“BedBugs at Mana - Staff Don't want to KNOW”
Review of Mana Island Resort

Mana Island Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Mana Island
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“BedBugs at Mana - Staff Don't want to KNOW”
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Stayed at Mana and my bed had BEDBUGS

Wrote to the hotel when I returned, as at the time of staying I could not work out why I was getting so many bites until I went to the doctor. The resort advised me they would do a report but as to date I still have had no reply, so am concerned others may have the same problem.

I would never have expected to have BEDBUGS - I took many photos.

The island was very relaxing, enjoyed the snorkelling and staff were very friendly

Room Tip: Check your bed for bedbugs!!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank dianah20

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (442)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Brisbane
Reviewed 10 November 2013

we just recently stayed at Mana Island (Nov 13), the staff were friendly but the food average in comparison to the coral coast resort we stayed at. 2 pools (one adult and one for families) are quite small and chairs and beds around the pool limited. Our room was comfortable but dated (the bath/shower needed attention), no tvs in the room and buffet not so great.
I highly recommend visiting the local school (near the backpackers) and donating any notebooks, pencils, paper etc, small donations and even toiletries are required. I was sad to learn that Mana Island resort (japanese owned) doesn't not contribute anything to the local community (who even buy their crappy timber they no longer want). The community is trying to get fresh water pumped to each house so the kids can have showers every day. I'd like to see some visitor dollars from the resort donated every year to their community.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank DizzyBee2013
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 7 November 2013

We went to Mana Island Resort to attend a family wedding. Stayed for 4 nights. I had read a lot of negative reviews on here before we left and I was especially nervous about getting food poisoning and was hesitant to drink the water. But we really had no issues. Just boil the water in your room then chill in the bar fridge, no need to buy bottled! I think common sense prevails in regards to food poisoning- they don't seem to have the food service standards that we are used to in Australia. At the buffet I noticed some ham and cheese sandwiches which were not refridgerated, sitting out for people to eat in the 30+ degree temperature. They looked sweaty and gross and I wouldn't have eaten them. So just exercise some caution and you will be fine! There are limited places to eat on the island and we were ready to go home after day 4 just so we could have something different! If I went again I would buy heaps of fruit and snacks and breakfast cereal on the mainland to take with me. The buffet is quite pricey, especially eating there every day.
You can do as much or as little as you want on Mana Island- we chose to relax by the pool and beach the majority of the time. The snorkelling on North Beach is fantastic, but you have to wait until high tide to go out. This was at 6pm while we were there, but the snorkels have to be returned by 4pm and can't be borrowed overnight.... go figure. Lucky we brought our own!
We stayed in an island bure, I had read on here to request one that is not attached to another room. So that made it a bit quieter. I liked not having a TV in the room.
It was a huge day travelling back from the island, over 12 hours in total. I would have preferred to stay on the mainland on the way back to break the trip up.
The staff were very friendly but definately worked on Fiji time. Several times we had to ask for things 2-3 times. We didn't mind, it was not as though we had anywhere else to be, but just don't expect the speed of service you would probably get in Sydney or somewhere like that.

Room Tip: Request a stand alone bure
1 Thank K H
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 7 November 2013

We stayed on Mana late August 2013 - great weather, wonderful location! Block 6 is the pick of the units. Most of the staff where happy souls. The buffet was over priced and of poor quality - recommend the south beach restaurant and the kiosk near the resort pool. Also recommend the back packers restaurant - the hamburger & chips were spot on.

The down side to our stay was that our compact camera was stole from our room the first morning while at Breakfast. The following is the email to the operations manager and later to the General Manager....No reply from either:

It’s with great disappointment that our holiday was over shadowed by this unfortunate situation regarding our camera which we believe was removed from our room 619 on the 17.8.2013 by the resorts employee who was cleaning 6 block on that day.

