“Mana is paradise”
Review of Mana Island Resort

Mana Island Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Mana Island
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Lovely place to stay. We spent 3 days on Mana island and it was too short for my liking. It was an amazing place in such a beautiful location. Lucky for us, we were upgraded into the honeymoon suite and it was spectacular to say the least! The morning view of the ocean 5 meters way, your own deck looking out on a lounger, the spa bath and monstrous sized bathroom, made for a luxurious stay. Upon arrival, the employees all congregate 3 times a day on the dock to welcome all visitors with a lovely cheerful song and then farewell the departing passengers, each time with the same enthusiasm as the last.

The great thing is that all non-motorised water sports (apart from paddle boarding) was free; the snorkelling on both the north and south beaches was amazing. The water was so clear and warm and tons of little tropical fish to see. They have rescued baby turtles which they raise up and release as part of the turtle conservation plan. The staff were more than accommodating and very friendly, each introducing themselves and getting to know you individually. The seafood buffet didn't have the variety I was expecting but the quality of the seafood was amazing. Entertainment on a daily basis and activities to keep everyone happy.

I thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will gladly go again. Next time, I will be better prepared and pack in pens, pencils, exercise books and even some sports equipment for the primary school kids on Mana island, as they are the sweetest kids and it would be great to give back in some capacity.

2  Thank Puhipi

Reviewed 29 June 2014

My partner and I stayed here for 3 nights in February 2014, not because we wanted to stay here, but because we knew the island was beautiful. We spent the rest of our nights at a far more comfortable resort on a different island. We were almost persuaded by the shocking reviews to cancel our stay here altogether, but were glad that we came for just a short visit.

Mana Island - spectacular reefs for snorkeling within swimming distance from the beach, and a rewarding walk to the lookout point on the hill near the resort; unfortunately these were really the only highlights of our stay. Every aspect of the resort was run-down, shabby or dated; we didn't feel we could use the pools after reading the reviews of swimmers getting sick after using them, and there was no way we were risking the resort restaurants for anything other than cocktails after the reviews we'd read. We ate at the Backpackers' as recommended, which was cheaper and delicious, however I still got sick after one meal and spent half a day on the toilet and the other half in bed, which was a real waste of a day.
We stayed in a Garden Bure, which wasn't as secluded and tranquil as the website made out, but at least wasn't rat- and bedbug-infested like we were half expecting it to be. Definitely tired and not as clean as we would like - we were glad we brought our own bedsheets with us for our stay at Mana. Overly expensive Wi-Fi and the long walks to the beach and back from our room added to the discomfort.

We stuck almost entirely to our own devices during our stay, not really trusting any of the sports or activity providers on the island. We did venture out for one really awesome parasailing trip which I am glad we did - irritating staff disorganisation didn't help, and my heart sank when, as we arrived at the tiny sand cay from which we were to parasail, my partner and I were told we couldn't go up together as the wind wasn't strong enough; however, as I made it clear I wouldn't be going up at all if we couldn't go together, the captain found some extra wind from somewhere and we went after all. Would highly recommend a GoPro with a velcro strap to fasten to your wrist for this - we have some amazing video and photos 100m up in the air, and the view of the Mamanucas is beautiful :-)

Interesting to note, and I'm not sure why this is, but of 2 weeks' swimming and snorkeling in Fiji, Mana was the only beach at which I was bitten by sea lice.

Some aspects of the resort were closed or under refurbishment while we were there, and we heard that the resort was going to be completely gutted and restored later in the year - if this is true then we are hoping that Mana might actually be worth re-visiting at some point in the future. We were glad we went, and the reef was particularly lovely if you're prepared to venture out by yourself, but that doesn't in any way mean the resort earned a good review or good memories from us. Still, if the renovations are happening - watch this space!

