“Only one word to sum up this Resort = AMAZING”

Matamanoa Island Resort
Australia
“Only one word to sum up this Resort = AMAZING”
Reviewed 16 June 2010

We stayed here on our Honeymoon for 4 days. It just wasn't long enough. The Fijians on this island were the most beautiful natured people I have ever come across. There are so many activities to do and they staff really get involved. The food was top class. The band were amazing. There's nothing negative i could say about Matamanoa Island. We can't wait to get back there. We felt sad to leave.

Thankyou to the Staff at Matamanoa Island, we'll see you soon

Darren & Kelli xx

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank kellim2010

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
Ringwood, Australia
Reviewed 10 June 2010

We spent our honeymoon on Matamanoa in May - it was the perfect destination. Beautiful clear blue warm water with amazing snorkelling straight off the beach. We stayed in a beach front bure on the sunset side of the island - a great choice although the bures on the sunrise side had great views too. The hotel is small with only 60 guests at the most, no children, no tv, no phones (one pay phone if you need to make a call) and reasonable speed internet in the office if you have to stay in touch. We spent 8 nights there and could easily have stayed for another few. You can be busy with sailing, snorkelling, swimming, diving, canoeing, or any of the other organised activities - or you can just lay by the pool and relax. Breakfast was included in our room price. We found dinner to be reasonably priced and the food was good quality. This isn't the place to go for lots of excitement but if you are looking for a relaxing time, in quiet surroundings, then this is a great place. Take the helicopter flight at least one way between the island and tha mainland - the view is great and it's 20 mins to the airport. The people are friendly and if you go to Matamanoa, say hi to Kama for us!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank DebandAndrew
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 8 June 2010

My family had an awesome time at Matamanoa Island Resort. We hadn't waited 10 mins at Nadi Airport before we were whisked away to our awaiting helicopter, accepting a complimentary drink from the operators. I would definitely recommend taking the chopper, we took the boat back at the end of our trip and that was good too, but he helicopter flight over the beautiful blue water and striking islands was incredible.

When we arrived at Matamanoa Island we simply stepped off the chopper and were led to our waiting complimentary cocktails, while the staff serenaded us with a lovely welcoming song and took care of our luggage. Our room was spacious and clean and tidy, with beautiful artwork all over the roof and rafters inside. It was no problem for the resort to organise us an extra bed either. We had a beachfront bure, and spent many hours relaxing in our hammock, looking out to sea. You can definitely walk right out of your bure onto the white beach and snorkel in the coral that's metres from your room. We found the beds to be comfortable, was tea and coffee making facilities, the shower and bathroom was huge and elegantly marble.

We also used the library (which I found to be well stocked), internet, tennis court, ping pong table, infinity pool, and dive shop snorkel gear, all which worked really well. I live on the Great Barrier Reef, but the snorkelling at Matamanoa was awesome, I just wish I had more time there to enjoy it. The water was very warm, and I saw numerous species of fish, and brilliant coral and starfish. We took advantage of the activities on offer at the resort, going fishing twice, on the guided snorkel, scuba diving, kayaking, and moutain hiking. Despite not expecting to get anything fishing (being a complete ametuer) , I caught two fish and an octopus on our fishing trips, while the staff member taking us seemed to pull in fish every two minutes!! If you get a big one, which is not unlikely, you can have it cooked for your dinner that night. I would also definitely advise on hiking to the top of the mountain, it's a brilliant view, definitely worth it, but it is straight up, a difficult but very short climb, even the very unfit could manage. You can take a guided walk but we didn't bother.

I wouldn't recommend the village trip, we didn't go and those that did said it's highly commercialised, not about seeing a traditional fijian village, just about people trying to sell as much pottery as the can to you, which is fair enough, but not what some expect.

But don't miss the village church choir concert, they're incredible and the sound is just magical.

I can't understand some of the complaints re the food. It was definitely of higher quality than I expected, very fresh seafood and fruits available, and it was of the standard that you'd expect in a higher class restaurant. Definitely try the crepe suzette, they'll make it at your table with flames and all! I though the food and especially service at the restaurant exceeded expectations.

