“Three nights was two too many”
Review of Club Oceanus

Club Oceanus
Halifax
“Three nights was two too many”
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Written in July 2013 during our stay; submitted November 2013.

We stayed for three nights and, for us, it was at least two nights too many. If we had to do it again, we might stay overnight before the morning shark dive and then move on by afternoon. But if we intended to stay in the area longer than a night, we would choose to stay somewhere else, even if it meant paying a little more. And, truth be told, even if we intended to stay in the area even for a night, knowing what we know, we would stay somewhere other than Club Oceanus.

To be clear, there is nothing fundamentally wrong with the place. But from our perspective, it lacks charm, character, and warmth entirely. And there were significant oversights in the cleaning of the room.

We stayed in a king room. The room itself gave a good first impression and appeared - at first blush - to be clean and comfortable, with a non-descript Motel 6 kind of basic appeal. We were quite put off, however, at having to discard used ---- <I'll leave the details to your imagination> that an amorous couple had, for some reason, put into the drawer of a nightstand and that weren't cleaned out by housekeeping. Ewwwwwww.

There are two cushioned wicker chairs, a king-sized bed that is surprisingly comfortable, with a nightstand on both sides, each with a bedside lamp. There is a counter on which to place personal belongings. And there is a closet with hangers on one side and shelves on another (difficult to access in our particular room because the sliding doors fought so loudly against the action that we were concerned with disturbing our neighbour and so moved all of our belongings to one side). The room has a high ceiling and carpeted floor.

In our room was a small kitchen area with sink, kettle, small selection of coffees and teas, microwave, and mini bar fridge. There were some plates, cookware, and cutlery. However, there were no washing up supplies and so it seems as though previous travelers have not been terribly conscientious and have used the dishware without washing it properly; in our room, some had been returned to the cupboard wet and had grown moldy. You'll want to look closely at anything before you use it. And don't trust that any of the dishware has been washed unless you buy washing-up supplies and do it yourself.

The bathroom is spacious with a modern shower, sink, and toilet. There are not enough places to hang wet towels, though. One small bar of soap and two bath towels are provided.

There is large window in the bedroom, another set of three smaller windows over the kitchen, and a window in the bathroom. All the windows are screened and the screens are in good condition. The front windows are covered by blackout curtain and the rear windows have closeable wood slats; the room is dark at night for a good sleep.

There is an airconditioner in the room (we never used it) and an overhead fan.

The rooms are in a low-rise block that faces a grassy 'field' with a small pool to one side and a volleyball net to the other; if anyone stays up at night in the cabana near the pool, you are likely to hear them in your room but it is more likely that everyone will go to bed relatively early. There is a bar/cafe on site that offers uninspired mediocre food for reasonable prices ($15FJ for a burger) - check the cutlery as it is not always cleaned very well.

The Aqua-Trek dive shop is on site, right at the water where the boat docks for convenient access to the dive boat and wash tanks; they will store your personal gear at the shop but specify in the waiver that they are not ultimately responsible for its security. If you are diving - even if over multiple days and are staying on-site and have prepaid your room with credit card on file - be sure to bring your cash in hand each morning before you dive because they are VERY interested in having their payment upfront.

We are very low-maintenance guests and don't tend to judge a place by the service that we receive and we seldom have anything to say about the staff unless they are unusually terrific (see my other reviews to confirm); I feel strongly that rating a room or hotel should NOT turn into an online job performance review. But in this case, we were staying at a place where breakfast and diving are included in our room package and where meals were most easily taken on-site: Thus, the services are very much a part of the overall experience. And because the service was so lackluster and made our stay feel oppressive because the staff seemed so oppressed, I simply cannot recommend the room with any zeal.

In my view, this place could be a gem and maybe it once was. Or maybe we happened to visit with the wrong assortment of other guests at the wrong time of the year. But if our experience was at all representative, it seems to us that there is a pervasive staff morale problem. The staff perform their jobs in a perfunctory manner and give the impression of being 'under thumb'; they seem inhibited and stiff. We found this very uncomfortable.

If you're set on staying at Club Oceanus, I will again emphasize that the rooms give a good impression and are comfortable enough (if you don't find anything terribly off-putting in your first search of the room) and the staff get the job done even if with reticence. But if you've come from somewhere with a bit of atmosphere or are making this your holiday destination of choice, you are likely to be disappointed. In my view, it is okay for a night to do the shark dive; but if my closest friends asked my advice, I wouldn't recommend that they to out of their way to stay for additional dives or activities; I would suggest that they stay only if they wanted a quick and convenient option for the shark dive and then were going to move on quickly to another destination. Even then, I would suggest that they look for other nearby options.

I've reviewed the on-site dive shop separately (Aquatrek). In short - be sure you have you own computer and are self-sufficient; the shark dive is good; don't bother with a reef dive - the service is poor and it isn't great diving.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Aoraki Mount Cook National Park (Te Wahipounamu), New Zealand
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Looking for a place to stay in Pacific Harbour wasn't easy - either more up market places or big dorm rooms. Really nothing for a standard double room for a budget traveller. Club Oceanus was more expensive than I really would have liked, but compared to other similar places in Fiji I thought it was quite reasonable value for money.

I really liked Club Oceanus. I was diving with Aqua Trek so it was really convenient to roll out of bed, get breakfast and walk over to the dive shop.

