“private romantic adventure!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Yasawa Island
Bellingham, Washington, United States
“private romantic adventure!”
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Let me start by saying I will never book another vacation without the total help of an outstanding experienced travel agent.. that being Lori Evans from Heavenly Destinations. lori@heavenlyvacationsrus.com
www.heavenlyvacationsrus.com
Our 23 year anniversary trip was the best and Lori left every detail perfected and a dream come true! Yasawa was Her recommend and it lived up to and beyond her description of luxury and privacy! The staff, the Bure the locating was pure Fiji Paradise. The cuisine was spot on and to die for. We continue to dream about the private picnics on our secluded beach each day, complete with champagne and the best pistachio brownies we have ever had. The trip to the village to see authentic Fijians was beyond touching and these people are so loving and accommodating and let us invade their lives with open arms. We will never forget the Fijian hospitality. We loved everything about this slice of paradise. Our only regret was not doing a scuba dive. Next time we will for sure because they say you must go deeper to see the beauty which also lies below. Snorkeling was such fun and kayaking in the waves was my husbands favorite afternoon sport. We miss you Yasawa!

Room Tip: All the Bure locations are perfect!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank fijibound2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed 18 December 2013

I just spent a week at this lovely resort in the middle of the pacific ocean. I wanted to leave a review before I get caught up in my next adventure. I have visited about 15 countries in the past couple of years all for leisure, staying at the highest rated resorts and properties (5-7 stars). I'm a stickler for the best quality and experience. I also have realistic expectations when traveling to underdeveloped areas and am more forgiving with imperfections that are outside of the control of humans.

I must say that Yasawa Island Resort and the island itself exceeded my expectations. What I will always remember the most aside from the breathtaking views, peace, private beaches, excursions, vibrant & warm waters, delicious & fresh meals, are the people. Visiting this island and meeting the locals was so heart warming. It helped restore my faith in humanity. The Fijians here are so kind, open, generous, warm, welcoming, accommodating, and genuine. They value family and community above all else. I feel that there are so many lessons westerners can learn from their culture and practices. I feel so honored to have been allowed to visit the village and attend their church service. I cried watching them worship. You can feel their energy encompass you.

As for the typical details I'll try to review as much as I can recall. The suites had quite lovely layouts with a living room area, bedroom, two ceilings fans & a/c, mini refrigerator, separate bathroom and shower (no tub), as well as an outdoor shower, 3 decks including one to lounge and dine on. I was in Burres 10 and 15 during my stay. (I switched as I wanted to be moved to a room closer to the lobby.) During my stay there were a few power outages that didn't last more than a couple hours, and the wifi was down and/or slow quite a bit. The meals and fresh juices were fantastic! The seafood is especially delicious. The portions were normal, not supersized like in America. Every meal had a different menu, and unfortunately I ate all my desserts as well as snacked and had seconds, so I gained a couple kilos during my stay, lol. Fortunately they let me on the plane back to the mainland still. =)

Some of the activities I enjoyed were daily trips to the spa, Aggie was my wonderful massage therapist. I highly recommend the massage package if you're a spa junkie like me. I also had a facial, a special sunburn treatment, and I ended up buying their face regime products which I'm enjoying using already. I celebrated my birthday there. They made a special cake for me and sent some musicians to my room with instruments to sing and play for me, along with a seafood dinner on my deck in my bathrobe while watching a sunset. I also enjoyed having a picnic on a private beach on another part of the island, as well as dinner by the pool. I went snorkeling in front of the property and saw some lovely fish in the coral there. I visited the Blue Lagoon caves and did some snorkeling and swimming there too. They provide you with life vests, snorkel gear, and flippers if you forget yours. I went out to the look out on morning and enjoyed seeing the property and the area from above. It was a bit of a hike though, especially in the current summer heat. I visited the school grounds and met with some of the local women and children. I also got to meet one of the Chiefs grandsons and ask questions about the villages, clans, and culture on the island.

I took thousands of photos during my week stay and will try to pick my favorites to share, but photos will not do YIR justice. This is a place I think anyone who wants to check out or is on a soul searching journey will enjoy. I hope to come back soon to enjoy this special island.

Thank you James, Erin, Hannah, Emily, Manasa, Aggie, Charlie, Lita, Joe, and everyone else who made my stay extra special. Please don't change your ways. <3

Room Tip: All the rooms have their own hammock and lounge chairs on the beach. There really isn't a bad ro...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank SprVxn
YasawaResort, Owner at Yasawa Island Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Bula

Thank you so much for your comments. We are so glad you enjoyed the resort and we hope to see you again in paradise soon.