Facts as I see them:

1. We reported to the duty manager of our missing camera from the room 619 on the 18.8.2013.
2. There was no forced entry into the room 619, the room had been accessed with a key.
3. The employee in question was cleaning 6 block the day the camera was noticed missing.
4. The employee was cleaning 3 block around the 22.8.2013 and seeking a canon camera charger from the guests of room 321. Unlucky for the employee, I was related to those guests who were aware of our missing camera.
5. The duty manager was informed of this and the employee was summoned to the duty managers office with the camera in question.
6. When the camera was presented it was the same camera as the one missing from 619. The camera had all identification marks removed by using heavy scratching method. The memory card and wristband was also removed from the camera, photos attached.
7. The employee claimed it was a gift from a relation less the charger and memory card.

If the camera was a gift why was it heavily scratched? Why was there no charger or memory card. Was it stolen?

I know that was our camera. The employees body language also confirmed this.

I feel sorry for the Fijian people who would be deeply ashamed of this situation as I’m sure you are. Earlier that day we donated some money to a little girl in the village along with purchasing small items from the local market as we normally do when visiting villagers.

I feel it is the resorts reasonability to replace the missing camera as it was not left in a public area, no forced entry into the room 619.

We request that the camera be replaced, I have the following links below from an online store that I use regularly in Australia. Alternately the resort can refund us to the value of the camera, memory card & freighting cost with total amount being AU $346.00.

Room Tip: Don't let your guard down for a second - Some employees can't resist the 5 finger discount.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Mark L
Millbury, Massachusetts
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Great hotel - no TVs - beds are somewhat comfy - the food is pretty good - beach and pools are great, amazing views

loved that they have 2 separate pools - one for kids, and one for adults only - and they have a covered area facing the ocean for shade

If you're going to eat there, definitely eat in the restaurant every night - buffet breakfast is decent - omelet station is good

I stayed in a ocean view hotel room - not a bure, but all are very nice -they are renovating some more right now too so they should be even better

The night life is terrible - bar closes at 11, and we only saw 1 show while we were there - but I doubt that's what people even care about when visiting Fiji. Pretty much all resorts are like that in Fiji.

Snorkeling is amazing - you can use the equipment for free, and can see almost as many fish as the Great Barrier Reef right off the resort beach.

Getting there: I flew into Nadi and took a shuttle to the dock, then an hour boat ride to Mana Island where I was greeted and given a brief orientation. Was very welcoming and homey.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with an ocean view - but any room is great
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Savusavu, Fiji
Reviewed 1 November 2013

My husband is currently working in Suva so we took advantage of being able to call on Grandma to mind the kids for a few days while we got the perfect escape.

Mana Island is "heaven on earth". Imagine sitting on a beach at 10.30 in the morning sipping an amazing cocktail at the Sand Bar on South Beach after enjoying a huge buffet breakfast at the North Beach Restaurant!

Even when it was overcast (and at times raining!) it was so beautifully warm! So much better than the current Auckland weather.

An absolute must do is the walk up to the Look Out. This way you can appreciate the view of the whole North and South sides of the Island.

During our stay we made new friends, not only with others staying, but also with the wonderful staff! Vinaka vaka levu!

If you can, charge everything to your room as its so much easier than having to pay cash or credit card all the time! Even the souviner shop prefers this!

We were so surprised at our final bill! With all our charge backs (to our room - including ALL my cocktails that the fabulous Epi makes!) we were pleasantly surprised.

We are definitely returning to Mana next year... and the year after that we'll take our little girls (who will then be 3 and 5) so that they can join the amazing kids club that Mana offers.

Sota tali, vinaka vaka levu Mana friends.

Room Tip: Choose the "600" Club! Best ocean views and room size is great. Also its close to the San...
2 Thank RachScotty
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Myself any my boyfriend had the pleasure of staying on this beautiful island for a week in late October and we will definitely be coming back however next time we will be more prepared.

We stayed in one of the island bures and found it clean, comfy and cool :-) I read a lot of negative reviews before coming here on holiday and believe that most of the reviews were over the top.

