“Disappointing”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Tokoriki Island
Brisbane, Australia
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2011

We are a young couple who just spent four nights at this resort for our honeymoon after spending six nights at the Sheraton on the main land. My new husband and I arrived at Tokoriki with wonderful bright expectations because of all the positive reviews that we had read on trip adviser.
My review is a bit different as it goes from bad, very bad to the positives at the end.

The Bad - The first day we arrived at Tokoriki we sat in the restaurant to have breakfast and we overheard another guest complaining to his waiter that his bacon was dry and his mushrooms where slimy and tasted revolting. My husband and I never complain about anything and are very positive people so we decided to not let the comments bother us and enjoy our breakfast. When my husbands bacon arrived it was dry and hard and the mushrooms where slimy. My husband said to me that he could now understand why the other guest had complained. I had the eggs benedict which was not the best but after that day was the only thing my husband ordered for his breakfast for the rest of our stay. Also the staff do not remember or refer to guests by their name, we did not see any staff referring to guests by name. I think this must be a marketing ploy.

Now for our real complaint- BEWARE OF EATING THE LOVO!!!! Lovo is a traditional Fijian cook up which consists of meat and vegetables being cooked under ground. Tokoriki have this as a theme night every Wednesday night and I would reccomend avoiding it at all costs if you don't want to get food poisoning. My husband and I have never been so sick in all our lives! It wasn't us that got sick that night from the food either because I talked to many guests the next day who said they where very sick from eating the meat also.My husband and I never get sick but as soon as I ate the meat I felt so sick. We are pretty sure that it was the chicken as it tasted and smelt off. My husband and I went back to our bure and at 1am I woke up and ran to the bathroom and then began 17 hours of being violently ill. My husband woke at 2am and was the same as I was, constant vomiting and diarrhoea, shaking and sweating. My husband said to me many times that he felt like he was dying. It was only lucky that I had bought a packet of gastro stop and nurofen with us from Australia, we went through those two entire packets of tablets between us in the 17 hour period. We could not get out of bed for hours and somehow my husband found the strength to walk to reception to tell management we where sick while he was buying bottles of water. The owner was so uninterested and unsympathetic she gave him a packet of plain jatz biscuits to take back to our room as our compensation. She also dismissed it saying that it was common for Westerners to get sick from eating Vomo. If you know it makes Westerners so sick, don't you think you should advise guests to eat it at their own risk??? If I knew it would have made us so sick we would not have eaten it, but a sign up or some notification would have been helpful.
No staff came to check on us or make sure we where ok, there is NO nurse or doctor on the island for a medical emergency. I am only grateful that I was not pregnant otherwise who knows what would have happened!
We could not eat for 24 hours and could not even eat dinner that night. It was such a shame that we spent the last day of our honeymoon in bed being so sick. With no compassion shown towards us, we where just conveniently left and forgotten abut by the owners/management of Tokoriki.
The next day was our check out and although we had stopped vomiting our stomaches felt so terrible. We spoke to the manager and asked him to remove the Lovo off our bill as it had made us so terribly sick and meant that we had not enjoyed our last day on the island.
The manager was nice and apologised to us, however he said that the owners did not want to take the meal valued at $45 Australian per person off our bill. When we asked to speak to the owners the manager went to see if they would come out of hiding, however he came back and said that the owners did not want to discuss it with us and that they would only take one meal off the bill. I was sooooo disgusted that the owners did not want to see us, they could have come out to check how we where feeling. But all we got was a packet of biscuits and one meal taken off the bill! Poor customer service considering we had paid so much money to honeymoon at their resort! Now when we have arrived home and family and friends ask how our honeymoon was we tell them the negatives first before the few positives. Come on Tokoriki you have the potential to be a far better resort then the way you treated us! I think if guests are prepared to pay top dollar then management and owners need to step up and treat guests with alot more thought and compassion, rather then seen as a dollar signs in your back pocket!