You really feel like you've joined a family when you stay at Matamanoa. All of the staff were welcoming, caring, and definitely enjoying their work. And you get used to saying Bulla many times a day. From the welcoming song, to the impromtu fijian lessons, to the very sad farwell ballad, to the over and above service, Matamanoa Island is by far the best holiday I have ever had.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
6 Thank Sk8r_Girl_87
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 12 May 2010

We went here for our honeymoon and absolutely loved it. It was the most beautiful and relaxing holiday that I've ever had.

The island itself is gorgeous. You can walk straight off the beach into the most amazing snorkelling that kept us entertained for hours. They also do a couple of (free) daily snorkelling trips where you go to another location near the island for a couple of hours.

The diving was absolutely amazing. The visibility was excellent and the Fijian dive masters were very safe and responsible. It was funny when the divemaster told us we were going to have to take a long boat ride to the dive site and we were there in 10min (other dive sites we went to were only a 2min boat from the island!).

The pool is lovely but fairly small (but we spent most of our time swimming at the beach anyway). The pool deck is beautiful with an uninterrupted view of the gorgeous water and nearby islands.

There are various activities like tennis, snorkelling, kayaking and catamaraning which are all free and well as some day trips which you can pay for like fishing, sailing, trips to nearby islands etc.

We found the food to be excellent. Simple but healthy with lots of fresh vegetables. The free afternoon tea is also a good time to replenish on some cakes after a hard day of lying by the pool!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank LondonMel
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 5 May 2010

I was in awe when I arrived and am still amazed we were so fortunate to have vacationed to Matamanoa. I have traveled the world and I honestly must share that the Fijian people there are the nicest I have come across. The island is spectacularly scenic, and has breathtaking sunrises and sunsets. The activities are plenty. We did scuba, snorkeling, kayaking, offshore fishing, reef fishing, surfing, and a day trip to Monoriki where they filmed Castaway. Its fantastic not having kids there, so many of the couples are celebrating honeymoons, anniversaries, or birthdays. We met some super friendly and fun Aussies, Irish, New Zealand, and British couples. After a couple days of relaxing, everyone is all about having fun there. We had so much fun that the days went by so quick.

The bures were super clean with nice AC and a hammock I could spend all day in. The pool is perfect for chilling out with a drink and enjoying the infinity view, or taking a private scuba lesson. The food there is more than enough. We brought snacks, but never opened them, as we were on the meal plan and ate like kings. Try the Ika Kokoda everyday for lunch and dinner appetizer, oh man is it good!

The assistant manager there named Tema will take care of any needs you have. She even arranged for some medicine to come in from the main land for us same day. The music there is what separates their staff from other places I have been. From the moment you land on the beach they serenade you with the bula welcome song. In the evenings the group of 3-4 led by the talented and super great guy Oni, walk the bures and play lovely Fijian music. At dinner they play before, during, and after, and even take special requests. I gave them my Ipod for a day so they could learn a new love song, and they played it at dinner for my wife. Talk about making the special effort! Also the local village choir that sings on Sunday evenings will bring tears to your eyes. They are unbelievable. Lastly its a nice touch that every evening the staff sings both welcome and farewell fijian songs to all the guests who have arrived or leave the next day.

At night after dinner, it is really entertaining. Oni and his buddies lead a different fun activity each night. Probably the funnest are the International Crab Races and the Mr. and Ms. Matamanoa contests.

The diving couple and staff there are really good. Rae and David gave me and my wife a couple private lessons (first of which is free) in the pool and then we went out to a couple different locations. They brought along their camera and got some fantastic underwater shots. They are a fun couple and their staff Colly and Vorra were also super helpful taking us surfing and to castaway.

I'd definitely recommend the massages on the beach in the evenings. A great way to relax before dinner. Not that you won't be relaxed, but its a nice feeling. With only 18 or so bures there it never felt crowded so it is the perfect size.

Just typing this makes me want to go back there sooner than later. I can't wait for that day. Such a special place in our hearts.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Grande_Doug
BC
Reviewed 4 May 2010

We stayed at Matamanoa for one week on our honeymoon. We stayed in bure #17 which is on the sunset side of the island. We enjoyed watching the sun set in the lounge chairs provided just outside our bure. The bure was clean and well maintained. Loved that no kids are allowed on the island. It was mainly couples on the island

The food
Breakfast-loved that there was a big variety at breakfast including a hot breakfast if you wanted.
Lunch-disliked that it is the same menu every day of the week. Some items on the menu were better than others.
Supper-supper I would say is average. In general supper was pretty good and the menu was changed every night; however, the choices on the menu are limted. We disliked how on Sundays it is a buffet with mainly seafood. The buffet did not appeal to me and my husband because we are not seafood fans but may appeal to those that do like it. It would have been nice if you had also been given the option to order from a menu if you wanted.

