“Fantastic”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Qamea Island
Scotland
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2008

We spent 8 days at Qamea at the start of June and can only report that this place is absolutely fantastic.
As everyone else has already commented the staff are amazing, the most friendly and geuine people that we have met in a long time who will go out of their way to make sure everything you need or want is there for you. I can only advise that you take the time to speak to the staff and learn a little about Fiji and the cultures. These guys have a very simple way of life and enjoy every minute of it, an attitude many of us could do with looking at taking on board.
The manager Jason does a great job of pulling everything together and making sure everything is going smoothly for all guests, having overheard some of the requests from some of the other guests at the resort (they didnt seem to realise that there wasnt a Walmart just round the corner!) I am amazed that he is able to keep everyone happy.
The bures were nice, spacious and clean, nothing more relaxing that lying back in the hammock for a couple of hours in the evenings as the sun goes down.
The tours were excellent, Percy (the main guide) brings a bit extra to the tour, always with a good sense of humour. Even when the weather wasnt the greatest we still enjoyed walking up to and swimming in the waterfalls and heading up to the plantation and seeing the old Fijian villages and learning about the history of the area. When the weather got really bad one day, the staff were given guitars and we spent most of the day listening to them singing traditional Fijian songs whilst the others had us up dancing, very easy to forget that it was raining outside.
The food at the resort is also excellent, if you dont like what they have on offer they will happily make you something else, although it is very hard not to like at least one of the choices on the menu.
During and after the meal the band will play local Fijian music, they also have a big bowl of Kava to share with the guests and later in the night the staff will also come round to join in. One thing we found slightly strange was that after dinner each night, all other guests went straight back to the Bures, we were there 7 nights and each night was the same, just myself and my wife enjoying the music, having a few drinks and chatting/dancing with the staff. It didnt go on late, say 11pm at latest but i was very suprised that having gone all the way to Fiji the others wouldn't want to take advantage of what for me was a very unique experience. Maybe it is just a cultural thing, we were the only non American couple on the resort for the week we were there so maybe this would be normal in the US? In any case i can only recommend that you take some time to sit and listen to the music and have a couple of drinks with the band and staff.

I could very easily have stayed much longer, seeing every member of staff on the beach at 7.30am to sing a leaving song had my wife in tears. This was the final nice touch to a cracking week and one which we hope to repeat in the near future.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
5 Thank baygee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Polish first
NYC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2008

Bula everyone! Before I dive into the spectacular time we had at Qamea, I’d like to mention the person that helped us find this place, Lori at McCoy Travel. We had worked with a few other agencies before finally booking with McCoy and we wouldn’t recommend anyone else! She is a regular at Qamea and was much like a celebrity there, so we knew we were in good hands. We changed our plans quite a bit, booking a Hawaii vacation on the way to Fiji, and she had no problem accommodating us in every way, keeping us updated all the time. Thank you Lori for putting together the most perfect anniversary! You set us up for having the most beautiful memories for life!

We stayed at Qamea the last week in April for our 1 year anniversary/overdue honeymoon and couldn’t have been happier with our choice. Every great review you read about Qamea is exactly correct. Anyone who would even think to complain has no idea how to appreciate life.

I’m going to try and mention things other reviews didn’t talk about… We upgraded to one of the premium villas and it was well worth the money. It has an indoor & outdoor shower along with a separate living area. It has a private pool; I’m guessing 10’x20’ and approx 6’ in the deep end. It is fully covered by the deck’s awning so it is much cooler than the resort’s pool. The sun gets brutal if you’re lying-out so a quick dip in the pool is very refreshing. I was in there every day. Also, the premium villas have what I thought to be the best hammock at the resort. Each bure/villa has its own hammock but the premium villa has one between two trees right over the beach. During high tide you’d be lying in the hammock only to have the ocean’s waves break right under you. Now that is my definition of paradise!

The entire staff knows your name instantly, but I go by a nickname only to have my full name listed in Qamea Times. I told Sia this as we arrived and from that time forward (not even 5 minutes afterwards) everyone knew me by my nickname! Amazing! While on the subject of staff… you must get one of William’s drinks! He can make a mean drink and his smile is contagious. The Band Boys are astounding! Try some kava with them and listen to their stories. If you do play the guitar they will definitely enjoy jamming with you. One of the people we met had an amazing voice and played guitar. She played a song with the band one night while one of the guys was improv jamming with her, it was wonderful. Everyone made our trip truly memorable, especially their stories.

Don’t pack more than 1 pair of sandals. It is uncustomary to wear shoes inside. As you walk up to the main dining hall (or any other bure/villa) you discard your shoes and dunk your feet to wash off any sand. We went barefoot everywhere except at night for fear of stepping on the frogs (but we also did not do any excursions besides snorkeling). Also they have an excellent laundry service for a very small fee (I believe it was 15Fiji for ½ load, 30Fiji for full load), so pack light, especially with the new airline charges for baggage.