Room Tip: The garden bures are worn out, but okay - however the beachside rooms looked much newer so might be...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank WittyLeak
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We stayed at the beautiful Mana Island resort for 7 nights in early June and had the most amazing time. We stayed in the garden bure which I think is the cheapest option. This bure suited us just fine. It was neat, clean and had everything that we needed to make our stay comfortable. We LOVED the outdoor shower and we also loved sitting on the chairs out the front of our room enjoying the peaceful scenery. The Island bure was in the perfect location with everything the Island had to offer being a very short walk away.
Our days were spent scuba diving in the morning, lying on the beach or swimming until lunch, snorkelling in the early afternoon, playing tennis until dinner and then sitting around the outdoor bar at night drinking cocktails.
The diving was amazing. My husband is a diver who has been trying to get me to do it forever. I am so glad that I gave it a go during this holiday. The dive team helped me out and I found it nowhere near as difficult as I thought. We saw the most amazing marine life (including a shark feeding).
The snorkelling just off the beach was breath taking. I could not believe the beautiful fish and coral that we saw.
I was a little apprehensive about the buffet due to reviews that I had read, however I was pleasantly surprised. My husband and I enjoyed the food and had no issues with it at all. There was so much variety and if in doubt there was always wood fired pizza, sushi or salad that you could resort to if you did not like any of the available options. We did not go to the restaurant on the other side of the Island as we simply did not get around to it. Other guests told us that they enjoyed it though.
The staff were so fun and friendly. Nothing was too difficult for them. Their friendly and relaxed manner really added something special to the resort.
The only part of the Island that I felt was doing the resort a massive disservice was the wharf which is in mid renovation. I can imagine that those arriving by boat or those simply passing by on their way to or home from other resorts may be unnecessarily put off by the impression that it currently gives the resort. Other than that, we were not bothered by the "outdated" parts of the resort and found it charming.
Mana Island resort was absolutely gorgeous and was everything that we had hoped for and more. We will be returning as soon as we can and will be telling everyone else about it!

1  Thank Janelle D
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Lovely natural surroundings and the resort benefits from having two beachfronts so there is always a calm spot whichever direction the breeze is coming from.
Room basic but had complimentary toiletries, a hairdryer, bug spray, stationery and a safe. More expensive (and presumably flashier) rooms are available.
Pool bar was a nice spot for a casual cocktail at happy hour, though it was pretty noisy as poolside Bingo was played at the bar. Cocktails took the edge off though! The restaurant bar was a bit more dressy by sundown.
The resort boasts two dining areas but only the one on south beach was open during our stay as the other was being refurbished, so we can’t comment on that. Food was good.
The Dive centre was important to us as we wanted to do some diving. It was easily accessible with friendly staff that accommodated our wishes (to try to find some sharks!)
Watersports were offered but not all the toys seemed to be accessible. We would have enjoyed being able to use the sailing catamaran for longer but because only one seemed to be in use (while others sat on the beach) we kept being asked to return it. Despite our competence with boat handling and awareness of the dangers of shallow coral reefs, (we are a marine engineer and a dive instructor!) we were also strictly limited in the areas we were allowed to use the catamaran in which meant we did not enjoy using the boats as much as we had hoped to.
The need to return snorkelling equipment to the south beach every evening by 5pm was also annoying as we would have liked to snorkel at the beach near our room on the other side of the island. I’d recommend taking your own.
Those small gripes aside, we loved the island, which is absolutely beautiful, and found the resort staff to be helpful and friendly in all our encounters with them.

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side of the island are probably quieter but a further walk from the main beach
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Theworldswaiting
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We stayed at Mana Island Resort for 5 nights in June for our daughter's wedding. It was amazing! A relaxing atmosphere and everyone is very friendly! We stayed in the Deluxe Ocean front Bure (4 adults) which suited us perfectly. The water was so clear which made snorkelling and scuba diving spectacular. The buffet meals had a different theme each night and the nightly entertainment in the lounge was fantastic. We all had a wonderful holiday and would definitely like to go back one day. The only downfall was the long trip across Australia from, Perth.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Ann C
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Just returned from our 10 days family holiday (5 and 3 year olds, hubby and me) from Mana Island Resort last week. To sum it up, it was just heavenly and we will definitely go back.

Location ; More than perfect. 2 beaches wrapping around the island. Both equally beautiful, plenty of tropical fish. Perfect and long white sand beaches with lots of sun and sun loungers.

Activity ; We really did nothing (in a way of day trips) except for a submarine one day. There was so much to do just within the island, we really didnt need any day trips at all which was a big draw-card for us with two small kids. Submarine was great for them to see all the sea creatures, since our kids were too little for snorkeling. We all had fun (Saw stingray, turtles, sea snakes and not to mention plentiful of tropical fish). FJD 77 for a family of four, so quite a reasonable price I thought.
You never get bored at Mana. You spend your time in the sea snorkelling&swimming, swimming pool, or just lounging by the pool or the beautiful beaches reading a book having a beer/wine or two (Add kids club to the list for kids). Go for a walk/run around the big resort, Spa. Just great. Oh, they sell new zealand ice cream at a kiosk by the swimming pool. We had ice cream just about every two days. Why not, when you are on a holiday.