Activities
The daily snorkelling trips were great. Each day they took you to a different location so you did not go to the same place twice in a row. There was many different species of fish to see and if you are lucky you may see a few squid lingering on the edge of the coral reef.
We went on the guided mountain hike which was well worth it. There is a spectacular view from the top of the island. After that we went on the hike ourself several times during our stay.
The beach was nice and if you wanted you could go snorkelling from the beach in certain locations. Not sure how good the snorkel gear was that they provide because we brought our own gear with us.
The band boys were terrific and played every night at dinner. They can play just about any request. They would also go around to the different bures at night and offer to play any requests that you may have.
We would definitely go back to Matamanoa again.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sunfunbc
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 3 May 2010

I recently went to the island with my partner and 3 other couples to celebrate a friend's birthday. Our 5 night stay felt like a month in the best possible way - it was so relaxing!

On arrival the staff sang a beautiful traditional welcome song and ushered our bags to our room and we could tell we were in paradise. At dinner on our first night we were all welcomed with more singing from the superb house band, and our last night - by which point we felt part of the family - was given the same pomp and ceremony. We were even waived off with a little song. The house musicians definitely made the trip for us. They started playing music at about 6.30pm and carried on until the bar closed at 11pm, taking requests and mixing traditional music with pop classics new and old. It was just a few guys, a couple of guitars, a bass & some bongos and it really set the island scene.

The island only has a small number of rooms so if you're looking for a quiet and private break it's ideal. Apart from meal times you don't really even bump into other guests. People are spread along beach sunbathing, taking a dip in the pool, exploring the island, or taking in one of the complimentary activities.

You could collect snorkelling equipment on arrival and head out whenever you liked to check out the reef surrounding the island. Or you could hop on a kayak or small sail boat or book onto a line fishing trip. A couple of the boys in our group paid for the proper fishing trip and caught some whoppers which the restaurant cooked up for dinner for us. Some of the gang booked for diving but weren't overly impressed by the dive team. I was considering giving their free lesson in the pool a go but they were a bit to full on with their sales pitch. If you found yourself at a loose end there always seemed to be staff around to give you a game of ping pong or beach volley ball. Then again you could always just relax on the beach or by the pool with a good book and work on your tan.

We had some delicious food during our stay - the Ika Kokoda, snapper, steaks, & chicken burgers where particular highlights. You MUST try the Crepe Suzette & Ceasar Salads which are prepared at the table - excellent. The local fish dishes tended to be a bit dry and you had to get up early if you wanted pancakes for breakfast, but there was a great selection of fresh fruit, cereals and eggs however you like them.

The staff made a real fuss of our friend on her birthday and we all treated ourselves to massages on the beach which I can't recommend enough - the spa staff where superb.

We stayed in the garden rooms which are fairly basic but absolutely fine - particularly considering you're mostly out enjoying the sunshine - and perfect for our budget. Our friends stayed in the beach front bures which I'd definitely recommend if you're looking for something special and don't mind spending a little extra. They were very modern and had steps down onto the beach, a hammock to swing in and lots of room for us to pop over and enjoy a cocktail.

In the evenings after dinner if you were looking for entertainment you could hang around at the bar for charades, silly games, or karaoke. None of the entertainment was amplified so if it's not your thing you could easily hang out in your hammock and listen to the waves crashing. And then of course there was Kava time....!

I would highly recommend Matamanoa Island for any couples looking for a relaxing getaway.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Likuliku Lagoon Resort
#1 of 3 in Malolo Island
Castaway Island Fiji
Castaway Island Fiji
#1 of 1 in Castaway Island (Qalito)
Sheraton Resort & Spa, Tokoriki Island
Sheraton Resort & Spa, Tokoriki ...
#2 of 2 in Tokoriki Island

Been to Matamanoa Island Resort? Share your experiences!