“Convenient location, poor accomodation”

Tsulu Beach Bunkhouse and Apartments
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Pacific Harbour
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Convenient location, poor accomodation”
Reviewed 19 December 2011

Tsulu is not a beach resort. It is conveniently located across the street from the beach, in walking distance to a supermarket, several restaurants, tourist shops, and other hotels.

We brought some food from Suva in hopes of saving some money by preparing our own meals, given that we had reserved a room with cooking facilities. The shared cooking facilities were inadequate in several reagards. No stovetop- instead a microwave, rice cooker, and huge electric frying pan. Not very easy to make use of. In addition, there were not enough utensils/plates/bowls, etc. for even one couple, let alone six (who we shared the kitchen with). Ventilation in the kitchen/common room is non-existent, which can make for very odorous situations. We ended up not being able to cook all our meals and spent more money than we had planned to.

However, because our dining plans had changed, we ended up making taking advantage of the nearby pizza restaurant (which was pretty yummy) and also spending a nice morning at the nearby Uprising Resort (where we had a great swim, super lunch, and even made use of some free wireless internet)!

Our bedroom was clean and AC worked great. While we did have hot water, we unfortunately didn't have much cold water, so showering was uncomfortable and awkward.

We were aware of the state of this accomodation because we had stayed here a few months earlier. During our previous stay, we felt as we were the only couple there and it felt somewhat haunted! During this stay, however, the place was full. If it wasn't for the beach across the street and other nicer resorts in the area, we would not have stayed here.

Tsulu is good for groups and backpackers who don't mind roughing it a bit, are on a tight budget and want to stay in the area, but do not want to spend the money for nearby, more luxurious accomodations.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank rdacks

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 March 2009

I stayed in Tsulu for two nights, which was all I needed. After about 10 days going to very remote lodges and backpackers throughout fiji, I appreciated at first having electricity 24/7, a constant supply of hot water, a spotless bed in an empty dorm, a choice of restaurants etc...

But soon enough you realise how westernized this place is. I wouldn't dream of spending a week's holiday here, why come to Fiji at all? Everything that looks authentic is fake, and that's very easy to tell when you've had a chance to see a true fijian village/ceremony/meal etc.

I have not found fijian food that exciting throughout my trip so I looked forward to some old familiar favourites, I have to admit, like spaghetti bolognese... well as hard as it sounds, one of the only two restaurants open at night managed to make a bad one.

There was fast-ish internet but that's about it. The place was completely deserted as well - as far as I could tell there was no one else staying on the entire wing of the building which was quite spooky because all the rooms were big, empty dorms... you could hear your echo. The bar was dead in terms of atmosphere, but nonetheless they played music very loud until 1am to make it sound like someone's having a party... the restaurants were pretty empty too. The place fills up at specific times in the day with pacific ocean cruise-goers that stop in Fiji for one day, in Pacific Harbour of all places, to experience a "true fijian experience" of a dance show, kava ceremony and meal...

The location is quite bad too, right by a busy road, not in a pretty spot at all. There is a tree canopy zip activity nearby though which is quite fun and about the only thing you can do on a sunday. I came to Pacific Harbour for the shark diving with Aquatrek, and that was awesome, but that's a different review...

Basically, if you're staying a long time in fiji, perhaps book yourself a night or two to recharge your camera and have a nice, long, hot shower, but soon you won't be able to get out of there quickly enough!

• Stayed October 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank Lis_in_transit

Travellers are raving about these Pacific Harbour hotels

adelaide
Reviewed 29 January 2009

We chose Tsulu due to the existence of the two bedroom apartments - fairly rare in Fiji but necessary for families of five unless you have the big bucks for two separate hotel rooms. We had also read good reviews prior to it reopening, obviously written by people who had not yet stayed there. The room rate for the five of us was well over $200.00 per night, including breakfast. (We had just come from Naigani Island Resort where we paid $150.00 per night including breakfast for a two bedroom, two bathroom apartment, so were expecting similar.)

The 'apartment' was quite a shock! As the property had been closed for a while and had just reopened we had expected that some type of renovation had been performed. This is definitely not the case. The bathroom was horrendous - a visual assault of mismatched 1960's tiling and fixtures complete with 40+ years of mould. Similarly, the mismatched 1960's/1970's furniture looked like it had been picked up at a garage sale for a couple of bucks. The kitchen was more presentable, but overall it was a fairly depressing spectacle. The bedrooms were tiny, particularly when the rollaway was put in the second bedroom leaving no floorspace at all, with windows facing straight out onto the Queens Road for guaranteed all night noise. On the plus side the kids loved the pool which was obviously new, complete with kitsch cannibal pot for a spa, slide and cannibal face facade.

The evening meal was accompanied by a DJ playing loud music and many ex pats and locals, who were enjoying (too many) refreshments at the bar. This was definitely not a family -friendly atmosphere. Next morning we were looking forward to our included breakfast, but got downstairs in time to see the birds finishing off the plate of paw paw that was baking out in the blazing sun - apart from that we each got an individual packet of cereal and milk from a jug that was also sitting out in the sun. The apartment was upstairs, there is no lift, nor any assistance to haul heavy luggage up and down the stairs.

Having read reviews by the backpacking set I'm sure this place is above average and good value for money for that traveller type. If you are a family on holiday avoid it like the plague. It is not family oriented accommodation and the two bedroom apartments are very poor value for money.

