“It ís paradise!”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Pacific Harbour
Netherlands
“It ís paradise!”
Reviewed 20 January 2009

They promise paradise and it was for us. After a 3,5 hour bustrip from Nadi airport(only 10 FJD per person one way in a aircondintioned bus... taxi would take only 2 hours but would be 180 FJD) we were dropped in front of the resort... a dusty road to the resort. A friendly "Bula" from the security guide and then you step in to paradise! All green gardens, authentic Bures, nice swimmingpool, good restaurant and friendly staff and a beach full of palmtrees and beqa island in the distance. We booked a beachfront bure. This is a spacious authentic bure, no airconditioning but the fan was good enough. The veranda is great. You can sit there all day in the shade, or dry if a Fijian shower is passing by. The personal outside shower was fun, handy too, no sandy feet in the bure.
Lots of activity possible,we hired a jetski and we went out snorkling. Ask before you enter the boat how much time you have. We didn't know and jumped back in too quickly. The reef 500 meters in front of the resort is terrific. No need to dive.
There isn't that much to do outside the resort. Pacific Harbour has a nice art village, with some shops, a supermarket and some restaurants. Suva is 45 minutes by minibus.
We didn't trust to leave the resort in the dark, but this wasn't necessary. The restaurant provides enough variation for a week of good diners and lunches.
They had a great party at New Years eve. We liked it that local people visit Uprising for drinks or enjoying the beach.

• Liked — Bures and friendly staff
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed December 2008
1 Thank Annekewes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Perth
Reviewed 9 January 2009

We stayed at the uprising for 7 nights, just after the new years period. This holiday was a surprise gift to my girlfriend, so I had planned everything for us, flights, accommodation, transfers, tours etc. I choose the Uprising by the positive reviews on trip advisor, and there informative clear website.

We were picked up at Nausori Airport, just outside of Suva. I had decided on this because of the nightmare stories I had read about the drive from Nadi to Pacific Harbor, so we flew to Nausori Airport from Nadi with Pacific Sun. (At the end of the trip this proved to be an absolutely brilliant idea :P As there had been very heavy flooding around Nadi, blocking several bridges. Many people had missed there flights driving to Nadi, and the people who had made it told stories of the struggle and headache it was to check in on time, while we just leisurely flew over the top of them.)

We were picked up from some rickety old car, with broken headlights, it was also pouring down, I could not over the bonnet because of the heavy rain, but that didn't stop our driver doing 80km down some very old roads, quite the thrill ride we were not expecting! Now it doesn't matter if this is "Fiji" or "You shouldn't expect 5 star quality", I think safe transport is mandatory, and the uprising failed big time here. Even the Uprising bus was a piece of junk that needs to be replaced. It's weird how they have obviously spent millions on this place, yet use cars that are worth $500??

As mentioned previously the burees, we stayed in number 4, are amazing, very clean, modern and right on the beach. They provide the basics, seats, beds, fridge, tables, toilet, shower etc but do it with some real style. So there is no TV, Air con, internet access, phone, we knew this ahead of time, so was no great surprise. A TV would of been the only thing I think we would of liked and maybe some wireless in the rooms, after a whole day of swimming, going on tours, jet skiing, eat and drinking, you just want to rest! A TV is a perfect companion for that. Luckily we had brought our laptop with dozens of movies on the hard drive, and some external speakers to have some good audio, this was a very smarty idea. And I strongly suggest anyone bringing kids to do this, plus any toys or games they enjoy. The buress are starting to show signs of some maintenance issues, however these are small, falling pieces of bamboo, nails sticking out etc.

We had breakfast, lunch and dinner many times in the restaurant:

Breakfast: The free breakfast is fantastic, with a selection of cold and hot. Items such as fresh fruit, toast, baked beans, porridge, cereal, coffee and tea are available. My only gripe was it was not always fresh, what ever wasn't used that day, was used for the next days breakfast, I didn't pay $180 a night to eat twice heated baked beans or 2 day old cut fruit, the toaster was constantly having issues as well, which always created a line.

Lunch: Lunch was great, we tried about half the food on the menu, the food was fresh and well prepared. However if you ordered the same dish on separate days, it would not be the same, there were always different spices or ingredients added. very odd.

Dinner: Same as lunch menu, with the exception of a Chefs special, which added some extra variety. Usually the entree sizes were to big, you would be full after eating it and not looking forward to the rest of your meal, if they halved the size and charged the same i would still be happy. Stay away from the steak, unsurprisingly, it was tough as old boots.

Drinks: The Fiji beer range was quite well priced, especially when compared to other resorts in the area.

