“Nice family holiday”
Review of Mana Island Resort

Mana Island Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Mana Island
Reviewed 7 November 2013

We went to Mana Island Resort to attend a family wedding. Stayed for 4 nights. I had read a lot of negative reviews on here before we left and I was especially nervous about getting food poisoning and was hesitant to drink the water. But we really had no issues. Just boil the water in your room then chill in the bar fridge, no need to buy bottled! I think common sense prevails in regards to food poisoning- they don't seem to have the food service standards that we are used to in Australia. At the buffet I noticed some ham and cheese sandwiches which were not refridgerated, sitting out for people to eat in the 30+ degree temperature. They looked sweaty and gross and I wouldn't have eaten them. So just exercise some caution and you will be fine! There are limited places to eat on the island and we were ready to go home after day 4 just so we could have something different! If I went again I would buy heaps of fruit and snacks and breakfast cereal on the mainland to take with me. The buffet is quite pricey, especially eating there every day.
You can do as much or as little as you want on Mana Island- we chose to relax by the pool and beach the majority of the time. The snorkelling on North Beach is fantastic, but you have to wait until high tide to go out. This was at 6pm while we were there, but the snorkels have to be returned by 4pm and can't be borrowed overnight.... go figure. Lucky we brought our own!
We stayed in an island bure, I had read on here to request one that is not attached to another room. So that made it a bit quieter. I liked not having a TV in the room.
It was a huge day travelling back from the island, over 12 hours in total. I would have preferred to stay on the mainland on the way back to break the trip up.
The staff were very friendly but definately worked on Fiji time. Several times we had to ask for things 2-3 times. We didn't mind, it was not as though we had anywhere else to be, but just don't expect the speed of service you would probably get in Sydney or somewhere like that.

Room Tip: Request a stand alone bure
1  Thank K H

Reviewed 7 November 2013

We stayed on Mana late August 2013 - great weather, wonderful location! Block 6 is the pick of the units. Most of the staff where happy souls. The buffet was over priced and of poor quality - recommend the south beach restaurant and the kiosk near the resort pool. Also recommend the back packers restaurant - the hamburger & chips were spot on.

The down side to our stay was that our compact camera was stole from our room the first morning while at Breakfast. The following is the email to the operations manager and later to the General Manager....No reply from either:

It’s with great disappointment that our holiday was over shadowed by this unfortunate situation regarding our camera which we believe was removed from our room 619 on the 17.8.2013 by the resorts employee who was cleaning 6 block on that day.

Facts as I see them:

1. We reported to the duty manager of our missing camera from the room 619 on the 18.8.2013.
2. There was no forced entry into the room 619, the room had been accessed with a key.
3. The employee in question was cleaning 6 block the day the camera was noticed missing.
4. The employee was cleaning 3 block around the 22.8.2013 and seeking a canon camera charger from the guests of room 321. Unlucky for the employee, I was related to those guests who were aware of our missing camera.
5. The duty manager was informed of this and the employee was summoned to the duty managers office with the camera in question.
6. When the camera was presented it was the same camera as the one missing from 619. The camera had all identification marks removed by using heavy scratching method. The memory card and wristband was also removed from the camera, photos attached.
7. The employee claimed it was a gift from a relation less the charger and memory card.

If the camera was a gift why was it heavily scratched? Why was there no charger or memory card. Was it stolen?

I know that was our camera. The employees body language also confirmed this.

I feel sorry for the Fijian people who would be deeply ashamed of this situation as I’m sure you are. Earlier that day we donated some money to a little girl in the village along with purchasing small items from the local market as we normally do when visiting villagers.

I feel it is the resorts reasonability to replace the missing camera as it was not left in a public area, no forced entry into the room 619.

We request that the camera be replaced, I have the following links below from an online store that I use regularly in Australia. Alternately the resort can refund us to the value of the camera, memory card & freighting cost with total amount being AU $346.00.

Room Tip: Don't let your guard down for a second - Some employees can't resist the 5 finger discount.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Mark L
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Great hotel - no TVs - beds are somewhat comfy - the food is pretty good - beach and pools are great, amazing views

loved that they have 2 separate pools - one for kids, and one for adults only - and they have a covered area facing the ocean for shade

If you're going to eat there, definitely eat in the restaurant every night - buffet breakfast is decent - omelet station is good

I stayed in a ocean view hotel room - not a bure, but all are very nice -they are renovating some more right now too so they should be even better

The night life is terrible - bar closes at 11, and we only saw 1 show while we were there - but I doubt that's what people even care about when visiting Fiji. Pretty much all resorts are like that in Fiji.

