“AMAZING WEEK OF RELAXATION & BEAUTIFUL FIJIAN HOSPITALITY”

Toberua Island Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Toberua Island
Reviewed 25 December 2013

My wife and I had a fantastic time on Toberua Island.

From the moment we departed the dock we experienced Fijian hospitality. It was just wonderful. The island is small and unique, (that's what we wanted). We wanted to get away - and forget about home and relax. We experienced all the additional activities - diving, snorkeling everyday and visiting the local community on an neighbouring Island.

In the evenings, prior to dinner, it was great to had a chat and to meet other travellers on the Island at the bar after another amazing day. (Buy the way - I eat too much).

Thanks to all the staff.

WE WILL BE BACK SOON - can't wait

PS - I've attached some photos from our time on the island.

Room Tip: We stayed on Bure Number 3 - Deluxe - It was great. It was the closest one to the pier, and out of t...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Christopher V

Reviewed 9 December 2013

Toberua is the perfect place to visit for privacy & relaxation. There are only 14 bures and even when the place was full it still felt like our own private island. I cannot commend the staff and management enough on how amazing they made our stay here.
From the moment you arrive to moment you leave they make you feel so welcome and relaxed and HAPPY, their attitude to life is infectious. The rooms are very traditional & homely which sets it apart from just another hotel, they are serviced daily and I especially loved opening the french doors in the bathroom to feel a bit closer to nature.
There is only 1 place to eat on the island, which stops the hassle of trying to find a restaurant and the food is so fresh & delicious. All meals are served here which is great for interaction, we made many good friends over cocktails before dinner. This island has many amazing surprises which I'll try not to spoil now and you can make it as action packed (with a village trip, water activities etc) or as relaxing as you want it.
Absolutely loved every minute of it and will definitely be back!!!
Just a tip - don't be put off by the boat that takes you there, just let the staff look after everything which they are so fantastic at :)

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Emma S
Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

My second visit to the island and once again i was stunned at how beautiful it is and how the staff remembered me. I spent the week swimming, snorkling having spa treatments and eating the amazing meals. This is a truely amazing place.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Our family have enjoyed a long association with Toberua. During our many trips we have seen a change of owner and several changes in manager. At times we have returned and felt the old Toberua, the one that has seen our children grow in to adults no longer exists.

Earlier this year we ventured back and again yesterday tore ourselves away from this tiny spec situated on the Suva side of Fiji. Under the new management the Island has thrived, the improvements are just that improvements. They add to the things that make Toberua special not detract from its special feeling.

I will try to be unbiased because as with any destination this Island would not suit or please every person. For instance if your expectation is chrome and glass this resort would disappoint. If you have young children and are expecting to avoid interacting with them or to have them amused in a kids club this resort would not be for you. But if you, like us want to escape the cookie cutter sterile larger hotels then you may have just found your special place.

The trip from the Landing to Toberua takes you along the large expanse of the Suva River. This itself is an experience. Tiny villages dotted along the broad expanse of water. On arrival it is not only the genuine greeting but for us as returnee's the welcome home. How are the kids? A line of familiar happy faces and although obviously it needs to be geared to meet the needs of us as tourists the feeling that this is as close to the real Fiji as a resort can be.

We always opt for a premim bure as the beachfront at Toberua is slightly lacking. As I have said this is well compensated for by the other positive things you will experience on this Island. Our normal bure is literally in the sand. All the accomodations are generous in size and dotted around the four acre expanse of Toberua. A small pool is situated centrally, it is now well utilized although years ago the tree's sheltered it and reduced the temperature to an uncomfortable chill. Now new outdoor furniture and a sunny outlook make swimming an attractive option at low tide. The spa area is now situated looking over the water - well recommended!

When we travel food is always a high priority for us. If Toberua does not please you I think you would be hard to please in any resort around Fiji. Malakai has been the Islands chef for many years. During this time he has always maintained an exceptional standard and his influence and training is now apparent in Manu. From breakfast offering both hot and cold selections to the three course lunch and four course evening meal we are never left wanting. Of course there are always biscuits and treats available if your stamina exceeds ours. As always fresh local produce is utilised and the kitchen blends a variety of Fijian food and international tastes. A quite extensive variety of wines, deliscious cocktails and the wonderful smiling faces of the bar staff add to the day.

