapes during the bar hour. It is a very social place.

We asked for new towels and got them! Ask!

The massages, which my wife had everyday ,and she is a veteran of massages, were fantastic, I went snorkeling during that time, and scored 25 sharks plus ...you are on a island where the waitstaff, front desk and maids do double duty. Thats what they have to do, that is what they are hired to do.

The villa on the hill, fantastic, they provide torches, and if you want to be really private, that is the one for you, and the one for us next time.

If you are traumatised by a backpacker walking by your villa (2 per day) , and that makes it "non" exclusive, go somewhere else. Great resort! Can not please everybody all the time!!

John & Tami, South Dakota

Room Tip: We would like room 5 on the hill, most want the beach, but room 5 is much more private.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank rcrooter
Bula! Vinaka for your wonderful guest comments on your holiday with us. We are delighted you had a great stay and looking forward to your return. I am glad you enjoyed the massage treatments, freshly caught seafood and the snorkeling. All the staff still talks about your snorkeling adventures you had with our activity staff member Seru, you will not be forgotten by our staff that’s for sure. Again thank you for your feedback and we look forward to seeing you here at Tadrai soon.

Kind Regards

Perth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

My Girlfriend and i recently stayed at Tadrai for some much needed rest and relaxation. When we first arrived not only is the resort stunning but you feel appreciated and welcomed by the friendly staff and management. I was personally impressed that the general manager took the effort to greet us and welcome us the the resort.

As far as the food goes, to be honest i can't agree less with the below reviews. I do find it disappointing when people seem to write infactual reviews which almost come across as bitter. Every meal/snack that i had was delightful and a pleasure to eat. The service was excellent and no matter how big or small the request it was always carried out with a smile.

I am very well travelled and have been fortunate enough to see some trully beautiful places - i would certainly put this up there with the best. And i'm sorry but these days everybody charges handling fees on credit cards and your in a 5 star resort so i can't see the confusion with paying for something like candles??? Maybe $20 is a little steep but at the end of the day you expect hotels to charge a mark up, especially 5 Star hotels - if you can't afford it then maybe try sticking to 3 start resorts.

If you would like my advice i would ignore the invitation below to email the unhappy reviewers as in my experience you'll only get a bias stream of information which maybe in some part has some merit but generally on the whole is never as bad was what it is made out to be. Anyone that has the time to answer strangers emails in my humble opinion has far to much time on their hands.

Like anything in life - go and see for yourself and go and form your own opinion but i can honestly say my experience was truly amazing and i'll definitely be back.

2 Thank Mike210881
Bula
A big vinaka to you for your amazing detailed review on your stay with us. On behalf of the team it was a great pleasure to have you stay with us. If you are thinking of a return trip do let us know and we will have the bottle of Moet waiting for you as soon as you arrive. Thank you for letting future Tadrai guests know off your experience here. Vinaka

Toowoomba
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

I am sitting here having a coffee on my last day here at Tadari island resort. It is a fresh new resort, only nine months old, built in a modern style yet embodies the nice features of Fijian artichiture with all the mod cons. The villas themselves are roomy well laid out and about 8 meters from the ocean. I particularly liked the enclosed but outdoor showers and connecting plunge pool and drifting to sleep to the sounds of the waves just meters away. The pool in the main complex is an infinity design enabling us to swim while watching passing boats. The highlight of the dining room was meeting Priya. A young chef with loads of talent, she has a wonderful flair for finishing dishes with perfectly balanced flavors. A real asset to the kitchen team. Only five tables in the restaurant for a max of ten people in the open planned dining area allowing the gentle sea breeze to cool the evening to a comfortable temperature. The food was excellent a good choice at each meal and great variety throughout the week. What I particularly liked if you found something you really enjoyed staff were happy to cook it again for you at anytime in lieu of the ordinary menu. We chose to do this a number of times while dining. Restaurant staff and bar staff were great. No delays and wonderful personalities. This is not an action man resort. No jet ski no party music but if your wish is to have a quiet and quality holiday with great food, wine and service surrounded by the wonderful Fijian staff, who make a Fijian holiday different to anywhere else. I did read yesterday a complaint concerning safety rails at the resort. I am 67 years old, overweight and have suffered from lupus for 30 years and I had no problems anywhere. All in all a great place to relax and unwind in fresh and quality surroundings. Just go you will love it.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Sydney
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