Kids Club ; This was SO wonderful. My kids WANTED to go to the kids club, which was a real bonus for us so we could have a bit of no-kids relaxing time every now and then. Parent need a holiday too!!! ;) You register a kid at a cost of FJD25 (one off!), they offer 3 sessions a day (10 am-12pm, 2 pm-4pm, 7 pm-9pm). You can go as many sessions as you like. Just look at their timetable board and pick&choose which sessions your kids want to go. On average, my kids went to 2 sessions a day. 4 hours of non-kids time and the rest was family together. Was a perfect balance. Kids had a ball hunting bats&crabs&frogs, a movie night, cultural performance and craft etc etc. They made some good friends from AUS, of whom they still talk about.

Food ; We had pre-paid breakfast meals only for the duration of our stay and thought this was a perfect decision. Never needed lunch (were never hungry after big brekkie, fed kids lunch though since kids upto 5 get fed free all meals), and dinner pay as we go. Some days if kids wanted to go to the evening session kids club,we fed them free at the buffet , dropped them off at the kids club then went to South Beach a la carte. If kids wanted to stay with us for the evening, we ate together at the buffet. Some nights we werent even hungry for dinner so got some takeaway pizza (from South Beach restaurant) and shared it between the two of us. Some nights we just ate some crackers with peanut butter with wine, which we brought from home and duty free.
-brekkie pre-pay FJD 34.20, pay as you go FJD 38
-dinner pre-pay FJD 68 (or 67), pay as you go FJD 75
If you pay for a pre-pay dinner (which is for the main buffet)and decide to go to the a la carte restaurant, they give you a credit for FJD50. Where does 18 dollar disppear to then? I thought? So well, you do the math depending on your style of eating. A la carte restaurant - ambiance was good but the food is basically the same as the buffet food I thought. You just get one or two things (dish a bit hotter I suppose) rather than a million of things and pay slightly less price.

Island Transport ; We booked a ferry return (not the land transfers) and took a taxi from nadi aiport to denarua ferry terminal and back. We could have paid FJD180 extra (two adults and 1 kid, 1 infant is free) to include land transfer. But we ended up paying only about FJD 70-80 (two trips added together) by catching a taxi outiside the airport and ferry terminal ourselves. Catching a taxi wasnt an issue. Plenty.

Room ; We had a stand-alone garden bure. Was good enough. Outdoor shower was fun. If you have small kids, perhaps a good idea to take a small blow up paddle pool? So you can fill it with water so they can have a bath, since there is no bath just a shower. No issue for adults but kid sometimes like bath dont they.

Think I covered everything. Enjoy your time there, you wont regret it !! We didnt.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
17  Thank Kelly L
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We stayed at Mana Island Resort for 4 nights in June to attend the wedding of close friend and had low expectations before we arrived.

We booked in an Island Bure for the duration of our stay however were given an Oceanfront Suite for one night as our Island Bure was not ready when we arrived. It was a little disappointing to leave the big spacious suite for a small bure, however that is what we had initially booked.

The island itself is absolutely gorgeous and the beaches are stunning. However, the resort itself had a few downfalls. It is very outdated and could definitely do with a few renovations (which I believe are happening soon). The quality of the food at the buffet was disappointing to say the least and was not cheap (FJD75 per person for dinner). We barely ate at the buffet, instead choosing to eat at the a la carte restaurant on the south beach which was cheaper and had better food (still not great, but better than the buffet).

The Island Bure was a pleasant enough room with a fan and air-con. It had an outdoor shower which only had around 1min of hot water per shower, lucky it was hot and we didn't need hot showers! Also, the water across the entire resort turned off during the night until early morning. We got back to our room after attending a wedding needing a shower and couldn't - not fun!

Despite a few issues, we had an enjoyable stay at the island but this was probably more so due to the group we were with. We spent most of our time at the adult pool which was really nice, clean and not too cold. Plenty of sun lounges to accommodate a large group too. The staff at the resort were wonderful and very friendly people (as most were in Fiji).

Wifi was a little expensive on the island and the reception was not the best.

Overall, we had an enjoyable stay at the island however it could definitely do with a few modern touches.

Room Tip: Spend a little extra money and book an island bure that is not a shared hut. Bring plenty of bottled...
1  Thank NicSyd2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mana Island
Sheraton Resort & Spa, Tokoriki Island
Castaway Island Fiji
Castaway Island Fiji
#1 of 1 in Castaway Island (Qalito)
Plantation Island Resort
Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island
Tokoriki Island Resort
Tokoriki Island Resort
#1 of 2 in Tokoriki Island

Been to Mana Island Resort? Share your experiences!