We have visited this island as a couple and visited this island with young children. Often there have been other children of the same age to interact with but often they have enjoyed the holiday as the only young people in the handful of bures. I guess it depends on the family whether this small island would be suitable. But generally we did not find it a problem. We often came during holidays and there is a variety of activities that are special to Toberua. Of course all Fijians seem wonderful with children and are happy to help if they can provide some relief to parents.

Kayaks paddle boards etc are freely available, fishing handline and open water, village trips and a new walk (surprizingly less touristy than most on offer), a stunning mangrove tour (recently this has been offered on Kayaks - when we did it it was in a long boat and well worth the effort), bird island (an experience that is quite unique), diving, snorkelling and picnic Island an even smaller dot of pure white sand 30 minutes from Toberua itself. The later is the only organized actiity we crammed in to this short 5 day stay. It is highly recommended, crystal clear water, stunning white beach and a picnic in the sand. A pool table and ping pong around the bar area and small library are also available to adults and younger visitors.

Already we are planning another visit this time with our now grown up children. Yes this island is on the Suva side but perhaps that is what makes it special. Slightly less cookie cutter,slightly more 'authentic and personal", slightly more like a wonderful comfortable oasis where the pressures we all live under can be pushed to one side. Thank you Max and Sandy (and of course Toberua's owners) for returning the Toberua we want to keep coming back to!

Room Tip: All the bures are large and of high standard. We personally prefer to outlay a little more and opt...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Cheezel
Reviewed 2 November 2013

First trip was with two other couples and my husband. I often think when a place was wonderful it is a bit scary to return in case the magic was for the first trip and you get a bit picky. Not so. My sister and I (both getting close to 70 but very young at heart) had a great 6 days on our island last September. A fantastic little island and so unlike the big glam resorts. You were made to feel very special as an individual.

It is nice to take rugby, soccer, netball and other balls, exercise books and pens, medical needs etc for the nearby island that is usually visited by guests onToberua, but I feel very strongly that staff (and therefore their families and villages) coming from other islands and the mainland, miss out on these little gifts of appreciation, so changed my mind and gave my packages to the staff. Dont forget the unseen kitchen and other staff ! Hard to be fair but I tried.
I always take an elastic clothesline and pegs, a rashie for snorkeling, and remember the sun screen on the back of your legs!!!!

I enjoy the pace of Toberua, being as glam as I want or not, snorkeling, the staff, the music, the food .... everything. I hope to return.

Room Tip: I like the lee side of the island but on my first visit their were kids playing Marco Polo in the po...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 November 2013

We've just returned from 10 days at Toberua. What a fantastic place! The rooms are a good size with fab views of the sea. We were on the windier side of the island but didn't mind it at all. The food is fantastic! The fish dinners we chose fab. You have a good selection of food to choose from and the staff find you each day to take your order. Everyone remembers your name and makes you feel very welcome. We went to picnic island and did the Mangrove forest trip which was great. My husband did a few dives and said the best by far was Shark reef, where the coral is the best he's ever seen. There is a reef just out the front of the island (restaurant side) which is great for snorkelling, lots to see. The weather wasn't the best but we still managed to get a bit of colour and most importantly relaxed! We will definitely be back! Vinaka Toberua!!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We arrived at Toberua Island for the first leg of our honeymoon trip. It was a great little resort; amazing amenities, great food, lots of activities - unfortuneatly, it rained the entire time we were there (3 days) but we managed to make the most of it - played golf, got to know the staff well, and indulged in the spa services. Fran is great!!
The staff/customer service was by far the best we received on our entire trip. The rooms were great; the bathrooms large, and the amenities by far the best in Fiji.
Highly recomend this place!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Tanoa Plaza Suva
Tanoa Plaza Suva
#6 of 13 in Suva
Town House Apartment Hotels Suva

Been to Toberua Island Resort? Share your experiences!