Although we didn’t get out on any of the excursions (read above about William’s drinks and you can figure out why), we did greatly enjoy the Meke ceremony. The stories told by the village’s kids with song and dance were wonderful and everyone seemed to be having a great time. I personally am not a dancer but they had me up in the conga line! They also had a kava ceremony with local villagers which was very exciting. One of the staff members comes around to the men asking them if they wish to be a part of the ceremony, which my husband did partake in. It’s a must-do, guys!

My favorite part was cocktail hour before dinner. This is where you get to meet everyone else staying at Qamea. The majority of people are honeymooners so everyone is approx the same age (20s to 30s). We met some great people and got to hear about how they spent their days, how they planned their weddings and what everyone does for a living. We also met a few couples married 25 years and got along wonderfully. It’s enough conversation to fill weeks no matter who you meet. But for those who wish to spend their time just the two of you, everyone respects that. For us, by the end of the week, we were pushing together tables to fit all 8 of us.

One night at dinner we were pleasantly surprised when a cake lit with candles was brought out as the band played. We had been wondering whose birthday it was only to have the cake brought directly to us, realizing then that the band was singing Happy Anniversary! My husband had mentioned our anniversary to one of the guests, only to have a staff member overhear and prepare this the same night. A complete surprise!

It was truly an amazing trip. I could go on forever here but you really have to experience everything for yourself. Again, we would like to thank the owners for putting together such a wonderful resort and friendly staff as well as McCoy travels for directing us to this slice of paradise. Vinaka Vakalevu!!!

P.S. We met a few couples, one from Atlanta and one from North Dakota, that we exchanged email addresses with. If you are reading this, please send an email to jarret.bauer@gmail.com. We were looking forward to hearing from you two.

• Liked — The drinks!
  • Disliked — Not being able to stay forever
5 Thank JARRETB
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2008

Absolutely beautiful resort in a secluded location...in Fiji. What more could you ask for? The entire staff knew us by name from the day we arrived, which was a nice touch. It is obvious that the owners/management understand that for the price you're paying, you expect excellence. And they deliver. If you're looking for a secluded, romantic, relaxing get away with some aquatic and hiking adventures thrown in, this is the place for you. There just aren't words to describe the beauty of the place.

Things I didn't like...they're all just picky things, really. The giftshop didn't stock a huge variety of items, such as medicines (I had a terrible cold once we arrived; other guests gave me some cold medication and the staff gave me their personal stash of cough syrup, so that problem was solved), and I also wanted some beach shoes but they only stocked large sizes. The beach has a lot of coral and shells on it and it's nearly impossible to navigate at low tide without some sort of shoes. Understandable, just wish I'd known so I could have brought some suitable shoes of my own.

Also, drinks are pricey, so take the other travelers' tips and bring your own duty-free liquor if you want to drink. Smart move.

I also experienced one of the boat operators soliciting me to contact his family directly regarding a return visit to the island. He offered to let us stay at their house for a fraction of what the resort was charging, and to take us out personally in his own boat to see the sights, etc etc. I would never take him up on the offer, of course, but the offer was made, which was a bit awkward. I read other reviews regarding this sort of experience with people encountered on the island. It could happen, so just be prepared. If you have experienced 3rd world culture at all, it won't surprise you in the least. I will also mention that at no time did any of direct staff at the resort make any sort of solicitation, and there is a tip box provided for you to contribute over and above the cost of your stay if you choose to do so.

I saw another review that complained of bugs or critters in their bure. I guess it depends on the type of bure you book because we never had any sort of trouble with this type of thing.

It'll cost you an arm and a leg to stay at Qamea, there's no secret there. However, overall I would describe it as paradise, once-in-a-lifetime, and perfect honeymoon that makes everyone we tell about it ooh and ahh. Fantastic. Wonderful. Will never forget it as long as I live.

• Liked — It's in paradise
  • Disliked — leaving
  • Stayed November 2005, travelled as a couple
4 Thank badgercadger
Portland, OR.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2008

Qamea Resort and Spa was the perfect place for my wife and I to go for a romantic getaway. The facility was excellent! We have traveled to Europe, Mexico, and in the U.S. and have not found a finer place. Super exclusive and worth every penny!!!!

The accommodations were wonderful; beachfront bure with unobstructed view. Fantastic bed, bath, quarters. The outdoor shower was terrific!!

The Spa was super enjoyable and relaxing. There is nothing like enjoying a private massage right on the beach. Easy to schedule (and reschedule for me!!) around your daily activities.

The food was *****!! Lots of variety and exceptionally prepared and presented. Even the picnic lunches were amazing. The bar was fun and the "band boys" were very entertaining...live music!!