The Good - When we arrived there was a fantastic welcome committee of friendly faces who sang to us on the beach as we arrived, That was a really nice touch. The pool is amazing as are the sunsets. I would highly recommend the sunset dinner on the private deck one night during your stay, this was the highlight of our stay at Tokoriki. We ordered the seafood platter and it was honestly the best sea food we ever ate. But be warned it is HUGE so you need to make sure you are hungry.
My husband and I did not order the meal plan and we are so thankful that we didn't. I personally think it is a rip off and if you decide to miss a meal such as lunch you do not get a refund or a credit to anything. Most days we just ordered breakfast and dinner and cocktails of course. I did like the beach and going out to do a village tour was very interesting and worth while. It is just a shame that our honeymoon was an anticlimax after how we where treated so poorly, but hopefully after this review Tokoriki will improve their medical standards if other guests fall ill and need urgent medical treatment. Rather then just being left to suffer.
It is sad to say that we could not get back to the mainland soon enough!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank traveller70296
gmtokoriki, General Manager at Tokoriki Island Resort, responded to this review, 29 November 2011
Thank you for your feedback on your stay at Tokoriki Island Resort. We really appreciate all comments from our guests however I must say that your comments come as a complete surprise. Our Duty Manager did visit you in your room and all of our key team members are fully trained in first aid and have just undergone the most recent update in first aid training and we have a state of the art first aid kit as the health & safety of our guests is paramount. The Fiji Fire Department has conducted and certified the resort and the Tokoriki team with Fire Training as well as our Occupational Health and Safety committee attended the latest OH&S training with the Fiji Government. Our first aid and safety training is indeed first class and up to date. Plus if requested our island nurse would have definitely attended to you. Please understand that we all at Tokoriki are very sorry that you were not feeling well on your last day and if you check with your husband he will agree that the offer of dry crackers (not by our owner as our owners were not on the island during your stay) was not a form of compensation, but merely an offer of care.
We have checked our logs and it appears that your issues were isolated to yourself and your husband and we strongly disclaim your accusation of contaminated food.
The Fijian Lovo is a traditional cultural event prepared by fully trained Chefs with the highest quality meats and local produce and has been around for many centuries. The Lovo is also a highlight for our guests along with the local village entertainment dancers who perform weekly, followed by a traditional kava ceremony. Guests with sensitive constitutions can have an adverse affect from drinking kava perhaps this is the case for you? One of the biggest comments from our in house guests comment forms is how amazed they are that the Tokoriki team remembered their names. We are proud of our team who care and go out of their way to ensure the best experience for our guests. It seems that you may have missed your mark on that comment based on the many trip advisor comments. We are delighted you enjoyed your big bula welcome on the beach, our amazing pool, the beautiful Tokoriki sunsets and your huge seafood platter on the private deck overlooking the ocean. Vinaka

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (410)
  • Polish first
Canberra
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2011

My husband and I went to Tokoriki in September for our honeymoon. I had done alot of research on where to go and changed my mind alot - we decided to go to Tokoriki for 5 nights instead of go to a cheaper plan for say 10 nights. I am so happy we went with Tokoriki - it was absolute luxury!

As I said I did alot of reseach and I thought I knew what to expect but I was blown away! Although we didn't stay in the most expensive bure the one we were in was still amazing, close to the beach, we were lucky enough to be close to the main facilities, the outdoor shower was exactly what we needed.

We had the meal plan and I thought it was very convenient - you don't have to worry about anything! I am very very fussy with breakfast and wished there could have been a bit more of a selection - however as I said I am very fussy with breakfast. We loved the lunch and dinner menu, and never had a problem with the variety of food offered. The range of cocktails were great and each day they have special cocktails.

We did alot of snorkeling and hanging around on the kayaks - there is also great half day/day different trips you can go on.

The staff really made our trip. Everyone knew our name and everyone was so friendly and helpful.

Oh and I highly recommend catching a helicopter - we got a helicopter there and caught the boat back. The boat was horrible compared to the serene peice and quiet we had been in all day - there were kids and lots and lots of people, just like the air port. It would be good to create a total child free holiday - a plane ride, boat ride and resort completely child free!!!

I highly recommend this resort to anyone and everyone! I wish I was there right now even if it was just for a night.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank p_canberra
gmtokoriki, General Manager at Tokoriki Island Resort, responded to this review, 24 November 2011
Bula and vinaka for your wonderful comments on your recent honeymoon at Tokoriki Island Resort. We are delighted that we delivered beyond your expectations! Our Deluxe Bures are all located beachfront, freestanding, air conditioned (which is needed in the tropics) plus ceiling fans and as you mentioned a romantic outdoor rock wall shower under the stars.We have just introduced some new breakfast items such as poached fresh pineapple with star anise, natural yoghurt with tropical fruits, French toast with Fiji honey and local sugar bananas, more bread/toast choices with island made preserves just to name a few! (you will need to return to enjoy). Thank you for your comments on our team members regarding remembering your names - it certainly is one of the many talents that we treasure of our talented team.