I would recommend the following tips to anyone going to Mana:

1. May to July apparently is the best time to visit Mana, during our stay in October it rained 4 out of 7 days which can be a pain especially when you come from Auckland. October on-wards is when they start to enter their rain/cyclone season.

2. I have read this time and again to avoid the north beach buffet and I agree the food is expensive and poor quality, I am not one to usually complain but I hardly touched the food in this buffet.
Instead it is cheaper to have breakfast at the backpackers which is located on the south beach and then to have lunch and dinner at the South Beach Restaurant which has the better quality food on the island not to mention cheaper than the North Beach Buffet, but be warned you have to book reservations for dinner as it is popular and can get fully booked!

3. Bring entertainment in case of rainy days, I was thankful i bought a laptop.

4. You do not need to pre-purchase snorkeling gear, there is free snorkelling gear, kayaks, catamarans etc from the water-sports shack, located on the south beach.
However I will advise the Jet-Skis are expensive, it is $95 for 15 minutes and 9/10 times you have to have a guide with you on it.

5.Purchase as much alcohol and mixers as you can at duty free before coming to Mana, the bars on the island can rack up a huuuuge bill before you know how much you have spent.

6. Visit sunset beach during a sunset on Mana, you will not regret it, however the resort says its a 20 minute walk, I would allow 40 minutes in the heat.

7. The Sea Spray Day Cruise is not one to be missed, this was the highlight of our trip! They provide morning and afternoon tea (cakes and biscuits) and a BBQ lunch which was really yummy! You will also be provided free alcohol and soft drinks as much as you please. You also get to visit the island where they filmed Castaway and snorkel in the bay as well as visiting a Fijian village for a Kava ceremony.

8. To avoid blistering your skin with a second degree burn like I did, use sun cream even if it is over-cast i know this is obvious but you can still burn even when it is raining.

9. The island provides many day activities and adventures out, if you find nothing at reception, head over to the backpackers, they do a series of scuba diving trips and days out.

10. I visited the spa on the island but found it pretty average for pricey massage, will be avoiding this on my next trip.

11. The resort advise they provide free golf buggies for those farther out on the island, this is untrue it is only for the honeymoon bures.

12. You will probably encounter a few un-friendly staff but the majority are helpful and friendly so don't be put off.

13. I realllly regret not buying an under-water camera for the trip, the snorkeling is absolutely amazing on Mana. I would definitely recommend the afternoon snorkeling trip which you can book through the water-sports shack however be warned sometimes there are reef sharks but they scare easily and no bigger than your arm.

14. The staff will attempt to charge everything to your room, we found it was easier to stay on top of our money by paying for everything there and then.

15. You do not need to stay over night in Nadi if you are planning to come to Mana, we timed it so that when we landed in Nadi we got straight on the sea spray resort connections ferry, however if you are wanting to spend some time in a city we would recommend Denarau.

16. If you can, with note to buying alcohol before arriving, try and buy as many snacks as you can for the room before landing in Mana, for example a packet of pringles at the shop on Mana it costs $8.50 (you can tell most of our money went on food and drink)

17. For you smokers out there, the cigarettes on the island which can be purchased at the bars are rather cheap.

Hope this helps! :-)

39 Thank Sarah T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mana Island
Tropica Island Resort
Tropica Island Resort
#3 of 3 in Malolo Island
Castaway Island Fiji
Castaway Island Fiji
#1 of 1 in Castaway Island (Qalito)
Plantation Island Resort
Plantation Island Resort
#3 of 3 in Malolo Lailai Island
Tokoriki Island Resort
Tokoriki Island Resort
#1 of 2 in Tokoriki Island
Sheraton Resort & Spa, Tokoriki Island
Sheraton Resort & Spa, Tokoriki ...
#2 of 2 in Tokoriki Island
Matamanoa Island Resort
Matamanoa Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Matamanoa Island

Been to Mana Island Resort? Share your experiences!