The cocktails were good, but not great, so we were pretty disappointed with them overall. Like the meals, the cocktails were not prepared, or used the same ingredients every time. You would have a fantastic one on Monday, and a rubbish one on Tuesday.

For something different, eat at the bistro at The Pearl, it's more expensive, but a nice change from the Uprising menu. We also agreed a better restaurant overall as well.

The two cafes at the Arts Village are nice also, if your in a burger or pizza mood, good for a lunch.

The organized activities are great, with a large selection available. We didn't do many of them, as we had organized our our tours, but the jet skiis were getting a good workout with other resort guests.

The age gap between oldest and youngest guest was a surprise, I assumed it would of attracted a majority 20's crowd, which it did for the most part, but there was a nice mix of toddlers, teenagers, 50's and elderly people, so keep it interesting. So I would say this resort is suitable for all ages.

The service was also good, but not great. The restaurant service was a little over bearing, you would have every waiter come up to you and ask you the same questions, they obviously got very bored with the lack of customers. Drinks would sometimes take 20 minutes to arrive, fiji time or no fiji time, that is sllooowwww. We didn't mind that dinner was a 30 minutes wait or more, we would just enjoy a few drinks and chat, just as long as we got our drinks quickly!

The reception was very good, and very helpful, they ordered taxis, and confirmed our tours quickly and with no fuss.

Service was not perfect though, we had two blown light bulbs in our room, I asked for them to be replaced a couple of times, but was never done, only something small I know, but annoying none the less. House keeping was also very random, sometimes they would come at 10am, sometimes 5pm, I'm not sure if our sheets were changed once during our stay. We did get fresh towels every day, except we didn't get any new hand towels after the first day, which were nice to soak in water and rest on your forehead as it gets hot!

So overall, a pleasant stay, but after 7 nights, we were ready to come home to my TV and Air Con and other luxuries! It was fantastic staying in a bure for something different, and I'm glad we did it, it will be something we will remember forever. However this resort is missing a few basic luxuries we enjoy, so we are doubtful to return to the Uprising. Fiji was an amazing experience, with such friendly people and amazing culture, I hope one day we can return.

• Liked — The Bure style accommodation
  • Disliked — The on and off service, food and drinks not tasting consistant
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Hertz01
Santa Fe,NM.
Reviewed 30 December 2008

Lovely place - lots to do - don't miss Zip Fiji - a fantastic experience! Have been to Fiji many times and yes, the flight from LA is long - just part of the experience. I always take the Coral Sun bus from Nadi to Suva - inexpensive & love the scenery on the drive plus the time it leaves works out with the flight. I think many people run into trouble when they don't have an adventerous spirit in Fiji. Do Not Expect for everything to be like it is "at home"! After all, that is why one goes to Fiji - for something different. Keep an open mind. If you want everything to be absolutely perfect then stay at a 5 star resort & pay LOTS more.

Stayed June 2008
2 Thank catannSantaFe_NM_
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed 28 December 2008

We chose this resort based on the mass of 5- and 4-star reviews on TripAdvisor; what a mistake. If those reviews are real, then those reviewers must have stayed somewhere else.

In its favor, the rooms are new and spacious, the snorkeling was superb, and the staff friendly and attentive. But that's all the good points. The resort is open to the public on weekdays and they come in quantity, dragging their screaming children and setting up camp wherever there's a bit of shade. The pool quickly fills with locals to the point where there's no room for the guests. The food, which can take a hour from ordering to table, is horrible. I had a hamburger - raw, with chunks of gristle - and my wife had tacos on stale shells with stale pieces of garlic bread.

The bartender, Paul, is a good chap who mixes some interesting drinks, but again, his concoctions are the exception to the rule.

The beach is nice, some good hardpack for almost 1/2 a mile, so there's walking and the water is clear and warm. But if you want to sit in a lounge chair, good luck. There are only 7 of them and just 6 cushions.

Water sports are not included and are expensive and limited. Two jet skis, one boat to tow floating rafts, and couple of wind driven catamarans in need of repair.

The worst of the experience was the ongoing construction of the beach bar in time for New Year's Eve. The crew worked until midnight last night, banging and sawing in total disregard for the guests. And of course, once it's complete, it will be first used by the hoards of locals who will descend on the resort this week.

Yes, the place was peaceful on Saturday, since there's nothing to do besides sit in the sun and read, but the activities they show on their website just don't exist.

For the record, we travel extensively and have spent many wonderful weeks in places like Jamaica and Costa Rica where a tourist is respected and appreciated. If you are considering the Uprising because of its cheap price, I would recommend you save your money and go somewhere else.

