“Be wary of your posessions whilst using child minders”
Review of Mana Island Resort

Mana Island Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Mana Island
Wellington, New Zealand
“Be wary of your posessions whilst using child minders”
Reviewed 9 November 2010

Whilst we had a fantastic holiday on Mana Island, we were very annoyed when the babysitter we had organised one evening stole our cellphone. We complained to the hotel and were basically fobbed off so had to ask to speak to manager. Manager eventually got the phone back but told us that the Security Guard had found it outside our room (we did not take the phone out of our room). When we received the phone back there was no SIM card in it and when we switched the phone on, the babysitters' phone numbers were still saved on it along with photos and videos of herself! We then went back to the Manager and showed him and they refunded all of the babysitting costs which we were charged. We were told that we would hear back from Mana Island but as yet we still have not. Very dissapointing.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank sonia81_10

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (443)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Napier, New Zealand
Reviewed 9 November 2010

My partner and I have just returned from a 4 day holiday at Mana. Unbelievable beyond words... we have travelled extensively in our time and we both agreed this was the best holiday to date. The location of this island is amazing, two beaches with the choice of great swimming or North Beach for snorkling. The fijian people made this trip for us, they are very welcoming and friendly people with big beautiful smiles. Everyone said Bula to us everywhere we went. After reading many reviews about the food, i would have to say we didnt have a problem at all there.. The food was fantasic, with a huge range to select from. The resort always put on some type of activities to keep you entertained night and day. The resort is well maintained and our bure 402 was situated just metres fromt the north beach. (stunning views) and we always had our own beach chairs and spot we wanted. as the resort is so big, we always felt we were on our own island and private space on the beach... we only wished we had stayed longer.. If you are plannin to go make sure your stay is no less than 7-14 days as we were very sad to leave so soon.. We will definetly be returning to Mana one day.... Beyond words!!!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank tanzgold
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 8 November 2010

We loved this island holiday, the people are so helpful and friendly, the children were so well entertained, the ladies look after them so well you never have to worry about them, they learn so many wonderful things from them, cooking, feeding fish, making ice cream, games, it gave us the break we needed and the children loved the kids club on the island, we made some wonderful new friends, had some wonderful meals and the bura was lovely. Breakfast was great and very filling with so many choices, you didn't need to have lunch after that,
Would not hesitate to go back here again,

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank athenry22
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 5 November 2010

We just had four nights at Mana Island in October, 2010, and we absolutely loved it. I had read so many very good and very bad reviews before we left that I was a little nervous about which one I'd find. Thankfully, we were more than pleasantly surprised.

We stayed in one of the hotel-style ocean view rooms. Was the room dated? Definitely. But it was clean and tidy and had everything that we needed and no more. A few ants, but that was to be expected.

As for the food, again I was nervous, but it was just fine. The buffet is a typical buffet. The food is average, but you can eat a lot of it. The breakfasts were great, especially the omelettes. We didn't bother with the buffet lunch because the breakfasts sustained us through most of the day. We did try the pizzas at the a la carte restaurant, and they were excellent. We had one dinner at the pricier a la carte restaurant, and it was very good.

The service is slow, and they're upfront about the fact that they're on "Fiji Time". It was something we got used to and even grew to appreciate because it reminded us to relax.

But the real gem of this place is the island itself. I would have stayed in a shack for the privalege of just being there. It's so beautiful. We even had rain for the half of our time there and it was still breathtaking.

I recommend walking over to Sunset Beach. It was practically deserted and had that clear, green water. I wish I was there right now.

1 Thank krissy76
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 3 November 2010

My husband and I visited Mana as a part of our honeymoon and loved it! Our bure was an island bure and although we were not direcly on the beach, we were close enough to the water and in better proximity to the other ammenities. The food at the hotel was overall good and we highly suggest getting the full meal plan as there are no other places to eat. We had the full plan and truly enjoyed our meals in the restaurant with the menu. The buffets were also fine and contained standard items. While we did not participate in the activities, there were for sure many options for all different interests.

I also enjoyed a massage (traditional Fiji style) and highly recommend it to others. The overall spa exoperience was very enjoyable and the setting is so relaxing.

The staff were very friendly, from the time of arrival right until you depart on the boat to the main land.

A beautiful place to visit and experience FIJI!

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 2 November 2010

This was our second and final destination in Fiji. We started out at a B&B in Taveuni (beautiful). We chose Mana on the recommendation of a travel agent but I was unsure based on some of the reviews here.

I'm going to run it down and try to just give observations sp you can decide.

As far as scenic beauty it is definitely the stereotypical white sand beaches and beautiful waters!!! This is why we selected this area and on this we were not disappointed.