Snorkeling is amazing - you can use the equipment for free, and can see almost as many fish as the Great Barrier Reef right off the resort beach.

Getting there: I flew into Nadi and took a shuttle to the dock, then an hour boat ride to Mana Island where I was greeted and given a brief orientation. Was very welcoming and homey.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with an ocean view - but any room is great
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 November 2013

My husband is currently working in Suva so we took advantage of being able to call on Grandma to mind the kids for a few days while we got the perfect escape.

Mana Island is "heaven on earth". Imagine sitting on a beach at 10.30 in the morning sipping an amazing cocktail at the Sand Bar on South Beach after enjoying a huge buffet breakfast at the North Beach Restaurant!

Even when it was overcast (and at times raining!) it was so beautifully warm! So much better than the current Auckland weather.

An absolute must do is the walk up to the Look Out. This way you can appreciate the view of the whole North and South sides of the Island.

During our stay we made new friends, not only with others staying, but also with the wonderful staff! Vinaka vaka levu!

If you can, charge everything to your room as its so much easier than having to pay cash or credit card all the time! Even the souviner shop prefers this!

We were so surprised at our final bill! With all our charge backs (to our room - including ALL my cocktails that the fabulous Epi makes!) we were pleasantly surprised.

We are definitely returning to Mana next year... and the year after that we'll take our little girls (who will then be 3 and 5) so that they can join the amazing kids club that Mana offers.

Sota tali, vinaka vaka levu Mana friends.

Room Tip: Choose the "600" Club! Best ocean views and room size is great. Also its close to the San...
2  Thank RachScotty
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Myself any my boyfriend had the pleasure of staying on this beautiful island for a week in late October and we will definitely be coming back however next time we will be more prepared.

We stayed in one of the island bures and found it clean, comfy and cool :-) I read a lot of negative reviews before coming here on holiday and believe that most of the reviews were over the top.

I would recommend the following tips to anyone going to Mana:

1. May to July apparently is the best time to visit Mana, during our stay in October it rained 4 out of 7 days which can be a pain especially when you come from Auckland. October on-wards is when they start to enter their rain/cyclone season.

2. I have read this time and again to avoid the north beach buffet and I agree the food is expensive and poor quality, I am not one to usually complain but I hardly touched the food in this buffet.
Instead it is cheaper to have breakfast at the backpackers which is located on the south beach and then to have lunch and dinner at the South Beach Restaurant which has the better quality food on the island not to mention cheaper than the North Beach Buffet, but be warned you have to book reservations for dinner as it is popular and can get fully booked!

3. Bring entertainment in case of rainy days, I was thankful i bought a laptop.

4. You do not need to pre-purchase snorkeling gear, there is free snorkelling gear, kayaks, catamarans etc from the water-sports shack, located on the south beach.
However I will advise the Jet-Skis are expensive, it is $95 for 15 minutes and 9/10 times you have to have a guide with you on it.

5.Purchase as much alcohol and mixers as you can at duty free before coming to Mana, the bars on the island can rack up a huuuuge bill before you know how much you have spent.

6. Visit sunset beach during a sunset on Mana, you will not regret it, however the resort says its a 20 minute walk, I would allow 40 minutes in the heat.

7. The Sea Spray Day Cruise is not one to be missed, this was the highlight of our trip! They provide morning and afternoon tea (cakes and biscuits) and a BBQ lunch which was really yummy! You will also be provided free alcohol and soft drinks as much as you please. You also get to visit the island where they filmed Castaway and snorkel in the bay as well as visiting a Fijian village for a Kava ceremony.

8. To avoid blistering your skin with a second degree burn like I did, use sun cream even if it is over-cast i know this is obvious but you can still burn even when it is raining.

9. The island provides many day activities and adventures out, if you find nothing at reception, head over to the backpackers, they do a series of scuba diving trips and days out.

10. I visited the spa on the island but found it pretty average for pricey massage, will be avoiding this on my next trip.

11. The resort advise they provide free golf buggies for those farther out on the island, this is untrue it is only for the honeymoon bures.

12. You will probably encounter a few un-friendly staff but the majority are helpful and friendly so don't be put off.

13. I realllly regret not buying an under-water camera for the trip, the snorkeling is absolutely amazing on Mana. I would definitely recommend the afternoon snorkeling trip which you can book through the water-sports shack however be warned sometimes there are reef sharks but they scare easily and no bigger than your arm.

