“Central Business Location”

Ranked #41 of 4,998 Hotels in Shanghai
Singapore, Singapore
“Central Business Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2012

The hotel is very conveniently located - the street at back of the hotel leads to the mall and Nanjing West Metro station.

I liked my room, the lovely lavender pillow from the pillow menu and the location. I stayed here 5 nights and loved my stay.

In breakfast, they served a bread and butter pudding (yeah! at breakfast!).... with the most amazing vanilla sauce. Don't miss it!

If you are here to only visit Shanghai, this may not be the best location. Stay closer to the Bund or the Yu garden.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank keentravellerDelhi
HotelManager-SSH, Public Relations Manager at Swissotel Grand Shanghai, responded to this review, 17 May 2012
Thank you for sharing with us your feedback, and good to know your like our pillow menu and breakfast. The pillow menu is specially for guests in Swissôtel worldwide, as we know a good sleep is how important. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Kuala Lumpur
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2012

It was my fifth trip to Shanghai, and my first time to a Swissotel brand. It was freezing when I checked in, and somehow, the friendly guest service assistant at the lobby forgot to inform us about the freezing conditions of my room. For the first time ever, I had to sleep with layers of clothing, ala man vs wild!
Fortunately, the next day, when i approached the front desk again, they were very concern about the state of my room (still dont know why it was freezing) and put in a heater for me.
The design of the room was very modern, almost in the same spirit of the Intercontinental Chengdu.
Location wise, it is smacked in the middle of town, within walking distance of major luxury brands mall. And dont forget to visit the nearby park, it was lovely.
Overall, nice hotel on the other side of Shanghai.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
It's nice to know you like the stay with us, enjoyed our room and surroundings. We hope you will visit us next time and more, we look forward to welcoming you back.
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2012

Stayed in this hotel in May 2012.
This hotel front line management and general management supervision should be reviewed.
The working staffs training are are trained like robot and follow their supervision management strictly to instructions without hospitality industry discretions.
A general mismangement training provided by their management supervisors.
I was very much embarassed, not customary to Swissotel stanfard.
Lawrence.

Room Tip: Think again !!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
HotelManager-SSH, Public Relations Manager at Swissotel Grand Shanghai, responded to this review, 11 May 2012
We appreciate and value your comments which you kindly brought to our attention. At Swissôtel Grand Shanghai we pride ourselves in delivering the highest levels of product and service and therefore we hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future so we can demonstrate this to you.--Jammy Zhang, Executive Assistant Manager
Santa Barbara
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2012

Everything about this place is great. Location is away from the hordes of tourists on the Bund. The room is as you would expect - perfect - and the staff is also wonderful. Loved the location and the hotel. The breakfast is off the charts amazing.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank PHCSantaBarbara
HotelManager-SSH, Public Relations Manager at Swissotel Grand Shanghai, responded to this review, 2 May 2012
Thank you for sharing with us your experience and enjoyment, look forward to your next stay with us.
Geelong, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

I have been fortunate enough to stay here twice. Beautiful hotel. Great service, luxurious rooms and terrific location. Metro station right next door and at the very western end of Nanjing Road. I loved the hotel pool!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
We are happy to know that you love our hotel and the stay with us. Your comment drives us to provide a better and nicer experience to our valuded guests. Look forward to welcoming you back soon.
hong kong
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

I only stayed here for a night. The bed and shower was comfortable, and the breakfast had many choices. Location is right at the city centre next to metro station too, very convenient. Definitely will come back again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
HotelManager-SSH, Public Relations Manager at Swissotel Grand Shanghai, responded to this review, 26 April 2012
It's really good to know you like our hotel and enjoy the services, facilities and location. We look forward to welcoming you back soon and have another wonderful experience at Swissôtel Grand Shanghai.
Oahu, Hawaii
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

I'm and currently staying in this hotel, room 827.

Room is beautiful and clean but...

1. My minibar - I went out for dinner and came back to my room I wanted a cold drink. The minibar refrigerator was totally warm. I had to go back out to a convenience store to get a drink.

2. I was stunned to hear that I had to pay for internet access in my room.
I travel abroad at least 4 times a year and stayed at more than twenty 2,3 and 4 star hotels.
I have never had to pay for internet, even at hotels that cost US$25 per night.
This standard of hotel should certainly include internet at no extra cost.

3. I asked for a small map of the area with restaurants. None was available.
Concierge gave me a large map of the city, circled this hotel and pointed the way.
I found my way and back but it was not the best experience for a first time tourist to the city, after a long flight, after dark.
A simple small map of local coffee shops and restaurants would have been much more helpful.

I'm curious to see if the manager reads reviews of his hotel and what his/her response might be.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Natto_HI
HotelManager-SSH, Manager at Swissotel Grand Shanghai, responded to this review, 20 April 2012
We do appreciate you share with us your comments and kind suggestion, we will consider it for future production. So far in Shanghai most of 5 Star International Hotels are charging for the Internet access, however in Swissôtel Grand Shanghai we provide complimentary Internet for room category of our Swiss Advantage Room and above. - Executive Assistant Manager