“Fantastic holiday”

Castaway Island Fiji
Reviewed 29 November 2013

Everything was perfect. Went with a large group of 11 including 4 kids under 9. Kids had an amazing time. Food was superb and value for money with the meal deal. Asian fusion meal was the highlight. Hand line fishing was a hit. Kids club great. Snorkelling was really good. Beach gear was excellent quality and plentiful. Only bad thing- had to leave! The staff were beautiful and made the holiday great.

Room Tip: Beach front rooms best if you can afford them.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 19 November 2013

Castaway island was the most amazing experience I have ever had. The staff were absolutly fantastic, caring, helpful and loving. The whole atmosphere of castaway island was unreal. Definatly the best holiday I have ever had, hands down. I will be returning next year without a doubt. Have found my new holiday destination.

• Stayed: November 2013
5  Thank kezza_9090
Reviewed 10 November 2013

After just returning from 6 nights (2 Adults & 1 x 4yr old boy), we would highly recommend castaway to any family. This place is absolutely amazing.
We stayed in beach bure #37 on the south beach which was way beyond our expectations. Un-interrupted sea views, beautiful sunsets & surrounded by coconut trees.
A lot of people here tend to recommend the north beach because it is too windy but we tend to disagree. It is much quieter and while we stayed Was not as windy as north beach. Rooms are modern & very comfortable. Food was excellent quality and wood fired pizzas are a must.
Now the staff! They are some of the most warmest friendliest people we have ever met, making you feel right @ home from the minute you arrive. Kids club staff are also great treating children like one of their own & nothing is ever a problem. Especially Dan in the waters edge restaurant, a true gentleman.

Thank you Castaway Island Team, we will defiantly be back.

Room Tip: Beach Bure #37 is located on the south beach is a great location.Full sea views & in our opinion...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank DAS1976
Reviewed 22 October 2013

From the moment we could see this beautiful island in the distance to when it was time to leave, we could not fault Castaway Island Resort. I'll start with how beautiful the island is. The water is so clear and beautiful, you can see tropical fish swimming while standing on the sand. As a group we took thousands of photos so we never forget how pretty it actually is.

We went in a larger group of 4 families, 8 adults and 5 kids. (1 older couple, 1 couple no kids, 1 couple 2 kids, 1 couple with 3 kids). We each had our own Island Bure which were immaculate, private, air conditioned, spacious & relaxing.

The resort is beautiful and clean, with pretty and well maintained gardens. We got the all inclusive food package which was more than enough and the food was consistently delicious. I was pregnant whilst there and and felt perfectly safe eating all of the fresh island produce and freshly caught meat. The island has its own desalination plant offering guests pure drinking water.

The staff at the resort went above and beyond as you would expect, how so many of them can remember your name amazes me. The resort offers a multitude of activities and trips so there is no way you can get bored. The kids club was very handy and the staff look after the kids very well. You can also hire nannies for $FJ8 an hour.

Overall we had a very magical trip and hope to return one day. Thank you Castaway Island Resort!

Room Tip: We stayed in Island Bure #60 which was really nice. All the rooms are detached and quiet private, th...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Sarah D
Reviewed 15 October 2013

My husband and two boys (4 and 6) spent 5 nights on Castaway Island in March 2013. I have pondered my feelings about this stay for some time before writing a review to ensure I was not being unfair but overall I would have to say I was a little disappointed with Castaway. One arrival we were greeted by a staff singing but they were not overly enthusiastic and then we were taken to a waiting area where we were given a drink and processed for check in. All of the other families were taken their bures and we were left for around 20-30 minutes. In the end I had to go and ask someone to help us but there were no apologies or niceties involved. This probably summarised most of the experience. I know that people harp on about Fiji time but it was not the time involved that was a problem, it was the general manner, lack of information, lack of enthusiasm and even basic courtesy. That said, the staff at the kids club were lovely and very helpful. The bure was adequate but for a resort of this standard a little disappointing in terms of space, privacy to the toilet etc. The food was a high standard but unfortunately my husband and I both caught some kind of tummy bug that lasted for days (and after we returned home) and as I understand we were not the only ones. I heard a number of people complaining about being unwell and the nurse attributed this to the "change in weather" which I find a bit hard to believe. There was just a general vibe missing from the place and attention to detail was a bit slack. Finally, I went to the main reception on day 2 of my 5 days stay and requested a massage booking but was told that the massage staff were booked out for the duration of our stay and that was that. No apologies, no trying to fit me in, nothing. The island itself is lovely, the water is beautiful but I think they need to take the standard up a few notches. Maybe they are becoming complacent? .

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
13  Thank Tracey T
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Lovely and caring staff who absolutely love kids. Yummy and good variety of food. Management even throws a cocktail party and welcomes everyone. One downfall was the paper based receipt system they have but we were advanced that they are looking at a electronic system. Really well organised dive activities. No TV in rooms but we honestly didn't miss it.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Sillycupcakes
Reviewed 3 October 2013

This was my first trip to Castaway, I went with my 3 year old daughter and a friend with her child. I previously went to Plantation Island
The pluses -
great main beach, surprisingly good snorkelling and fun to kayak around the island.
very good a la carte and fusion food (even when compared to Sheraton)
Good selection of venues for meals
nice kids pool and nice adults pool
very flexible babysitting arrangements ($8 FJD/hr)
very nice spacious and clean bures, very comfortable
didnt feel like a crowded resort
minuses -
Staff just seem a bit 'over it' not particularly enthusiastic about anyone or anything.
Kids club - no where near the amazing level of fun/creativity and energy as Plantation Island kids club. The actual room is pretty small, not airconditioned and not great. Staff are good with the kids, but there is a palpable feeling of boredom.
fun activities kids could enjoy - ie crab racing were on late at night so they missed out
No system inplace to organise guests for day trips. I wanted to island hop but you needed at least 6 people to go and there was no way of finding other companions to get the trip going. I suggest an activity sign up board, out near the reception, where guests can register their interest in a day trip and then potentially find others who would like to join them. Basically this is a big advertisement, instead of putting your name down in a book at the activities desk and praying someone else might come along and enquire about the same trip.

Overall an enjoyable and relaxing holiday in a lovely setting. Much higher standard then Plantation Island - except on staff friendliness and helpfulness - on PI every one knew my daughter by name in about 3 days. Here - no one welcomed you by name at meal times. Considerably more expensive then PI but well worth it for the beach/snorkelling/ food and accom!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
10  Thank kvmac
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castaway Island (Qalito)
Tropica Island Resort
#1 of 3 in Malolo Island
Malolo Island Resort
Malolo Island Resort
#2 of 3 in Malolo Island

Been to Castaway Island Fiji? Share your experiences!