My husband and I had stayed at Tadrai for our first wedding anniversary on what was meant to be a memorable holiday trip but turned out to be one of the most horrible experiences we have ever encountered. The entire resort from the management staff, the activities all were a complete let down and the biggest let down of them all was the food. The resort is a complete misrepresentation from what you see online to what you experience when you arrive. I actually became that physically ill with a stomach virus that I became bed ridden & ended up at the doctor back on the mainland. By that evening I nearly ended up in the hospital as I have never felt that ill in my life and it completely ruined our holiday not to mention it took me nearly 2 weeks to fully recover back home.

By far the food is the worst we have ever had in our life. When you are charging such a high rate per night, the guests should not have to be aware of “Fiji time” or stock issues. Even some of the most basic items which you advise are included were never available. Even to the point we ran out of eggs and bacon at one point and eggs had to be rationed – hilarious! The quality of food was extremely poor and there was absolutely no presentation or attention to detail when it came to plating food. For breakfast eggs were literally slapped on a plate with nothing else and no garnish. We understood and were told that we could eat at any time but found out early on this was not the case and particularly my husband was left feeling hungry after each meal and in between as we did not order anything further due to the food being off-putting and also the length time it took to prepare and deliver the meals. Standard time would be at least one hour minimum.

The guest information sheet is a waste of time that they never pay attention to. I advised I was allergic to chilli and pepper and reminded them before each meal only to be served pepper in my meal. I had requested multiple times for chocolate which they promised would be arranged but they ended up giving me cooking chocolate thinking I wouldn’t know better. One of the desserts was a bread and butter pudding which is in the photos we took, it came stone cold and you could literally tip it upside down without it falling out – very appetising! One of the worst was I asked for Beef Carpaccio as I had seen a sample menu on the website, what was delivered was a plate of snap frozen meat on a plate – revolting and no wonder I became so violently ill. As for the wine, yes they have moet (which also ran out at one point) but the wine also supplied was extremely cheap and not what you would expect form a 5 star resort when you are paying top dollar. The wine in our room was Hardy’s and I know for a fact that it’s worth under $10 a bottle.

The resort is on the same island as Mana Island Resort and a backpackers all of which have access to walk past Tadrai and your villa so it is definitely not exclusive. You do not get given fresh towels, you had to complain for them to bring you them and the sheets were never changed whilst we were there. It can take a whole day for them to clear away used plates and glasses as well from your villa. The pool on the deck gets no sun at all so even on a warm day it is very cold. The amenities are so budget that there are no shower caps, sewing kits etc. you just get shampoo, conditioner and soap. The hairdryer was cheap and useless and for long hair I gave up trying to dry my hair whilst I was there.

Activities are a complete afterthought and inconvenience to them. Most days we had to wait over 2 hours after the allocated time to get out on the boat and on the day of our wedding anniversary (of which no one in the resort even acknowledged) we could see rain coming but they insisted it would pass and took us out anyway to the sand bank and advised they had a marquee tent worst case. We got dumped on the sand bank and within minutes the rain came and our “marquee tent” which we had to erect ourselves was a dirty and filthy old one person tent that was revolting. We managed to flag the boat down to escape but that was our “special island picnic”. The picnic itself should be avoided at all costs, we got a piece of dry chicken in between two pieces of bread, stale cheese and crackers on a plate and an unedible cookie in a tupperware container. We have attached some photos so you can see for yourself the “5 start luxury picnic” you pay for (sarcasm intended). We also wanted to snorkel and had requested to be taken to the best place for one last decent experience – instead we were dumped on the sandback at extremely low tide and were told to walk out to the reef break and before we knew it the boat was gone. We desperately tried to manoeuvre the 100m but once again instead of a nice memory we ended up with huge cuts all over our feet and even a lost toenail. Off the beach isn’t any better and you really need reef shoes to be able to go anywhere.

The resort manager (Tim) and his girlfriend (Sian) who is the food & beverage manager knew of our concerns multiple times whilst we were there but they just don’t seem to have the level of experience that a resort of this nature requires. Even on the last day Tim had advised the owner was aware of all of the issues but clearly seeing the last two reviews nothing has been done at all. My husband wanted to light some candles around the bath for our anniversary and Sian wanted to charge us $20 for 10 tealight candles which we were horrified at. Tim did arrange for a couples massage because of the extremely bad experience we had but even that was comical - your luxury spa service is done by the housekeeper and one of the wait staff.

