“A fabulous week on Mana!”
Review of Mana Island Resort

Mana Island Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Mana Island
Sydney, Australia
“A fabulous week on Mana!”
Reviewed 20 November 2013

From the moment we arrived (via seaplane!) we had an awesome time. We were lucky enough to be upgraded to an ocean front suite which allowed us plenty of room during our week.

The scuba dive team were fantastic - thanks Richard for the great dives we really enjoyed them.

Spa was clean and although a bit $$ (same price as Australian Spa treatments) the surroundings were lovely and the products good.

We did not take the meal packages, preferring to choose where and what we wanted to eat. We did do the buffet breakfast, and lunch which was good value. The wood fired pizza is lovely at lunch.

Drinks are expensive and if you have the opportunity to take some with you I would suggest you do so - especially if you are a wine drinker like me. Otherwise the backpackers do allow you to take home wine so that is more acceptably priced option.

Warning about sunburn - truly within 20 mins you are getting burnt - sunscreen is a must at all times!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Michelle184

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (442)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Blenheim, New Zealand
Reviewed 20 November 2013

What a great holiday, Mana was everything that I hoped for.

What was great:
The beaches.
Mana has to have some of the best beaches in Fiji. What worked well was having the north and south beach. If windy on one side, it was idyllic on the other. Staff cleaned beach debris each day if required, so they were always tidy.
The staff.
All really friendly and helpful. We organised a buggy ride to sunset beach for alfresco dinner on the beach. Staff only too happy to help (at no extra cost).
Rooms.
We stayed in the 600 block ocean view suite. It was huge, spacious, good air con. It was cleaned well everyday. A real treat.
The food.
A different theme buffet each night. After staying 8 days, thought we would get tired of the food, but the choices were pretty good. After reading some of the scathing reviews I was worried, but its a buffet, not fine dining. Plenty of tasty healthy options. Sure the meal plan was probably expensive, but you are on an island, costs are going to be higher than at home.

Not so great.
General upkeep of resort. It does look a little tired. But once again it is 4 star, and that's what you get. Not 5 star with the associated cost.

Would definitely recommend for families with children.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Beautiful Mana, friendly staff, great beaches, nice rooms. This island resort has for many years been up there with the best but unfortunately even after the cyclone it still needs a general make over. The other resort island look like your typical Fijian island and can be rated 4 to 5 star but Mana seems to depend on their returnees who some times turn a blind eye to what isnt happening. I am not sure if its the fact that is owned by Japanese and seems to focus on Asian tourists although the large percentage is Australian or Kiwis. They are planning to build a Japanese restaurant and have staff from Japan. If my family goes to Fiji we want a Fijian experience not Asian and this goes especially for the food, why a Japanese chef, give people good food at good prices and they will come back. We spoke to alot of first timers and they assured us they wont be back as there are much cheaper and better maintained Fijian resorts. Once again this must come to the attention of the new manager when trying to attract tourists. This resort can once again be number one, but it needs to improve in many ways, they cant keep depending on the returnees to prop up this great resort. My family will return, but for the hard workers and the Mana family the management needs to open their eyes, spend some money, especially in the games room, buy your own water activities craft and get rid of the over priced Sea Fiji craft. In this day and age people want value for money and Mana Island Resort can provide this with some positive thinking and listening to the guests, especially the devoted returnees. In saying all the above its a great place, a large island with plenty of places to wonder, great snorkeling, great beaches and most of all friendly Fijian staff that will give you that typical Fijian holiday. If you want 5 Star stay else where but put up with the few downers on Mana it will be a great Fijian holiday, also if you dont like the food although breakfast is good value try Ratu Kini back packers along the south beach you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: The Garden Bures are good value for families.
4 Thank Markbull
Seattle
Reviewed 12 November 2013

We go to fiji island every year, this year we decided to check out Mana Island Resort and Spa, we stayed in one of the suites which had the most spectacular view of the ocean, our stay was perfect, the staff, the guests, everyone was super kind and helpful, we were a little late to make dinner reseravations so we ordered something to eat in the room, they were very busy and made a slight mistake with our order, when we called they were very prompt in bringing us our correct order with free drinks. Be sure to check out the look out point, its a bit of a hike but totally worth it.

Room Tip: definatley choose the ocean front rooms, a little distance to walk to but it is worth it!
1 Thank arsha36
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Stayed at Mana and my bed had BEDBUGS

Wrote to the hotel when I returned, as at the time of staying I could not work out why I was getting so many bites until I went to the doctor. The resort advised me they would do a report but as to date I still have had no reply, so am concerned others may have the same problem.

I would never have expected to have BEDBUGS - I took many photos.

The island was very relaxing, enjoyed the snorkelling and staff were very friendly

Room Tip: Check your bed for bedbugs!!
3 Thank dianah20
Brisbane
Reviewed 10 November 2013

we just recently stayed at Mana Island (Nov 13), the staff were friendly but the food average in comparison to the coral coast resort we stayed at. 2 pools (one adult and one for families) are quite small and chairs and beds around the pool limited. Our room was comfortable but dated (the bath/shower needed attention), no tvs in the room and buffet not so great.
I highly recommend visiting the local school (near the backpackers) and donating any notebooks, pencils, paper etc, small donations and even toiletries are required. I was sad to learn that Mana Island resort (japanese owned) doesn't not contribute anything to the local community (who even buy their crappy timber they no longer want). The community is trying to get fresh water pumped to each house so the kids can have showers every day. I'd like to see some visitor dollars from the resort donated every year to their community.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank DizzyBee2013
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 7 November 2013

We went to Mana Island Resort to attend a family wedding. Stayed for 4 nights. I had read a lot of negative reviews on here before we left and I was especially nervous about getting food poisoning and was hesitant to drink the water. But we really had no issues. Just boil the water in your room then chill in the bar fridge, no need to buy bottled! I think common sense prevails in regards to food poisoning- they don't seem to have the food service standards that we are used to in Australia. At the buffet I noticed some ham and cheese sandwiches which were not refridgerated, sitting out for people to eat in the 30+ degree temperature. They looked sweaty and gross and I wouldn't have eaten them. So just exercise some caution and you will be fine! There are limited places to eat on the island and we were ready to go home after day 4 just so we could have something different! If I went again I would buy heaps of fruit and snacks and breakfast cereal on the mainland to take with me. The buffet is quite pricey, especially eating there every day.
You can do as much or as little as you want on Mana Island- we chose to relax by the pool and beach the majority of the time. The snorkelling on North Beach is fantastic, but you have to wait until high tide to go out. This was at 6pm while we were there, but the snorkels have to be returned by 4pm and can't be borrowed overnight.... go figure. Lucky we brought our own!
We stayed in an island bure, I had read on here to request one that is not attached to another room. So that made it a bit quieter. I liked not having a TV in the room.
It was a huge day travelling back from the island, over 12 hours in total. I would have preferred to stay on the mainland on the way back to break the trip up.
The staff were very friendly but definately worked on Fiji time. Several times we had to ask for things 2-3 times. We didn't mind, it was not as though we had anywhere else to be, but just don't expect the speed of service you would probably get in Sydney or somewhere like that.

Room Tip: Request a stand alone bure
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank K H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mana Island
Bounty Island Resort
Bounty Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Bounty Island
Castaway Island Fiji
Castaway Island Fiji
#1 of 1 in Castaway Island (Qalito)
Matamanoa Island Resort
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,639 reviews
Likuliku Lagoon Resort
Likuliku Lagoon Resort
#1 of 3 in Malolo Island

Been to Mana Island Resort? Share your experiences!