Vinaka,

James, Erin, Hannah and all the Yasawa family
Tauranga, New Zealand
Reviewed 18 November 2013

The world definitely stopped for us when we got to Yasawa. No TV, limited internet, absolute bliss. The staff were so friendly and helpful. The bure was excellent, yes there were bugs and yes we got bitten during our stay but hey, we get bitten by bugs at home here in NZ!
The private beach picnics are a highlight, just remember that the parasols don't provide full sun protection and we managed to get a little burnt despite sunscreen.
The snorkelling off the beach was stunning and trips to different areas each day.
The menu was limited with each meal only having three options (generally one meat, one fish and one vegetarian). These options changed each day and the food was cooked brilliantly.
Could go on and on about how much we enoyed the stay. Just hope that one day we get to go back.
Vinaka

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Reviewed 15 November 2013

Excellent resort for the getaway and relax holiday ( Fiji Time ! ). You can be as isolated or connected as you desire. Great for that adult experience without the pitter, patter of little feet and screaming kids. There are other islands for that and we go to those places with the family.

Delightful bures, excellent beach and snorkelling. Interesting dive sites and excursions. Private picnics to remote, pristine beaches. Excursions to Sawa-I-Lau Caves ( Blue Lagoon Caves ).

Great food and warm friendly staff.

PERFECT

Room Tip: The bures all have beach frontage and face North West. There is a more isolated Bure that has its ow...
1 Thank DOB018
Reviewed 15 November 2013

We recently spent 7 nights on YIR. From our first greeting our experience was most enjoyable. Our bure was spacious, comfortable and most satisfactory for our stay. The servicing was a little random, some days we didn't receive replacement for beach towels and we had to remind the staff to refill our mini-bar. But we have no problem with these minor matters. The staff were friendly, helpful and willing to fulfil any requests. I noted the comments about the bures being dated and management will need to ensure that the bures do not deteriorate and are kept at a standard that matches the other charming aspects of the resort.
Yes there are insects but this is an island resort, what else would we expect. We were charmed by the geckos.
The food was of a great standard, fresh, varied and tasty.
The actual island is beautiful. We particularly enjoyed the space, the 16 bures are spread out and one is very private in the surroundings.
The spa was a delightful experience.
Any number of activities are available, and we enjoyed the snorkelling trips and the beach picnic.
We would most definitely visit again. The Owners are not seeking to offer a highly sophisticated resort, if that is what you are wanting YIR will not be appropriate. But this is a stunning paradise with friendly Fijians who genuinely set out to please their guests. Just being in this environment was a blissful experience.

Room Tip: Any bure would be ideal because of the way they are spaced out and private.
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 10 November 2013

I stayed at YIR with my husband recently and though it's not perfect 5 star luxury, this place really charmed the pants off us.

THE MINUSES: I REALLY wanted to give this resort 5 stars, but the rooms! Argh the rooms were my biggest complaint. They look immaculate in the photos - in real life they tidy, but extremely dated. The shower and bathroom area suffer the worst - very green, 90's looking and in dire need of a facelift. We were shocked to see things like lots of peeling paint, broken tiles, rusted door handles and broken window shutters throughout the room. We even had copious amounts of gobbed yellow glue smeared across an upturned clam shell which was tacked to the wall of the shower to act as a soap dish holder. In short, the decor is not classy. Speaking to the staff about this they admit there hasn't been a proper upgrade/update made to the rooms in 25 years.

This resort is renowned on TA for its bugs and the reports are mostly true to story. I have grown up going camping in the outdoors so they didn't faze me too much - they ARE noticeable though, so if you absolutely hate creepy-crawlies, you won't like staying here. We went to sleep every night with 3 geckos staring down at us on the roof and always woke up with a couple of centipedes and roaches dead all over the ground (mostly because we sprayed bug spray each night). The problem is compounded however by the fact that ALL the doors have 1 inch gaps under them allowing anything and everything to crawl in at night. We ended up using towels to block them off which helped a bit.

THE PLUSES: Absolutely everything else. Food is delicious - so good we made ourselves ill almost every night eating everything we could fit! Staff are incredible and extremely friendly and attentive, activities were well organized and well attended by guests. Diving was spectacular! They offer a free learners course so don't miss out! Massages at the spa were out of this world, set in a private bure that opens out onto the beach…being massaged to the sound of the waves was incredible.

My husband and I swore this would be a once-in-a-lifetime splash out coming to this resort…buuuttt….despite the dated rooms and the bugs AND the weather being terrible the entire week that we visited, we loved it so much we are already planning to return sometime in the next 5-10 years. We would be especially keen if the bure's were renovated. :) If you can afford it, don't hesitate to go here! In the meantime, we certainly will be saving our pennies.

3 Thank OllyMox
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Had the most beautiful 5 days at the Yasawa Island Resort. It definitely lived up to the other review, so I will give a few tips so you can make the most of the experience!
-Go with an empty belly. The food is some of the best I have ever had, which was a surprise due to the remote location
-Take the spa package! I booked my massage for 8am every morning as a standing appointment, and it was a lovely way to start the day. It also meant I didn't have to leave activities in the middle of the day
-Do as many picnics as possible! Lovers beach 2 and Champagne beach were our pics

We had a standard room and it was just fabulous. You can't go wrong here, it really is paradise! (oh, and I must mention the staff- not one problem and they went over and above!)

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Turtle Island
Oarsman's Bay Lodge
Oarsman's Bay Lodge
#2 of 3 in Nacula Island

Been to Yasawa Island Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!