The staff was outstanding. I cannot begin to tell you how many times we have thought of all of them since our return home. My wife cried for a week because she missed so many of "her new friends"!! The restaurant staff, housekeeping, dive shop crew and spa personnel were all top notch, professional, and extremely friendly. You are wonderfully cared for from the beginning to the end of your stay. Our send off was something we will never forget.

There are many things to do everyday; hiking, scuba diving, visiting local villages and sites, to simply hanging out around the beautiful grounds and pool. The local hiking and beaches were wonderful and the waterfalls were gorgeous. Many of these trips were inexpensive or free. The dive crew was attentive to every detail and very pro. Amazing dive spots and great people. They have all the gear you need on site.

My wife and I cannot recommend Qamea Resort and Spa more highly. It was the trip of a lifetime........and we are absolutely going back as soon as possible!! As said the day I left, I would move there if I could!

• Liked — Everything!!!
  • Disliked — Having to leave........
7 Thank TMEIV
Alexandria, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2008

Compared to most hotels, yes, Qamea is 5 star. But when compared to the luxury resort category, I would say Qamea is 3 stars, based on if you are staying in the standard Beachfront Bure. Their speciality bures, the honeymoon bure and the premium villa, I would rate at 4 stars because they are more private and larger. I had read and heard such great things about Qamea, and maybe I expected too much, but it was not as advertised.

They cater to honeymoon couples and I would think privacy is one of the most important aspects for a romantic vacation but the beachfront bures are all close together and the path is RIGHT in front of your bure so you must have your blinds closed at all times if you don't want people to see you. Switching the path to behind the bures would be very simple to do. The outdoor shower is also a letdown as the roof on the shower completely covers it so you don't see any of the sky.

We stayed 4 nights in the beachfront bure and 2 nights in the premium villa. The premium villa is a work of art and has gorgeous furnishings and a large pool (a plunge pool would make the beachfront bures much nicer, as we had one at the cheaper resort we stayed at). The problem once again was privacy as the staff is often walking through your backyard which I do not understand as there are pathways in the frontyard.

The food is also far from 5 star. The service is very slow and there are no side dishes with your entree and usually no sauce so the fish is somewhat simple. The dessert selection was white chocolate pudding with a different sauce for 6 nights in a row if I remember correctly. Not a great deal of variety there. Some dishes were outstanding, but overall, disappointing.

Lastly, we were the only divers there for every day execept our last day there. We were at a dive resort in Fiji before Qamea so we were used to a professional operation. The prices were more expensive at Qamea so we expected the same level of service but did not get that. They used a very small boat to take us out on that was uncomfortable and they only went 5 minutes out (not much gas cost there) but when we had more divers with us then they were willing to go farther out. Also, they dropped you off back on the beach for your surface interval which I found annoying (they could have put 2 tanks on the boat) and they failed to offer you refreshments which is standard at every other dive operation I have been to (Honduras, Belize, West Indies, Little Cayman, etc). There was also no freshwater bucket to put your camera in. On top of that, the price they charge to go to the Somosomo Straits is ridiculous as it is only about 1 hour away and $575 Fijian dollars per person is crazy. We ended up paying Qamea to take us to a dive shop on Taveuni (approximately than 20 minutes away) and we spent under $200 Fijian dollars per person diving the Somosomo straits. Please explain the reason for the difference in price.

Overall, Qamea left a bad taste in my mouth. Yes, the property is beautiful and the staff overall is quite nice. But substance wise, I expected more for the price. Next time we will be staying on Taveuni or going back to Beqa Lagoon Resort.

• Liked — The View
  • Disliked — Total lack of privacy, not romantic
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
10 Thank SheShark1
QameaOwnerQameaIsl, Owner and Director at Qamea Resort And Spa Fiji, responded to this review, 21 May 2008
As one of the two owners of Qame Resort & Spa we fully accept that there is always room for improvement and we welcome and in fact solicit from all our guests constructive criticism, but this one is way off base. I was on the resort for the entire stay that these guests were there, and I personally dealt with them each and every day. While on the resort their complaints to me focused on (1) a missing BCD hose which they claimed the previous resort where they had stayed had misplaced (this is the other dive resort they refer to); (2) one of their new wireless dive computers had malfunctioned and was unusable (this also happened at the resort they visited prior to Qamea); and (3) as the husband serves in the USA military they argued repeatedly for some sort of military discount or refund on the accommodation her father had prepaid through his travel agent as a gift to this couple. As for the missing BCD hose, this was either their fault or the fault of the previous resort they stayed in. Be that as it may, they came into my office each day after their morning dive to call the other resort, and to complain to me about how disappointed they were that they could not use their new BCD. This would be a daily one hour drama. In the end I gave them one of our new TUSA BCDs to use free of charge for their entire stay. As for their malfunctioning wireless dive computer, again, it is not our equipment and it has nothing to do with us. The husband repeatedly made statements to me about “what a disaster” their diving had been because he was so disappointed he could not use his new wireless dive computer. Finally, regarding a military discount, I repeatedly explained to these guests that we do not have any military specials or discounts at present. The writer of this review threw a mini fit at her check out trying one last time to get us to offer a military discount or partial refund, which we did not agree to. Obviously had we agreed, I probably would not be writing this management response now.