Yes the helicopter transfer is a highlight. Stay for 7 days from 1 Dec 2011 to 31 May 2012 and you will enjoy complimentary return heli transfers per person (2 max) staying in a Deluxe bure or the Sunset Pool villas. A real treat and available through all travel agents or on our website. Thank you again for visiting our child free romantic island hideaway...
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2011

No children!! Need I say any more.

This resort is one of the most beautiful and relaxing places I have ever had the pleasure of visiting.

The staff are so welcoming and friendly, nothing is too much of a bother for them. They all were funny and attentive and surprisingly knew our names by the second day.

We stayed in a Beach Villa and we loved it. It was private, with direct access to stunning beach. Each villa has their own sun lounges and hammock.

The pool area is beautiful. We never had any issues getting a deck chair and were happy to sit for hours looking at the uninterrupted beach views while sipping sensational cocktails.

Our only complaint is that we only stayed here three days. This was not enough time to do everything we wanted to. There are so many activities that you can choose to take part in or you can simply lay by your pool.

We arrived on the island by helicopter and left with the island hopper boat. Next time we will take the helicopter in both directions. The island hopper boat was quoted by south seas cruises as only taking 1hr 20 minutes, however you need to get a small boat from Tokoriki to another island which was about half and hour away, we then waited at this island for around 40 minutes for the actual boat to pick us up and then that trip took another 2 hours. The helicopter takes around 15 minutes and is well worth the extra money.

We can't wait to go back next year

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SydneyLeones
gmtokoriki, General Manager at Tokoriki Island Resort, responded to this review, 25 November 2011
Bula and thank you for your review on your stay with us. Tokoriki is one of the few luxury resorts in Fiji that is for adults only. We are so proud of our team, and yes they remember guests' names which makes the resort so personal yet at the same time unobtrusive.

The pool has enough deck chairs for our guests so there is no need to get up early and reserve one. It's such a rare thing these days! Next visit, you will have to stay at least 5 days just to enjoy all our wonderful facilities.

We apologise on behalf of the Sth Seas Cruises boat transfer on your departure, as that is not the normal route. They had boat issues that day and unfortunately your travel time was extended. The heli is certainly the ultimate way to arrive - 12-15mins and you are on your deck chair sipping cocktails. We look forward to welcoming you 'home' to Tokoriki next year, until then keep up to date with our Facebook page for all the new and exciting ventures. Vinaka from all the team at Tokoriki Island Resort.
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2011

Wonderful resort in the Mamanuca Islands of Fiji. Definitely recommend visiting the workers village just 15min boat ride away.

Room Tip: We stayed in the beachside bure and it was wonderful with it's outdoor shower and outside hammoc...
1 Thank medicnat
Ballarat, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2011

We love tokoriki,we have stayed twice and are booked in for 5 nights in January.it is the most relaxing place on earth,staff are so nice,friendly and helpful,love the sunset pool villas,we prefer to stay for a short but luxury holiday and the pool villas are well worth the extra cost.we don't take the meal plan as we are oldies!!! And just could not eat that much,we do have lots of cocktails,they are just great, the outdoor showers are great,did not think I would use it but didn't use the indoor one at all?cannot wait to get back

• Stayed March 2011
2 Thank Lynnemary
Bula vinaka, we are delighted you are returning 'home' to Tokoriki in January and I look forward to personally welcoming you back. You will enjoy our new Spa with relaxing treatments and great views. The Oishii Teppanyaki Bure is also a new addition and only seats 4 couples, please drop me an email prior to your arrival should you wish to make reservation to ensure you experience the amazing talents of our wonderful Teppan Chef. The Sunset Pool Villas (only 8) are stunning and should you have a prefrence in location, let me know so that we can make the request for you. Until January, have a wonderful Christmas and New Year from all the team at Tokoriki! Vinaka. gm@tokoriki.com
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2011

Catie and I spent 5 days at Tokoriki for our honeymoon. We stayed in one of the pool villas and quite simply, our stay was superb! We were looked after so well by all the team, and in particular, Ramsay, Vika, Moses, Joshua and Joe.

The resort is beautifully kept with plenty of space and it felt like you had your own beach.

