“Great atmosphere, friendly staff and lots to do (or not!)”

Castaway Island Fiji
Sydney, Australia
“Great atmosphere, friendly staff and lots to do (or not!)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

We were welcomed to Castaway Island by the staff saying 'welcome home' which was a nice touch and made us feel relaxed straight away. We arrived early and the reception staff were more than willing to get our room ready for us as soon as possible (we had to wait only 15minutes or so). The bures are airconditioned, well equipped, good sized and very well placed (we had an Ocean Front bure). Although the island has an overwhelmingly family-feel, we were a couple looking for relaxation and managed to satisfy ourselves completely. There is an adult pool as well as a children's pool and plenty of beach space for everyone! One the first night (wednesday) there was a traditional Fijian Meke with all the kids doing a little dance and the opportunity to speak to the staff and the head chef who is an Australian and loves to talk and tell you all about anything you want to know!

There are 5 restaurants all offering pretty decent food (the food package is over priced though, we stuck to pay as you go) with 1808 definitely being the favourite. we had the buffet one night which wasn't great (but i personally think buffets rarely offer great food).

The staff were super super friendly and eager to help. we felt like we'd made friends in our short 3 day visit. I would definitely recommend Castaway as one of the better places to stay in Fiji and if I'm to go back to Fiji I would definitely go back here.

Room Tip: Ocean front bures offer proximity to the ocean without having to fork out the considerable extra to...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank xcinderelliex
karenmarvell, Director of Sales at Castaway Island Fiji, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Bula and thanks for your review. Great to see some couples providing feedback as we don't just cater to families and your post is testament to that. Sorry you found the meal plan to not be as good value as pay as you go. I guess it depends how much you eat. Currently the meal plan is F$129 + 20% taxes per day which is AUD$89 for three meals and you can have entrees, mains and desserts for lunch and dinner. We feel its well priced considering the quality and the level of imports we need to operate, however we appreciate your feedback and take this on board.
The position of the bure is very often mentioned here and with all bures being in close proximity to the two lovely beaches, we agree that all accommodation options are good ones! We do hope you will come back and enjoy a longer stay with the Castaway family next time. Vinaka and regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

We loved our family holiday to Castaway Island (29th May 14--> 1 June14) ... the only sad thing was that we didn't stay long enough!! From the welcome to our departure, everything was superb, especially the staff. Our youngest son is quite a handful but the staff were so wonderful with him and I'm sure he tested their patience - but you would never had known. Our eldest son is 10years and he had the most wonderful time on the learners dive course with the dive team. Snorkelling off the beach and out on the reef was excellent as were all the other water sports available. Special memories and we will definitely be back!

Room Tip: They are all good rooms. The Island Bure's are not far from the beach and its a lovely wee walk.
2 Thank 99CJB
karenmarvell, Director of Sales at Castaway Island Fiji, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Bula 99CJB
Lovely to read you enjoyed your time and built happy family memories with our Castaway family. Our sincere thanks for taking the time to post a review and we hope you won't leave it too long to return to your new home away from home
Vinaka!
Gold Coast, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

This is our second trip to castaway but this time we stayed as a group of 6adults and 4children (under the age of 3yrs). The resort has a more rustic feel about it compared to the 5star resorts on Denarau, which we loved. Rooms were comfortable and clean, i love the design on the ceilings, The beach is beautiful and great for the kids. We actually didnt make it to the swim up bar as we were having plenty of fun in the family pool and the staff at the poolside restaurant were on the ball! - especially Kitty, remember all the kids each time we came past. Babysitting and kids club services made our 2night stay all the more enjoyable! We packed in swimming, snorkelling, stand up paddle boarding, bush walking, glass bottom boat ride and the boys even snuck off to do a bit of successful handline fishing. The meal plan is definately good value, impressive breakfast buffet, awesome pizza's and lovely items on the a 'la carte menu. Only disappointment, was one restaurant closed.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Bula Khalf 83, sounds like you had a great holiday! The '1808' Asian/Fijian Fusion restaurant is a 'pop up' dining experience, with sand as the floor and the stars as the ceiling, so it unfortunately is dependent on the weather being calm and dry to operate. We're sorry on this occasion that you didn't get a chance to dine at 1808 and hope you'll be back again when we can showcase this menu. Appreciate your feedback. Vinaka
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

After spending one night on Denarau Island, and then a week at Castaway, I would advise anyone to just get as much time at Castaway as possible!

Upon arriving at Castaway Island in the rain, we were greeted by a group of staff with guitars and vocals that moved you. Our son refused to walk on the sand so a gentleman quickly scooped him up and carried him ashore with a beaming smile. From that moment on I knew we were in the right place. Once you adjust to "fiji time" and don't expect super fast efficiency and let yourself relax into the happy peaceful calm way of life here, nothing will bother you. Everything is done with love and a smile.

Within 2 days, ever staff member knew my children's names, and my children were thrilled to talk to every person (unusual for them!!) Whilst they wouldn't stay in kids club, the staff would still play with out kids on the beach or around the restaurant area. It was truly an incredible thing to watch as kids were simply allowed to be kids!

The food was fresh and fabulous every day with plenty of options so you didn't get bored. The free water craft equipment was in good condition and there was always plenty available. The kids pool was one of the larger ones I've seen, but I must say it was rather cold, so the beach was far more useful. The snorkelling was some of the best I've ever seen. The fresh coconuts from the trees, the daytime activities for adults as well as kids. Housekeeping was at random times, but the cleanliness was spectacular. I just can't fault this holiday destination.

The only thing that may have been a little confusing was what is or isn't included in the meal plan, especially for the kids. WE were quite relaxed about this but if you were trying to be sure that you weren't ordering extras or charged for additional ice cream etc, then this may have been tricky to keep track of.

We did have a beach bure and it was spectacular. To save costs, you certainly could take an island bure as the walk to the beach would be a mere extra 50 metres. Not a problem at all.

Room Tip: The north facing bure have a less wind, but are less private as water sports and daily activities ta...
2 Thank Snoopstah33
karenmarvell, Director of Sales at Castaway Island Fiji, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Bula Snoopstah33!
We can't tell you how lovely it is to read that your time spent at Castaway was the 'best family holiday ever'. We've said before, we don't try to be glamorous and you've picked up on exactly what Castaway is all about. We aim to provide a place that is far away from what the rest of the world is these days. Where your family is welcomed into the Castaway family and people (couples or families) can disconnect with technology in order to reconnect with each other. Great to know you found the bures to be clean, the food fresh and inviting and the snorkelling good too. We have families that come back year after year, often in the same week and have done so for many years. Their kids have now grown into adults and bring their children. Quite often, we have 4 generations in one family, continuing on with their family tradition annual holiday at Castaway Island, Fiji. This is the stuff that builds wonderful family memories and helps to remind us to take time out to simply spend time playing in the sand with each other. All the very best to you and your family and we look forward to welcoming you back home again next year.
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

We just returned from an amazing visit to Castaway-beautiful island, great food and wonderful staff members. The water activities were great! Bure was perfect and well maintained. If you are looking for a fantastic way to experience Fiji, there is no comparision. Our only downside was that we didn't stay long enough! Special thanks to the dive shop team- Jerry, Irava, Freddy and Ben.
Thanks again for a great time. Hope to come back in the future!
Anita and Erin M.

Room Tip: The island bure was great!
3 Thank Anita M
karenmarvell, Director of Sales at Castaway Island Fiji, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Bula Anita, Thanks for your review. Great to read you found your true paradise at Castaway Island, Fiji. We agree our Dive and Activities Team are second to none. They are very professional, show great care and empathy to all levels of divers and know exactly where to take our guests for the very best in Fiji Islands diving - all within relatively close range of the resort too. We have passed on your thanks and regards to the team. We sincerely hope you will return from Seattle to visit your Castaway family again in the future. Best regards from us all.
Terrigal, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

This was our first visit to Castaway for my wife and I and two children aged 4yrs and 2 yrs. After reading other reviews you always make that booking with some intrepidation. After spending 5 nights on the island I can say I have 1 regret, and that is I only booked 5 nights. We spent a total of 2 weeks in Fiji at 3 different resorts and I can say that Castaway was by far the standout.

From the moment we arrived to our warm welcome on the beach to our farewell 5 days later I can say the hospitality from every staff member was outstanding. Yes there were some exceptional standouts within the staff, however all staff were pleasant, courteous and showed pride in showcasing their island home and hospitality to us. I particularly remember arriving and going to lift my son from he boat as one of our Fijian host moved me aside and said relax Sir, you're on holidays as he swooped up both my boys and landed them on the beach.

We had an Oceanview bure, which was in a great position and very comfortable for the 4 of us. The bure was very clean and well maintained. Beach towels were supplied in the bure which may seem insignificant, however after experiencing the regimental control of beach towels at other resorts on the mainland this was welcomed as he kids just wanted to swim all day and not having to return towels by 6.30pm to disinterested staff watching their watch from 6.00pm, was great.

My kids made some great friends and swam all day everyday. We were able to experience all the island had to offer with swimming and snorkelling at South beach and swimming at north beach as well as kayaking. The island has two great swimming pools, one dedicated to kids/families and the other for adults which allows children with parents if they don't disturb the tranquility of this pool.

In respect to the food, we chose the meal package which I think was great value for money. The standard and variety of food available was exceptional and if you think I'm exaggerating, those who have spent a week in Denarau will know what I mean. For the 5 nights we were there my wife and I dined on a different menu each night. We had a buffet 2 nights, with 1 buffet being the Meke show night buffet which was great to experience some traditional cuisine. We also dined at 1808 which was outstanding and watch a sunset from the sundowner bar with wood fired pizzas another night. I was fortunate enough to celebrate my birthday on the island which was an experience in itself when all the restaurant staff sang the Fijian Happy Birthday to me, while the chef had baked the most amazing chocolate mud cake with chocolate ganache coating. After having the buffet breakfast and various choices for lunch and dinner, I can not understand how some reviews complain about small servings or quality of food.

We ate as a family on he first night at the buffet and then checked out the kids club. Needless to say my wife and I enjoyed the next 4 nights dinning alone as the kids wanted to be fed by 6.00pm and off to the kids club from the second day, they didn't even want to do pizza with us as they were happy enough with the buffet.

We all enjoyed ourselves so much at Castaway that our following week at the Sheraton Denarau was always going to be compared to our first week at Castaway and sadly the Sheraton fell short in many aspects.

My family and I are looking forward to our next trip to Castaway which is in the planning, but for now I can not recommend Castaway enough for a great family getaway or even for couples.

Room Tip: Not telling, I want our bure available next time, however I don't think there would be a bad bur...
6 Thank Sean T
karenmarvell, Director of Sales at Castaway Island Fiji, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Bula Sean
We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to write this review. The Castaway family take great pride in their work and their care is very genuine. Its so lovely to hear from you that you valued this experience and to know it enhanced your overall holiday. We believe that Castaway Island should remain as close to a natural environment as possible, whilst still providing some of the comforts of home. Our intent is not to be glamorous - we leave that to some of the other resorts who do it very well. Castaway Island is a place where you can relax with your loved ones in a welcoming environment that is distinctly Fijian and it just happens to be on the most beautiful private island in the Mamanucas. It is heart warming to read that you experienced everything we strive so hard to deliver. Please don't leave it too long to come back and visit your Castaway family again.
A big vinaka vaka levu to you (thank you very much) from us all.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

Wow what an amazing place. I am definitely hooked and I absolutely love Castaway Island. Although our stay was short (only 3 nights) I now wish we had booked for a longer stay. The bure was perfect for my family and the beds were so comfortable. The food was lovely and most of the staff were lovely (my 11 month old was a hit amongst all the staff – I can’t believe how much they love babies.) Our days flew by spending the hours by the pool or the beach and I took the bushwalk up to the top of the island which has stunning views. The housekeeping were so diligent and left our rooms beautifully each morning (they must time it so they know when we have breakfast as we returned to a spotless room each time – very impressive!) We will be back.

1 Thank Marissa P
Bula Marissa,
We are so happy to know that you and your family enjoyed your time at Castaway. Vinaka for taking the time to let everyone know your feedback. We really hope you will return soon and join the long list of returnees who come back year after year to enjoy the Castaway magic. Did you know that over 40% of our guests are returnees?
Vinaka and warm regards from the Castaway family.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castaway Island (Qalito)
Lomani Island Resort
Matamanoa Island Resort
Matamanoa Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Matamanoa Island
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,024 reviews

Been to Castaway Island Fiji? Share your experiences!