“4kg heavier!, great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Mana Island Resort

Mana Island Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Mana Island
auckland
“4kg heavier!, great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2009

We have just returned from 2 and a half weeks at Mana with the only rain being on the last night. I have reviewed Mana on numerous occasions as it is a family favourite and we visit several times a year. For a change I’m not going to dwell on the amenities, beaches, snorkeling etc which reviews almost always speak highly of and I concur. With Fiji being windy the availability of white sandy beaches and great snorkeling on both sides is a feature that many resorts cant match.

So this review will focus on the food, the drinks and the prices. And I made a point of asking guests who have been to other resorts recently what they thought and also visited several again ( Tokariki, Castaway, Amanuca, Musket Cove, Plantation, Bounty and the Sofitel) on our travels over the two weeks. Now dont get me wrong its not perfect but its certainly enjoyable food and good value.

Firstly the prices here are actually cheaper than many of the other comparisons and for the life of me I can’t see how an Australian, Kiwi or American could think otherwise when VAT tax and the exchange rate is taken into account. Take the buffet dinner for example. $50 fijian if booked in advance. Take off the tax and the 20% for the exchange rate if you are a kiwi and that is around $35. On Steak and seafood or lovu night you get salmon, small lobster tails, great pork with the best crackling in the universe, beef , chicken, prawns, kokoda, scallops and a range of other dishes plus desert. How can anyone in their right mind say that is expensive? Its actually a bargain. Breakfast is in kiwi dollars not much more than $20. Bacon, sausages, tomatoes, eggs in any way you like, fresh waffles, acres of fresh fruit, pancakes, spaghetti, cereal, toast, yoghurt the list goes on. Expensive? Only if you have very bizarre expectations. Lunch options at South Beach include pizza for around $15 to $20 kiwi. Cheap for a resort. Fish and chips , hamburgers and chips around the same with a small salad. Meals at dinner South beach without boring you with details were again no more than NZ restaurant prices in kiwi dollars. And the steak was excellent as was the crumbed pork cutlet which was a huge meal. I took PDF copies of the menus if anyone wants them. (Any excuse for a beer at South Beach!). A full rate all day meal plan is around $70 kiwi. Again not much forwhat you get. $45 kiwi for breakfast and dinner. Bargain!

Which leads to alcohol. It’s also a bargain and Mana have done a fantastic job of making it affordable for kiwis and aussies who are there for 10 days or so. Net of VAT and the exchange rate a fiji bitter is around $4.75. Show me a resort in NZ where they are that cheap. Happy hour its half that. A cocktail at happy hour is $8 kiwi. Hello, that’s giving them away. A glass of bubbles normal price or chardonnay from memory was around $5.50 kiwi. The resort has made a massive effort to have affordable wines by the bottle at dinner considering the duty they pay. Lots of choices between $25 to $30 kiwi. Oyster Bay was $20 less than last year even after the devaluation they have experienced. How can you say that’s expensive? It’s not a campground bottlestore, it’s a resort. And judging by the number of very cheerful adults a night lots of guests were taking advantage of the reasonable drink prices! As an aside a bottlestore will be opening there next month.

Staff are the best. Highest bula count in fiji! Activities were well run, on time. Beaches magnificent, pools clean, grounds and landscaping the best I have seen at Mana over the years and rooms spotless. Night activities are varied and fun.
Mana is in good shape at the moment, the best for many years. Can’t wait to get back…

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
5 Thank ziggystar

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (441)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2009

We (me, hubby, 18, 16 & 15 yo teens) had the most wonderful time at beautiful Mana Island.
We stayed in 2 oceanview bures, interconnected. Right at the end of the North Beach, couldn't have asked for a more perfect spot. Not suitable for some people as it is a 5-10 min walk to ammenities, but for us it was a pleasure to walk along the path, with it's amazing view across the water.
We were quite worried about food due to reviews... I don't understand what the problem is! We had great meals at the buffet, and had two dinners & lunches at South Beach Restaurant, which were outstanding, with great friendly service. We were well fed, had plenty of time, and the view at both places were lovely.
We went snorkelling each day, at the drop off on North Beach. Spectacular snorkelling. We took small amounts of bread rolls & two minute noodles, and had fish all around us. Wonderful fun. We also went kayaking in single and doubles and catamarans were awesome fun.
Great walks to Sunset Beach and Lookout Point with wonderful views.
Staff were wonderful. Friendly, efficient and a joy to speak to. The bulas we heard from all were so friendly, and we miss those lovely people. Our teens had a kick of the football we had taken with us, on the beach out front of our bure, with some staff members. They had a great laugh. Our daughter found one of the staff later, and left her prized StKilda footy with him as a gift :)
Our rooms were cleaned beautifully everyday, with fresh flowers in bathroom and living room each time. We left a thank you note and small gift for the cleaning staff, as they were so friendly and did such a great job.
Everything we experienced at Mana was wonderful. Beginning with the friendly arrival at the jetty, the staff, the food, the cocktails ;), the activities, the views, the beach, the snorkelling, and ending with the singing at the waiting area at departure, we had a great time. Time went all too quickly, we didn't want to leave, and we will definitely return next year.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
4 Thank jassycin
New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2009