The food was superb - a particular thank you to Rainal, the Head Chef and his team - I'm lucky enough to have eaten at some of the top restaurants in the world, such as Cafe Sydney or Icebergs in Australia through to the Belvedere in London and Versace's restaurant in Miami - and was very impressed by the standard of cooking.

Would we return...most definitely!!! Although it is reasonably expensive, its certainly not expensive compared to the prices we would in Australia - in fact, great value...and the relaxation you get is amazing!! Wonderful!!!

3 Thank DavidWilman
gmtokoriki, General Manager at Tokoriki Island Resort, responded to this review, 26 November 2011
Bula and a huge vinaka for your great review on your recent honeymoon. The team have asked me to pass on their big bula smile and it was their pleasure to look are you.

The talented landscaping team love their work and we are very proud of our garden of Eden!! As all our bures are beachfront and surrounded by lush tropical gardens you do get the feeling you have the resort and beach to yourself.

Chef Rainal is extremely humbled with your comments on his food standards especially putting his food up there with the top restaurants of the world that you have experienced. Our International Chef Program ensures our local Chefs are fully trained, inspired and very creative with their daily changing menus. You must try Chef Rainal's super seafood platter on your next visit (a new creation since your stay). We will keep you posted on our Facebook page when and whom our next International visiting Chef will be!. We look forward to your next visit, just let us know when you are arriving!. Moce from all the team at Tokoriki.
Bainbridge Island, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2011

We took a speedboat to the island. It was a great way to blow away the cobwebs from a long flight. When we arrived at the resort, we had a nice reception and were welcomed with a song. We had scheduled a couples massage in advance, which was probably the best thing we did. What a perfect way to arrive and relax in a new place and work out the kinks from the stress of home and the flight. As nice as our arrival was, everything went uphill from there. Our stay was wonderful. Every member of the staff has something nice to say when they see you. Many of them remembered our names. The room was immaculate. The menu was varied and had items that changed everyday. The bar was extensive. The other guests were great. Service is not as fast as you might be used to, but it will happen, and the food will be great when it arrives. If you are a person who demands fast service, here is an idea for you. Get a drink at the bar before you are seated for dinner. That way you have something to do while you are waiting, and you are not waiting for your drink. It helps if you are really impatient... like someone I travel with.
The only things I could say on the negative side have to do with the running and maintenance of the resort and I really don't know how they could do them any different, but they might be worth a mention. Sea grass washes up on the beach in the morning. If it is a lot, as when we were there, the staff brings some sort of big diesel digger down and uses it to rake and scoop up the mess. It is good they do this, because it is a lot of vegetation and difficult to walk around or through. But they do it in the morning while people are gathered at breakfast or the pool. The diesel exhaust is pretty bad smelling and very strong. But what else could they do? Maybe another piece of equipment would be a better choice, but who knows? Another day, they used the digger right at lunch, and it was only across a wall from the dining area. The diesel exhaust was really bad and drifting right into the restaurant. I thought this was really bad timing on their part, but again, if they didn't do the work, it wouldn't be as nice of a place. Finally, they burn something most days, either garbage or leaves or something. They do it in the morning or afternoon, but one night our bure filled up with smoke and it bothered me all night. I mentioned it to the head of staff the next day, and he said they never burn at night. Maybe the fire smoldered and just never went out. I don't know, but after I mentioned it, we weren't bothered by it again. We could have alleviated the problem by closing the windows and turning on the air, we really enjoyed the sound of waves.
Finally, if you don't use your AC at night, you might hear a strange and maybe frightening sound at night. It is fruit bats! These wonderful large bats come out at night and set off looking for, what else, fruit. They seem to get into quarrels in the middle of the night. We got used to it. It was too nice sleeping with the sound of the waves to want to turn on the air.
All in all, it was a perfect trip. Don't worry if you forget something to wear, they have a little boutique with darling stuff. Just remember your swimming suit(s) and shoes. One final tip: it gets chilly in the evening, at least for me. I brought a black Pashmina and used it as a wrap in the evening which was perfect. There is a steep walking trail which requires sturdy shoes, which they do not sell.

Room Tip: Ask for a place as far away as possible from where they burn the garbage (or leaves, I don't kno...
1 Thank Donna947
#1 of 1 in Matamanoa Island
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,022 reviews
Castaway Island Fiji
Castaway Island Fiji
#1 of 1 in Castaway Island (Qalito)
Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island

Been to Tokoriki Island Resort? Share your experiences!