• Liked — Pool
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
New Zealand
Reviewed 19 June 2008

On my return to New Zealand and with time to reflect on my stay at Pacific Harbour I believe I need to share my views on the Tsulu accommodation. Tsulu was suggested to me by the Fiji golf association and through them I made direct contact with the complex in booking my accommodation. Communication and confirming bookings was certainly made very easy with the help of the Tsulu manager and the web site accommodation photos (although quite misleading)
I decided to bus from Nadi airport down to Pacific Harbour and had informed Tsulu of my plans. Something you learn very quickly in Fiji is don't be backward in coming forward, don't assume. I assumed when I paid for my ticket the bus driver new where I was to be dropped off (wrong) In the dark and not Knowing where Pacific Harbour was, we passed Tsulu by 20klm and only way back was by taxi. A Positive, the taxi driver was very friendly & fares cheap.
A positive for Tsulu.
Knowing that I was arriving the reception staff stayed open until I arrived around 10.15pm (usually closes at 9.00pm). Tsulu staff are some of the most friendly people I have met (especially the reception staff). Email facilities were good and rates fair, taxi services brilliant (longest wait from calling about 2 min) albiet various rates, but cheap.
The pool, bar and surrounding grounds were nicely presented and did match the website photo's.
The negative for Tsulu in my view was the accommodtion. It didn't resemble the website photo's at all. I booked the Waterfall Delux suite and was very dissapointed. I assumed (don't assume) there may of been some compliments, i.e. coffee/tea milk sachet's, soap or shampoo, especially on arrival. NO. At $135.00 per night I expected a little more!! Room service did not exist until I asked for clean sheets & towel (day 2) but was informed you did have to request this service. The bathroom was in need of a thorough scrub out and the bath itself was horribly discoloured. I could go on about the room, but really, it was dissappointing.
Breakfast was included !! but don't get excited (a slice of toast wouldn't go amiss). Again at $135.00 per night i feel Tsulu could go a little further. As an example I stayed in an up-market hotel at Nadi $90.00 a night and had all the trimmings.

I'll be back next year to the Fiji Golf Open but maybe give Tsulu accommodation a miss. Will call in to see the staff though.

Stayed June 2008
Charlottetown, PEI
Reviewed 17 March 2007

I have no clue what the other guy is talking about? Me and a travel companion spent 9 days @ Tsulu staying in the dorm rooms and had a blast. We were only suppose to stay 3 nights but extended our stay because the place was clean, people were friendly and the facilities were great. The room was cleaned everyday, sheets changed and a new towel on the bed....What else could u ask for? The cleaning girls were friendly and u always got a big Bula with a wide Fijian grin every morning. The bathrooms were spotless with fresh Hibiscus flowers on the counter to add that little extra...This place really went the extra mile to make us enjoy our stay.
The staff in general were kind and curtious and always willing to help. They were phenomenal at organizing activities for us and making sure everything was planned out.
This was one of the coolest backpackers I've stayed at...the pool and Tiki bar are amazing how can u beat a swim up bar? Loads of fun! The food was great at Tsulu and also there were many options available through out the Arts Village.
What else can I say but I would recommend this place to any travelers passing through Pac Harbour or if u'r planning a stay then I would recommend Tsulu.
I really think the guy who hated the place was comparing apples to orange when comparing Tsulu to the Warwick. A backpacker vs. a 4.5 star resort...hmmmm Just doesn't add up to me???
Anyway...Highly recommended from these two travelers.

Hope u chose to check it out,
Justin C.
P.S. We have been travelling for 3 years so we do have a bit of experience with backpackers ;)

Stayed March 2007
3 Thank Justin_Credible_1978
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 9 November 2006

Let's get the first thing straight - it's not on a beach. The beach is about 400m away across the main Nadi to Suva road. Secondly, take note of the Bunkhouse bit,- not the apartments. We booked this accommodation after finding their website and reading some fantastic reviews. The website made it look like we had found the perfect place for our week in Fiji. In fact, I was more excited about staying here than anywhere else in our 10 weeks RTW trip. We arrived after dark at about 8pm after a 3 hour journey from Nadi and were shown to our 2 bed apartment. The staff were very friendly and welcoming and took our bags for us and checked us in efficiently. We were presented with 2 sets of keys that would have looked more in place swinging from the belt of a prison warder. After trying 7 of them the 8th and final one opened the door. It wasn't really necessary to use the keys as it was clear that some time recently the whole door had been forced as the frame clearly showed signs of a crowbar. When we entered the room, it was obvious that it wasn't as we had expected. The furniture looked as if it had come from a 1950's apartment and there was an unusal smell to the place. The apartment was best described as minimalist or spartan. I entered the kitchen area and immediately noticed that the previous occupant(s) appeared to have left the contents of his/her nose smeared across the front of the refridgerator. This was swiftly followed but a shout of "Oh my god come and look at this" from my wife who, upon turning on the light in the main bedroom had noticed blood smeared across the light switch and on the wall in the form of a bloody handprint. We called the receptionist back up and asked to be moved. She was very apologetic and offered us another apartment, with an equally large number of keys. On this one we were less successful, because none of the keys would unlock the door. We left them to it whilst we went for something to eat. It should be noted that although it is in the middle of the Arts Village which has at least 20 eating places, all bar 1 shut at 6pm. We eventually got into the other room and found it as bad as the first with the exception of the nasal contents and other bodily fluids. The next morning I was up at dawn and waiting for the internet cafe to open and spent all morning booking alternative accommodation. It is worth noting that the rate for the Tsulu was FJ$200 / night room only. We stayed in the Warwick Resort, with breakfast, Lunch and the kids full board for FJ$300 / night. This is definately a backpackers place and no better, although I don't think even the most budget conscious traveller wouldexpect condtions such as these

• Liked — The Arts Village
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't stay here until they clean it up
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
9 Thank jon2211
#1 of 9 in Sigatoka
Nanuku Auberge Resort
Nanuku Auberge Resort
#1 of 5 in Pacific Harbour

Been to Tsulu Beach Bunkhouse and Apartments? Share your experiences!