Brizo's Cafe (at Club Oceanus) was great - fresh tasty food at reasonable prices. Even if you aren't going to stay at Club Oceanus, I would recommend Brizo's for a meal if you are in Pacific Harbour or passing through. Far better food at better prices than I had elsewhere in Fiji.

The rooms were modern and clean. O.k no bedside lamps, but that wasn't the end of the world.

Definitely a good option for staying in Pacific Harbour.

Room Tip: If there looks as if there could be a big group at Brizo's in the evening, try to get a room at...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 September 2013 via mobile

As free independent travelers we stayed here as all other places in pacific harbour were either fully booked or too expensive! The staff were welcoming but managers never said boo to us! No bedside lamps for reading, expensive wifi, expensive food.... Basic bedding with 2 singles pushed together as a king bed but undersized duvet for covers...one good thing...a clean bathroom and kitchen!

• Stayed August 2013
Swansea Tasmania
Reviewed 6 August 2013

We had a King suite, which had a kitchenette. There is a small group of shops nearby, but a far better shopping area about 10 minutes walk along the road - the Arts Village. Club Oceanus is just over the bridge on the left-hand side coming into Pacific Harbour from Nadi, and the bus will drop you on the doorstep. The manager (Ashneel, I think - sorry if I have it wrong) is very welcoming and obliging. We found it pricey - it was certainly below the standard of some other places we stayed in yet were much cheaper. The kitchenette was unusable - not sufficient cooking utensils or pots, and what was there was dirty. Everything we used had to be cleaned. Tea and coffee facilities were very limited - no milk. One reason we booked this hotel was because it advertised a laundry. However, on enquiry we found this was not available. The shower was good, and the water hot. The continental breakfast, included, consisted of a few pieces of fruit, two pieces of toast, butter and tea or coffee. WIFI was available, but could not be accessed in the rooms - only in the restaurant. We ate one evening meal in the restaurant, but it wasn't impressive. Reading other reviews, I wonder if we were in the same hotel. I think this hotel is probably great for younger people, or people in the area for the diving (there is a Dive Centre on site) and other water activities, or wishing to have a base to explore the area. It is not really a good venue for people who just wish to relax in comfort. Beach access was through another hotel (The Pearl), which is probably where we should have booked, or The Arts Hotel.

Room Tip: The rooms - other than the dormitory - are on the ground floor in a row. Choice depends upon need si...
Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 28 July 2013

The above 4 is proven!

This is the place to be when we leaves our busy city life. It's so quiet (but of course that if you don't get a noisy neighbour). Ours was the double/twin size bed room. With our big luggages, the room is still spacious.

Bathroom is clean. Oceanus provides tea & coffee making facilities and a mini bar in the room. Overall room wise, it is clean and feel new. They have a pool as well and a bar by the river side. It is convenient for us because we are divers and the dive operator operates onsite just next to the river side bar.

The staff are helpful and friendly. Fijians are friendly lots.

The next time we return to Pacific Harbour, we will stay in Oceanus again.

1 Thank SeasonDiver
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 22 May 2013

When Tsulu Backpackers stuffed our group around we found ourselves here and did not regret the change at all. Our group of 28 almost booked out the place. Loved the quiet atmosphere (even though it was almost right on Queens Road). Staff bent over backwards to help us - whether it was taking us in at the last minute or getting a microwave and urn for us to use kitchen facilities in the dorm. We would definitely bring a group back here again.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Vicki B
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 8 May 2013

I am writing this as I am staying here.
Club Oceanus staff picked up where Uprising Resort screwed up my reservation and lost my reservation.
Esh, the general manager was fabulous in email communications to confirm my near-last minute reservations (no thanks to Uprising). He was also fabulous on my arrival.
Tima, the head housekeeper was equally as welcoming on my arrival--lovely woman.
I initially booked the dorm ( which was clean and spacious), but learned that I could move to a private room due to availability. I did so.
The room was alway kept clean and stocked of needs.
One plus, is the staff alway remembered my name and greeted me. A very nice touch and it made me feel at home.
Aqua-trek diving operates out of the same property. As of May 2013, they are PADI certified. Fantastic dive team. They also remember my name and greet me daily. They are professional, and take dive safety seriously.
Currently they do Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday shark feelings. This is a 2-dive feeding on each of these days with a 1- hour dive interval.
Touks, their head shark feeder is very knowledgeable about sharks, and if engaged, will tell you much about them.
The shark feed dive is a MUST. You will have a very different appreciation for sharks after.
Note: there are no cages for people to hide in. It is all in the open with the dive team having hand poles on hand to keep the sharks from invading your space.
With being here the beginning of May, it is very quiet, and not much night activity, but works for me......escaping the everyday....go, go, go, of the corporate world. Is nice just to be able to decompress.
The property has no beach, but you can walk 3 minutes to the beach thru one of the other resorts without issue.
Also, if you want, the Arts Village is only a 10 minute walk, and there are literally 3 convenience stores outside the property for snacks, drinks, and such.

Room Tip: Room 1 is furthest from the bar and dive shop--for those who would like more quietness. No fitness...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
#1 of 4 in Beqa Island
Mango Bay Resort Fiji
Mango Bay Resort Fiji
#8 of 9 in Sigatoka

Been to Club Oceanus? Share your experiences!