“Stay if you wanna get robbed”

White Sandy Beach Dive Resort
Reviewed 13 January 2014

If you're staying here because of Awesome Adventures....keep an eye on your belongings! The bar ran out of any drinks, so they sent us down to the next resort.....when i checked my bag the next day, $250 had been stolen from it.

If you're picking and choosing your islands, there are definitely better to go to.

There's also LOADS of flies who don't leave you alone, and cats that jump and eat your food from your plate. And you can be waiting at the bar and they just ignore you....i get that it's fiji time, but that means slower not not at all.

There is a little kid there though who is awesome.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank teebs26

Reviewed 17 October 2013

Do not go here, at first I thought great people great little resort etc until they stole my passport! The guys who stole my belongings still work there. I had my stuff padlocked away but they took a knife to my bag.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Kezza882013
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Having read the other views I noticed a lot of the older ones point to issues, but having just visited there I did not encounter those issues. I suspect that the review which mentions dogs being kicked was from another island, because I don't recognise that bathroom at all.

The island was great, from the start to finish. There was a guitar playing, song singing greeting when I arrived, followed shortly by lunch. Yes, there are drums played to let you know what time the meals are served, and there is not food served at other times, but I brought some snack food on the mainland so I was never hungry. The food was good, a little on the small portion side but I eat a lot so I suspect most people would have found it okay. There was a great chicken meal the second night. Most meals included rice. We had cake one night. Breackfasts were pancakes cereal, and dumplings. Orange juice was served with one meal, breackfast I think.

I chose this island specifically because I looked at it on Google Easrth and wanted to go bush walking. It was ideal for that. I wanted to be away from people and crowds. It was perfect for that purpose. I think there was at most 12 guests on the island. When I left there were 5. If you walk over to Honeymoon beach, please note it is an easy walk, but a bit steep. The local land owner asks for a $2 Fiji donation, about a dollar Australian. It was well worth it, that is a very nice beach and you get it almost to yourself.

As others have pointed out, the beach at low tide has a coral reef, at high tide you can walk way out and snorkle there. Be prepared to wade to and from the boat at low tide though.

I'm not sure what the whingers are whinging about this place. It was beautiful, quiet, the staff were wonderful and not intrusive, and the food adequate. I slept in a Bure and was very happy with it. It was clean, has a toilet, outdoor shower and electricity at set times. The beaches were beautiful and white, the hammocks were so inviting!

My only gripes were that gthe toilet paper tended not to be restocked and that the local men tended to be over eagre to get into female gueusts beds.

I think some of the negative reviews indicate too high expectations for a basic one coconut (as the company puts it) resort.

Room Tip: The Bures were nice, though basic. The dorm room by the sea was also very nice. Some Bures seemed to...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 May 2013

White sandy beach resort was amazing.
The best staff who are all so friendly and happy. Awesome vibe, relaxing and amazing! After dinner they usually did a performance for us and then hosted really fun games after we would all chill by a bonfire and play guitar and sing songs. Was awesome.
Scuba diving is available and was so pretty! So much fish and lots of beautiful colourful coral.
Dorms and private rooms available. Food wasn't too bad however at all the islands it was roughly the same.
Would for sure go back!!

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Drossi01
Reviewed 10 April 2013

This was the 2nd of 3 resorts I stayed at - the resort itself, although compact is well-laid out, with a few hammocks scattered around. The beach is a bit ugly and unfriendly at low tide, and location wise its not terribly flash. Unfortunately due to being stuck in bed all day on my full day there (food poisoning from another resort) I didn't get to do the snorklling which apparently is fantastic. 2 nights is more than enough here, the staff were quire friendly, and the food was not half bad.

Room Tip: The dorm was more than satisfactory, mosquito nets all around, and well lit at night.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 January 2013

I stayed here in the 8 bed dorm and was pleasantly surprised with how nice the room was, we all had mosquito nets and the toilets and showers werent too bad either. The staff were pretty non existant but we were there on a sunday which is their day off so no activities ran which is a real shame! The food was hit and miss, sometimes we had 3 course meals and sonetimes we just had a bowl of rice. evening entertainment was the same both nights but its the same on most islands really, we had fun playing games. the beach is lovely and the hammocks are great its just a shame the place was let down by the staff.

Room Tip: the dorm is the cheapest and its really nice, mosquito nets and only one set of bunk beds in the who...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 November 2012

After reading all of the negative reviews we had very low expectations, but ended up having a great time! We were in a dorm with 8 beds (4 bunk beds) and had a really nice stay (2 nights here is ideal). Here are some details:

STAFF/SERVICE: Typical Fijian hospitality…very friendly and accommodating.

AMENITIES:
-We booked the Awesome Adventures “Lazy Threesome” Package, which included all meals. Past reviews really paint a dim picture on the food but we really enjoyed it and never went hungry (and I am a big eater). Breakfast included cereal, fruit and toast, lunch was typically one plate and vegetarian (not the most filling), but dinner was plentiful and one night they did a traditional Fijian feast cooked in the Lavo (the crab was great). They will ask if you have allergies but then do not actually review what you write so be sure to remind them before your meals. Drinking water was not provided with each meal so be prepared to buy a large water for $6.
-Drinks – Beer was about $5 and a rum with a can of coke was $10. *Tip - There is nothing stopping you from bringing your own bottle and mixer, but don’t wait until Port Denaru to do your shopping…it’s incredibly overpriced for booze.
-You can find coconuts and open them yourself for the milk and meat
-Electricity only during certain times of the day

ACTIVITIES:
-Not a whole lot to do besides relax, but we’re not complaining about that
-Ocean is decent but definitely not the clear blue water you might expect and we could not find good snorkeling (even at Honeymoon Beach)
-Swimming is good at high tide
-Nightly entertainment – We were only there 2 nights and both nights had almost identical dances. The crew is talented so this was more comical than actually annoying, although I couldn’t have sat through it for a 3rd night in a row. The games were really great…especially “Bang Bang” and “Water, Sand, Land”
-The staff lit a nice fire each nice…if you’re lucky like us you’ll have someone who can play guitar to make for the idyllic campfire sing-along before bed

ROOM/BATHROOM:
-We were really lucky to get the dorm over the water. Definitely request this over the dorms above the dining hall. At high tide, you are literally above the ocean and the sounds of waves lapping the shore couldn’t be more peaceful at night.
-Bathrooms and showers were clean. No hot water but the water temperature was fine. Water pressure was somewhat of an issue so test all available showers to find the best one.
-Flies were an issue on this island, so bring repellant and use it. Use the bug nets around the beds too (we didn’t but wish we did).

COMMON AREAS:
-Indoor dining area
-Outdoor entertainment and campfire area
-Hammocks
-Volleyball court

LOCATION:
-3.5 hours from Port Denaru
-Truly remote and wonderful to be that far from the mainland…just make sure you have any necessary medications very close by (including asthma sprays and epi pens if necessary)!

For more details about our trip, including pictures, check out our blog post here (copy and paste the link into your browser): http://thecarpediemcouple.com/2012/11/23/watching-the-tide-roll-in/

Cheers,
Mike (one half of The Carpe Diem Couple)

Room Tip: Make sure you get the dorm room over the ocean (not over the dining area).
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple