“NICE ENOUGH”

Castaway Island Fiji
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I have just returned after 3 nights at Castaway. The island and beach are beautiful and the food pretty good. The pool areas are also pretty good and the bures quite nice with the "island feel". I had my 7 and 9 year old grandsons with me and they enjoyed the free non motorised water activities as well as the 1 night they went to kids club. The staff at the kids club were probably the nicest of all the staff at the resort as I found most the other staff nowhere near as friendly as at the Sofitel where we had just spent 6 nights. Although the lady at the kids pool and the nurse were really lovely as well. I was a bit disappointed in the activities at night though as they didn't start until 9.15pm so there is a lot of time to kill between dinner and activities of which there were few anyway (well compared to other resorts I have stayed at) We did stay in the Garden Bure which was nice enough and although the beachfront ones are the same inside it would be worth paying the extra for the beautiful location and having that little piece of your own beachfront. All in all it was a nice few days but I feel it was just lacking something mainly in terms of thiongs to do at night.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank KazNsw
karenmarvell, Director of Sales at Castaway Island Fiji, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2014

Bula
thanks for your feedback. We are a little disappointed to hear you didn't find our Castaway family to be as friendly as the Sofitel staff, however we take on board your comments and can only apologise if you weren't made to feel as welcome.

We generally wait until the dinner service is over to commence our entertainment but understand it might sometimes be a little late if you've eaten early or dining with children and this is something our Resort Management are taking on board and will try to improve.

Good to know overall you enjoyed your time at Castaway

vinaka and regards

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Without a doubt the best family holiday ever had, we had the fortune of great weather when we were at Castaway in the middle of May. The staff are the friendliest I've ever encountered in my life, just being around them made me feel at peace. They took great consideration to learn my children's names.
The food quality was far greater than that of which you'd find on the main island, eat at 1808, its a nice change from the main bar.
Housekeeping was of a thorough standard, all the kids club staff were so warm and inviting (often offering my children ice-cream at a far higher rate than I ever would have!)
Overall I have nothing to fault whatsoever, except further explanation on the meal plan options.
The shell village tour and the glass bottom boat rides are an absolute must.
Enjoy!

3  Thank nudels

Bula Nudels
Many thanks for the glowing review. We are so happy to know you enjoyed your stay at Castaway.

We clearly need to work on the explanation of the meal plans at check in and this has prompted us to take a look at this again, so thanks for bringing that to our attention.

Hope your will return again
vinaka

Reviewed 7 June 2014

We recently completed a stay on Castaway Island in May. I travelled with my wife and two kids.
Our room was a beachfront bure. It was set back about 30 metres from the water and was lovely. Inside was perhaps a little basic, but frankly was all that we needed whilst there.
There were hammocks spread amongst the trees, snorkelling is free and there is water everywhere which means if you like kicking back and relaxing, swimming when you please and taking things easy this is definitely the place for you. The snorkelling was pretty good and it is great when you can do that right of the beach in front of where you are staying.
It never really felt crowded whilst we were there which also made things pretty easy.
The food was very good and the location of the eating areas is a definite highlight. Other than the one casual dining area near the pool, all of the eating areas have an amazing view. Breakfast looking out over the islands is pretty special, and the evening dining watching the sunset is also pretty magical. We took the meal package which was excellent value. The 1808 Asian style restaurant was very good and our favourite place the eat. The tables are set out on the sand.
The whole vibe of the island is very laid back and I found myself pretty chilled out after about a day. The staff were excellent, and given it is a smaller resort, they started to get to know you after a few days (and us them) which I think adds to the whole experience. Wanted to put a particular call out to Dewindra (one of the chefs) who really looked after the special dietary needs of my wife and kids, and also Liku and Apisai at 1808 who looked after us.
I would say that it is not a particularly cultural experience. To be clear the Fijian staff here were fantastic and they definitely run at a different speed, but is probably best pictured as a tropical island holiday. It isn't a place you are going to see the 'real Fiji', but it depends what you are looking for.
As a relaxing island holiday I cannot fault it and we also had excellent weather which clearly helps make a difference.

Room Tip: The bures are all pretty nice, but the ocean view and beachfront bures are the pick, albeit at a pre...
3  Thank donnybrook23

Bula Donnybrook 23
thanks for the well rounded review. We're pleased you found some wonderful snorkelling straight off the beach. Maybe next time we might be able to convince you to go diving with our PADI Dive Team!

Vinaka from the Castaway family.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

For some reason it has taken me 9 months to write this review and I'm not sure why as it we had such a fabulous holiday I should have reviewed it immediately!
We travelled as a family with our two boys (10&8). We all had a fabulous time and loved Castaway! We arrived by float plane which meant we were the only ones checking in. Our garden view room looked right down a path to the beach and was located in close proximity to the main pool and restaurants. The kids loved the freedom of wandering around the resort and we spent most days camped out on the beach playing volleyball, snorkeling, kayaking and paddle boarding. My husband also waterskiing around the island and we went in the boat which was great fun too. The snorkeling straight off the resort is excellent (the best I've encountered without having to go on a trip) and the boys loved kayaking out then snorkeling off the kayak.
We loved the food and the kids enjoyed going to kids club each night so we could dine alone! Definitely the best holiday we've had in Fiji to date and the kids were a perfect age to enjoy everything Castaway has to offer! We'd love to go back.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank jaymcee
karenmarvell, Director of Sales at Castaway Island Fiji, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2014