The reason for my delay in writing this review is I actually tried to contact the owners directly with my feedback which they responded to and offered us to return as their guests. Given we had paid AUD$1200 a night and stayed 5 nights for a completely ruined holiday we requested a refund on our accommodation given it was a completely false representation and nightmare experience. Aaron (one of the part owners) declined our refund but again said we could visit as their guests. The bottom line is that we were that traumatised by the experience that we wouldn’t want to step foot back on that island and know that the same management team, chefs and staff are all there so nothing will change. Very disheartening that the owners want to rip people off but are spending a fortune on publicity and PR trying to get “quick wins” with celebrity’s, TV shows and magazines but they of course get a completely different experience.

It also came to our attention that a large number of the staff came from Sonaisali Resort which has also had some absolutely terrible reviews and had I known they were affiliated we would never have booked. At the end of the day if you have money to burn and you want to sit by the pool and don’t care then go visit for yourself. However if you truly want a memorable holiday and want to stay somewhere exclusive then I would recommend you stay anywhere but here.

Happy for anyone that has any questions that would like to message me direct but we are writing this in detail as we would hate for anyone to have the experience we had.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
30 Thank Ali-HarryT
Bula Vinaka and thankyou for your comments. Tadrai is renowned as an adults only resort and perfect for honeymoons and relaxing getaways. This feedback is definitely not what we are about. Since your departure we have only had happy guests and it is fair to say that we did have a few issues during your stay which I would like to address them here.

You did say you got ill from the food, however the food we served that week, all the guests in house during that period were served and didn’t impact anyone else. When people travel overseas they become very prone to stomach bugs, but I can assure you this is not from our food. However this would have been very exasperating to become ill on your holiday and I can recognize you’re frustration.

Our standard is that if guests would like to inform us of anything they would like to dinner, too inform us at breakfasts. When you requested meals not on the menu, you requested at 1745 which clearly did not give us enough time to prepare a 5 course meal off the menu for a 6 o’clock dinner service. Our chef did try his best to accommodate. I do apologies for this as we should not have attempted but our enthusiastic chefs always try to please.

The amenities we provide are the deluxe range of pure Fiji products all from the Coconut Milk and Honey range. These product s are all presented in large 265ml bottles with Coconut Milk and Honey Shampoo, Conditioner, bath soak, shower gel and body lotion as well as a number of Coconut Milk and Honey hand soaps. Pure Fiji is simply the best product available in Fiji and is definitely not considereda poor standard. Guests who visit Fiji often spend hundreds of dollars on buying this local product to take home. We are very proud of our top of the line amenities range and are puzzled on why you would refer to them as “cheap”.

On your wedding anniversary we set up an astonishing 4 course meal with a whole lobster cooked to your liking and we had our staff serve you in a stunning and gorgeous setting of Selina Cove Beach while the waves lapped just meters from your feet. This idealistic setting is what Tadrai Island Resort is all about and we ensured you had a memorable experience during this meal. All the resort staff were aware of your 1st anniversary and this is why we ensured such a romantic setting was erected.I understand you got sick the following day which could have altered your perception of this beautiful setting.

I recognize when you were not feeling well, to then cut your foot on the coral must have been maddening, I am very glad our fully trained senior first aid staff member attend you to as soon as you made mention you had cut your foot where she assisted and offered Germolene Ointment (a smoothing antiseptic cream) as well as band aids and Bêtedine.

Both our in house spa therapist has been trained at the Pacific School of Beauty and are both experts in their field. It is true that they assist other department when not operating in the spa. Been a very small resort all staff need to multi task and be flexible with their duties. I trust you enjoyed the complimentary massages we offered you.

Thank you for contacting us and we do hope that your next trip to Fiji will be more successful with no cuts or stomach bugs.

Vinaka
sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

My wife and I recently visited Tadrai Island Resort and were very disappointed.
We can only agree with everything Sandra W, said in her review.
The information and photo's on there internet site give a false impression of a perfect resort.
This place has potential, but while we were there, it was far from perfect.

No sign of Head Chef, Chad Arther. Mostly poor quality food served cold on most occasions, food service was very slow, we never saw the so called Butler.

