“Horrible experience!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Mana Lagoon Backpackers
Stuttgart, Germany
“Horrible experience!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

The worst place we've stayed at! Food is very repetetive - in a one week stay we had one dish for 4 times! Apart from that it's always to little serves.
Our shower filled up with dirty water when someone had a shower in the rooms next to us! Ants colonies in the toilet! We had huge cockroaches and, even worse, rats in our room! After they gave us a mousetrap, we caught 4 rats in one night!!!
The backpackers is in the centre of a village which means that there is always (day and night) a lot of noise around!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank Dom J

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Ghent, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

I visited Mana Lagoon backpackers after some months of working in Australia. This was the perfect place to relax and to have the feeling that you are really far away from "normal life". The welcoming is amazing, the manager is extremely friendly and all the staff are working hard to make your stay as pleasant as possible. As I am not the kind of guy that is sunbathing the whole day I was first a bit worried that I was going to be bored in this place, but actually there is a lot to do and to see! They offer daily trips to surrounding islands so there is no reason to be bored for one second.

The hostel also has a "Dive shop" and a diving instructor who can take you out for some diving almost every day. However, I have to say that the equipment is basic and the dives are not always according to all safety standards. I would not recommend it for a beginner, but if you have some experience, buddy up with someone you trust and stick to your own safety rules there is no reason why not to go diving here. There is a lot of wildlife to spot, we saw sharks, manta rays, coral and so much more.

The rooms of he hostel are located in a very small local village. This gives an amazing atmosphere. We were given the opportunity to attend the graduation ceremony of the local primary school and I really felt special that I was invited on this event.

So if you are looking for a real Fiji experience, this is the place to be! Don't expect any luxury, but get yourself ready for an amazing cultural experience in a fabulous setting!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

it was a refreshing visit.the owner is well versed with most of stuff hapoenning around the island.good point if contact.had lunch in authentic indisn.best indian
food in mana island.we didnt mund the walk there as you pass the village and thry have cool handicraft

Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Ashil S
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

This is the first island I been to in fiji island hopping.

I dont really like the facility there, later on I find out is isnt their fault, it was my booking agents fault, my agent misleaded my many things.

But I really like here, because even the facility can't compare with another packpackers in the island but
- Lagoon price only half of the other one
- manager Jiten really try his best to make sure everyone has a comfortable trip here. He even use his own mobile call my boat people to asking them come on time. Well, Fiji time you know, they still 2 hours late to pick me up
- the food is good. I like their dinner
- this is the only backpacker has locals inside their resort. They are so friendly and trying to talk to you. If you give some candy or cookie to the kids they will be very happy.

Downside:
- they only have electricity from 6pm to 6am (most of Fiji island backpackers has electricity restrictions. You need ask your hostel their operating hours. Brcause they use fuel to generating electricity)
- no hot water for shower ( most of fiji island backpackers dont have hot water, unless you stay at 4+ star hotel)
- very basic room and facilities. However you stay at backpackers not 4/5 star hotel and you only pay half as other place so I think I got pretty good deal

I paid FJD150/room/night with toilet inside of my room. Price including 2 people's 3 meals a day. This is the price I booked through agent. I highly recommend eveyone book with hostel directly. Even they can't give u cheaper than others, it can make sure 100% of monry goes to their tribe so the local peoples' living standard can improve in somehow. They are seriously poor, I was complainting about only have electricity during the night, but very soon I become quiet after I saw locals just using oil light at evening, and they sleep outside their house so can get some cool ocean breeze.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Crystal Z
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

Just got back from my trip backpacking around the world ! The stop in Fiji included a stay at the hostile on this amazing island . 3 days was not enough included diving , hiking , touring , learning and fun . This was one of the best places I have stayed on my world travels!

• Stayed April 2014
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

Mana Lagoon Backpackers welcomed us for 7 fun filled days! cant beat the hospitality This is a happy culture ! The rooms were comfortable and the food was buffet style we all ate together on picnic tables it was a good way to meet the other people staying there !we played fun drinking games at night and did the local Bula dance ! Drank Cava the Fijian root drink that numbs your tounge and makes you dizzy ! Lots of figian culture to learn ! Great Value for the price ! I well return one day

inutes

• Stayed March 2014
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

Wow we I couldn't believe r luck when we found this little slice of heaven! Perfectly situated on the white sandw beach. The only distraction was how beautiful the surroundings were. The staff were helpful and discrete. One day we wanted To go fishing and they knew just where to send us! Beers cold foods good enjoy!

• Stayed March 2014
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,011 reviews
Ratu Kini's Backpackers and Dive Resort
Castaway Island Fiji
Castaway Island Fiji
#1 of 1 in Castaway Island (Qalito)
Likuliku Lagoon Resort
Likuliku Lagoon Resort
#1 of 3 in Malolo Island

Been to Mana Lagoon Backpackers? Share your experiences!