This review comes from two 22 year old Canadian girls with high traveling standards: WE LOVED UPRISING!
The bures are literally just like the photos on the website, clean, spacious, with hibiscus flowers at every turn. They are cleaned daily (late afternoon), but the same linen is used on the beds. We did get new towels twice during our 4 night stay. The outdoor shower (as everyone has said before) is great, not the hottest water, but the experience is well worth it! There are only 13 bures, and we stayed during a slow period, so the small resort was even more personal. The activities staff nearly outnumbered the guests and the guys would try to engage us in volleyball games, horse boarding or other activities - there wasn't excessive pressure to participate like at resorts in the Caribbean. The pool was exceptionally clean as well and the grounds were raked daily. The bugs weren't too bad, but I definitely suggest brining bug spray for night.
You must try horse bording - a mix of waterskiiing behind a horse while on a surf board. It was utterly ridiculous, and I ingested far too much salt water. My friend got up quite quickly and the experience in itself is a blast. You can also take the horses for lovely 4km rides down the beach and brush for $20.
The Jet ski safari offered by the resort was also a blast. Twin share tour $205 each, included snorkeling at bird island as well as lunch and more snorkeling around a larger island, and plenty of time for exploring in whatever direction you want. We drove out for 30-45min to these sites and even passed over the shark dive site on the return home. Well worth the money, as the guides let us each drive back (the guides took the back seat on each jet ski). The machines were quite new and in great working order. Everything felt safe and was incredibly fun - just be prepared for a sore bum the next day from bouncing up and down on the waves during the ride.
The meals at the restaurant are very reasonable and presentation was adorable. Beer is $3.5 (all prices FJD) for local draft to $9 for Heineken bottles, while cocktails were pricey at $14 but worth the cost for such lovely presentation. The pizza($14), nachos($10), stir fry ($14), fish n' chips($10) and even steak($28) were all well priced and offered large portions. The service at the bar and restaurant were great. Paul and Arhcie, the bartenders are very kind and love to talk to guests. They taught us a few key phrases from the 14 different regional dialects of Fiji... basically, just greet people with "BULA" and say thanks with "VINAKA".
We also recommend visiting the arts village (shops close between 4:30 and 5 most nights), where the Oasis Cafe has $9 burger meals, and Perkin's pizza has great things as well. Feel free to barter quite hard with the store keepers as the wooden carvings are beautiful but purposely overpriced - we were offered discounts immediately upon entering the store. The art's village is only a 10 min walk from the resort, but we wouldn't recommend doing it past dusk, as street lights are a rarity in the area.
I would suggest researching your day trips and planning them ahead of time. We knew what we wanted to do but waited to book until we arrived to see what the weather was like. The dives fill up and some rafting tours and dives (shark feeding) are only offered a few days a week, so planning things ahead of time helps. Everything can be booked at reception and they pick you up at the front door of the resort. We did the soft coral dive with AquaTrek Adventures. The tank fills are very generous (230bar) and guides are very professional once you're in the water. The equipment was in good condition and conversation with our small group of other divers passed the time between dives.
We loved the free internet at Uprising! They also have wireless if you bring your own laptop. Not having to pay $10/hour to be online was a nice change from our other hotels in Australia.
A quick note on getting to the resort. It takes about 2 hours if you arrange a private car with the resort, costing $170 FJD. Or for $17 you can take a coach bus for tourists that goes from the airport all the way to Suva. This trip is 3.5 hours due to all the stops. It's cheap and a better option if you aren't in a rush. Upon arriving at the airport there are plenty of information and tour people just hanging around. It's a little sketchy and we had to wait for the bus for about an hour, but overall it was fine. We took Coral Sunshine bus - it broke down and we waited roadside for an hour on the way to Pacific Harbor. - Again, it was a risk/choice we made freely and nothing bad happened on our way home.
Overall the trip was lovely and we had a great time. Regardless of the weather you can't have a bad time in Fiji. The prices were all great (especially since they include tax and tip which adds quite a bit in Canada), and the young vibe was most appreciated. This resort had a wide range of guests, several french families with young children, backpackers from the US, locals who frequented for meals, and Canadians. The staff are very accommodating - anything from food requests to arranging transportation. They genuinely care!
If we could afford the flight back to Fiji we would stay at the uprising again without a doubt!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Stylishly nestled on 2 kilometers of sandy beachfront between tropical palms, Uprising offers adventure, relaxation and sheer natural beauty all in one stunning safe location. Imagine a fun friendly place right on the beach where the young and young-at-heart come to play.Authentic Fijian accommodation options range from traditional thatched beachfront Villas and Bures (cottages) to fun tree-house shared facilities. Choose to relax on the beach or by the pool, and have a beachside massage, or take advantage of the many activities on offer. Scuba dive world famous Beqa Lagoon and experience shark diving and soft coral scuba sights, or head into the mountains for a whitewater rafting trip. Other daily activities include game fishing, jet ski island safari’s, golf, shopping at the Arts Village & Cultural Centre of Pacific Harbour. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Uprising Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Uprising Beach Hotel Pacific Harbour
- Hotel Uprising Beach
- Uprising Beach Resort Fiji, South Pacific - Pacific Harbour