When we arrived we were informed that our requested room type (the one offering 2 beds) was unavailable and we had been complimentary upgraded. It was also let slip by the check in agent that they thought we were a couple when this was done as we were moved to a room with a King bed.
I was traveling with my best friend (so two single females traveling alone) as a belated 40th b'day present to myself. Now no offense but we made reservations way in advance and requested 2 beds wouldn't that have been a pretty good indication? We decided to just stay in the upgraded room and share the bed, and after seeing the room we were going to be in, even with how awful I room ended up being I still know that was a good choice!!!

The rooms that they have set aside with 2 single beds are minuscule, and in terrible shape. I didn't need to venture any further that the door frame, but unfortunately I did! If you can avoid it... Don't stay in these, unless you are used to backpackers and then I guess this would be an upgrade, but for the price difference I think I recommend "down grading" back to the backpackers!

The room we ended up in 406 (I believe) was a stand alone bure with a very nice view of the ocean. Unfortunately the deck had a broken board that made it a hazard and you had to be very careful when you walked on it.

You had two scensory first impression walking in, the first was visual which the room was very large and roomy, the second was the SMELL!!! It smelled like a moldy East Coast cellar, or a men's locker room. It was bad and turning on the swamp cooler just made it worse!

The room had a serious ant problem, they were kind enough to provide ant spray but every day the bathroom would get taken over by them!

Our first day we decided to do some laundry in the bathtub, later found out they had a washroom, but the water was grey!!! I know our clothes were NOT that dirty... Which kinda made us feel unclean the remainder of the trip and we used bottled water to brush our teeth!

And my final issue with the room, the beds... Very uncomfortable! And the linen smelled like dirty mop water. Which if all the water is grey, kind of makes since. You couldn't pull the sheets up near your face and our only saving grace was that we had brought our own pillows from home, as I'm don't know how I could have put my head on one of theirs!

The fact that two girls were traveling alone is apparently very ODD and we were met with some discrimination, they thought we were a couple, even though we are both straight, until we discovered that it was easier to be "sisters" (luckily we look somewhat alike). We would regularly not receive drink service (tea, alcohol, etc.) at meal times. Oh and if, you request water or an un-alcoholic drink at dinner the staff does nothing to disguise their displeasure in this and they WILL NOT follow up with a second refill or to see if you wanted something else. Theyissed out on many alcohol sales because we drink water with dinner but then like to drink after that. Oh well we just walked to the bar.

The food although plentiful is just mediocre. And the "High End"- restaurant that required reservations had terrible service and poor food. I'm used to island time... I'm not talking island time service! Talking BAD.

The activities were fun, but often we would show for something only to be told it was "too hot for beach volleyball"... I would later find out that they didn't have any volleyballs. There are a number of walks/hikes around the island/resort which are very nice and I recommend if you like those types of activities.

We did not experience the kids club but was told it was good, but on this same note, if you are looking for a location without children definitely NOT the place because they are everywhere. I love kids but it did become annoying having them running around or crying every night as you were trying to eat. And unfortunately many parents seem to think that when they go on vacation that means their parental responsibilities do too as well as common curteousy.

Almost done :-)

One of the saddest things is how the owners of Mana (a Japanese company I'm told) handles the backpackers location and the local village. They are fenced off in what feels like a concentration camp! We ventured over there and even passing through the "check point" we were identified and advised we shouldn't go and to come right back.

We hear that an American or Australian company is building a new smaller resort on the other side of the island. I might consider checking that out. I love the island. Just really didn't care for Mana...

• Stayed October 2010
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 28 October 2010

This is a huge resort, not for solo people or couples wanting to 'get away from it all'. Weddings are an industry here, there were 3 on one day we were there and thus small groups of Aussie's drinking around the bar.
You arrive at a pier, and don't have to get off the ferry onto a smaller boat, unlike at some of the other resorts.
A highlight was the excellent snorkelling off north and south beaches, we saw large schools of fish as well as the smaller colourful ones. The beaches have great facilities like the bars and chairs/thatched shelters. All equipment for the beachsports is also available.
The garden bure room was huge, tasteful and clean.
We saw a very professional 'Meke' there.
We were really disappointed with the south beach restaurant, it gets overbooked and we felt like we were being pushed through. There is a noisy generator to one side of the restaurant, not at all a romantic setting.
Not an authentic Fiji experience, but a great place for families or anyone not wanting to do any thinking/planning whilst on holiday.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mana Island
Tadrai Island Resort
Tadrai Island Resort
#2 of 2 in Mana Island
Castaway Island Fiji
Castaway Island Fiji
#1 of 1 in Castaway Island (Qalito)
Plantation Island Resort
Plantation Island Resort
#3 of 3 in Malolo Lailai Island
Sheraton Resort & Spa, Tokoriki Island
Sheraton Resort & Spa, Tokoriki ...
#2 of 2 in Tokoriki Island
Tokoriki Island Resort
Tokoriki Island Resort
#1 of 2 in Tokoriki Island
Matamanoa Island Resort
Matamanoa Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Matamanoa Island

Been to Mana Island Resort? Share your experiences!