Every time I read a negative review of Mana, i can't help but think "were we at the same Island?" The kids (9 6 and 23months) had a fabulous time. The Kids Club is very well run by enthusiastic staff, and the new Mei Mei child care center was excellent - thanks ladies! Although we wouldn't use the 5 free hours a day at Mei Mei, two hours gave us enough time to have a snorkel (which is SPECTACULAR by the way) with the older children or go on a boat trip to the nearby sandbank without feeling too guilty as we knew she was having a great time (being waited on hand and foot actually). This was our second trip, and already planning our third. We easily fitted into an Island Bure, great outdoor showers and good a/c. The food is fine, if you are expecting 5 star food, go to a 5 star hotel on the mainland. Considering the location, they do a great job on the food. South beach restaurant good too, we had our last meal there this time, with the waves crashing by our table - literally. Wonderful holiday for famiies. Thanks Mana. See you soon we hope.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
4 Thank emmaNZNewZealand
Las Vegas, Nv
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2009

After having read the other reviews, it really hit home the way different people view different things. My purpose for going to Mana was to get some fabulous underwater photographs as I am a Freelance Photojournalist doing an article on the reef around Mana. I had new gear that I needed to test out and since my best dive buddy is a dive master in Fiji, I figured that would be the best place to go.

The weather was marvelous the entire time and we made some magnicifant dives. I want to especially commend the manager of the dive shop, Youshi and his dive crew for the going out of there way to be sure I had great underwater scenery to photograph, I also want to thank them for their patience with me when I hung out behind the group trying to get just the right angle for the perfect shot. They could not have been any more patient, helpful or cooperative. They made my work a breeze.

Other reviewers have put the food down, but I found it to be delicious. For breakfast there was the choice of scrambled, poached, or fried eggs, two egg vegeterian omlets, pancakes, waffels, loads of different kinds of fruits and fruit juices, toast (both white and wheat, sweet rolls, tea and coffee,and I am sure there were other things that I missed. For lunch and dinner there was a hugh variety of items--so many that I found my plate loaded at each meal and I only took 1 small spoonful of each item. The food was well prepared and delicious. I expect the people who claimed not to like the food are picky eaters who were not willing to try new and different things. I found the meals to be an adventure. Did not encounter a single thing that I didn't like and never had the same thing twice.
The rooms were clean for the most part. We did encounter a few bugs in the bathtub, but I have seen a bug or two in my bathtub at home on occassion. Just wash it down the drain and move on. The fresh flowers were a very nice touch and our room was on the beach side so we had a wonderful view from our deck. I was pleased with the accommodations.
I think I was the most impressed by the people, though. Everyone we encountered was friendly and helpful. They went out of their way to make sure were were enjoying our stay at the Mana Island resort. I really hated to leave that lovely place and can't wait to go back.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
3 Thank dixygal
Canadian
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2009

Went here for the second portion of the our honeymoon. If you want good weather go to the Mana. Only con was extremly expensive food and drinks. We discovered a backpackers resort just beside the Jetti that says COLD BEER. Go there over the course of your stay and you'll drink and eat like a king.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CanadaWinter1
Sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2009

Mana Island upon arrival was paradise as its beach North over the South is special. The view of other islands, sand and clear waters a plus. We stayed in the two story, two bedroom oceanfront suits.
The location is good but be prepared to do a lot of walking from room, beach and restaurants etc. The suites are nice but need some fixing up and they are looking tired. Not recommended for real little children as the stairs would be an issue.
The staff are very nice and try very hard but in the end for the price it really isnt good enough and I would love to return to the island but not to this hotel. The meals are at set times only and you can't get anything unless it is at the times set. Also both my husband and I got food poisoning from the buffets which were really horrible. Breakfast was not really anything to write home about. My children hardly ate anything and there wasn't enough choice. The South Beach restaurant set menu was not that great and I don't really think anything had the wow factor. I was advised before I went to Mana that this was the case so my expectations were not high. The Kids club for my 8 year old though was fantastic and the staff super. Even my 3 yr old enjoyed playing with the nanny whilst in the kids club. It costs $20 F dollars but it is worth it. Also I never paid once for babysitting as you get 5 hours free a day. Overall the visit was good but the management really need to pick it up or they will not get any return business. We only stayed 3 nights and I was really glad to leave. The next island we went to was Treasure and though the accommodations were not as nice as Mana they need to learn from them how to run a hotel as the staff, service and food was better overall.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank FishWanda
Brisbane
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2009

Resort was great. Just had a garden bure which was the most basic room but even that was very and private - love the outdoor shower. The facilities were great - a nice infinitity pool, tennis and table tennis and a lot of daily activities.

Snorkelling off two beaches is very good. I got to see two reef sharks (harmless), stingray, trigger fish (be careful of those!) and so much variety of colourful reef fish. The south beach had the best snorkelling along with a trip out in a boat to another spot near a sandbank.

The most common complaint is the food. Unfortunately have to agree - it's not great. Japanese menu options are quite tasy but generally everything is quite overpriced for fairly ordinary food.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mana Island
Bounty Island Resort
Bounty Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Bounty Island
Castaway Island Fiji
Castaway Island Fiji
#1 of 1 in Castaway Island (Qalito)
Matamanoa Island Resort
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,626 reviews
Likuliku Lagoon Resort
Likuliku Lagoon Resort
#1 of 3 in Malolo Island

Been to Mana Island Resort? Share your experiences!