14. The staff will attempt to charge everything to your room, we found it was easier to stay on top of our money by paying for everything there and then.

15. You do not need to stay over night in Nadi if you are planning to come to Mana, we timed it so that when we landed in Nadi we got straight on the sea spray resort connections ferry, however if you are wanting to spend some time in a city we would recommend Denarau.

16. If you can, with note to buying alcohol before arriving, try and buy as many snacks as you can for the room before landing in Mana, for example a packet of pringles at the shop on Mana it costs $8.50 (you can tell most of our money went on food and drink)

17. For you smokers out there, the cigarettes on the island which can be purchased at the bars are rather cheap.

Hope this helps! :-)

39  Thank Sarah T
Reviewed 28 October 2013

The Fijian people are some of the warmest and most beautiful in the world, with their hospitality, genuine welcome, and friendliness to all......Those on Mana Island are absolutely no exception to this, and remain the chief reason we keep returning to Fiji. There are other places in the world with beaches and sunshine, but it’s the Fijian people who keep us coming back. Special mention goes to Zack who sings like an angel and captivated us all with his humour, and to Epi on South Beach. The ladies servicing our room in the 300 Block were just the loveliest people. This was our 3rd stay on Mana (plus we sent my sister and her husband there for their honeymoon 7 years ago), and like a previous reviewer, can attest to a spectrum of changes - some good, some less so - over the past 18 years. Mana is one of the larger resorts, and before booking your accommodation, you should bear this in mind: Your perception/experience there will very likely be coloured by the type of accommodation you stay in. A 4-Star rating for this Resort overall is probably somewhat generous – there will certainly be 4-Star accommodation options in the mix, however the accommodation probably more accurately *ranges* from 2.5 to 4 Star. Dining options, likewise, probably range from 3 to 4 Star, but more on that later (including pricing). The 100-Block Island Bures are being progressively renovated, and while tight space-wise, still offer air-con, an outdoor shower, and the most cost-conscious option. We stayed in the Ocean View 300 Block (upstairs) on North Beach, and for a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 children 9 and 12 years), this was completely adequate for a fly-and-flop holiday. Kids don't mind sharing a bed, and it's located close to the pool, snorkel bure, and Mamanuca Restaurant on the North Beach. We stayed in this Block 6 years ago, and at that time, it was well-kept and appealing. That said, we were a little disappointed upon our arrival last week: The 300 Block is now quite tired, and desperately in need of rejuvenation (apparently happening next year), and it’s apparent that the Resort operators are just keeping this ticking over until that time. Our beds were mismatched (one sat on a dirty stained base with wheels that didn't fit the mattress, so drooped at the end), the bathroom was a festival of shower mould and poor tiling with intermittent hot water supply (a mixer tap in the shower would have been nice too instead of leaky taps, but hot showers would have been better!), ceiling fan didn't work, broken glass on the deck from a previously shattered glass pane on the door worked its way into my sons foot, and you could be forgiven for thinking that the cigarette butts left sitting in the gardens and on the beach outside the 300 Block were seed pods from some tropical plant, they were that plentiful. Nice to hear about other parties receiving an upgrade or room swap (which probably would have been appropriate given our little room issues and the rough old bird downstairs bleating nastily about normal kid noises – yes, we spoke to Reception about all of this), but sadly this wasn’t the case for us. Shame…..keep families like us happy, and we’ll loyally return to spend our pennies with you rather than elsewhere. Not to worry. Breakfast Buffet is FJD$35 a head, with a reasonable selection on offer, though after 9 days somewhat repetitious (it didn’t really change). A themed Dinner Buffet is also served nightly at the same restaurant (the very tired Mamanuca Restaurant on North Beach), and we all agreed that the food wasn’t quite as nice as it was on our last visit 6 years ago….think school camp, but with nicer tablecloths and a pricetag per head of FJD$65. Children 12 years and under eat “free” from all Buffets with a paying adult, however we still found it more cost-effective (even with drinks factored in) to dine as a family at the South Beach Restaurant. Food at South Beach is several notches up in terms of quality, and more closely approximates the 4-Star setting you are expecting. Providing you’re not after the Lobster Platter, sizeable, tasty, and attractively presented mains average around FJD$32, with AUD$ and NZD$ equivalents listed on the menu. A-la-carte Children’s menu meals are FJD$15 and $20, well presented, and sizeable for a child. Cocktails across the Resort are all FJD$17……purchase from the pool bar, and you’ll receive a rather pricey slushy or milkshake – seemingly alcohol-free – served without ceremony or garnish in a crazed plastic receptacle. Order at the South Beach Restaurant, and it’s the Real McCoy, with the bells and whistles plus an octane rating, for the same price. Beside the pool, there’s a homely little shack selling good value tasty wraps and sandwiches (FJD$10-13) that are really all the family need for lunch, plus they have a high turnover so the food is fresh. An icecream shack (quality NZ Natural icecream) sits beside the pool too, and while pricey, remember you ARE sitting on an island miles from anywhere in 30 degrees! If you’re a little more adventurous, wander down to the two local Backpackers’ places past the jetty on South Beach. There, you’ll be rewarded with cheaper drinks, a livelier social set, and some comparable dining for less $$……okay, not flash, but fun. If seafood is what you’re after, walk past the first Backpackers and onto the second further along the path: There you’ll find Ravi who will prepare a range of arguably the BEST seafood dishes on Mana Island. Ravi prepared what was probably the freshest, most delicious Crab Curry I have ever had, and have to say everything at the Resort for dinner paled by comparison afterwards! Anyway, back to Mana Island Resort……best snorkelling is to be found at North Beach at the drop-off (50m from shore). Fish are beautiful and plentiful, and free snorkelling sets are clean and in good order, so unless you really want to, don't bother bringing your own. No probs with supply of these, as we cunningly planned our travel outside of School Holiday madness. Hobie Cats on South Beach are new, free, and stacks of fun. Had thought that *all* non-motorised watersports were free, so was surprised to discover the stand-up paddleboard from the same watersports bure would have cost a hefty FJD$40 for 30 mins……must have a little motor concealed in there. Take a walk to Sunset Beach, and climb to the 3 lookout points for some great island vistas. The climbs are a great adventure for the family (how do those hermit crabs get up there?), though we were a little surprised by the amount of genuine garbage along the roadside (likely left by tourists) that we encountered along the way. We visited the Village school (Years 1-8), and donated a sizeable pile of stationery and school books from our own school in NZ which were gratefully received by truly gorgeous children. A Villager told us the best time to visit was 10am, so we made it so. Several staff around the Resort told us that there are some significant renovations planned for the next year or so, and I suspect that the ageing family pool area and Mamanuca Restaurant are probably on the list (judging by the finger-pointing folk standing with plans in hand). Will we be back? …….maybe, after these upgrades are complete. Mana Island Resort, as it stands, really is a “Choose Your Own Adventure” novel that has the potential – with some much-needed investment from it’s owners – to be one of the best Resorts in Fiji. It’s blessed with size, beaches, and natural beauty that some of the smaller island resorts don’t quite have. I found myself brimming with ideas on how to make this Resort better…..but then, that’s not my job, and I doubt anyone really looks at those pink Feedback forms (so didn’t waste my beach-time on departure day completing it). Vinaka.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
7  Thank Mumsbolognese
Reviewed 24 October 2013