Bula Jaymcee,
Well that was worth waiting for - thanks for the review from your stay last year. We all enjoyed reading how much your family enjoyed Castaway. Sounds like you made some wonderful family memories together. Castaway is mum and dad heaven. A safe and pristine environment where the kids can experience freedom at its absolute best and you all get to spend quality time together doing the simple things in life. Please come back and visit us again before too long. Maybe the you could get started on basic diving courses next time and explore more of the underwater world. You can even go online at PADI and get certified before you arrive and our Dive Team are amazing, particularly with beginners. In the meantime, very best regards from the Castaway family to yours.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

That was the quote from my 5 year old to sum up the fantastic time we had at Castaway. We stayed 14 days and were taken care of the entire time (no Fiji time experience for us). The staff were fantastic especially Joe at reception and Tether who babysat our 2 year old was sooo lovely and made my wife and I feel very relaxed.
We stayed in an island bure which we really enjoyed and it was very quiet. The rooms were clean and designed to block out a lot of light (that casino arrangement helped the boys sleep a little later)
We also got the inclusive meals package which was absolutely amazing value. Would recommend this to all if you can get it.
The kids club allowed us to have a lot of adult dinners and the kids got to meet up with their new mates. They boys stayed with us most of the day, the kids and adults pools were lovely and very well designed. Lewis (Mr Bula) and Aidan had such a good time and the staff treated him like they were family.
Like most trips it was the little things that count eg) my 5yr old loves little momentos to remember trips and wanted a menu to take home, one of the staff didnt hesitate to give him one, and now he has it on his shelf to remember his trip.
I would recommend this place although I fear that would impact my booking for next year :-) We are planning our next visit.
One very small thing, there are no locks on the inside of the bure doors. It made it a slight pain to keep the young kids inside when they needed to be. We had to move one of the beds across the door. It would be good to have a latch at adult height so the dont do a runner in the middle of the night.

Room Tip: We had an island bure which was nice and quiet and away from the main areas. We only had to walk 10...
2  Thank Will B

Bula Will B and family,
OK that's now become our favourite quote..."I'm not sad Daddy, because we will be back".
Right up there with the one you just knocked of the perch " Can we go back to that other world mummy?"

We have had feedback previously about the inside door lock, so we have engaged our Chief Engineer to take a look into this now.

The Castaway family look forward to welcoming you back as soon as you possibly can!

vinaka

Reviewed 5 June 2014

We were welcomed to Castaway Island by the staff saying 'welcome home' which was a nice touch and made us feel relaxed straight away. We arrived early and the reception staff were more than willing to get our room ready for us as soon as possible (we had to wait only 15minutes or so). The bures are airconditioned, well equipped, good sized and very well placed (we had an Ocean Front bure). Although the island has an overwhelmingly family-feel, we were a couple looking for relaxation and managed to satisfy ourselves completely. There is an adult pool as well as a children's pool and plenty of beach space for everyone! One the first night (wednesday) there was a traditional Fijian Meke with all the kids doing a little dance and the opportunity to speak to the staff and the head chef who is an Australian and loves to talk and tell you all about anything you want to know!

There are 5 restaurants all offering pretty decent food (the food package is over priced though, we stuck to pay as you go) with 1808 definitely being the favourite. we had the buffet one night which wasn't great (but i personally think buffets rarely offer great food).

The staff were super super friendly and eager to help. we felt like we'd made friends in our short 3 day visit. I would definitely recommend Castaway as one of the better places to stay in Fiji and if I'm to go back to Fiji I would definitely go back here.

Room Tip: Ocean front bures offer proximity to the ocean without having to fork out the considerable extra to...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank xcinderelliex
karenmarvell, Director of Sales at Castaway Island Fiji, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Bula and thanks for your review. Great to see some couples providing feedback as we don't just cater to families and your post is testament to that. Sorry you found the meal plan to not be as good value as pay as you go. I guess it depends how much you eat. Currently the meal plan is F$129 + 20% taxes per day which is AUD$89 for three meals and you can have entrees, mains and desserts for lunch and dinner. We feel its well priced considering the quality and the level of imports we need to operate, however we appreciate your feedback and take this on board.
The position of the bure is very often mentioned here and with all bures being in close proximity to the two lovely beaches, we agree that all accommodation options are good ones! We do hope you will come back and enjoy a longer stay with the Castaway family next time. Vinaka and regards

Reviewed 2 June 2014

We loved our family holiday to Castaway Island (29th May 14--> 1 June14) ... the only sad thing was that we didn't stay long enough!! From the welcome to our departure, everything was superb, especially the staff. Our youngest son is quite a handful but the staff were so wonderful with him and I'm sure he tested their patience - but you would never had known. Our eldest son is 10years and he had the most wonderful time on the learners dive course with the dive team. Snorkelling off the beach and out on the reef was excellent as were all the other water sports available. Special memories and we will definitely be back!

Room Tip: They are all good rooms. The Island Bure's are not far from the beach and its a lovely wee walk.
2  Thank 99CJB
karenmarvell, Director of Sales at Castaway Island Fiji, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Bula 99CJB
Lovely to read you enjoyed your time and built happy family memories with our Castaway family. Our sincere thanks for taking the time to post a review and we hope you won't leave it too long to return to your new home away from home
Vinaka!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Castaway Island (Qalito)
Fiji Marriott Resort Momi Bay
Malolo Island Resort
#2 of 4 in Malolo Island
16 mi away
Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island

Been to Castaway Island Fiji? Share your experiences!