We were also left on a sandbank without a boat or communication. the boat they used for transportation had only 1 motor, no shade cover and no sign of any safety equipment.

Room was clean, but we had to ask for everything, i.e. clean towels, shampoo etc.

At the moment this resort is not suitable for anybody with a slight disability.

This resort needs to have the staff trained to a 5 star level and have all potential safety hazards removed.

They also charge a 4 % charge , if you use a credit card there.

With the service we received they would be lucky to get a 4 star rating.

14 Thank dennis w
Timothy B, Manager at Tadrai Island Resort, responded to this review, 26 April 2012
Bula Dennis
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We would like to take this opportunity to provide you with a response to the points you have noted about Tadrai Island Resort. Firstly, I can assure you our kitchen team is extremely committed to producing the best cuisine in the region. We use local fresh products and our head chef has worked in leading restaurants and resorts in Fiji for 25 years. You stayed with us during an extremely busy period however as we are such a small resort we only catered for 10 people at once, we apologies for the small delays in food.
We encourage our staff to take time with Guests and be themselves so that Guests experience genuine hospitality and Fijian culture, however the opportunity we give our guests is to experience the beautiful surroundings of the sandbank is something many guests enjoy on their own with their partner. The boat is always close by and please rest assured that all staff carry either a hand held radio or mobile phones at all times giving them instant communication if required.
Our brand new “long boat” offers guests a quick and easy way to travel around the nearby island and also allows us to access beaches many other boats will not be able to access. All boats that are used in resorts and any commercial operation within Fiji undergo strict surveys and maintenance checks from FIMSA, the Fijian Marine Safety Association. They have passed this boat as having all required health and safety requirements on board and is in safe working order. Furthermore the boat itself is only a few months old and is in great condition. In regards tp the “potential safety hazards”, as a brand new 5 star resort we have successfully passed all health and safety requirement set from the Hotel Association and health department.

Our goal is to achieve a memorable experience for each and every one of our Guests and apologies that you feel this wasn’t the result on this occasion. We do hope you enjoyed Tadrai’s amazing elevated horizon-edged central lodge pool and private villa plunge pools and decks –which capture the magnificent ocean vistas synonymous with our part of the world.

Vinaka

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

We have just returned from 9 nights in heaven, we chose Tadrai because it looked and sounded wonderful and were delighted to find it was even better than we had anticipated.

Met from the helicopter by Tim the hotel manager and the hotel team singing our welcome we were made to feel immediately that this was our retreat for our stay. The resort is just beautiful, the bungalows are state of the art, I have never stayed in a in a resort where you can chose your own menu for lunch and dinner, and loving seafood I had lots including a lobster which was probably the best I have even eaten.

We were married there half way through our stay and it was all planned by the resort perfectly, down to the flowers, choir, flower girls and four wonderful warriors.

Choose what you want to do daily, take out a boat, scuba dive, laze by the pool with cocktails, walk along the beach collecting shells, Tim and Sian will organise whatever you want to do, they are never overwhelming but always there when needed.

Staff are spectacular and as friendly as I have ever come across, big smiles which come from the heart, my comment was that is was like a private house party but with better staff.....

I could go on but whatever I say could never do it justice. We have both traveled extensively, to the Caribbean, Europe, Asia, Middle East etc etc., but we both agreed it was our favourite holiday yet.

Thanks again Tim and Sian.

Andi Hanson Hall

Room Tip: Depends if you want to be secluded or near the restaurant and pool, villa 1 is nearest the restauran...
8 Thank Andi H
Timothy B, Manager at Tadrai Island Resort, responded to this review, 24 April 2012
Bula and Vinaka Andi for your sincere and kind words about your wedding with us here at Tadrai Island Resort. Our team are so happy for your words of appreciation. On behalf of the Tadrai Island Resort team we wish you a long and happy life together. All the staff and management here all loved been involved with your wedding at Tadrai Island Resort and loved every minute of having you as part of our family. Please keep in touch on the Tadrai Facebook page and we look forward to seeing you again.

Vinaka from all the team at Tadrai Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Matamanoa Island
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,004 reviews
Castaway Island Fiji
Castaway Island Fiji
#1 of 1 in Castaway Island (Qalito)

Been to Tadrai Island Resort? Share your experiences!