This was our return trip to Mana Island Resort for our 20th wedding anniversary, having had a belated honeymoon there over 18 years ago. The resort has certainly expanded since then, plenty for the better and some less so. I put a video on my youtube channel of the bure if it helps.
We had a week there and with a busy life at the moment went with every intention of just relaxing which we could easily do. We were in a honeymoon bure, one of just 7 that are tucked well away from the rest of the resort and which are guarded by security to make sure only residents of these bure's and there invited friends have access to this secluded area of the island. Being set away from the main resort was taken care off by being given your own golf buggy to get back and forth to the restaurants, bars and shop.
With the resort getting bigger there are a few more families than I remember from before but there are enough areas around the island to get away, on top of the honeymoon bure complex if you want your own space, although planning your meal times to be a bit quieter is advisable. Also if the wind picks up remember that you can go to the beaches on the other side of the island and usually find a place out of the worst of it.
With great staff that took time to learn who you are and look after you for the week we would recommend going to anyone.

Room Tip: Use the whole island if its blowing, it may be best to go to one of the other beaches as it will get...
1  Thank kylepaulelmer
Plantation Island Resort
#3 of 3 in Malolo Lailai Island
Castaway Island Fiji
Castaway Island Fiji
#1 of 1 in Castaway Island (Qalito)
Sheraton Fiji Resort
Sheraton Fiji Resort
#7 of 8 in Denarau Island
Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island

Been to Mana Island Resort? Share your experiences!