• Liked — Leaving it
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
6 Thank fawnridge
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 13 December 2008

I have just returned from vacation in Fiji. My girlfriend and I stayed at Uprising for 6 nights and loved every night of it!!! This was my first trip to Fiji and defiantly will not be my last. The only down fall to the whole trip would have to be the traveling to get there. It’s a 10 hr flight from LA and then when you arrive in Nadi the resort is another 96 miles away. We flew Air Pacific from LAX and I had heard good and bad things about this airline. In my opinion I would have to say it was very crowded and the not the most comfortable flight. When we landed we decided to ride the bus to our resort to save some money. This ride cost $17 FJD and took almost 4 hrs, when in a taxi you could make it there in 2 hrs or less. The bus makes constant stops and it really gets annoying and time consuming. A Taxi will cost around $150 FJD from Nadi to Uprising. During our stay we made friends with a Taxi driver in Pacific Harbor named Raj he was very helpful and was very reasonable on fares. I am including his local cell # (Raj 9746976) just tell him you got the # from Simone and Kevin from the states.

During our stay at Uprising I found our Beach Front Bure to be exactly as advertised. It had plenty of room and was very clean. The water in Bure is completely safe to drink and quite tasty actually. It was really hard to believe the rate we paid ($180 FJD/night) for such a nice place. The resort as a whole is very small and the staff is very friendly we made friends with a most of the staff. Paul the bartender was always whipping up all kinds of drinks for us. The food at the resort isn’t 5 star dining and would be the only thing they may need improvements on. We ate most meals here; we also walked over to Pacific Harbor a few times and ate at Oasis which has really good food. There is also a super market at PH where we bought groceries to put in our room/fridge to save on eating out as much. As for activities, I would highly recommend doing the Jet Ski Snorkeling Safari it was defiantly worth the money….watch out for the ride back from the Island because the tide will be coming in and it’s quite a bumpy ride...LOL. One thing that was very nice was that the bar/dining area had Wi-Fi this made it very easy for me to keep up with emails on vacation.

Final thoughts…I would highly recommend this resort it’s only been around for 3 years and has been kept up very nicely. The price is extremely cheap for what you get. Other resorts in the area (The Perl) to name one are way overpriced. My money was well spent here and I would recommend this place for all ages, families, and couples. If you have further questions feel free to message me.

-Kevin-

• Liked — How nice everyone and everything was
  • Disliked — Food could be better but wasn't that bad
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
5 Thank kjordan59
Melbourne
Reviewed 17 November 2008

We returned last week from our First visit to Fiji. What can i say??? It would rate as one of the best holidays i have ever had. We booked through a Nadi based Travel Agent (not my best idea, with lessons learned).
I travelled with my Partner and two teenage children.
After a long drive 2.25 hours drive in a hire car in the pouring rain from Nadi Airport we arrived. ((We had also endured a gruelling 10 hours in transit before that. ))
From the moment we arrived at The Uprising Beach Resort we were welcomed. The service was fantastic. The rain stopped just as we arrived. The porters unloaded the many bags we had lugged there, and delivered us to our room. I was shocked when we were shown to our room, i was expecting a small room with a double bed and a set of bunks or single and trundle. The size of our room was huge about 8m x 8m. We had plenty of room even with a queen bed and two full sized single beds. We had a lounge suite and large coffee table. The room also had a sink, Fridge, and coffee & tea making facilities. The whole atmosphere of the room was great, right down to the outside open roofed shower. The water temp and pressure was also good. We opened our front door to a wonderful view of the ocean with Bega Island in the distance. We stayed at The Uprising for 4 nights, but could have easily stayed another 4 with all the activities available at the resort and in the area. it was close by to the FijiZip Lining, and Rivers Fiji river rafting and Kayaking. Both activities not to be missed. The nearby Village of Pacific Harbour is very quaint. They have a cultural village display, but as we ran out of time will save that for our next visit early next year. Our room was serviced each morning and the fresh flowers left was a nice touch. It was an awsome experience to wake each morning and walk the 10 meters accross the sand to the white sand beach and take an early morning swim before breakfast. The included Breakfast was a buffet of cereals, toast and spreads, and a hot dish. Coffee, Tea and juice was also offered. We had dinner at the resort on two nights, and the meals were fantastic. We had read alot of reviews that said stay off the mainland and head straight to the islands. We decided to do both. I believe that The Pacific Harbour area has a lot to offer and definately recommend that a mix of the culture was the best decision i made. I will be returning to Fiji, and will definately stay at The Uprising Bech Resort again. PS. We had almost no rain after our first night. It was a little cloudy at times, but that became a welcome relief from the sun.