I have read each and every check out review from every other guest that was on the resort during the time these guests were, and with the exception of these guests, all of our other guests rated their overall stay at Qamea, our accommodation, and our food - as being excellent to exceptional. I am also a bit surprised about their comments regarding a lack of privacy. When they stayed in our Premium Villa, the only people they would have seen is the housemaid (and she cleaned their room when they were out diving), the night turndown maid (and turndown service is always while the guests are at dinner), once a day our pool manager would come down to vacuum their private pool (also usually during the time these guests were diving), and one lady that would work in the gardens on that end of the resort.

Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2008

This review is long overdue as we stayed at Qamea for 8 nights in the end of March 2008.

You can read all the reviews online about Qamea but until you are there, you will not able able to appreciate what makes it such a special place. When you arrive after your long travels you will quickly see why you have come from so far. You get to meet the very warm Eddie when you "commuter plane" lands in Taveuni. He will take you in the van about 15 minutes to the water taxi. This will be your first glimpse of what your week will be like.

Sure Taveuni is a much more developed island than Qamea (meaning there are roads, as opposed to Qamea where the only way to get around is via a boat.) But here you will see the warmth of the locals. You quickly learn to say 'bula.' After the short drive, you get to the small beach where your water taxi is awaiting you. You get on board and start your 10 minute ride across the ocean...and soon you will get your first glimpse of your own paradise. The "bures" are lining the beach in a distance and then you see a gaggle of people awaiting you. Little do you know that the people waiting to greet you will be folks who will stick with you a long time after your stay is complete.

We got out of the water taxi and walked in ankle high waters onto the beach. You will meet your new friends and most important you will meet Lusia, the assistant manager. She will give a tour of the property and will show you what paradise is all about.

My wife and I were celebrating our honeymoon and decided to go for one of the Premium Bures. We could not have been more pleased with the accommodations and service we received. The bure was extremely spacious and private beyond words. The private pool was such a blessing as we were able to take in the beautiful views from our own patio while cooling off in private. Having an outdoor grotto shower was so refreshing and perfect. The 5pm serving of drinks/cheese/fruit and crackers to our bure was a very classy touch. Really if the rest of the resort wasn't so perfect, you might never want to leave your bure.

Every day Qamea offered a variety of activities to choose from. Some were included in the hotel rate while others were for a small fee but certainly worth it. Make sure to go visit the waterfalls with Percy. The hike can be intense but it is hard to find any place more beautiful. We also went on the village tour which will humble just about anyone. To see how happy and friendly the locals are made us appreciate the greatness of Fiji.

We never were hungry once during our stay. For breakfast they offer a menu (french toast, pancakes, eggs, etc.) and mini buffet of fruits (the passion fruit and pineapple were wonderful), muffins, cereal and fresh juices. For lunch they offered a couple of selections for your first and main course. Dinner had an additional third option. We found that the fish, not surprisingly, tended to be some of the best meals.

During dinner you will have the opportunity to be serenaded by the Qamea Band. The soothing sounds will relax you almost as much as the nightly kava drinks. The band will come around the dining room to sing and then make home off to the side where you can join them in some kava and unwind for the night.

Of all the features at Qamea the finest are the people. From the guys at the dive shop to the ladies taking care of the grounds, the charm of Qamea is the sweetness of the staff. My wife and I became close friends with so many of the people at Qamea and would be remiss not to mention how sweet and kind they all were, and in particular Louie, Percy and Lusia. Whatever we needed, they made sure we were accommodated and a smile always went along with a laugh. The goodbye was tough as you depart since you know you might never meet these kind people again but will have them in your memories for the rest of your life.

My wife and I made our reservations with Heather at Unforgettable Honeymoons and we could not have asked for better service or attention every step of the way. Our honeymoon was booked about 10 months ahead of time and periodically we would check for updates on Trip Advisor and I was skeptical whether the resort could live up to the reviews. The truth is, Qamea is the real deal and we could not imagine having a more romantic or beautiful honeymoon.

• Liked — Being in the middle of the South Pacific and having world class accommodations
  • Disliked — Having to say goodbye
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
8 Thank LATravelers01
Scottsdale, AZ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2008

Look no further for the best resort in Fiji. All positive reviews about Qamea are accurate. Our experience was absolutely perfect.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
6 Thank David W
Matangi Private Island Resort
Matangi Private Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Matangi Island
Taveuni Palms Resort

Been to Qamea Resort And Spa Fiji? Share your experiences!