“Fantastic Time!”
Review of Mana Island Resort

Mana Island Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Mana Island
Reviewed 11 May 2012

I recently stayed at Mana Island resort with my husband, three young kids, and my sister and her family. We shared a garden bure and had an idyllic experience. Everything was clean, smelled lovely, and was decorated with a pretty flower.

The staff was friendly and helpful in each department. We ate mostly at the buffet, where the food was good and we were able to find food for a range of diets and levels of pickiness of our kids. The waitstaff was welcoming and patient with the kids.

We had two disappointments on this holiday. First, our flight arrived from North America after the last boat had sailed for Mana, but we had no way of making arrangements. When we realized this at the Nadi airport, we were mobbed by all sorts of people looking to take advantage of the situation and sell us transportation at an inflated cost. We also realized that our flight home at the end of the week was before the first boat back to the main island, so we ended up leaving the resort a day early to stay closer to the airport. We wish we had known about the limited transit options when we booked our flights/hotel nights: we ended up paying for and losing two paid nights at Mana!!!

The second disappointment was that many of the resort-organized activities (volleyball games, jet skis) just got canceled without notice. It was annoying.

Luckily we made our own fun by exploring the island, swimming, snorkeling, kayaking, and enjoying each other's company.

Room Tip: Make sure you confirm airport transfers!
4  Thank Jenny911

Reviewed 10 May 2012

I read the reviews below before starting this one and taken in total I would have to say that they pretty much sum it up. The food was OK, the grounds were a little rough, and the hotel was a "European 5 star" (those of you who have stayed in Europe know what I mean.)

However, that is why I loved the place so much. We had also just come from the Raddison at Denarau and my impression of that was ... FAKE. It was such a contrast to the rest of the main island that it looked horribly plastic. I'm sure that it is what most people look for in a resort but I spent most of my time in nearby Nadi or on the other side of the Island cruising up the Nakavua river to Numuamua villiage. Basically you could say, I hated the Raddison for the same reason that I most people go to resorts. I would hate to think that people can say that they stayed in Fiji without ever having left that resort.

At any rate, if nothing else, just being around the people in Mana was enough to make this the best place on Earth. By the end of our stay, everyone on the island greeted us by first name. We were also given special tours by the people of the villiage (of course that means you have to go talk to them) and BTW ... a long neck beer at the backpackers resort (750ml) is only 7 Fiji and 6 Fiji at happy hour (just thought I'd throw that in :). And yes, the service is always on "Fiji Time" but your on vacation so what's the hurry anyway!!!

So in short, the place was beautiful the people were fantastic and I was so sad to have to leave. So there is my two cents Fiji about Mana (about 1 cent in US dollars). I think that carefully reading the reviews and compairing it to the experience you hope to have will lead you to the right decision on whether or not to land on Mana. You will know if you are the right person to go there. I will definately return to this Island.

Room Tip: Did not use the fitness center. Get money before you go to the island if you think you need it beca...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
10  Thank Ron C
Reviewed 7 May 2012

Its not the resort that gets the five star reveiws, its actually the location, natural beauty of the island/reef and most (not all) of its lovely staff. The resort and its facilities are a hard 3 stars. Island Bures are Budget Acc and it is Hit or miss if you get one in good working order - we had a lemon. No sea breeze were these bures are lo9cated either-If you can afford it upgrade to any of the other rooms and your hoilday will improve 100%. Its clear the Japanese owner isnt spending any real money on this place, the main Rest/Bar and pool areas are in need of a serious make over. Lots of familys with young kids stay here so you would think they would at least put up shade sails over the pool and add some bar snacks to the menu at the pool bar.We didnt really do the buffet thing as its honestly over priced and what you get is boring - we did do the breakfast but thats only because you have no choice unless you want to walk up to the backpackers every morning. Tip- visit the supermarket at the wharf before you ferry over and stock up on snacks/ water because the only shop here has bugger all . Dinner we had at the south beach rest - food was okay I was hoping for more "island themed dishes" but nope all the seafood dishes are basically NZ everything, They could have had game fish on the menu or even sushi its owned by Japanese after all. Tip- book early each day for this place or you could miss out, if you are travelling with young infants book for 6pm - they run on island time so you can expect your meal about 7.30pm, i noted alot of unhappy customers that had booked tables for say 8pm still waiting at 9pm to be seated.. Water activities are hit and miss too sometimes they dont opperate the jet skis or sailing boats depends on who you get at the water sports hut i think as they seem to have different excuses every time !! the snorkeling is awesome and free. But if this is your main reason for staying at Mana then i probably wouldnt as the snorkeling would be equally as good at the other near by island resorts. The Mana spa is first class and a big thumbs up from us infact it was the stand out of my stay here and you can buy the Pure fiji products they use at duty free :) Overall our stay was just average, probably wouldnt return here again - would spend abit more money on staying at one of the other island resorts next time - because at the end of the day what you think you save on the "cheaper acc" here you end up spending on the bland Food anyway.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank 866
Reviewed 6 May 2012