• Liked — The outdoor Shower
  • Disliked — absolutely nothing
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
4 Thank Travel_Bugz64
Toronto
Reviewed 17 September 2008

This review comes from two 22 year old Canadian girls with high traveling standards: WE LOVED UPRISING!

The bures are literally just like the photos on the website, clean, spacious, with hibiscus flowers at every turn. They are cleaned daily (late afternoon), but the same linen is used on the beds. We did get new towels twice during our 4 night stay. The outdoor shower (as everyone has said before) is great, not the hottest water, but the experience is well worth it! There are only 13 bures, and we stayed during a slow period, so the small resort was even more personal. The activities staff nearly outnumbered the guests and the guys would try to engage us in volleyball games, horse boarding or other activities - there wasn't excessive pressure to participate like at resorts in the Caribbean. The pool was exceptionally clean as well and the grounds were raked daily. The bugs weren't too bad, but I definitely suggest brining bug spray for night.

You must try horse bording - a mix of waterskiiing behind a horse while on a surf board. It was utterly ridiculous, and I ingested far too much salt water. My friend got up quite quickly and the experience in itself is a blast. You can also take the horses for lovely 4km rides down the beach and brush for $20.

The Jet ski safari offered by the resort was also a blast. Twin share tour $205 each, included snorkeling at bird island as well as lunch and more snorkeling around a larger island, and plenty of time for exploring in whatever direction you want. We drove out for 30-45min to these sites and even passed over the shark dive site on the return home. Well worth the money, as the guides let us each drive back (the guides took the back seat on each jet ski). The machines were quite new and in great working order. Everything felt safe and was incredibly fun - just be prepared for a sore bum the next day from bouncing up and down on the waves during the ride.

The meals at the restaurant are very reasonable and presentation was adorable. Beer is $3.5 (all prices FJD) for local draft to $9 for Heineken bottles, while cocktails were pricey at $14 but worth the cost for such lovely presentation. The pizza($14), nachos($10), stir fry ($14), fish n' chips($10) and even steak($28) were all well priced and offered large portions. The service at the bar and restaurant were great. Paul and Arhcie, the bartenders are very kind and love to talk to guests. They taught us a few key phrases from the 14 different regional dialects of Fiji... basically, just greet people with "BULA" and say thanks with "VINAKA".

We also recommend visiting the arts village (shops close between 4:30 and 5 most nights), where the Oasis Cafe has $9 burger meals, and Perkin's pizza has great things as well. Feel free to barter quite hard with the store keepers as the wooden carvings are beautiful but purposely overpriced - we were offered discounts immediately upon entering the store. The art's village is only a 10 min walk from the resort, but we wouldn't recommend doing it past dusk, as street lights are a rarity in the area.

I would suggest researching your day trips and planning them ahead of time. We knew what we wanted to do but waited to book until we arrived to see what the weather was like. The dives fill up and some rafting tours and dives (shark feeding) are only offered a few days a week, so planning things ahead of time helps. Everything can be booked at reception and they pick you up at the front door of the resort. We did the soft coral dive with AquaTrek Adventures. The tank fills are very generous (230bar) and guides are very professional once you're in the water. The equipment was in good condition and conversation with our small group of other divers passed the time between dives.

We loved the free internet at Uprising! They also have wireless if you bring your own laptop. Not having to pay $10/hour to be online was a nice change from our other hotels in Australia.

A quick note on getting to the resort. It takes about 2 hours if you arrange a private car with the resort, costing $170 FJD. Or for $17 you can take a coach bus for tourists that goes from the airport all the way to Suva. This trip is 3.5 hours due to all the stops. It's cheap and a better option if you aren't in a rush. Upon arriving at the airport there are plenty of information and tour people just hanging around. It's a little sketchy and we had to wait for the bus for about an hour, but overall it was fine. We took Coral Sunshine bus - it broke down and we waited roadside for an hour on the way to Pacific Harbor. - Again, it was a risk/choice we made freely and nothing bad happened on our way home.

Overall the trip was lovely and we had a great time. Regardless of the weather you can't have a bad time in Fiji. The prices were all great (especially since they include tax and tip which adds quite a bit in Canada), and the young vibe was most appreciated. This resort had a wide range of guests, several french families with young children, backpackers from the US, locals who frequented for meals, and Canadians. The staff are very accommodating - anything from food requests to arranging transportation. They genuinely care!

If we could afford the flight back to Fiji we would stay at the uprising again without a doubt!

• Liked — great price, friendly staff and beautiful scenery
  • Disliked — distance from the airport
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with friends
#8 of 9 in Sigatoka
Gecko's Resort
Gecko's Resort
#5 of 9 in Sigatoka

Been to Uprising Beach Resort? Share your experiences!