Our 4th visit and one which was much anticipated.
A few of our favourite staff had moved on and although there were outstanding people there: Aku, Mosi, Seru, Imran, Chef Lance, David, Sammi, Poni, Jerry, Eric to mention only a few, I felt that the spirit and enthusiasm I'd felt previously was missing. We had a really relaxing and fun break don't get me wrong but a few of the staff seemed tired and some (Joana n) seemed downright rude and grumpy.
We did the meal plan but for me on a strict vegetarian diet, I don't feel I got my money's worth. The chef and supervisory staff were excellent and tried to accommodate me but many staff did not understand my requirements and at times I didn't have enough to eat and after a few days I was bored of the food. Pre-ordering was a hassle because after breakfast, the last thing I want to think of was what I'm going to eat for lunch and then I'd have the hassle of explaining certain things to staff who have no concept of a strict veggie diet. Regularly, I wouldn't get exactly what I'd ordered in any case and only once was an explanation given about why the meal varied from what I'd ordered. Also, because I had booked on certain activities, I would have to rush my food as it took a long time to arrive despite pre-ordering. The whole food thing was just too hard and my 1808 experience was quite disappointing.
The beach front bure was lovely but on a few days it wasn't cleaned until late afternoon meaning we had to vacate - not a major problem when the beach is lovely but on the 2 bad weather days it was inconvenient. Attention to detail was lacking too. I had to hunt down clothes pegs, toilet roll and tissues on a few occasions because they weren't replenished.
I love Castaway and some of the people but for $16K I don't expect to stress about food or relaxing. Now that it's changed hands to the Outrigger group, I'm doubtful as to whether I'd return. I feel almost disloyal writing this review but for 5 star prices I expect more :(
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Castaway Island, Fiji provides a unique South Pacific experience - a great place to relax, unwind and enjoy life's simple pleasures. Fiji's most popular island resort has guests returning year after year to experience the magic that is "Castaway". The island's 174 acres are covered with lush tropical vegetation, and surrounded by white sand beaches and vibrant coral reefs. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, Booking.com, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Castaway Island Fiji reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Castaway Island Fiji Hotel Qalito Island
- Castaway Island Fiji Qalito
- Castaway Island Resort
- Fiji Castaway Resort
- Castaway Fiji Hotel Island
- Castaway Island Fiji Castaway Island (Qalito)