After extensively reading reviews on tripadvisor.com, I came to this resort not expecting a 4-5 star experience and I was right in thinking this. My basis for travelling here was basically most beautiful beaches/snorkelling/island experience (compared to ugly beach at Denarau) for the cheapest. I was not going to pay $400 +/night for a bure, as I am a budget traveler. This island is perfect if you have this mentality. I got a 50% off deal for an ocean-view room on Expedia.com and thus paid only $650 or so for a 5 night stay = BARGAIN!!! But, there are some negatives to our experience, which is why I cannot give this hotel 4 stars.

NEGATIVES:
* The grounds - I must admit after spending time at the Radisson resort (on the mainland) and visiting Castaway Island resort, the Mana resort grounds are not as manicured or beautiful or the facilities not as new. For example, there is broken cement slabs on the North Beach, exposed pipes here and there on the beaches, and dirt patches everywhere around the grounds instead where grass would make it look nicer. The edge of the infinity pool facing the beach is exposed cement, when I think it should be tiled to make it look nicer.

* Room -
the room (ocean-view room) was half new and half old... it was a little weird. You'd think they would completely renovate the rooms, instead of doing a half-done job. The cupboards looked like they were from the 70's.
The shower was old, with grime stains on the tiles and ceiling in the bathroom.
The new head board behind the bed was coming away from the wall (which I noticed every time I tried pulling out my battery charger from the powerboard).
On 2 days out of our 5 we were not given new bath towels or hand towels and had to go and get some from the linen bure (= not happy). We never got new beach towels, and had to also exchange these at the linen bure ourselves.
The curtains are a nightmare to open; you can't open them by simply pulling the curtain bit, you have to actually pull the rings at the top, one at a time, to open, and when I did this, twice I cut myself on the exposed hooks holding the rings to the curtain rod. (=not happy).
The air-conditioner leaked the whole time we were there, so that there was a puddle in front of the bathroom all the time, which is quite dangerous actually.
The pillows we had were like sleeping on cardboard, and after 3 days my partner had a constant sore neck every day from sleeping on them.

* Drinks - the drinks (Coke, Fiji water and cocktails) were more expensive then they were in the 5-star Castaway Island resort! Only like $1-2 more, but still, you would expect cheaper drinks in a resort that is not as many stars.

* Activities - there are activities listed on a board, and we saw 2 things that we wanted to do, the mini-coconut day (which involved coconut hunting, husking and ice-cream making) on one day and coconut-tasting on another day. So, we turn up at the bure at the specified time, to find that the coconut-tasting did not happen at all, even with little kids asking specifically for the guys to do it. We waited for 1 hour (!!) for it to happen, and finally just gave up and walked away. As for the mini-coconut day, there was no coconut hunting as it stated. We thought we would get to see them climb a tree but we were disappointed.

* The food - The food at the buffet was good. Not great, not bad, just good. We tried breakfast, lunch and dinner buffets and felt the same for all of them. For the $65FJD price, I do not think the dinner buffet is worth it. A rip-off in my opinion. Compared to the Radisson breakfast, the Mana breakfast is a joke really, and is the same price! The South Beach restaurant is more worth it at around $30FJD for a meal, the food is good and the atmosphere more romantic. I would ask reception for menus for the buffet and only choose a few that you really like the sounds of, and then just book South Beach restaurant for the other nights. However, one negative to South Beach was when we ordered room service. It took 30 minutes to arrive, which we didn't mind as much BUT the chips were old, cold and inedible and the pizza was sticking to the alfoil they rapped it in, we had to pick the toppings off of it! So not happy that night. Also, after having lunch on Castaway Island resort for a day trip, however, we realised that the food on Mana was not nearly as good.

POSITIVES:
* The greeting me and my partner had by the singing band and Sami showing as around the resort was fantastic, great introduction to the island! Free welcome drink as well.
* The view from the ocean-view room was definitely worth the room negatives. Beautiful view!!!
* The snorkeling was fantastic (at North Beach) but do not try at low tide as you'll be standing on coral and possibly slip and fall and get coral cuts (as I did!).
* The sunsets are amazing and the North Beach lookout is beautiful to visit for sunset and view of the island as a whole.
* The infinity pool is beautiful, with lots of lounge chairs around it and very romantic at sunset/duck
* North Beach is beautiful, just what I wanted in an island beach, with lots of lounge chairs along its edge. The water was so warm!
* Go and visit Soko at the beach bure for your snorkeling set, she is lovely and always smiling!
* The price for the ocean-view room and island bures is very good and a plus if you get a deal online

OVERALL:
If you have the money to spend for a bure, i.e. $500/night, I probably wouldn't come here; rather stay at Castaway Island (which I visited on a day trip) or try Matamanoa. However, if you are a little less 5-star and just want a cheaper option, can get a deal on Expedia.com and want beautiful beaches with snorkeling in your Fiji experience, give this place a try, but don't expect 5-star service or facilities.

Room Tip: If you dont want 4-5 star facilities or a bure, go for ocean-view room, great views and perfect loca...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank snad1611
Reviewed 5 May 2012

i love this place its just beautiful i cant wait 2 return !! i recommend this island 2 everyone that wants 2 experience fiji, the staff are friendly and fun the food is excellent and the atmosphere is just extrodinary =)))

Room Tip: bure's are great we go bure's everytime we go =)
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank felisha s
Reviewed 30 April 2012

We just arrived back from Mana Island after spending 6 nights there. It was great. I cant for the life of me understand the negative reviews. Is it perfect? No. But its pretty bloody good. The most relaxing week of my life. My wife and 4 year old Daughter stayed in a Deluxe Ocean view bure (505 and then 407, I'll explain later). The room was great and very well looked after by house keeping. The reason for the room change quite frankly was a bush mouse in our Bure. A negative right? But the staff at Mana turned it into a positive. We were awoken by the visitor at 2.15am. By 3.15am the resort Manager personally picked us and our luggage up and had us in a Bure of equal quality ready to continue our nights rest. The Beaches are Beautiful and great for swimming, so much better than the mainland. The pools are fantastic for kids and we spent plenty of time there. Criticism number 2, the pool decks need some work. They are very old and weathered. But in the scheme of things it didnt matter at all. The food was great in the Buffet and the South Beach Restaurant was fantastic. The service from the staff, Unbelievable. So friendly and generous. The hardest thing was figuring out who to tip, there were so many staff that made our week such a pleasure. Nothing was to much trouble and all the staff were amazing with our daughter. The kids club in particular was great. One of the highlights was a trip to the school on the island. One of the staff arranged for us to go there so that we could deliver some exercise books and pens. If you are heading there please take the time to do the same. It is desperately needed and the smiles make it worthwhile. The pool bar and Bingo daily was another highlight. If you are looking for 5 star, stay in a sterile mainland resort. If you are looking for island life on fiji time for a family holiday, Mana Island is great.

13  Thank Rob M
Reviewed 28 April 2012

We've just returned from 6 nights at Mana in a garden bure. Four adults and three kids in total for two bures 129 & 130 so very central to everything. We all had a lovely time, weather was fantastic, the rooms were pretty good, no complaints. Food was okay at the resort for a buffet, we ate at Ratu Kini Backpackers also and they were cheaper and food was good too. The South Beach Restaurant was excellent, we had a lunch and a dinner there too. Lots of cocktails by the pool...the snorkelling was great. Kids loved the pool. I was a bit hesitant before we left after reading some people's reviews but I have to say that their standards might be a bit too high, it is after all an island resort. The staff were very friendly and helpful and were prompt with our requests. The kids club was excellent and everyone had a great time. We would go back. A very relaxing holiday.

7  Thank Trish M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mana Island
Sheraton Resort & Spa, Tokoriki Island
Castaway Island Fiji
Castaway Island Fiji
#1 of 1 in Castaway Island (Qalito)
Plantation Island Resort
Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island
Tokoriki Island Resort
Tokoriki Island Resort
#1 of 2 in Tokoriki Island

Been to Mana Island Resort? Share your experiences!